Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

spud posted:

This is really cool too. Gonna spend the rest of my evening learning stuff about jupiter and Io. I would have liked to do space stuff, but once I had to start doing algebra in high school I realised it wasn't for me. Like if I can't calculate how many fence panels Farmer John needs to cover an area of 500m square, I sure as hell can't work out space rocket stuff.
Math is really just something you need to make yourself learn if you wanna learn it. It's not some sorcery you need a magical aptitude for. Maybe you can't calculate how many fence panels John needs but if you put your head into it you'd learn how and you could also learn to understand space rocket math.

e:

Outrail posted:

The fact that every spaceship isn't a radiation spewing orion platform makes me sad.
:getin:

Take this thing for a jaunt around Jupiter.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Outrail posted:

The fact that every spaceship isn't a radiation spewing orion platform makes me sad.

I wonder why they didn't go with a RTG for power.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

etalian posted:

I wonder why they didn't go with a RTG for power.
Not enough plutonium was left.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
oh man this is some exciting poo poo. glad we get to invade Saturn with our spaceships for a change.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Prettz posted:

Not enough plutonium was left.

:wow:

This was a interesting article.
http://www.wired.com/2013/09/plutonium-238-problem/

A lemons into lemonade sort of outcome was how due to the material shortage, NASA put in a good amount of effort into building a better RTG.

Of course even with a good design qual testing for some of newer concepts will delay them from being used.

etalian fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 4, 2016

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm pretty sure that if it took 3 years for a mission to Jupiter, everyone would probably kill each other or suicide by the time they were 2 years of the way through

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Teikanmi posted:

I'm pretty sure that if it took 3 years for a mission to Jupiter, everyone would probably kill each other or suicide by the time they were 2 years of the way through

Didn't they have some people spend 2 years simulating a trip to mars

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Khorne posted:

It doesn't matter if it's a gas cloud or a rock it weighs a lot and if you ignore what's on the inside it functions only kind of different from a big rock.

The magnetospheres of planets trap charged particles and protect them from solar winds. You might have heard of the Van Allen belt, that's earth's, but Jupiter is bigger and badder. And significantly less influenced by the sun.

One of its 67 moons, Io, has over 400 active volcanos and is about the size of our moon, ~1/10 the size of earth I guess technically it's more like 8% the size of earth. Its volcanos just casually dump up to 1 ton of poo poo per second 500km away from its surface and then jupiter pulls it in. Makes our moon look like a wuss moon, and it's a good comparison because it's the only other body in our solar system that's roughly the size of our moon.

67 moons? ya, jupiter stole a bunch of space junk while orbiting around because it's that drat big. It has 4 moons that are about as big as planets/our moon (one is bigger than mercury, get hosed mercury), 4 other moons that are moon-like, and then 59 "moons".

Thanks, great explanation!

spud posted:

This is really cool too. Gonna spend the rest of my evening learning stuff about jupiter and Io. I would have liked to do space stuff, but once I had to start doing algebra in high school I realised it wasn't for me. Like if I can't calculate how many fence panels Farmer John needs to cover an area of 500m square, I sure as hell can't work out space rocket stuff.

All 4 of jupiter's big moons (Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto) are rad in different ways. Hope you learn some cool poo poo.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I've already seen Jupiter

It's a bunch of gas, we get it

boring poo poo, professors

where are my aliens and space rock mining and moonbases you sonofabitch

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Has the tin can transmitted any cool photos yet?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Edgar posted:

The visible camera is real poo poo. It's only there for publicity shots. Hubble is powerful enough that we don't really need to send spacecrafts to get good pictures.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Germstore posted:

The visible camera is real poo poo. It's only there for publicity shots. Hubble is powerful enough that we don't really need to send spacecrafts to get good pictures.

Aren't they going to let the Hubble burn up

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Germstore posted:

yeah taking pictures isn't one of the scientific objectives for this mission. it'll be way closer to the planet than any other craft has been so maybe we'll get a nice closeup though? idk

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

Germstore posted:

Science is lame if there is no 4k footage

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

they'll be replacing it with a way better telescope in 2018

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
maybe by 2318 we have sent other stuff than cameras up there, but probably not

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

it's hippes fault the spacecraft uses solar panels instead of the more reliable RTG

why do hippies care about polluting space? i though the voyager probes used radio isotopes, why would we go backwards?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I think Hubble is gonna stay active until like 2025, there's a new one launching called the James Webb in 2018 that's gonna be able to smell alien farts in their atmospheres.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Grody

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Did they give it a selfie stick? Probably not, egghead NASA brains can't give the people what they want.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I think Hubble is gonna stay active until like 2025, there's a new one launching called the James Webb in 2018 that's gonna be able to smell alien farts in their atmospheres.

More like the James Joyce Space Telescope.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Rutibex posted:

why do hippies care about polluting space? i though the voyager probes used radio isotopes, why would we go backwards?
They're worried about the rocket blowing up on ascent and spreading radioactive material everywhere. It's a real risk but that's why NASA does detailed risk analysis and management on this sort of thing rather than just flying radioactive material around all willy-nilly like these people seem to think.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Some newer probes did also used RTGs but the main duel breaker was running out of reactor fuel.

NASA is working on more efficient reactors but all the new designs are currently in flight qual testing.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
what if they see aliens swimming in the Jupiter clouds man that'd be fuckin nuts

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
here's a fun jupiter fact that rhymes so you can remember it easier:

girls are from jupiter

that's why they're stupiter

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That gif isn't in real time right?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
can't wait for close up pics of the peaceful cloud leviathans

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

SniperWoreConverse posted:

what if they see aliens swimming in the Jupiter clouds man that'd be fuckin nuts

We already met them on the moon, there will be no new alien surprises. They let us launch juno in the first place.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

There are powerful IR cameras to look through to their cloud cities and maybe peep some alien titties. Expect some false color photos of alien boobs in the coming months.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

That gif isn't in real time right?

our modern probes can reach speeds approaching warp 3.2, back in the 70s they could only do warp 2 :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rutibex posted:

our modern probes can reach speeds approaching warp 3.2, back in the 70s they could only do warp 2 :(

I was more asking if Jupiter's storms really rotate that fast.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

I was more asking if Jupiter's storms really rotate that fast.

that spot is about the size of earth. i dont think anything in the universe rotates that fast, except maybe pulsars

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Germstore posted:

There are powerful IR cameras to look through to their cloud cities and maybe peep some alien titties. Expect some false color photos of alien boobs in the coming months.

yessssssssssssssss

nasa spectrally analyze dem nips

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Jupiter scares the poo poo out of me in some cosmic horror sort of way.

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3vlw-7N5Ps

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I bet Jupiter has some loving fire weed.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hopefully they bring back some of that sweet creamy tomato sauce that makes up Jupiter. I hear some regions are reminiscent of a bolognese! :smuggo:

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Chief McHeath posted:

I bet Jupiter has some loving fire weed.

jupiters gravity is so dense that one of their dankest nugs can weigh as much as 10 thousand elephants!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Jupiter scares the poo poo out of me in some cosmic horror sort of way.

You've been selected to be fired into Jupiter's billowy embrace wearing a vintage 1980's spacesuit. The faceplate will most likely shatter a few kilometres after intersection with the cloud horizon. Your last few moments will be spent choking on thick noxious gasses while the streaming winds scrape open your eyes and whisper their frantic lullaby into your bleeding ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Edgar posted:

This is from June 29.

• Locked thread