Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
You didn't miss much with the true ending to Sonic Chaos (or at least on the Master System version). After Eggman escapes in his lift, he drops the final Chaos Emerald and then the ending is just Sonic running back with a massive Chaos Emerald over him which changed colour every so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I can't wait until you get to Sonic Underground. I still can't believe that the show actually existed and wasn't some kind of pizza induced nightmare I had.

I had forgotten about that show. Well, I say "forgotten". It was more me blocking it from memory due to how terrible it was.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Dzhay posted:

You know, as a kid, I only had a Megadrive up until I got an N64, and none of my close friends has Game Gears or Master Systems. With pre-internet information availability, there basically were only five-and-a-half Sonic games* as far as I knew... I think that did a lot to improve my opinion of the series.

(*And Mean Bean Machine, but that doesn't count. Spinball does.)

Sonic Jam was the game that made me want to get a Saturn when I was younger, and it wasn't until I tried the 3D world that I realised how many Sonic games there had been.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
While I was already aware of the links to Jackson in Sonic 3, that was a really thorough and detailed video that shed way more light on things than I would have expected. Thanks for that.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

That game is at least somewhat comical. The literal sticking something up a digital girl's rear end one however...

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
There are no special stages on the boss stages, and the fifth stage in each zone is the boss one.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Corrode posted:

That was the cover I knew as a kid, I thought it was great :shrug:

Same here. I always thought it was cool too, so you're not alone.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
In Studiopolis 2, you guys were wondering what "Gallop Lotto" was. Gallop is the sponsor on the back of the Hornet car from Daytona, and yes, the Hornet truck in act 1 was indeed another Daytona reference. As for Pink Bot, that's a reference to the Pine Pot Cafe in the first stage of Streets of Rage.

I'm pretty sure Drop Dash is done by pressing and holding the jump button a second time after jumping. I think that just holding it down once doesn't work. As for the special stages, there are 32 blue sphere ones and getting perfects on all of them is a bitch. You only need 25 rings to get into them though.

Also, Knuckles is the worst character in the game due to his jump height. There are three bosses that are absolute hell with him (Studiopolis 2 is one of them because you can only hit him during the sunny forecast, and RNG can screw you over so much).

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Now that the Steam version is out, I can play through a second time. I've already completed it 100% with Sonic/Tails and Tails only and all special stage gold medals, and now I'm doing Knuckles. You know it's going to be a good run when you've not finished Studiopolis 1 and you've already got all the Chaos Emeralds.

Oh, and the music in Stardust Speedway is definitely the Japanese/European version. They seem to be using the US theme for him Metal Sonic in Forces though. Also, the Metal Sonic/Silver Sonic phase of the fight is much harder with the super form because when you spindash the Silver Sonics, they go flying off screen at a speed and angle that won't hit Metal Sonic.

Kurieg posted:

You can hit him during the windy forecast too, if he's above you you can let go of the bar, hit him, and bounce back to the bar.

Thanks for the tip. It'll hopefully make the fight against him easier with Knuckles.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

ricdesi posted:

Ha, I knew it! I always liked the JP soundtrack better, to be honest.

For me, it just sounded more Sonic-like, plus after hearing the US version of Quartz Quadrant years and years ago, I think I'd rather be deaf than go through that stage with that theme again.

ricdesi posted:

I've heard this from a few people, I think that's a solid compromise between what would normally be a pretty big schism of two camps of Metal Sonic theme fans.

I'll always prefer the JP version, but I'm not going to lose any sleep or shed any tears over not having it in Forces. I'd rather not be like certain people on the internet. *cough* Idiots crying about 17 being a puppet character for 18 in DBFZ. *cough*

ricdesi posted:

That's hilarious, ha. Does Super Sonic jump any higher than regular Sonic? Wondering if just attacking Metal Sonic directly is a possibility.

Super Sonic does jump higher (about 1.5-2x higher), but the only way to damage Metal Sonic at that point is with the Silver Sonics. Also, I was wrong. You can spindash them when in super form but you can only do it when they're in the corner. Doing it as soon as they spawn makes them bounce out of the screen and not come back (in normal form they bounce off screen but return and hit him on something like the fourth bounce). I'm pretty sure Super Knuckles still jumps the same height though. *shakes fist at the Studiopolis 2 boss*

That said, I avoid going Super Sonic in Stardust Speedway 2 because both the regular and boss themes are too drat good.

I think the bubble was in Sonic 2 on Master System. I distinctly remember an almost sunken ship level which was all black and green and having to use them to get around. There is at least one more MS Sonic reference as well later on, when Knuckles fights one of his exclusive bosses (and by that I mean it's literally the same boss and attack pattern).

Finally, the Hard Boiled Heavy of Mirage Saloon (Heavy Magician) is actually female. The pink one with the giant Moto Bug and a mace (Heavy Rider) is also female. The other three (King, Gunner, and Shinobi) are male. Knuckles has his other exclusive boss fight against one of them in a later level which has an amusing opening (and proves that he is actually capable of learning).

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I don't want to see Honey come back simply because I'm afraid of a Sonic and Honey situation in the style of Sonic and Elise.

Now, if they brought back Honey in the way of Fighting Vipers 3, yes, I'd like that a lot. Even more so if Mahler came back in an updated version of his ultra badass FV2 form.

Oh, and Mighty kinda appears in Mirage Saloon. The rolling robots from Sonic 1 have his colour scheme. Also, the annoying bird robots have Wave from the Riders games colours.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Even if you don't get all the emeralds in one playthrough, it has the S3&K thing of being able to go back once the game is completed to a previous stage and get the chaos rings again.

The easiest chaos ones to get are at the very beginning of Press Garden 1 and Oil Ocean 1. They just involve you staying as low in the stage as possible. Press Garden's involves you backtracking a bit after about 20 seconds of going forward, while Oil Ocean's involves a hidden pit underneath the first fire shield you get. Both can be got in 20-25 seconds. Oil Ocean 2 has one under the upside down flame shield, but you need to fall through the sinking oil pit in the middle to find another hidden pit that lets you through. Knuckles has a very easy one to get in Green Hil as well, so he can use that. He has another quick one at the beginning of Mirage Saloon 1 but you can die if you're not careful.

Also, the easiest way to do the stages is less getting the blue spheres and more collecting rings and taking shortcuts. As long as you get to mach 2, you'll be fine (mach 3 is faster but way more dangerous when cornering without bumpers). Also, the boxes with a blue arrow give you an immediate mach level up, so get those if you can.

Larryb posted:

There actually is a Level Select code in this game (for the Switch version at any rate), hold B & Y as the title screen is loading up and then press any button. It also provides an alternate means of playing the true final boss if you don't manage to get all the emeralds in this playthrough.

It's in the PS4 and Steam versions too (and most likely XB1), but you have to do it from the "No Save" and the secrets menu instead of the title screen and with X and Y/Square and Triangle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
To be honest, once I got gold on all the bonus stages, I just used them to cancel the Super Sonic transformation and conserve rings if I picked up a shield while transformed (unless it was a lightning shield as that makes keeping rings high far easier).

If you do decide to do the scummy stage select chaos ring thing, the Oil Ocean is the easiest to get to. Just get to the first fire shield after one of the green pipe launching platforms, stay in the same position as the box, fall to the oil below, head right while in the oil to some fans, then use them to go up and to the left and the ring is there. If you get the emerald, you don't need to finish the stage. You can just quit out of it and repeat. In my opinion, the fifth and sixth ones are the hardest. Seventh is pretty easy if you know the route. Cutting corners in the stages helps shave distance between you and the UFO as well.

Also, a couple of things for you. Firstly, all three of the Sonic 3 shields will make a LOT of projectiles bounce off them. This includes Buzz Bomber, the seahorses and octopuses/octopi/whatever in Oil Ocean, the exploding rock things in Lava Reef, and more, so a lot of enemies aren't too dangerous when you have them. The Sonic 1/2 shield doesn't do this and aside from taking one hit of damage is pretty much useless compared to the others.

Fire shield in Lava Reef still makes you nigh on un-killable. You can walk on lava safely, go through flame jets and lava eruptions, and generally be safe from any fire or hot surface.

And yes, Titanic Monarch is on Little Planet. Remember the giant Eggman building you were wondering about at the end of Stardust Speedway 2? There's your answer.

Finally, read this only after you've beaten the true final boss.
Go back and watch the Sonic Forces E3 trailer again and tell me what you hear.