Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
1. That was SO GOOD. I feel a bit silly for being worried about the anime adaptation now. (Provided they keep it up, of course, but this episode went a long way toward assuaging those fears.)

2. Brian the Sun sure gets around these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Expected this to end with "It went back up," 2/10.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Clarste posted:

This series is super slow paced, and while that isn't necessarily a bad thing given the mood they're going for, I'm wondering how they're actually going to get to all the side character shown in the OP and ED. Actually, how many episodes is this scheduled for?

The anime seems to be covering one manga chapter per episode, so if it's a typical 12-episode cour everyone in the OP should get plenty of screen time eventually.

In fact, with that schedule, I'm very slightly disappointed that the big blow-up in chapter 10 will have to wait until the second season for its emotional resolution in chapter 14.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Kotori's reaction when Kouhei says "Can we even eat all this?" is pretty great. To him, it's a grand feast. To her, it's a Tuesday.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Everything Burrito posted:

That's usually how I do it but they're really just not as pretty as a nice sunny side up. My eggs are also always lopsided because my kitchen floor (and therefore my stove) are unlevel so they always run to one side of the pan :(

Fun fact: Many stoves have adjustable legs/feet that screw in and out to level the cooktop.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I only just noticed they skipped a couple of manga chapters in there, probably because they were too much cooking and not enough feels. Would have liked to see sensei making fried chicken while everybody else hides in the next room though.

On the upside, yay Yagi!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

It does seem a bit less impactful, possibly because they've eliminated the internal monologues. Also they've had three episodes by this point that end with "Tsumugi says food is tasty, dad almost cries, Kotori hides a wistful smile."

I also sort of miss the hypnotoad eyes from the manga, which makes everyone look more ... organic? emotional? maybe?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I'd like to nominate this one for the "Best Out-of-Context GIF" award.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

It's like the writers heard my earlier concerns and mashed things up in exactly the best way. What a great episode, and a musical to boot.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

In this episode, Tsumugi's mom returns from the dead to remind her to eat all her fish.

While it wasn't an emotionally devastating roller coaster like last week, Tsumugi's sudden realization that food actually comes from somewhere and turns into you was super cute. I don't think I had that revelation until sometime in my teens.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Well I mean who doesn't want to dress up as a pig?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Nowhere to go but up.

Also the stunning debut of Kotori's mom ... right at the end of the series.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

She's really great and I wish we got to see more of her animated.

I like the character but something seemed ... odd about the way she looks here. Maybe the only-lower-lip lipstick coloring or something. Reminds me a bit of Chiyo's cameo in the last episode, with her GIGANTIC EYES.

Also she didn't get flustered! Her getting all flustered in the original manga was the best part!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

The manga only has thirty-some-odd chapters at the moment and every single one of them is a gem. Hop on.

Also, while I did like the way the anime combined the "Tsumugi runs off" and "Kouhei is sick" chapters, his angry outburst in the manga has more impact, mostly because we follow him around as he gets more and more panicked, and we don't know where she went until he does.

Anime counterpoint: The shark song was adorable.

• Locked thread