Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Rev posted:

Now I am totally lost, if the card was at fault, shouldn’t it have also died in the other machine…and if something else was at fault in my rig, shouldn’t my rig have died even with the 970 in?

Sometimes a computer problem involves a multilayered conflict. A video card could have an issue/physical defect that shows up more readily within the confines of a certain system.

There's a tendency to want to assess 100% blame to one thing and 0% to another but that's not always the logical reality.

The Rev posted:

Even though my problem is “fixed” I feel that I’ve not really learned anything and am afraid it could come back at any time. That and why would my card work just fine in Slot #2, but fail in Slot #1 when the 970 was tested in Slot #1 with zero issues?

A bad slot or a bad physical connection. Certain cards are less compatible with certain motherboards (BIOS updates usually fix this).

EVGA doesn't have the greatest GPU reputation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread