Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Y-Hat posted:

yes, also in south texas where it's majority mexican

an independent texas will be an unholy combination of a libertopia, an evangelical christian version of iran, and apartheid south africa. meanwhile america will look from afar, watch it burn, and laugh

It's a pipe dream though. It's on the same level as those heros who fantasize about the government using the military against citizens, and being able to stop those guys with their nine mil and 12 gauge. A. That's loving stupid and B it will never happen.

The people with money and power in Texas know where their interests lie. To even think they would allow something like a texit referendum is to rest at the edge of madness. Oh, they'll yell a bunch of racist "do it the texas way or GIT OUT" bs to appease the lunatic fringe but they won't actually harm their own financial and political interests by trying to do something that the entire south has already been owned pretty hard for trying.

Texas sits good in the union anyway. The economy pretty much owns and we are extremely well represented, both politically and through the alphabet soup agencies, in the federal government. It's quite good for the movers and shakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
my favorite combination of political bumperstickers during the primary season was the ever present SECEDE with a Cruz 16 on top of it:ironicat:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Nathilus posted:

It's a pipe dream though. It's on the same level as those heros who fantasize about the government using the military against citizens, and being able to stop those guys with their nine mil and 12 gauge. A. That's loving stupid and B it will never happen.
Every time I hear somebody talk about some kind of civil war I have to open my mouth and say "nobody wants that. it would be an absolute nightmare that nobody could escape from. it would ruin our country and then the world. there will be table-talks before it ever gets that ugly and your dumbo zombie/race war/rapture whatever will never happen because even greedy stupid people don't want to fight to the death over canned goods."

And yet people keep building "shelters" that won't ever get used and wouldn't work even if they got a chance.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

phasmid posted:

Every time I hear somebody talk about some kind of civil war I have to open my mouth and say "nobody wants that. it would be an absolute nightmare that nobody could escape from. it would ruin our country and then the world. there will be table-talks before it ever gets that ugly and your dumbo zombie/race war/rapture whatever will never happen because even greedy stupid people don't want to fight to the death over canned goods."

And yet people keep building "shelters" that won't ever get used and wouldn't work even if they got a chance.

This is why I am moving to Florida. At least there the bunker has a use in the hurricane season.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Nathilus posted:

Texas sits good in the union anyway. The economy pretty much owns and we are extremely well represented, both politically and through the alphabet soup agencies, in the federal government.
yeah but your political representatives are, bar none, the biggest and stupidest assholes in america, and that's why you need to leave: so you can stop infecting america with such stupid pieces of poo poo

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

RFC2324 posted:

This is why I am moving to Florida. At least there the bunker has a use in the hurricane season.

bunker's gonna fill up with water/be underwater in a hurricane

invest in guns and airboats

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

City of Tampa posted:

bunker's gonna fill up with water/be underwater in a hurricane

Still more useful than the bunkers here in TX.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Nathilus posted:

It's on the same level as those heros who fantasize about the government using the military against citizens, and being able to stop those guys with their nine mil and 12 gauge.

ehh no but it would make the Obamanation Military Police have to work for it, at least. Not like Britain, where all the government would need is a knife over 12 inches to rout the entire population into the extermination camps.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Y-Hat posted:

yeah but your political representatives are, bar none, the biggest and stupidest assholes in america, and that's why you need to leave: so you can stop infecting america with such stupid pieces of poo poo

Before you fully melt down about the existence of Texas, remember that you posted this for real:

I was with my girlfriend last night (March 17th) and I decided to check Tweetdeck on my computer. Being a curious woman, she asked if she could see my timeline of tweets. I was hesitant for a couple of seconds, but I decided to let her look. While we were scrolling down, however, I felt kind of embarrassed- not because of the fact that my tweets were bad (they usually are, but that’s not the point), but because I was worried that she’d ask what one of them meant. Just today, something clicked for me: if I’m embarrassed about being on Twitter, then what’s the point of being on there?

There have been plenty of ugly incidents involving people in our corner of Twitter, but something particularly nasty that unfolded over the past couple of days was the last straw for me. Somebody tweeted a link to a friend’s GoFundMe page asking for money to get a flight from Colorado to New York City so that she could attend her Birthright Israel trip. I never took advantage of the free trip when I was eligible for it due to a few philosophical disagreements that I will not get into here, but I knew many people in college who went and had a great time. I can’t begrudge someone for taking a Birthright trip, but a lot of people in my circle of friends certainly did. Nobody deserves awful treatment from internet strangers- certainly not the friend of someone who, to my knowledge, has never contributed to Twitter’s constant culture of negativity. It was bad enough that people were piling on this person’s friend for ideological crimes, but donating $5 under the alias “Adolf Hitler” was a new, horrifying low.

I shouldn’t have to make excuses about Twitter drama to people who aren’t in the loop, and I’d have a hell of a time making excuses for this. If I leave out the concept of “ironic humor” while explaining why this happened, you’d probably think that this was flat-out anti-Semitic. But even when I explain it in the proper context, I still have to concede that this is an extraordinarily stupid thing to do. I certainly wouldn’t blame you if you still thought that the person who did this is an anti-Semite. I used to enjoy interacting with my Twitter pals, but today, I feel ashamed and angry about them, and I let people know about that in ways that I sometimes regret.

Proud ex-Twitter user Cliff Vickrey explained the poisonous atmosphere of “Weird Twitter” here. I cannot stress enough that you should read his blog post [http://www.cliffordvickrey.com/2015/why-i-left-twitter/] - he has a way with words and he’s also very funny. A couple of days ago, I was texting a friend that I first met through meetups with people from Twitter (or, if you want to use the bad portmanteau, I met him through “tweetups”). He told me that no one he knew had a problem with me until I started getting angry about some people on Twitter. Frankly, simply being a part of this circle of people makes me angry, and all the reasons about why Cliff left Twitter apply to me as well. I’ve quit being a regular part of a few websites in the past because they stopped being enjoyable. For that reason, I finally know that leaving Twitter would be my best course of action.

Don’t worry- this is not goodbye. I won’t be tweeting, but I will keep my account open so that I can leave this note pinned on my page. I really do like many of you, but I don’t feel like alienating any more people than I already have, so I can’t talk to you here. You can find me on Facebook, Skype, or Google Hangouts- just send me a Twitter DM and I’ll give you my information. And please, try to start being nice to each other- I know a lot of you are good people. “Tane” care!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Y-Hat posted:

Texas should be designated as a sewage treatment area and sealed off from the rest of the country. The resulting fertilizer would be rich in the dissolved corpses of all the idiot poo poo stains who think it's the best state because they've literally never left their own zip code.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Y-Hat posted:

Lol you just got owned bitch

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Goku on the ballet in 2020

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Also lol at all the idiots in GBS who think a democrat lost THE GOP COUNTY SEAT to a republican. Democrats don't run for GOP positions and second of all Travis county is a liberal mecca second only to San Francisco or maybe Portland.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

emoji posted:

Before you fully melt down about the existence of Texas, remember that you posted this for real:

I was with my girlfriend last night (March 17th) and I decided to check Tweetdeck on my computer. Being a curious woman, she asked if she could see my timeline of tweets. I was hesitant for a couple of seconds, but I decided to let her look. While we were scrolling down, however, I felt kind of embarrassed- not because of the fact that my tweets were bad (they usually are, but that’s not the point), but because I was worried that she’d ask what one of them meant. Just today, something clicked for me: if I’m embarrassed about being on Twitter, then what’s the point of being on there?

There have been plenty of ugly incidents involving people in our corner of Twitter, but something particularly nasty that unfolded over the past couple of days was the last straw for me. Somebody tweeted a link to a friend’s GoFundMe page asking for money to get a flight from Colorado to New York City so that she could attend her Birthright Israel trip. I never took advantage of the free trip when I was eligible for it due to a few philosophical disagreements that I will not get into here, but I knew many people in college who went and had a great time. I can’t begrudge someone for taking a Birthright trip, but a lot of people in my circle of friends certainly did. Nobody deserves awful treatment from internet strangers- certainly not the friend of someone who, to my knowledge, has never contributed to Twitter’s constant culture of negativity. It was bad enough that people were piling on this person’s friend for ideological crimes, but donating $5 under the alias “Adolf Hitler” was a new, horrifying low.

I shouldn’t have to make excuses about Twitter drama to people who aren’t in the loop, and I’d have a hell of a time making excuses for this. If I leave out the concept of “ironic humor” while explaining why this happened, you’d probably think that this was flat-out anti-Semitic. But even when I explain it in the proper context, I still have to concede that this is an extraordinarily stupid thing to do. I certainly wouldn’t blame you if you still thought that the person who did this is an anti-Semite. I used to enjoy interacting with my Twitter pals, but today, I feel ashamed and angry about them, and I let people know about that in ways that I sometimes regret.

Proud ex-Twitter user Cliff Vickrey explained the poisonous atmosphere of “Weird Twitter” here. I cannot stress enough that you should read his blog post [http://www.cliffordvickrey.com/2015/why-i-left-twitter/] - he has a way with words and he’s also very funny. A couple of days ago, I was texting a friend that I first met through meetups with people from Twitter (or, if you want to use the bad portmanteau, I met him through “tweetups”). He told me that no one he knew had a problem with me until I started getting angry about some people on Twitter. Frankly, simply being a part of this circle of people makes me angry, and all the reasons about why Cliff left Twitter apply to me as well. I’ve quit being a regular part of a few websites in the past because they stopped being enjoyable. For that reason, I finally know that leaving Twitter would be my best course of action.

Don’t worry- this is not goodbye. I won’t be tweeting, but I will keep my account open so that I can leave this note pinned on my page. I really do like many of you, but I don’t feel like alienating any more people than I already have, so I can’t talk to you here. You can find me on Facebook, Skype, or Google Hangouts- just send me a Twitter DM and I’ll give you my information. And please, try to start being nice to each other- I know a lot of you are good people. “Tane” care!

this is a shameful post lol

keep doing gods work forums poster emoji

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Y-Hat posted:

Yeah no doubt. I'm not gonna apologize, I sure as gently caress don't own any of them.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Also lol at all the idiots in GBS who think a democrat lost THE GOP COUNTY SEAT to a republican. Democrats don't run for GOP positions and second of all Travis county is a liberal mecca second only to San Francisco or maybe Portland.

Its still not as bad as either. They just want to be.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

emoji posted:

I liked the part about how he wouldnt get into why he declined his birthright trip over philosophical reasons and then barreled right into multiple paragraphs of even more embarassing unrelated pointless personal disgruntlement

Come to Texas Y-Hat we have beaches and bbq thatll clear the poop out of your soul right quicklike

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

Nostratic posted:

Texas should be designated as a sewage treatment area and sealed off from the rest of the country. The resulting fertilizer would be rich in the dissolved corpses of all the idiot poo poo stains who think it's the best state because they've literally never left their own zip code.

I grew up in rural TX... If you depopulated the place and flooded it with raw sewage, I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

emoji posted:

lmao

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Still more useful than the bunkers here in TX.

Wrong. Bunkers are for tornadoes.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

thank you emoji

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

hemophilia posted:

thank you emoji

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ay harambA

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

emoji posted:

wtf does this have to do with texas or politics you wank

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

The Unholy Ghost posted:

wtf does this have to do with texas or politics you wank

It's relevant because everyone already knows that Rob Morrow is based and that Y-Hat guy was making GBS threads up the thread with his extremely powerful mental illness.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Texas trying hard to be the butt of the joke from Florida

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
The main thing everyone needs to take away from this is DON'T MOVE TO AUSTIN

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

gnarlyhotep posted:

are you one of those "i heard of this band first" types of guys

do you have the faded tshirt and everything

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Drunk & Ugly posted:

are you one of those "i heard of this band first" types of guys

do you have the faded tshirt and everything

no I just don't want any more people moving here, it's crowded enough already

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
oh ok

man i miss whataburger. i never lived in austin im just saying i know there are whataburgers in texas and i thought we could bond over that

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
there are no whataburgers in texas, do not move here, and if you accidently already moved here, go abck to your obama sponsored hellhole immediately

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Austin is pretty much a place you should visit but unless you attend or work for the university of texas if you live there you're pretty much just yuppie scum.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What are the chances the guy in OP is a goon?

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

hemophilia posted:

Austin is pretty much a place you should visit, unless you intend to serve out your miserable existence as a barista or a retail associate

There, fixed.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

gnarlyhotep posted:

Are you saying I shouldn't sign the closing papers on this cool $600k 1200 sq ft poo poo shack in east Austin?

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a tie dyed keep Austin weird shirt and everything

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Drunk & Ugly posted:

oh ok

man i miss whataburger. i never lived in austin im just saying i know there are whataburgers in texas and i thought we could bond over that

there are and they are delicious after a long day at the beach or on a boat

try them poop style w mustard pickels bacon extra onions and jalapeños if the peeners too hot try a frosty malt they come in strawberry and two other flavors that arent strawberry

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

gently caress the ROW posted:

there are no whataburgers in texas, do not move here, and if you accidently already moved here, go abck to your obama sponsored hellhole immediately

Ahh yup.

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
He's just keeping Austin lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Me after looking at the thwitter :yikes:

• Locked thread