Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Still catching up on this, but: Americans know about Sonic the Comic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

Tails managed to beat Metal Sonic is way less tries than Sonic. Who's the real sidekick here?

Up to Sonic 3, Tails could do anything Sonic could, but also fly.

Speaking of Tails; how does his AI in Sonics 2 and 3 actually work? It seems programmed to try spin dashes at certain points...

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Not making this version of Sonic canonical once the games decided to have a story for some reason was a mistake. Discuss.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

You know, as a kid, I only had a Megadrive up until I got an N64, and none of my close friends has Game Gears or Master Systems. With pre-internet information availability, there basically were only five-and-a-half Sonic games* as far as I knew... I think that did a lot to improve my opinion of the series.

(*And Mean Bean Machine, but that doesn't count. Spinball does.)

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Part 2 doesn't seem to be working...

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

So what was the originally planed level order for Sonic 3? They must have adjusted a few of them a bit to keep the difficulty curve reasonable.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Ah, so you'd still stop the Death Egg halfway. (and there'd still be no water in the back half of the game)

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

There's an eighth special stage (and emerald) you can get to by cheating in both Sonic 3 and S&K. Back when I last cared about Sonic things the rumour was that Sega were going to continue the pattern of 1 more emerald per game, is there any truth to that?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

ricdesi posted:

It's pretty amusing to me just how much easier the Sonic 2 Special Stages tend to be, compared to the Sonic 3 ones. Total cakewalk, am I right?

I'd disagree, but I spent a lot of time Getting Blue Spheres. Which is your next game, right? :unsmigghh:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

ricdesi posted:

And the Sonic Adventure series is still fantastic today (despite astonishingly primitive cutscenes and controls schemes that seem to plague Sonic Team to this day). I'd happily take Sonic Adventure 3 any day now (which is what I have a sneaking suspicion "Sonic 2017" might end up being).

Having seen a few people (some of them on this site) play Sonic Adventure recently, mainly to make fun of it, I've noticed their versions seem a lot buggier than what I remember. Selective memory on my part, or porting issues?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

ricdesi posted:

I'm gonna call it canon, because gently caress it, why not.

Along with the time Sonic spent ~100 years getting blue spheres?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Caught up with... oh, actually more videos than you've posted in the thread, ricdesi.

Whichever of your co-commentators keeps making fun of the Tails theme is doing it a bit of a disservice: he's clearly singing the SA2 version of the song, which was an, uh, ambitious cover. I mean, I see what they were going for, but they really had to torture the metre to make the same lyrics fit. The Sonic Adventure version is actually pretty decent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEZ2UNKrm8c

And now I've unironically* defended a piece of post-megadrive Sanic music, so I guess I need to go and open a Deviantart account.

(*my spell-checker wants to correct this to "ultrasonically")

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

It begins.

Also: aagh! Where's that sprite from?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Yeah, I'm sure the Dreamcast versions weren't quite this buggy... or we just had lower standards back then and had already learned to avoid trying to bounce around in the corners of the level geometry from other games.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

So... Chao time?

I realised I remembered more of this game then I thought... when I was shouting at the screen because you "obviously" needed to go to some place the game had given you no indication of.

(I mean, switching players so often probably wasn't helping with learning the geography, but still)

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I haven't been commenting as I've been waiting to play this game on PC. I finished it (well, got to the end with three emeralds...) last night.

I'd like to thank this LP series for reminding, and occasionally informing, me of half the references this game makes.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Sorry for commenting on videos you haven't posted yet, but: I haven't had much time to play this lately, so I've effectively been stuck on special stage 5 for a week and a half.

I am now angry. (and curious to see if I can reproduce that glitch...)

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I'm not sorry:

Not just me, right?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Thank god shuffle is over...
Anyway, because we wouldn't want anyone to miss out, here are all the Knuckles raps so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZhyApeu1qs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKK3J2h1nGA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6i9dhtX4Ns

If you can ignore how dumb the lyrics are, Aquatic Mine's not bad...

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Kurieg posted:

They grabbed the chao key while the game was trying to despawn it due to it's distance from the camera. Which is why it stayed as the 3d model at the top of the screen rather than a chao head sprite. Then when they beat the game it tried to send them to the Chao garden but they didn't actually have the key so it sent them to levelid 0.

I'd love to see the source code to understand how something this dumb can happen.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

There're still a few of the GBA sanics to get through first, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Man, this game seems much better now that I can actually see it.