Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

spud posted:

Are there other uses outside of space travel? I mean for 238

it makes excellent ammunition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rutibex posted:

it makes excellent ammunition

You fat poo poo. I hate you.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Congratulations to the brave spacemen who first set foot on Jupiter soil

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Google doodle is poo poo and stupid as usual.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Congratulations to the brave spacemen who first set foot on Jupiter soil

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
owned again russia

:911:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

OldMemes posted:

Could you stand on Jupiter? Like, it's a gas giant, but would the massive gravity be holding the gases together tight enough that you can stand on it?
It's only 2.5 g, heavy but not so much that it'd really cause anything exotic to happen.

By coincidence, Saturn's gravity at the cloud tops is pretty much 1 g.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

vols bitch posted:

owned again russia

:911:

they suck at space lmao :911: :911: :911:

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Oooooh. Goody we will finally find out how the planets formed wow wowow.......WHOA

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
would've been a lot easier just to google it. scientist are always doing things the hard way.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Germstore posted:

would've been a lot easier just to google it. scientist are always doing things the hard way.

um where do you think google gets the answers in the first place

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

8 track betamax posted:

Oooooh. Goody we will finally find out how the planets formed wow wowow.......WHOA

You didn't want China to figure it out fist, did you

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

SHISHKABOB posted:

um where do you think google gets the answers in the first place

wikipedia probably

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

spud posted:

Are there other uses outside of space travel? I mean for 238, not 239 (I learned about the difference thanks to this thread and am feeling pretty smart right now)? Anything nationally, or even internationally, useful for expensive materials seems a much easier sell than "we need it for our space rocket".

Also good on the USA for doing this, there is no loving way we could afford to do it in Europe right now.
None at all. It generates a few hundred watts and costs hundreds of millions of dollars.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

BTW, this NASA's Eyes app is pretty rad. You can use it to watch in realtime to see where Juno is, or to look at the current position of other planets, moons, and spacecraft. I used it last year to watch the New Horizons approach to Pluto and yesterday to watch Juno loop around Jupiter.

https://eyes.nasa.gov/eyes-on-juno.html

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Parallax Scroll posted:

BTW, this NASA's Eyes app is pretty rad. You can use it to watch in realtime to see where Juno is, or to look at the current position of other planets, moons, and spacecraft. I used it last year to watch the New Horizons approach to Pluto and yesterday to watch Juno loop around Jupiter.

https://eyes.nasa.gov/eyes-on-juno.html

Does it let you control the satellite like a video game?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Worlds

(not taken by Juno)

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
I've spent a good 20 minutes this afternoon researching on youtube, and turns out this is all a hoax

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Prettz posted:

None at all. It generates a few hundred watts and costs hundreds of millions of dollars.

could it be used to make a cell phone battery that charges itself? i'd buy that

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Frankenstyle posted:

Haha, Is that from NASA or the history channel? I love the whole vibe of " Uh-OH...A scary alien could get on board and eat the 486DX".

486dx is generous. For this mission they're certainly using a simpler design so they can have room for radiation resistant circuitry.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Because of Voyager's anatomically correct etchings, the Jupiter alieans have already had years to prepare the optimal methods for raping and torturing us, human upstarts

As part of my patriotic duty, to confuse the Jovians, Im gonna cut off my external genitalia, thus throwing off their terror plans

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
So you guys know that the whole Juno/Jupiter thing is a big nerd joke, right?

Like, Juno was Jupiter's wife/sister and she thought he had a harem hidden in his clouds.

So all you knuckle heads joking about NASA nerds trying to find exo-pussy are actually dead on.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Rutibex posted:

could it be used to make a cell phone battery that charges itself? i'd buy that
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Mission_Radioisotope_Thermoelectric_Generator

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Must suck to use a fuel supply that decays. I mean the half life is like 90 years but still.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ITT idiot goons who don't understand the utility of 'general science research'

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They should have sent a sound engineer spaceship and a cameraman spaceship to go with Juno because a lot of NASAs public media stuff for plebs like me is "artists impressions". If they had a literal camera probe and sound probe following Juno when she did her work, I would have been more engaged.

Still, this was very impressive Juno. Good job and good luck.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

spud posted:

They should have sent a sound engineer spaceship and a cameraman spaceship to go with Juno because a lot of NASAs public media stuff for plebs like me is "artists impressions". If they had a literal camera probe and sound probe following Juno when she did her work, I would have been more engaged.

Still, this was very impressive Juno. Good job and good luck.

Maybe the photos just haven't got here yet. If they can send photos of Pluto back to Earth then Jupiter should be relatively trivial.

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
Europa Report was a good movie imo

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
They should send smaller probes just behind the larger probe so we get some great shots of it burning up on entry/smashing into asteroids and the occasional glimpse of the puppeteer.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

RatHat posted:

Maybe the photos just haven't got here yet. If they can send photos of Pluto back to Earth then Jupiter should be relatively trivial.

All the scientific instruments including the camera were turned off for the orbital insertion. They'll make a close pass over the north pole in 54 days with all the instruments on this time, so we may get some pics then.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

thats pretty big, a cell phone version would not work. maybe a camping version would be good, then i could charge my laptop in the woods. maybe power a few lights and the fridge at the cabin? it would really save on gas

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

For some perspective, here's where Juno is at now, almost a day after the engine burn to enter orbit. This is to scale.

It's gonna take almost 2 months to loop back around and complete the first orbit.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Sound posted:

this is very important and not a waste of money that could be spent on actual poo poo not some loving nerd jerkoff fantasy about looking on Jupiter to find women that are attracted to pencil necked space dorks

Yeah, we could use spaceships to feed the homeless because all goods and talents are easily transferable into something totally different.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prettz posted:

The military has a larger allocation of the material for their own projects. It's great for powering stuff like deep sea intelligence gathering arrays and other poo poo that needs to last on its own power for years unserviced.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
P-238
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1#Power
You know, just operating for 39 years and expected to continue for another 9.

Nasa is loving amazing.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

VendaGoat posted:

Nasa is loving amazing.

Agreed. Not just anyone can invent Tang.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
No one has ever gone to the moon nor has anyone made a good cup of decaffeinated coffee.
Truth sucks bitches.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

VendaGoat posted:

P-238
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1#Power
You know, just operating for 39 years and expected to continue for another 9.

Nasa is loving amazing.
Disclaimer, almost everything on Voyager is turned off because there's so little power left.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Champenema posted:

No one has ever gone to the moon nor has anyone made a good cup of decaffeinated coffee.
Truth sucks bitches.

27 ppl have gone to the moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

gonna have to power up the old 4d3d3d

• Locked thread