Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mirage posted:

"Hey, you were in ReLIFE last year too? What a coincidence! What school?"

--Somebody with a lick of sense, a.k.a. nobody in this manga

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/ReLIFE/report219--Overlap?id=404455

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Sorry what's the in-universe reason for not just reminding them afterward

like, especially since they both work for the loving company now?

this is getting too stupid to withstand

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
This sure would have been a great fluffy feelings payoff it it had happened like 20 chapters ago.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/ReLIFE/report220--Memory-Fragments?id=405395

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

awwwwwww yisssssssssssssssssssssssss

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm so glad this is happening.

I'm so happy for the two of them.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

:havlat: gently caress YEAH :havlat:

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Hooray! It happened!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymMyhqSrsG8

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I don't care if this goes against what was previously established in the manga, I'm still marking out.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
That went way better than I expected. :bisonyes:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Now they just need to kiss already dammit :argh:

Although that can come after they have the "wait you were in ReLIFE this entire time" conversation.

God I hope it's awkwardly cute.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Totally not having a stupid grin at work
I'm not crying you're crying

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE! :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqKfIAhPuaQ

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

MJP posted:

Totally not having a stupid grin at work
I'm not crying you're crying
My eyes were super dry today, so those aren't tears. I'm just lubricating my eyes.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Sadly, the forgetting brainworm virus is still in their systems, so they instantly forget each other every time they look away. Their lives from now on are essentially a combination of "50 First Dates" and the Silence from Doctor Who.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
New chapter!!!!

https://mangadex.org/chapter/135869

Next week is the last!!!!!!

I'm so happy for these two!!!!!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Hate-Senpai posted:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hate-Senpai posted:

New chapter!!!!

https://mangadex.org/chapter/135869

Next week is the last!!!!!!

hahahaha, the "goddamn, I'm not gonna restrain myself anymore" bit

they're adorkable together

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
This is the cheesiest poo poo and I love every part of it

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

pretty sure steam came out of my ears like in a cartoon after that

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Ahhh it finally happened, I'm glad I stopped reading like 20 chapters ago then caught up now.

While I saw the whole "they both work at ReLife" ending coming a mile away, it's still funny to see it happen. The ReLife corporation is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding ReLife corporation.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
So it really sounds like Kaizaki is going to be helping Ohga's brother. But that would mean he has to be a kid again...and Hishiro looks like she's in the science / medical division, so there might be an age gap.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Annnnnd that's it.

I really liked this series. The premise is ridiculous but it's handled in such a kindhearted way that I rooted for all of these dorks the entire way.

Would've liked a little more focus on Kaizaki and Hishiro at the end, but so it goes. I'll miss Re:Life!

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I can't be too upset at the final arc, patronizing as it felt. The payoff was ultimately worth it. Gonna miss having this series to read every week.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
It had a strong start, but I feel that it kind of ran out of gas and just awkwardly dragged itself across the finish line.
Kaizaki and Hishiro feeling sad about their ReLife and their eternal waffling about was nowhere near as compelling a conflict as the issues the actual kids had to deal with and dragged on for far too long. It's a very damned if they do, damned if they don't, since too many kids having too many serious problems in the same place might've detracted from the overall narrative and ended up being rather contrived.
That said, I liked it overall, but I'm happy that it's over.

I enjoyed it a lot for the nostalgic moments of old man trying to help these kids with their silly drama as well as the juxtaposition of school bullying and work place bullying.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
glad that smile was protected

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I'm a bit disappointed by that ending. I honestly would have liked another chapter of Kaizaki and Hishiro talking things out, a little going into what Hishiro settled in with ReLIFE, and how she feels about him going back in. Definitely looked like the author was on a schedule and needed to wrap things up.

But, it's a nice ending either way. Calling back to Ohga's brother was obvious a mile away, but sometimes what we expect is the best way to have it. And it looks like Kaizaki learned how to be a troll from the best.

Overall, a very good series. I hope they do an anime of the back half. A lot of good stuff happened after the Hishiro reveal, and the anime could help glide through the pacing issues at the end there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not everything necessarily needs a WHAT A TWEEST turn to the story, though they can be good. Ohga's brother being the next Relife subject is perfectly reasonable. Really the low point in the series for me was explaining the tech behind Relife at all, that's some midichlorians poo poo.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Yeah, honestly I feel like all of that wasn't necessary. I would have just accepted "you can't meet them afterwards, you'll freak them out" and the main reason they didn't want Kaizaki and Hishiro to know yet would be they wanted to make sure they could adjust properly as adults on their own.

Like, that could be just as interesting and dynamic but welp.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Trying to explain the contrivance that gives rise to the narrative can be a mistake.

What they did here reminded me of Orange, which aired last year from what I remember. Without spoiling too much, it had some time travel shenanigans as part of its setup. But the series, in tone, was never about the time travel stuff or attempts at world building, explaining a world in which time travel is possible, or its implications or anything that would concern this matter. It's merely an excuse to have the plot that it wanted to portray and it much rather focused around the issues of someone that doesn't know how to deal with a problem they didn't even know about now trying to fix that problem.
And in that they eventually explained it in that show off-handedly with some dumb comments about "black holes, I guess", but it's weird when a writer doesn't understand that it's completely unnecessary to the narrative.
It's fiction, it doesn't need to be explained when it isn't important to the story they want to tell and would sooner detract or shift the tone of the series away from the actual focus.

I guess they needed the midichlorian stuff for further drama because "oh no, my memories", but I didn't think it worked out.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

that's some midichlorians poo poo.

Zwiebel posted:

I guess they needed the midichlorian stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZEdDMQZaCU

:mad:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is saying something is being too stupidly nerdy and needlessly overexplanatory by way of perhaps the most well-known example of it in media really that bad

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Honestly? The worst thing about the SUPER MEMORY ERASING VIRUS DRUG stuff is that the series really managed to do it right for the first... 9/10ths of the run. The premise is just dropped in your lap and never explained: "Yeah take this, now you're in high school, get over it". Like, we didn't need the mechanism explained because the explanation could never hold up to scrutiny, and if it doesn't hold up to scrutiny then it's just patronizing.

It's completely forgivable in light of the ending, and probably reads at least a little better taken all at once, but it absolutely could have been glossed over the same way the rest of the pseudo-science was to no detriment.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, sorry: I just really dislike that one particular word. You could say I got 'triggered'. My bad.

Funny thing, though! Between the first Jurassic Park and the OG Star Wars trilogy, you could basically make 9 year-old me do whatever chore you needed done if it allowed me to watch one of them.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Regarding the ending, I really really just wanted a bit more of adult Kaizaki x Hishiro. Hishiro needs to be protected and, after rewatching the anime, I've grown even more fond of Kaizaki (Kensho Ono was a pretty ace casting choice).

Also, Arata bringing forth his inner Ryo with his former classmates was pretty fun. :mmmhmm:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah its a bad trope of romance series that it ends after they tie up the romance rather than actually exploring past it

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Wark Say posted:

Also, Arata bringing forth his inner Ryo with his former classmates was pretty fun. :mmmhmm:

HE BECAME WHAT HE HATED

I laughed. Well, it'll be weird not having any manga I'm following anymore. First the dumbpire now relife. I need something stupid and merry.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Have you not been following dungeon meshi, tamen de gushi, or horimiya? For shame

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Have you not been following dungeon meshi, tamen de gushi, or horimiya? For shame

I don't know what any of those are! What are those?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dungeon meshi is legit my second favorite manga ever, about a D&D dungeon diving team who cooks and eats the monsters they slay as they go deeper into the dungeon, complete with totally realistic depictions of preparing completely fantastical foods, it's extremely good and funny, and the art is great

Tamen de gushi is a manwha (?) yuri comedy with good fairly unique artwork for the genre and most of the characters are great

Horimiya is a high school romcom where the two leads get together early on and then it's shenanigans with them and the rest of the cast, who can get a bit samefacey at times but it's usually really genuinely funny and cute