Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
hooooo boy, nothing like space to reawaken the existential dread and sadness that accompanies it

that being said, this is awesome. hope they find some cool poo poo there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Does anyone know what time (EST or GMT) that the burn to orbit begins?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Glasgow Kiss posted:

hooooo boy, nothing like space to reawaken the existential dread and sadness that accompanies it

that being said, this is awesome. hope they find some cool poo poo there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDH3PPJstuI

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

You've been selected to be fired into Jupiter's billowy embrace wearing a vintage 1980's spacesuit. The faceplate will most likely shatter a few kilometres after intersection with the cloud horizon. Your last few moments will be spent choking on thick noxious gasses while the streaming winds scrape open your eyes and whisper their frantic lullaby into your bleeding ears.

dont be silly his brain would melt from radiation long before the face plate would shatter

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is the probe close enough to Europa to determine if it has liquid water yet? We should've sent it there instead.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

quote:

At the end of its mission, Juno will fly directly into the planet and burn up in its atmosphere.

nice

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

Rutibex posted:

dont be silly his brain would melt from radiation long before the face plate would shatter

nonsense, he'll turn into a hulk first.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
I will be monitoring this mission and orbital insertion from my command center.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

RatHat posted:

That gif isn't in real time right?

i think the photos were taken over the course of about a month

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

it's coming right for us! *fires shotgun*

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Wee Stubby Nublet posted:

*lyrics to drops of jupiter*

yeah i always thought the soy latte thing was a retarded detail that threw off the entire song

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Could you stand on Jupiter? Like, it's a gas giant, but would the massive gravity be holding the gases together tight enough that you can stand on it?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Rutibex posted:

Stop giving him false hope. We'll have to upgrade the suit.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

OldMemes posted:

Could you stand on Jupiter? Like, it's a gas giant, but would the massive gravity be holding the gases together tight enough that you can stand on it?

No, it has no surface. Gases decrease in density exponentially as you get further away. By the time you'd get to a density that would be comparable to "solid ground" the gas will have undergone a phase change. Also you'd have to get through all the "viscous" material on top of it.

But no, the gases in Jupiter become a sort of molten superfluid as you go closer to its core.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

spud posted:

Like if I can't calculate how many fence panels Farmer John needs to cover an area of 500m square, I sure as hell can't work out space rocket stuff.

Like, it's a square man. Times 4 that poo poo.

Anyway, Europa is the coolest moon with Titan close behind. Io volcano's, so what.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
is pluto allowed to have a moon any more? or was it downgraded to a "dwarf moon-like objectoid" too?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I believe the scientific term for the Pluto Charon system is "idiotic binary dwarf fuckboi bitch system."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Why are we wasting money on NASA, with a few billion dollars it would be easy to kill a few thousand poor people overseas.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Check out the crazy orbit they're putting it into to get all the science data

Really comes screaming in low over the poles

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Nasa tv stream starts at 10:30 pm eastern tonight. Be there or be square.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

theres no way our bitch rear end stone age 'sensors' could penetrate to jupiters core in the first place, but if they come out of this mission claiming there is no solid surface down there ill be a little surprised.

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug
I hope the core is some crazy new phase of matter from the ridiculous heat and gravity

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A CISHET SHITLORD posted:

I hope the core is some crazy new phase of matter from the ridiculous heat and gravity

Probably live phonons contributing to its modern volcanic geosynchronous moon which could probably support bacteria.

Wee Stubby Nublet
Nov 20, 2015

by Lowtax

Zeno-25 posted:

Check out the crazy orbit they're putting it into to get all the science data

Really comes screaming in low over the poles

You must be watching a different channel, man. I'm getting different info here... here on the official/ trusted source site.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I've recently spoken with a friend of mine who works for NASA and he has confirmed for me that girls indeed go to Jupiter to "get more stupider"

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
boys go to mars for the much lower delta-v requirements

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
We can go to Venus

Because it sounds like "penis"

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Women go to Jupiter to get bigger bewbiters.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Holy macaroni! Happy not blinded by the sun already.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Live broadcast of final Jupiter approach and entering orbit

https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#public

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Parallax Scroll posted:

Live broadcast of final Jupiter approach and entering orbit

https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#public

They have a commentator called Gay Yee Hill.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Ooooh long johnson

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Round 2.

http://www.enterprisemission.com/NukingJupiter.html

Bring it on big guy.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

where the craft is at now

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Parallax Scroll posted:

where the craft is at now

Heh, jupiter? Heh heh looks more like -- URANUS :grin: