Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

PV

Kouhei Inuzuka is a teacher who has been caring for his little daughter on his own since his wife's death. He's no good at cooking, so he and his daughter Tsumugi have been eating packaged meals from the convenience store. A series of events lead him one evening to a restaurant run by the mother of one of his students, Kotori. Her mother isn't there, but Kotori does her best to feed them both. It turns out Kotori is often alone since her parents are divorced and her mother is frequently not around. The three of them begin to meet and cook tasty food together.

Based on the super-cute manga by Gido Amagakure, sweetness & lightning is airing on Crunchyroll. I also recommend reading the manga (also available on CR) which has been a Dad Manga Thread favorite. FYI the daughter, Tsumugi, is voiced by Rina Endou who voiced Hina in Barakamon.

Tsumugi is the cutest and that's really all you need to know to start with :3:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm already completely emotionally invested in all the characters so I don't think I'll make it without crying at least once per episode.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 4, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

Has there ever been one of these "single dad with a child" manga where the child is a boy instead of a girl?

in addition to Father and Son a lot of the BL ones do, plus Chichikogusa

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/749092556240105473

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I want a stuffed Mr. Galigali!!

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 5, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Futaba Anzu posted:

This statement does not breed a lot of confidence in me

Not going to deny there aren't some of those, but I don't link those in the dad manga thread :v:

Sometimes you'll see a sequel with the kid(s) after they get older though, like Yozora no Sumikko de and Kozure Ookami

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kinda surprised it took this long tbh

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Most of them probably don't invite you in and feed you when they're closed and the main staff aren't there :v:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Tsumugi is the cutest, but the dad is also extremely cute. Do not ignore the cute dad.

There's no danger of that, I can assure you

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The manga is generally happy but Kouhei and Tsumugi are dealing with some still-fresh grief and there are quite a few chapters that touch on that in various ways. Pretty much anything dealing with the mom yanks the tears right out of my face even when they're generally happy memories or just a really brief moment in an overall upbeat chapter (I have the same reaction reading Chichikogusa tbh).

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It needs to start before my lunch break is over so I can watch it at work instead of waiting til I get home!! :mad:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's the recipe from the first chapter for those who aren't reading, so you can see what they're like

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tsumugi is a beast

knife skills :chef:

actually the cutest

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also here's the second recipe:

I probably won't do this every time because y'all should just go read it!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I managed not to but it was close right at the end.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/takaoyuki_/status/751055422035865600

a special edition of volume 7 of the manga comes with a cute little lunch box :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's not something I paid much attention to so I can't tell you when the transition happened but I just glanced at the latest chapter and she's using chopsticks now. There wasn't a big "Tsumugi learns to chopstick" arc or anything though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I remember being pretty unenthused about certain veggies as a kid but most of that was really just my mom being a lovely cook :shobon:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Peas are my most hated childhood vegetable and I still can't make myself like them. I've tried and just got to the point where I can eat them if they're served to me and tolerate their existence at least.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love raw celery but cooked it is an abomination

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

brush her hair properly

that's a skill that takes a while to learn.

My youngest sister was in first or second grade and wasn't doing a good job brushing her hair, and it finally reached the point that she just had a huge matted rat's nest on the underside because she was just kinda brushing over the top so it looked like she was doing it. My mother had to use detangler meant for horse's tails to brush it out.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Do it and report back.

yeah, could be fun!
I want to try some of the recipes at some point, have mostly been too lazy to do much cooking lately though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
that's my other problem, if I need something not usually sold in the average American South small town grocery store I have to order it online which requires a bit of planning ahead (and limits what I can get i.e. nothing fresh).

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Just watched ep 3, and I'm proud of myself. Only one single tear.

:same:

Tsumugi put on a pro-level pout this ep

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
smugface in motion

lil baby Kouhei :3:

tfw you realize you're actually a cooking genius

tfw you realize you're not

last week's drat fine egg

I fried some eggs for breakfast this morning and was wishing mine looked that nice

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

put the egg in a strainer then fry it

I don't actually have one but have been meaning to buy one for egg poaching purposes anyway. I want some cooking chopsticks too, they seem really handy.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Law Cheetah posted:

if you can manage to flip the egg without loving it up you'll get a nice film of cooked white over the yolk, like at a diner. over easy eggs are the best

That's usually how I do it but they're really just not as pretty as a nice sunny side up. My eggs are also always lopsided because my kitchen floor (and therefore my stove) are unlevel so they always run to one side of the pan :(

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mirage posted:

Fun fact: Many stoves have adjustable legs/feet that screw in and out to level the cooktop.

I'll have to check on that! My stove is a piece of poo poo that I've wanted to replace since I moved into this house, it had really never occurred to me to check for leveling feet.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

quote:

Endo: Also, Tsumugi-chan often sings and all those songs are my own ad-libs. Please look out for them.
holy crap that's adorable

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
what kind of failure of a person doesn't like eggs though

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm guessing Tsumugi is voiced by an actual kid? Sounds like it.

yep, 10 years old and also voiced one of the kids in Barakamon

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
she's 10, and having an actual child voice a child character adds a lot of authenticity that you wouldn't get having an older actor put on a fake childish voice, it's kinda not really the same thing at all.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
the squeaking :kimchi:

also yay it's Yagi! I wish he'd been a little nicer animated when they were in the park though (along with everyone else).

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
panic! at the crisco

sensei please marry yagi

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't remember if it was this manga or What Did You Eat Yesterday? but one or the other of them taught me the difference between weak and strong flour -- I knew there were different types but had only heard them referred to as cake flour or bread flour etc. and also have never done much baking so when I first ran across the terms they were a total mystery.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

not sure if it's something with me or with presentation, but i feel like i got a little teary at every chapter of the manga but haven't had that response to the anime once. but, also, it's super cute and the first thing i keep up with when a new ep shows up.

kinda same, I've had a few moments but so far the anime isn't hitting me in quite the same way as the manga. I was chalking up most of it to having already read it so it's not quite the same as the first time through the story, but skimming through the few things that have been skipped over I think maybe they're holding some of the sting back so it stays sweet and cute and light to start off with.

e: ahh poo poo I was skimming through the chapters and hit one that made me cry lol

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 5, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
food is probably pretty challenging since it has to both look recognizable and also appealing and not gross/unappetizing

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
ugh wtf I thought I was posting in the shoujo thread :mad:

I'm really not that drunk I swear! At least it's my own thread I'm making GBS threads up.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
No reason for it not to be. Most of the discussion previously was in the dad manga thread though so that's also a place to post about it.

• Locked thread