Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

It's like 20 minutes until they do the orbital burn yeah? :peanut:

yeah it's coming up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
What if it crashes right away

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Where are the pretty pictures?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

What if it crashes right away

Well still learn something. :shrug:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

SplitSoul posted:

Where are the pretty pictures?

12 more minutes but it should have done it already - there's a 30-40 minute travel time for the data.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
This is like watching car racing. Interesting but pretty boring unless something bad happens. Not sure which one I'm rooting for.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Outrail posted:

This is like watching car racing. Interesting but pretty boring unless something bad happens. Not sure which one I'm rooting for.

Dale Earnhardt is going to crash into Jupiter. Check for the little red spot next to the big red spot.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
jupiter is a piece of poo poo what ever happened to pluto?

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

reallivedinosaur posted:

jupiter is a piece of poo poo what ever happened to pluto?

its about to crash into your fucken dome

Aug 4, 2010

will this tell us if carl sagans theory about flying jupiter "floaters" was true or not???

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

that vid it took of the moons is pretty cool

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

www posted:

will this tell us if carl sagans theory about flying jupiter "floaters" was true or not???

I'll leave a floater on Jupiter. Man, bedtime sucks, the livestream is *RIVETING*.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Parallax Scroll posted:

Live broadcast of final Jupiter approach and entering orbit

https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#public

you're telling me we can put a lego man on jupiter but we can't make a video player that hides the fullscreen interface and mouse pointer?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This is pretty awesome imo. Kerbal upgrades looking good.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
that's a huge bitch

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

they did it!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
WOOOO they're melting a very expensive thing on another planet

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Watching the live stream. This owns

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Yay Juno :toot:

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Don't tell me it takes all these people to fly a shapes hip, what are they all even doing with those computers

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Looking forward to Junocam.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

first image back from juno in orbit

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I liked Juno Ellen Paige is funny did you know she played trinity in some episodes of trailer park boys?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

where it's at now, different angle

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 5, 2016

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
read the book, btw gbs

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

same angle, zoomed out. current position

e: don't know how to embed it but here's the video of jupiter's moons taken during approach a few days ago

https://gfycat.com/EquatorialBigHaddock

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 5, 2016

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Science bitch. :science:

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

shoophobo posted:

I will be monitoring this mission and orbital insertion from my command center.

Are you rocking 5 generators just to stay online?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Less than a minute of time dilation. :peanut:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
That's cool we're getting another spacecraft to check out Jupiter but why hasn't there been a spacecraft or rover sent to Europa yet?

We need a rover to explore Europa because there might be an ocean and possibly life there drat it! :mad:

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

spasticColon posted:

That's cool we're getting another spacecraft to check out Jupiter but why hasn't there been a spacecraft or rover sent to Europa yet?

We need a rover to explore Europa because there might be an ocean and possibly life there drat it! :mad:

NASA has a mission to Europa in the works. Going to launch on an SLS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_Multiple-Flyby_Mission

Wee Stubby Nublet
Nov 20, 2015

by Lowtax

Happy Hedonist posted:

Looking forward to Junocam.

Hey, psst...Happy Hed, psst... over here quick... *discreetly hands plain wrapped package over to you under desk while no one's watching*... that's just for if in case you may need a reminder at any stage later on, or whenever, you'll have it on hand for a quick reference guide to look up whatever it may be that you're thinking about. *gives a quick nod, taps nose with finger while mouthing words "mum's the word", and wanders off*

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I hope they get some extra-credit shots of Jupiter's pizza-faced little brother, Io.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

We ran out of nuclear materials to power spacecraft, so we had to use solar panels for this one instead. No solar powered craft has gone this far away from the sun before, so the panels have to be fuckin huge!

What's being done to fix this?!!? What is it were out of?!

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Plutonium 238.

It can be used to make power that lasts for years without taking up too much space, apparently by simply wrapping it up and using the heat it gives off.

Read this:

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
We have just recently started making more Pu-238. Going to take some time to ramp up production though.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Oak Ridge is ramping up to 2.5 kg per year of production, so that's 2 to 4 years to produce enough for a mission (depending on what the mission is) and 1 year if they use that new mechanical generator they're working on.

e: double checked. it's 1.5 kg per year.

Germstore fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 5, 2016

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
mmhmm maybe we could shoot out a chimpanzee into outer space and have it trained to pedal the bike hooked up to a generator and with a lifetime supply of canned beans on board but then we'd have to teach a monkey how to open cans, and I think that not even NASA could pull that off

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

mmhmm maybe we could shoot out a chimpanzee into outer space and have it trained to pedal the bike hooked up to a generator and with a lifetime supply of canned beans on board but then we'd have to teach a monkey how to open cans, and I think that not even NASA could pull that off

it would be more efficient to send the monkey up with a steam engine to generate the power. that way all you need to do is teach the monkey to shovel coal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Germstore posted:

Oak Ridge is ramping up to 2.5 kg per year of production, so that's 2 to 4 years to produce enough for a mission (depending on what the mission is) and 1 year if they use that new mechanical generator they're working on.

e: double checked. it's 1.5 kg per year.

Are there other uses outside of space travel? I mean for 238, not 239 (I learned about the difference thanks to this thread and am feeling pretty smart right now)? Anything nationally, or even internationally, useful for expensive materials seems a much easier sell than "we need it for our space rocket".

Also good on the USA for doing this, there is no loving way we could afford to do it in Europe right now.

spud fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 5, 2016

• Locked thread