Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BeanBandit posted:

I thought I would never like brussels sprouts, but then I learned how tasty they are when drizzled in olive oil and roasted.

Drizzling with olive oil and some salt and pepper and then roasting works for like every vegetable. Vegetables are great, though I admit I've never been big on beets or raw carrots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

All vegetables are gross except for the good ones (uh... Spinach, Onions, Peppers and the ones that are basically just crunchy water.)

I will fight you. :colbert:

I used to really like spinach as a kid, and I still really like onions and peppers are great on pizza.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Peas are my most hated childhood vegetable and I still can't make myself like them. I've tried and just got to the point where I can eat them if they're served to me and tolerate their existence at least.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Raw carrots are my favorite form of vegetable, especially when eaten with hummus.

I will never be able to enjoy a mushroom.

EDIT: Also hate celery. People who package celery along with broccoli and carrots should be shot.

Just give me the broccoli and carrots and cauliflower.

Keep your loving celery.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
I was diagnosed with a condition as an adult that apparently can present itself in the form of a seriously bad tolerance for bitter and spicy things, most commonly coffee. (Can't stand coffee either, unless it's drowned in sugar and cream/milk.) Basically I have the taste palate of a child and to an extent I can't do much about it.

Watching the dad talk about having gotten overwhelmed at the grocery store's vegetable aisle was almost exactly what happens to me in real life. Maybe this anime can give me that kick to go out and try veggie-stuff, don't have a clay pot to work rice and such with but maybe there'll be some delicious dish you can make in a non-Japanese kitchen and without cooking chopsticks. (HAMBURG STEAK HAMBURG STEAK OMURAISU OMURAISU :sun:)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Everything Burrito posted:

Peas are my most hated childhood vegetable and I still can't make myself like them. I've tried and just got to the point where I can eat them if they're served to me and tolerate their existence at least.

I can't think of peas and not think of this.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

This is me, and it sucks. Everyone talks about how tasty and meaty mushrooms are, but I can't get past that slimy texture and earthy taste.

More for the mushroom lovers, though. I'll be over here enjoying my other veggies. :3:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

CryingAthena posted:

I was diagnosed with a condition as an adult that apparently can present itself in the form of a seriously bad tolerance for bitter and spicy things, most commonly coffee. (Can't stand coffee either, unless it's drowned in sugar and cream/milk.) Basically I have the taste palate of a child and to an extent I can't do much about it.

Watching the dad talk about having gotten overwhelmed at the grocery store's vegetable aisle was almost exactly what happens to me in real life. Maybe this anime can give me that kick to go out and try veggie-stuff, don't have a clay pot to work rice and such with but maybe there'll be some delicious dish you can make in a non-Japanese kitchen and without cooking chopsticks. (HAMBURG STEAK HAMBURG STEAK OMURAISU OMURAISU :sun:)

Try roasted carrots. The first time I made them I ate a pound of them by accident.

Edit: Like "Hmm, this is tasty. I will eat another piece... welp, guess I don't need to eat dinner anymore."

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Soups are a really good way to enjoy veggies too. I hate onions but I'll go to town on a creamy onion soup at the drop of a hat.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Raw carrots are my favorite form of vegetable, especially when eaten with hummus.

EDIT: Also hate celery. People who package celery along with broccoli and carrots should be shot.

Just give me the broccoli and carrots and cauliflower.

Keep your loving celery.

Celery is disgusting. I tried it once at an elementary school party and was traumatized.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love raw celery but cooked it is an abomination

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Asparagus will still make me gag.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I used to not like beets, but now they're okay.

I think I'm okay with practically every vegetable since I'm in a Vietnamese family and Vietnamese cuisine practically requires a whole bunch of these bitter leafy greens to balance out the rich dishes that are associated with it. I can also eat bittermelon, no problem, stuff's delicious to me

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Asparagus will still make me gag.

Asparagus is my favorite vegetable. So drat good when roasted. I'm also a big fan of roasted kale.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Most things are good, but i'm not a fan of beets. Although i've never tried borscht, so who knows.

e: not a vegetable

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
All you babies crying about celery need to make a soup or tomato sauce from a mirepoix base. 1 part carrot and 1 part celery to 2 parts onion, and the size you cut it will determine how long it takes to cook, so generally do a brunoise or macedoine cut for the vegetables, then throw in the pot with an oil/butter/etc. At low/medium-low heat. You want it hot enough to hear a soft sizzle but NOT enough to brown them at all. This is called sweating your vegetables, and you do this for like 30 minutes+ till that shits translucent and smells amazing. Then you take that as a base and do stuff with it.

Then you'll understand what is so great about celery

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 16, 2016

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

This thread seems to have become the GWS enclave within ADTRW. I love it :D

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

Asparagus is my favorite vegetable. So drat good when roasted. I'm also a big fan of roasted kale.

I like a good asparagus too. Roasted kale is ok.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There are no bad vegetables, there are only bad vegetable dishes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Clarste posted:

There are no bad vegetables, there are only bad vegetable dishes.

Counterpoint: bitter melon

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Xelkelvos posted:

Counterpoint: bitter melon

It is the vegetable that weeds out the weak

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Tsumugi is a good girl. Tsumugi also wins at Miso Soup. Is there anything she cannot do?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Someday i hope i can win at miso soup.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 19, 2016

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I can't believe I'm posting on the same board as fussy eaters.

Eat your goddamn greens.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Tsumugi is a good girl. Tsumugi also wins at Miso Soup. Is there anything she cannot do?

brush her hair properly

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

brush her hair properly

that's a skill that takes a while to learn.

My youngest sister was in first or second grade and wasn't doing a good job brushing her hair, and it finally reached the point that she just had a huge matted rat's nest on the underside because she was just kinda brushing over the top so it looked like she was doing it. My mother had to use detangler meant for horse's tails to brush it out.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

brush her hair properly
In her defense, she's 50% hair by volume.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010
While she resembles her mom, definitely has her dad's messy hair type.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kibibit posted:

In her defense, she's 50% hair by volume.

I wonder if it's even possible to grow that much hair by age 4.

I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

Well if she was born with a bunch of it and it was never cut even once after she was born...maybe?

A little bummed out that kindergarten drama sucked a bunch of the joy from much waited Hamburg steaks. Kindergarten boys are dumb. :colbert: (Most realistic portrayal of a kindergarten did-too-did-not-did-too fight, though!)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Super Jay Mann posted:

My niece is 3 1\2 and she's getting close

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I chuckled at this scene. Was waiting for somebody to post screenshots.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

I think this is even better out of context (I didn't watch it yet).

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Super Jay Mann posted:

It's definitely possible. My folks adopted a cousin shortly after her birth and basically didn't touch her hair (cutting-wise) until she was about 5. By that time it was past her back and way into the *explosion of too much hair* look.

This is partly why I'm enjoying this show so much! Fond memories of incoherent drawings, the failure to negotiate shirt buttons, etc. etc. :kimchi:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

maybeflan posted:

Took a bit since I was rereading the first few chapters: anyway, it was chapter 18.

Why you gotta make me cry, man?

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Just started watching this show last night. Was getting the feels like it was a Pixar movie. I hope this series gets more then 1 cour. I also like that Tsumugi and the other kindergartners actually act like little kids.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

I made Hamburg Steak and rice today. It was pretty good.

e: I may end up doing this for every episode.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

CuLT posted:

I made Hamburg Steak and rice today. It was pretty good.

e: I may end up doing this for every episode.

Do it and report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Do it and report back.

yeah, could be fun!
I want to try some of the recipes at some point, have mostly been too lazy to do much cooking lately though.

• Locked thread