Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I always read this as the bureau of land management

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Pick posted:

I always read this as the bureau of land management

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

we're all savages - some of us are just a little nobler than others

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

mr_cramalldees posted:

There are two categories of people.

1. People that bitch because there is a legitimate problem and they are advocating a solution.

2. People that bitch for the sake of bitching, and have no interest in the legitimacy of a problem or actually solving anything.

The BLM movement stands firmly in the latter category.

Parts of BLM are directly addressing a very serious problem; communities like Ferguson are all over this country. In poor communities police are extremely aggressive and totally unaccountable. There are many local governments that use arbitrary and ridiculous laws to treat poor black people as an ATM machine.

poo poo like Chicago paying out $500 million in police brutality settlements while simultaneously closing schools in poor neighborhoods due to lack of funds deserves attention and outrage and wouldn't get either if we just left it up to the media and elected Democrats.

You gotta separate the Ferguson BLM from the MIzzou/Yale BLM because they aren't remotely the same thing. The people in Ferguson live their lives under attack from a deeply corrupt local government and police force. The kid that was on a hunger strike at Mizzou has a dad that makes $8 million a year. It's OK to laugh at the Mizzou kid but you have to sympathize with the victims of Ferguson P.D. because it;s pretty inhuman not to.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1tFbZ5kaY8

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

City of Tampa posted:

Parts of BLM are directly addressing a very serious problem; communities like Ferguson are all over this country. In poor communities police are extremely aggressive and totally unaccountable. There are many local governments that use arbitrary and ridiculous laws to treat poor black people as an ATM machine.

poo poo like Chicago paying out $500 million in police brutality settlements while simultaneously closing schools in poor neighborhoods due to lack of funds deserves attention and outrage and wouldn't get either if we just left it up to the media and elected Democrats.

You gotta separate the Ferguson BLM from the MIzzou/Yale BLM because they aren't remotely the same thing. The people in Ferguson live their lives under attack from a deeply corrupt local government and police force. The kid that was on a hunger strike at Mizzou has a dad that makes $8 million a year. It's OK to laugh at the Mizzou kid but you have to sympathize with the victims of Ferguson P.D. because it;s pretty inhuman not to.

I can agree with most of this. Essentially what I am saying is that the movement, regardless of its intention or origins, has been hijacked by people in category 2. This led to a majority of people not giving a poo poo about their grievances.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

City of Tampa posted:

This. the Mizzou BLM are bunch of angry tumblr rich kids who are pissed stupid poo poo and thin skinned as gently caress. Meanwhile the real BLM does hard work helping people get hosed over by bigotry and stupid.

mr_cramalldees posted:

I can agree with most of this. Essentially what I am saying is that the movement, regardless of its intention or origins, has been hijacked by people in category 2. This led to a majority of people not giving a poo poo about their grievances.
That seems to happen with every movement/group now a days. right or left. the genuine concerns are pushed aside because bullshit parasites and opportunists or dumb zealots obsessed with word/thought purity.

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

That seems to happen with every movement/group now a days. right or left. the genuine concerns are pushed aside because bullshit parasites and opportunists or dumb zealots obsessed with word/thought purity.

Welcome to America

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
liberty is only protected through constant vigilance. it's easy to dismiss minority complaints as solved now that they've made so many gains in the past couple decades, but they still have legitimate grievances, though many would be solved through ameliorating wealth disparities. I do think think identity politics distracts from the more pressing issue of economic inequality

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Digital Fingers posted:

This is the type of dude that shouldn't be allowed to post in GBS

e: Like, "alt-right" is the leftist equivalent of "SJW" and both those terms are only used by giant morons when they get upset over different opinions but don't feel like actually explaining why they disagree and adding anything to a discussion. It's like a dude coming into DnD and posting "Just dropping by the ol' DnD, good to see you're still all a bunch of maoist SJW's. LOL peace out ya' doofuses"

Hahahahaha

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Relin posted:

liberty is only protected through constant vigilance. it's easy to dismiss minority complaints as solved now that they've made so many gains in the past couple decades, but they still have legitimate grievances, though many would be solved through ameliorating wealth disparities. I do think think identity politics distracts from the more pressing issue of economic inequality

sadly we are kinda moving in the opposite direction on this, there is a distinct pushback and opposition to economic justice issues within the Clinton Democrats. poo poo, we even had (wealthy, evangelical Christian) BLM protesters disrupt Bernie's rally in Seattle a few months ago specifically to yell about his emphasis on economic issues

the neoliberals have found a group of useful idiots in the Tumblr branch of BLM and they are exploiting them for all they are worth, and that is plenty enough reason for those of us on the real left to go out of our way to make the distinction between the Ferguson BLM and the Mizzou BLM. Defend the "real" BLM and don't be afraid to call out the rich neoliberal version of BLM. We can't let them steal the message from us because before you know it you'll be called a racist for giving a poo poo about the minimum wage or Social Security. The Clintons and their benefactors would love to get there.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Told Two Times posted:

You guys ever read about cointelpro? Where the FBI infiltrated the civil rights movements and attempted to sabotage them from within?
why are you using the past tense? they still do this and it's already started in Cleveland where the RNC is going to be held

City of Tampa posted:

You gotta separate the Ferguson BLM from the MIzzou/Yale BLM because they aren't remotely the same thing.
that's true, but it's a problem of the movement's own making because today's social justice movements (like BLM) don't want to cede the authoritarianism of the group. like it or not, individual leadership is necessary to filter out the counterproductive idiots. it also goes a long way to ensure that opportunistic scumbags like deray mckinneson (a proponent of neoliberal education who was just appointed to a high-up position in the Baltimore public school system) get shot down quickly

sometimes i think these groups want to fail

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The only war is class war.

Any the only classes in Canada are Middle Class and deserving poor

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ottawa BLM is already making noise about disrupting Pride. Ottawa, which has a nearly non-existent population of Black Canadians. There are lots of Somali, French African, and Caribbean immigrants, but those are all recent arrivals and have no connection to what's going on in the States or even historical issues in Black Canada.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
I'm starting a group called Goon Lives Matter. (GLM) GLM will function as a union of Goon individuals dedicated to protecting our forum liberties against power hungry mods and decadent shitposters.

PM (= Private Message) me with a video of you twerking if you want to be listed as a senior member.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Goon Lives Don't Matter

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Ottawa BLM is already making noise about disrupting Pride.
godfuckingdammit why

disrupt parliament or something, although that puts them at risk for an asskicking and they're too chickenshit to be actual martyrs

i bet that these whiners have no interaction whatsoever with first nation groups that actually bring awareness to the problem of oppression. they talk a big game about intersectionality but they don't actually care about putting it into practice

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

It's like everything on the left these days. The movements we need to actually get closer to justice on various issues keeps getting overridden by the dumbest, loudest and most inane idiots. Consider these groups:

BLM: A much needed group in areas where actual injustice and division occurs. It has turned into a directionless quasi-hate group seemingly bent on alienating it's own allies.

Feminism: A group and ideology that is desperately needed around the world is now more concerned with wordplay, perceived privilege and any bad feelings about anything whatsoever. Combined with intersectionality, it has become completely neutered and a laughable parody of what it once was.

LGBT: A significant minority that really needed both rights and respect has begun to gain those things in spades but must now bear the burden of being ideologically pure while absorbing every mentally ill person who believes that they are a cat, undefinable or something completely made-up altogether. While I'm not against inclusiveness, these people muddy the message and direction of the movement. see LGBTQIAP+ alphabet soup.

Intersectionality or anti-racism: This is seemingly included in every group. Based on things that are true it has become a source of badges one can wear for 'opression-points'. Instead of empowering minorities with the knowledge of these possible disadvantages in terms of race relations, it turns them into victims of large, nebulous and invisible organizations like The Patriarchy, The System and the state of whiteness. There is no solution to the problems that plagues these groups except constantly apologizing for the sin of being born white or male or whatever.

We used to be the side of facts and (kind of) justice and lately it's been a loving absolute joke, an embarrassing joke. The right is taking advantage of this and almost seeming more reasonable in many ways even though their ideas suck. I kind of blame the internet for providing these little bubbles for people like this to meet and fester.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tarkus posted:

It's like everything on the left these days. The movements we need to actually get closer to justice on various issues keeps getting overridden by the dumbest, loudest and most inane idiots. Consider these groups:

BLM: A much needed group in areas where actual injustice and division occurs. It has turned into a directionless quasi-hate group seemingly bent on alienating it's own allies.

Feminism: A group and ideology that is desperately needed around the world is now more concerned with wordplay, perceived privilege and any bad feelings about anything whatsoever. Combined with intersectionality, it has become completely neutered and a laughable parody of what it once was.

LGBT: A significant minority that really needed both rights and respect has begun to gain those things in spades but must now bear the burden of being ideologically pure while absorbing every mentally ill person who believes that they are a cat, undefinable or something completely made-up altogether. While I'm not against inclusiveness, these people muddy the message and direction of the movement. see LGBTQIAP+ alphabet soup.

Intersectionality or anti-racism: This is seemingly included in every group. Based on things that are true it has become a source of badges one can wear for 'opression-points'. Instead of empowering minorities with the knowledge of these possible disadvantages in terms of race relations, it turns them into victims of large, nebulous and invisible organizations like The Patriarchy, The System and the state of whiteness. There is no solution to the problems that plagues these groups except constantly apologizing for the sin of being born white or male or whatever.

We used to be the side of facts and (kind of) justice and lately it's been a loving absolute joke, an embarrassing joke. The right is taking advantage of this and almost seeming more reasonable in many ways even though their ideas suck. I kind of blame the internet for providing these little bubbles for people like this to meet and fester.

same

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
http://webmshare.com/play/jM36a

blm is outta control!!!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there's an excellent leftist group in a brooklyn neighborhood that i used to live in that has a wide range of people involved. there are young, old, black (mostly west indian), white, and hispanic people. some have moved there a couple of years ago and others have lived there for decades. but the main difference between this group and the loud idiotic whiners in BLM etc. is that this one is focused on economic justice and neighborhood affordability, which affects everyone regardless of color, race, privilege, and so forth

if they got bogged down in privilege and abstract poo poo like that, they'd get nothing done

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

thanks for the unsourced video of a high school playground fight in which the fat kid is yelling "freedom!!!! freedom!!!!"

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
blm means chasing down every last white person

http://webmshare.com/play/WnyXv

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

afeelgoodpoop posted:

blm means chasing down every last white person

http://webmshare.com/play/WnyXv

that'll teach him the error of believing unpleasant stereotypes

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Tarkus posted:

CBC radio had an interview with a pioneer in the feminist movement who has since distanced herself from it because it has been co-opted by various special interest groups who are only interested in being the victim. I can't find the interview online, but the gist of it was. The feminist guest realized that people on the extreme left, the ones who are the most vocal protesters, can't actually stand each other. They had a conference where they had something like 200 "feminists" and asked them to sort themselves into groups that would best allow them to address what they thought was the most important aspect of the feminist agenda. By the end of the conference the group of 200 had shattered into nearly as many groups. People initially divided into gay and straight feminists. Then they divided into gay/straight/minority feminists, then they divided again, and again. . . by the end the groups had managed to get as specific as "minority gay immigrant feminists with physical disabilities", and the general consensus was that "my hyper-specific issue is the only one that matters, and "gently caress you" for thinking you are more important a better victim than me.

I think she said this was in the early 90's.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Blistex posted:

CBC radio had an interview with a pioneer in the feminist movement who has since distanced herself from it because it has been co-opted by various special interest groups who are only interested in being the victim. I can't find the interview online, but the gist of it was. The feminist guest realized that people on the extreme left, the ones who are the most vocal protesters, can't actually stand each other. They had a conference where they had something like 200 "feminists" and asked them to sort themselves into groups that would best allow them to address what they thought was the most important aspect of the feminist agenda. By the end of the conference the group of 200 had shattered into nearly as many groups. People initially divided into gay and straight feminists. Then they divided into gay/straight/minority feminists, then they divided again, and again. . . by the end the groups had managed to get as specific as "minority gay immigrant feminists with physical disabilities", and the general consensus was that "my hyper-specific issue is the only one that matters, and "gently caress you" for thinking you are more important a better victim than me.

I think she said this was in the early 90's.

It's prolly Christina Hoff Sommers. She's often accused of being a nutty right winger but truth is that she's quite reasonable on most things and she's not an anti-feminist. The right like her because she says things they like but she just usually quietly disagrees when they go off the deep end ideology-wise like Milo does on occasion. I think she's misunderstood because she states that now men's issues should be examined and solved as well, by feminist standards that means she is now an evil misogynist and MRA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYpELqKZ02Q

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the entire point of feminism is empowering women. but i guess that's in the past

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tarkus posted:

These tensions are much older but have reemerged in recent years.

The most generous thing I can say about queer radicalism is that it represents freedom -- from convention, normality and stifling, conservative institutions. The idea of "fixed" identities like "gay" or "straight" are even controversial in this ideology as these are socially-constructed categories that must be endlessly deconstructed. So you're now seeing Pride parades splinter in half, with the radicals viewing the established ones as too corporate and beholden to oppressive gay club house beats as opposed to the liberating music of Big Freedia.

Blistex posted:

The feminist guest realized that people on the extreme left, the ones who are the most vocal protesters, can't actually stand each other.
I totally believe this.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
What I don't like about queer radical ideology is that it buckles under its own contradictions. If your politics is endless deconstruction then you're going to get endless splitting. And since you can't compromise with any existing social conventions, and really you *need* those existing social conventions to exist apart from yourself otherwise you wouldn't be queer, then the whole shebang is basically just a big show.

The worst thing is this can also trap people into a new orthodoxy. You have to constantly deconstruct yourself and your identity, gender and sexuality until you're not even a person anymore, but a receptacle for whatever Queer ideology wants to pour into you. I think Shmorky is an example of this happening to somebody.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
FWIW, any attempt to impose some queer radicalism or hegemonic language code on gay men is doomed to fail. Among the least politically correct places in the Western world are standup comedy bits during drag shows. No way in hell that's happening.

A few months ago I remember being at a party full of people who were basically heterosexual in their lives but self-identified as queers. Yes, several had Tumblrs. And I overheard one girl talking about how the underground strip contest they went to was getting sour because there were too many gay men showing up -- I'm guessing they thought that represented some normie intrusion.

The party was at a house in a rapidly gentrifying neighborhood too. So this is where we are at the moment.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the most lol-worthy thing about queer radicalism is that dressing in drag is now a bad thing that shouldn't be done, when the entire point of it is to be aggressive and provocative. it's similar to how we once had punk rock bands named Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys, and Reagan Youth, and today bands with names like Andrew Jackson Jihad and Vietcong change their names so that people don't get offended

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Y-Hat posted:

the most lol-worthy thing about queer radicalism is that dressing in drag is now a bad thing that shouldn't be done, when the entire point of it is to be aggressive and provocative.
I blame Foucault. If identities, language and performances (like drag) merely reflect oppressive power structures in need of deconstructing, then you have to smash 'em! But I think the actual result is both a new orthodoxy and a shattering of bonds between people. Everyone is pounded into a homogeneous, ideological mush; but they're also unable to coordinate or trust anyone due to the endless deconstruction ... hence the splintering in a million different directions.

The good news is that I think gay culture is really hardened against this kind of thing.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Ultimately, this new focus on identity and the labels associated with it are doomed. Most of the new labels have no cultural history or relevance and mean absolutely nothing. For example, for authors on the left, the new standard is no longer defined by accomplishments and credentials but by identity labels that seem to confer some level of expertise. While in some circumstances these can be useful especially when talking about a well defined culture or race, when talking about demi-queer cat-kin, this loses all meaning.

I guess what I'm saying is that arbitrary labels of identity have trumped actual knowledge, science and experience on the left and we let these ideologues dictate the course of action despite it being counter-productive.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

BLM people have a reputation for calling Black Canadians Uncle Toms, when they themselves are 2nd or 3rd generation immigrants. Canadians who are actually descended from slaves and faced actual discrimination for most of our history live in Halifax, Truro, Fredericton not Toronto.

Natives here are treated like American Blacks, but these clowns interrupted a Native dance to mention Indigenous people maybe once or twice.

lol BLM is like a pussified black panthers

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Do black lives not matter in Canada too?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Wikkheiser posted:

What I don't like about queer radical ideology is that it buckles under its own contradictions. If your politics is endless deconstruction then you're going to get endless splitting. And since you can't compromise with any existing social conventions, and really you *need* those existing social conventions to exist apart from yourself otherwise you wouldn't be queer, then the whole shebang is basically just a big show.

Speaking strictly as an observer, I wonder if the movement would be better off if it just drops the categoricalism, embraces "queer" as a catchall, and lets everyone encompassed decide for themselves how they want to deal with that. Have sex with whoever you want, big deal. Express yourself however you want to express yourself, big deal. Go beyond postmodernism or something.

Maybe that wouldn't work without having an overarching identity (something like "Citizen") and social group to attach to? Otherwise you get aimless drifters who attach onto something else? Shrug

Wikkheiser posted:

The worst thing is this can also trap people into a new orthodoxy. You have to constantly deconstruct yourself and your identity, gender and sexuality until you're not even a person anymore, but a receptacle for whatever Queer ideology wants to pour into you. I think Shmorky is an example of this happening to somebody.

I can think of many people who I've ran into over my years on the Internet who fell victim to this exact situation. It comes comorbid with severe depression or isolation, having their entire social circle be the sort of hypercritical moralist wingnuts, and (especially) a promise of being able to get a "do-over" on their life. After long enough exposure, with little other visible recourse, they plunge hard into this stuff instead of actually working on unfucking their life. Along with Shmorky, Fire is another great example.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tarkus posted:

Ultimately, this new focus on identity and the labels associated with it are doomed.
in the long run, yes, because in the end, social justice is about solidarity, not coming up with new ways to divide. but it's going to stay for a while because it benefits the powers that be. and it's not just because movements like BLM love to shoot themselves in the foot constantly- this kind of divisive identity politics was embraced by hillary clinton, her campaign, and her supporters as a way to stick it to bernie sanders so that she could avoid talking about income inequality

at the end of 2015 i figured people on the left were starting to wise up to this bullshit, but i'm not so sure anymore

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
BJM are awesome though they should hijack more events. I'm a big fan of their more shoegazy early stuff but I can also dig some cool psychedelic riffs.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I've noticed that most Queer Activists have never had a Black friend or met a Black person that wasn't an activist so they're totally out of their element in social situations. When I said that I'm not a "PoC" because it's not only re-labeling "Coloured" but also lumping me in with every other ethnic group, I was told that I had internalized oppression and that I just needed to be educated on the proper terminology.

When I said one of my Black Canadian heroes was Willie O'Ree, they said that hockey was a hyper-masculine, violent, classiest activity that excluded women and transgendered people and was stolen from Native culture. How are you supposed to talk to these people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Frosted Flake posted:

How are you supposed to talk to these people?
Never talk to them, send all these mad people into the Sun via rockets. Or into volcanoes because it's cheaper.

• Locked thread