Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the Tony Romo Division Finally Get a Ring
This poll is closed.
Yes 3 16.67%
No 2 11.11%
Tony Romo Kitchen Fire.gif 11 61.11%
I am not in the league, but I shall vote anyway. 2 11.11%
Total: 14 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I only run this league anymore because I hate myself

It's once again time to face fantasy hell with the 20-team fantasy league! Enjoy the struggles of having to select between Teddy Bridgewater or Sam Bradford for your RB1 for your win-or-go-home game against the guy starting Nick Foles. Silently weep yourself to sleep over the fact that if you had only taken a DEF before you decided to take a backup WR, you'd be dominating the league.

:siren:CURRENT DRAFT IS LISTED AT Sun, Aug 28, 2016, 9PM EASTERN TIME:siren:

The 20-team fantasy league enters its EIGHTH season this year, and as any of the vets can tell you, it is a BLAST. To the vets (and former members), please make sure you claim your spot soon. Unlike previous years, I'm just keeping the wait list in perpetuam from henceforth. Whatever.

:siren:LITERALLY ALL THE RULES ARE HERE, READ THEM:siren:
(no, veterans, there is no hidden prize this year, I promise)

:siren:Members:siren:
Priority goes to the 19 lucky gents (and 1 gal) who got into the league last year. These guys will have til about Aug. 7th to tell me IN THIS THREAD that they are going to participate (even if you have already through PM/in the season 5 thread). I am not psychic, and I really don't keep up with HILARIOUS FORUM JOKES, so I do not know if you've changed your username, so you know, lemme know if you did that. Also, if you're changing your team name, tell us so we can update the OP. IF YOU ARE A RETURNING MEMBER, ALSO POST IN THE LEAGUE PAGE TO CONFIRM YOU CAN ACTUALLY READ.

Second priority goes to wait list people. There's no more games with having to post within the three day window like last seasons. I'm too old to deal with that poo poo. If you were on the wait list from last year, you're below. If you want to be added to the wait list, post and I will add you first come first serve.

Scoring
This can be debated, but I think we've settled on the scoring. Return yards have worked very well for the league's depth, particularly for the D/STs. For quick reference, here it is:

BREAKDOWN
The draft *does* take time, but really the roster is smaller than most. Most people seemed happy with the way the rosters were last year, but we are always up for debate to expand it (contracting is out of the question). Last year, we voted to expand the rosters to:

QB, RB, WR, RB/WR/TE, RB/WR/TE, TE, D/ST, K, 5 BE, 2 IR

DRAFT
We will be doing a live draft again, and the less said about the literally day-long offline draft we did during season 1 the better (so don't loving ask to do an offline one). I'm amenable to changing the draft date *a little*, but I really want to keep it as is unless too many of us miss it. Please plan your schedules accordingly. Set your rankings, and get a friend to draft for you if need be (better option).

Draft order will be randomized after the league is officially filled. IF YOU TRADE DRAFT PICKS BEFORE THE DRAFT ORDER IS DETERMINED, THESE WILL BE RESET.

LEAGUE SCHEDULING
I have yet to set up the schedules. As the vets know, this takes me time to do... I'm a lazy sack of poo poo and often wait til opening Thursday to do it.
your schedule will look like this:
-8 division games
-3 conference games
-2 OoC games

We keep the same divisions, as always. Dan Marino division - best division. If a division wants to change their name, lemme know. The AFC and NFC conferences will be placed on other ends of the real playoffs when the time comes. If you can't understand which is which, :frogout:.

PLAYOFF BERTHS

I could have sworn I had a section on this, but since I am asked this every year, I'm putting it in the OP. :siren:IGNORE THE ESPN PLAYOFF BERTHS, THEY ARE WRONG:siren:. The playoff berths are determined using the ACTUAL RULES THE NFL HAS. In some cases, I skip a tie-breaker, like "margin of victory", because you cannot control how the other team scores.

SEASON 7 WHACK-A-DOODLES:
code:
SA Name                    Team Name
JetsGuy                    Johnny Doesn't Give a gently caress
tuckfard                   RATED R SUPERSTARS
jabro                      bELIeve Dirty Sanchez
Silly Burrito              The Farmering Odells
braksgirl                  Taco Tuesday
chrix                      Naptown Sleepers
halonx                     Wisconsin Cows
darkwolf220                Seattle Fraisers
commish                    Baller Status
Power of Pecota            Akron Peppercorns
MikeyKins                  Sesame Berts
Pain of Mind               San Francisco PoM
tadashi                    der juicen Lives Forever
Eltoasto                   Spinnin' Frennys
bbf2                       Aaron H's Hand gun Emporium
Spiros                     Solid State Poo
3 DONG HORSE              Mouth Breathing Retards
JuicedSixFo               Zoltan Mesko
(*ed guys haven't posted in the league page yet)
(^ed guys HAVE posted in the league forum, but haven't recently posted here)

LAST YEAR'S FOOLS WHO HAVE NOT YET SIGNED BACK UP
code:
(two people left this year)
RETIREES (pour one out}
code:
seventeen                 The Hot Dog Heros
FlyWhiteBoy               When it Rains it Gores
PENDING OFF WAIT LIST
code:
DUBIOUS - to replace FlyWhiteBoy (When it Rains it Gores).
SEASON 8 WAIT LIST
code:
Metapod
Baldrash
Jerome Agricola
LINK FOR THE LAZY:
http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/leagueoffice?leagueId=524484

HALL OF HONOR:
Season 1: J-City Rockstars [Joe Montana Division]
Season 2: bbf2, Plaxico's Hand gun Emporium [Dan Marino Division]
Season 3: bbf2, Stevie J's Hand gun Emporium [Dan Marino Division]
Season 4: JuicedSixFo, Zoltan Mesko [Dan Marino Division]
Season 5: Chrix, Naptown Sleepers [Bart Starr Division]
Season 6: Braksgirl(a.k.a Mrs. Burrito), Taco Tuesday [Dan Marino Division]
Season 7: Commish, Baller Status [Joe Namath Division]

LEAGUE HISTORY:
Season 7 - What the gently caress is Wrong With Us?
Season 6 - Still Not as Tough as the SEC
Season 5 - The Only Place Dan Marino Gets a Ring
Season 4 - Bounty Programs Aint Crazy Y'all
Season 3 - More Nuts than CBA Arguments
Season 2 - Still loving Nuts
Season 1 - Let's Go Nuts

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
(placeholder post)

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

tuckfard posted:

Still in!

jabro posted:

I'm in.

Silly Burrito posted:

In and will most likely change name. Too lazy to think of a horrible pun right now.

Most excellent. I'm phone posting from a BBQ atm but I'll update tonight.

The real question is - will the Tony Romo division finally win it? It's (CURRENT YEAR) after all!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
just posting to say I haven't forgotten about this thread and will update when I feel like it.

My life right now can only afford me drive by shitposting in my freetime.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Useless me finally updated the thread. A bunch of y'all haven't signed up yet, a few haven't signed up in the ESPN forum.

Honestly though, I don't give that much of a gently caress about that hoop if you're a veteran. I assume you know what the gently caress you're doing.

Feel free to harass everyone on the yet to sign up list

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 26, 2016

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Dubious posted:

someone leave so i can get in tia

Looking pretty likely this year. Generally we only lose one or two, but it seems like we're due for a turnover like S1.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I just wanna say while I just did it for two people, I'm never chasing down name changers again. I'm entirely too grizzled to track down this poo poo anymore.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Updated. I think.

Anyway FlyWhiteBoy is leaving us, so I'm sending a PM to Dubious. If you see him, annoy him endlessly.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Just to be clear I'm away for a few days so I likely won't be doing anything with this league until Wednesday / Thursday

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

bbf2 posted:

Was the draft order set yet or is the number I'm seeing (13th) on my page randomly given by ESPN and the real order hasn't been determined yet?

No. I got back late yesterday. I'll get the new guys in later today and set the real draft order.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Sent the invite to Dubious finally.

I'm hoping SA Poster "Metapod" notices my post to them in the generic league thread, because they don't have PMs. If you know them, please let them know they're up.

Otherwise it goes to the next person on the list. IN the meantime, I'm now about to do the draft order.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

I changed the draft order on ESPN to reflect this. It's your loving fault if I hosed up and you don't notice. I'm not checking again.

Metapod posted:

I MADE THE CUT metapod1997@gmail.com

Invite sent. Dubious, you may have gotten a second one when I sent Metapods.

Both of y'all are replacing long standing members, WE EXPECT GREAT THINGS.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
To be clear

Dubious is to replace "FlyWhiteBoy"
Metapod is to replace "seventeen"

We're sorry to see them both go. :smith:

Both of y'all feel free to change your names (and tell me what you're changing it to).

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
just a yearly reminder that we once lost a member who got banned in the offseason for promoting posting fake reviews for his erotic fiction on Amazon.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Silly Burrito posted:

You may have to settle for a kicker. That D should be a top 5 pick.

Even in this league you're a moron if you draft a kicker before the last round.

d/st is different because those return yards can make up for a multitude of sins in your lineup.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

darkwolf220 posted:

That is a poor comparison. Kickers are taken last because it typically does not matter much from one kicker to the next, not that they can't put up numbers similar to starting rb/wrs. The top 20 kickers had between 168 and 112 points. Eliminate the best and worst 5 and you're looking at between 142 and 121. The difference from one kicker to the next just isn't that big unless you luck into one of the best kickers of the year. Even if your kicking game is on point and you got the best guy, You're only looking at + a few points over the average kicker per game. Can a few points matter? Sure, of course, but spending an 8th rounder to try and get those few extra points instead of drafting a backup QB that is competent or something? I dunno.

Right. The difference week by week in the best kicker and a poo poo kicker is negligible.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

JuicedSixFo posted:

you guys can't try and argue logic here. you have to defy the odds. literally the worst manager by a mile won last year.

The most true post in the thread.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

JuicedSixFo posted:

My Mom was hospitalized Thursday and it's been a blur since then, didn't even realize it was Monday already.

Things are looking a lot better for her today though, wish I could say the same about my auto draft.

Dude all the best

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I would be willing to trade Brady juiced.... Just saying.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Btw I will do the schedule this weekend

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I guess I'll redo the schedule tomorrow because I have to. Lol

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

JetsGuy posted:

I guess I'll redo the schedule tomorrow because I have to. Lol

Man, ESPN must be finally recalling the schedules because again all I had to do is switch two games and that was in week 1.

Thank God. it used to take a long rear end time to redo this thing.

EVERYONE should have the appropriate schedule (check OP).

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

JuicedSixFo posted:

Why do I always have to play PoM

The Dan Marino Division is tough enough

This is a good complaint and it makes me realize I need to shuffle the team's as I list them in the schedule generator.

It's not much Juiced, but I'll be sure you don't play em next year.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Pain of Mind posted:

I am not very observant, and did not even realize we were playing similar people outside of our division every year, I did think I was playing you and Zoltan Mesko an abnormal number of times, I do remember always grumbling that I was always playing 5-1 teams or whatever outside of my division while others were playing 2-4 teams.

Will there ever be any consideration in shuffling divisions as well every few years, or is the rivalry (and Dan Marino circle jerk), too much to do away with that? I was in a 12 team league with 4 divisions, and they had not been shuffled for like 15 years, so it was always the same teams getting trounced on if they were in a knowledgeable 3 person division.

If any of you win two championships we may deign to invite you to the illustrious Dan Marino division, division of champions.

If the rest of you losers want to shuffle your lesser divisions I'd consider it.

Division rivalry is really part of the fun of the league though.

Next year what I think I'll do is try to do it myself and do it by inverse of how you did.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

tadashi posted:

I love it when I make 3 waiver claims and get none. I moved from like 17 to 9 this week in the waiver order.

This league owns.

Also I think the waiver wire resets each week? If it doesn't I should fix it to the normal way.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

darkwolf220 posted:

Welp, 3 weeks in and my season is effectivly over. Yay, new record!

You speak like you've never seen this league turn on a dime before.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Fitzpatrick gave me -2.7 points and I'm still soundly beating Mrs Burrito.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
This league continues to own and gets more and more competitive every year.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Silly Burrito posted:

I don't think I've ever seen an entire division all at 3-3. You go Dan Marino.

The best division.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Sorry I've been lax on my posting lads. I'm still here.

Silly Burrito posted:

14 teams over .500 with four games left to go.

Good luck with your playoff calculations, Jetsguy. You'd have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out.

:smug:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I'm dreading the playoff calculations this year

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I'll do it tonight, and as always it's NFL rules (kind of). Usually HtH and common opponents is enough.

One year I literally had to flip a coin

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

MikeyKins posted:

Missed the playoffs because I tried to be cute and started the Niners D. What a wet fart of a way to go out

Haven't done it yet. May not get to it tonight but it's either tonight or tomorrow. Yaaaaayyy.

gently caress Thursday night football.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I got hosed at work yesterday and just couldn't get it done.

Literally doing it right now. Sorry y'all.

This means the matchups may literally be changed during the RNF game.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

AFC
Mouthbreathing Retards and Zoltan Mesko won their divisions. Mouthbreathers have the better record, so they get the 1 and 2 seeds, respectively.

Baller Status wins the #3 slot with the best record of the remaining teams.

We then have a 3 way tie with the 7-6 teams: Cow, Freeneys, & Banks. By NFL rules, we first apply the division tiebreaker to Cows & Freeneys:
- Cows and Freeneys split
- Cows had the better division record (6-2) over Freeneys (3-5)

So we're then left with the Cows and Banks to determine who gets the last slot. We're (I'm) forunate here in that there was a HtH game. The Banks beat the Cows. Therefore, The Banks get the #4 slot.

AFC BRACKET:
code:
1.   Mouth Breathing Retards
4.   Blank's Banks

2.   Zoltan Mesko
3.   Baller Status
NFC
Well the #1 slot is obvious and goes to the Naptown Sleepers, who has the best record with 9-4.

We then have a three-way tie for the Joe Montana Division. First step with a three way tie for the division is W% among the three teams. "Solid State Poo" makes my life easy by going 3-1 in his four games against the other two. Deflated Bush went 2-2, "Striving for Mediocrity"... well, did with 1-3.
#2, and winner of the division - "Solid State Poo"

Luckily for those two guys, they get into the playoffs since no one in the Bart Starr/Tony Romo division got to 8-5. We go to the head to head record to determine their seeding.
- They split in HtH

*unlike* for a division tiebreaker, we now go to W% among the CONFERENCE (not the division). Both teams went 2-1 in their games against the Tony Romo division, which makes their Conference records 8-3 (Deflated Bush) and 7-4 (Mediocrity).

NFC Bracket:
code:
1.    Naptown Sleepers
4.    Striving for Mediocrity

3.    Deflated Bush
2.    Solid State Poo
I'm going to update the ESPN right now. It's on you to check that I did it right.

As with last year, I'm too damned lazy to do the consolation ladder. It's usually close enough and no one cares.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
apologizes to Cows, who probably got your hopes up with how long that took

:smith:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Silly Burrito posted:

Every year I try to do this, I always get my calculations wrong. But damned if I won't try until Jetsguy laughs at me and proves me wrong. Feel free to check the math and see if I forgot to carry a four or divide by zero or something.

But...(assuming no scoring changes or that Quincy doesn't get negative yardage tomorrow night to make me lose), the NFC may actually be simple.

Solid State Poo lost, going to 8-5.
I will most likely win, going to 8-5.
Deflated Bush most likely will win, going to 8-5.
Naptown Sleepers will most likely win, going to 9-4. It doesn't actually matter if he wins or not, because Inglorious Staffords lost, going to 7-6, so Sleepers wins the Romo division.

No other team in the NFC has eight wins, so that's your NFC. No idea who won the Montana division, probably not me.

Mouth Breathing Retards won, going to 9-4, winning the Namath division.
Zoltan Mesko wins and goes 8-5, winning the Marino division.
Baller Status won, going 8-5.
Cows too close to tell with two players left on both sides. If the Cows win, they're 8-5.

If the Cows don't win, then there are multiple teams in the AFC that could finish with seven wins and possibly get in.

I swear, if I miscalculated and barely miss the drat playoffs again.... :argh:

You were pretty much right, if Cows won. Cows losing that last game and going 7-6 ultimately screwed him because the tiebreakers just fell against him.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
This is likely my fault, but "Cheap Trick" are you Guiseppe Pizzapie or whatever?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

halonx posted:

My hopes were never exactly high. Though, scoring the most points and not making the playoffs is a bit rough.

Yeah, I hear ya. This is the best you've done in this league right? IIRC you're one of our charter members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

• Locked thread