Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

crabcakes66 posted:

Juno is actually a 500MT nuclear warhead. The attack on those Jovian fuckfaces begins soon.

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cnut
May 3, 2016

Hector Beerlioz posted:

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Literally the first line in The Bible, dude.

poo poo, Occam's Razor, cnut :cripes:

cnut
May 3, 2016

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

It only has 27 ancient cores orbiting it. Probably a little turbulent.

I see.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
boys go to jupiter to get more stupider

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Girls to to venus to suck some penis

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

paul_soccer10 posted:

boys go to jupiter to get more stupider

i hope not, we're supposed to learn new things from this

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Girls to to venus to suck some penis

Girls will be boys will be girls....?

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
tbqh it would be an interesting twist

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Yes

cnut
May 3, 2016

venis

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
What a waste of money.

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model
Boys go to Jupiter to become much stupider. Girls go to Mars to become ☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・stars!!!°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Trojan.exe posted:

Boys go to Jupiter to become much stupider. Girls go to Mars to become ☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・stars!!!°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°

I'm not going to argue with this, look at that presentation!

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
We got cool photos of Pluto as we were approaching , how come juno isn't taking cool photos of Jupiter?

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Parallax Scroll posted:

Later tonight, the spacecraft Juno will enter orbit around Jupiter. It will spend about 18 months repeatedly skimming close to the surface of Jupiter at its north and south poles. It will have to avoid Jupiter's huge radiation belts so all the electronics don't get fried, and even then it still has to house the instruments in titanium casing so they'll last longer before getting fried anyway. Juno will study the interior of the giant planet and see whether it actually has a dense rocky core or not, as well as studying Jupiter's clouds and its gravitational and magnetic fields. At the end of its mission, Juno will fly directly into the planet and burn up in its atmosphere.

Fun facts!
  • Jupiter is really fuckin big!
  • This is is only the 9th spacecraft to reach Jupiter and the 2nd to orbit it, assuming we don't gently caress up putting it into orbit tonight.
  • It took 5 years for Juno to get there. The spacecraft looped around the inner solar system and zipped past earth for a speed boost before heading out to Jupiter.
  • The spacecraft is named after the mythological goddess who was Zeus' sister and wife.
  • Russia never even sent a single spacecraft to Jupiter! Those lame-os can't space race for poo poo.
  • Jupiter was probably the first planet to form in the solar system. This mission should tell us more about the formation of Jupiter and the solar system as a whole.
  • We ran out of nuclear materials to power spacecraft, so we had to use solar panels for this one instead. No solar powered craft has gone this far away from the sun before, so the panels have to be fuckin huge!
  • Jupiter has auroras at its poles that are bigger than the whole earth! We're gonna look at those too. vvvv see below

Jupiter!

edit: links

main mission page
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/main/index.html

nasa tv - this will show live coverage starting at 10:30 PM eastern when the craft enters orbit
https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#public

Jupiter is much like this thread.
:gas:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Tony Homo posted:

What a waste of money.

this guy is like "there's this huge rear end thing that's way way way bigger than earth. let's NOT study it" lmao

bleep.bloop
Jun 19, 2016

Oh, dear leader!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Literally the first line in The Bible, dude.

I have no use for that hypothesis.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

NASA is doing the missions because they hope to find green sexy space women and get laid

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

etalian posted:

NASA is doing the missions because they hope to find green sexy space women and get laid

For all mankind.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

etalian posted:

Buzz Aldrin already banged them all

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Selling prime condominium land on Jupiter!

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

Selling prime condominium land on Jupiter!

we don't know if there's even solid ground down there but hopefully we'll find out once this thing scans through the clouds

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

DiHK posted:

Go Jupiter, Go space. Here's a clip of that rad path to Jupiter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYp5p2oL51g

That's so stupid. Jupiter is like right there at the beginning of the video. They could have gone straight across and been there in like an hour. Science is dumb.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Parallax Scroll posted:

we don't know if there's even solid ground down there but hopefully we'll find out once this thing scans through the clouds

Shh. We can clue in all the new buyers once they're a few years into the trip.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

DiHK posted:

Here's a worksafe video about the JOI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgEsf4QcR0Q

(punchline at the end)

Haha, Is that from NASA or the history channel? I love the whole vibe of " Uh-OH...A scary alien could get on board and eat the 486DX".

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Open the pod bay doors, Hal

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How is a giant cloud in space so radioactive that it will kill people

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Teikanmi posted:

It's really hot.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Some people are also going to the space station on the 6th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr0qzvypqvg

edit: wrong date, it's the 6th

Prettz fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 4, 2016

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Wee Stubby Nublet posted:

Can you imagine no love, pride, deep-fried chicken?
Your best friend always sticking up for you even when I know you're wrong
Can you imagine no first dance, freeze dried romance, five-hour phone conversation?
The best soy latte that you ever had and me

I thought this was a joke but nope those are the actual lyrics

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Open the pod bay doors, Hal

I'm going to take the space PanAm to the space Howard Johnsons and use the space Bell Atlantic phone

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I had no idea abouyt this thing but it seems really cool. Thanks spiderman with cum on face.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Teikanmi posted:

It doesn't matter if it's a gas cloud or a rock it weighs a lot and if you ignore what's on the inside it functions only kind of different from a big rock.

The magnetospheres of planets trap charged particles and protect them from solar winds. You might have heard of the Van Allen belt, that's earth's, but Jupiter is bigger and badder. And significantly less influenced by the sun.

One of its 67 moons, Io, has over 400 active volcanos and is about the size of our moon, ~1/10 the size of earth I guess technically it's more like 8% the size of earth. Its volcanos just casually dump up to 1 ton of poo poo per second 500km away from its surface and then jupiter pulls it in. Makes our moon look like a wuss moon, and it's a good comparison because it's the only other body in our solar system that's roughly the size of our moon.

67 moons? ya, jupiter stole a bunch of space junk while orbiting around because it's that drat big. It has 4 moons that are about as big as planets/our moon (one is bigger than mercury, get hosed mercury), 4 other moons that are moon-like, and then 59 "moons".

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

spud posted:

I had no idea abouyt this thing but it seems really cool. Thanks spiderman with cum on face.

It's pee :rolleyes:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Expanse owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzUATesLdcs

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Khorne posted:

It doesn't matter if it's a gas cloud or a rock it weighs a lot and if you ignore what's on the inside it functions only kind of different from a big rock.

The magnetospheres of planets trap charged particles and protect them from solar winds. You might have heard of the Van Allen belt, that's earth's, but Jupiter is bigger and badder. And significantly less influenced by the sun.

One of its 67 moons, Io, has over 400 active volcanos and is about the size of our moon, ~1/10 the size of earth I guess technically it's more like 8% the size of earth. Its volcanos just casually dump up to 1 ton of poo poo per second 500km away from its surface and then jupiter pulls it in. Makes our moon look like a wuss moon, and it's a good comparison because it's the only other body in our solar system that's roughly the size of our moon.

67 moons? ya, jupiter stole a bunch of space junk while orbiting around because it's that drat big. It has 4 moons that are about as big as planets/our moon (one is bigger than mercury, get hosed mercury), 4 other moons that are moon-like, and then 59 "moons".

This is really cool too. Gonna spend the rest of my evening learning stuff about jupiter and Io. I would have liked to do space stuff, but once I had to start doing algebra in high school I realised it wasn't for me. Like if I can't calculate how many fence panels Farmer John needs to cover an area of 500m square, I sure as hell can't work out space rocket stuff.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Khorne posted:

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i hope theres a giant diamond like one science guy said one time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

crabcakes66 posted:

I'm betting the radiation fries it sooner than they anticipate.

What a noob.

You just have to had more shielding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
The fact that every spaceship isn't a radiation spewing orion platform makes me sad.

• Locked thread