Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Are you going to continue turning in one soul a video? Because there's a not so obvious thing that happens if you are carrying around 1+ souls with you and you are attacked.

Speaking of which, i can't even imagine how crazy this game gets down the line when more than 3/4ths of the house wants you dead at any given time. At the very least you can count on Gregory,Judgement Boy and James to never turn on you. Even if James seems more the passive aggressive type than the Horror Show type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Are you going to continue turning in one soul a video? Because there's a not so obvious thing that happens if you are carrying around 1+ souls with you and you are attacked.

Speaking of which, i can't even imagine how crazy this game gets down the line when more than 3/4ths of the house wants you dead at any given time. At the very least you can count on Gregory,Judgement Boy and James to never turn on you. Even if James seems more the passive aggressive type than the Horror Show type.
I can definitely carry one around in the next video since I have to save before I go to sleep, and I definitely want to try to show off interesting stuff if possible. I just kinda assumed it was nothing more than they'd knock you down and take it or something.

Also I get a feeling like Lost Doll isn't going to be super aggressive to us...but I guess we'll see.

edit: Also if I'm going to fast or if people think I'm missing anything then please tell me; but the current plan is to limit the videos to one soul and exploring bits of the hotel as we do that. So we'll definitely see the bar or the courtyard, but it'll be when we go after the new guests.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 15, 2016

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Many thanks! The only other thing i can think of you trying is to get attacked when you have multiple enemies chasing you at once.

I think the current way you are showing off the areas is fine. We'll be seeing lots of the same rooms as we go on and the solutions to get souls get more complex and you are already cutting out going back to the room to heal and what not so i say keep doing what you're doing!

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
The voices in the room are interesting. Is there a transcribed list of what they say? Do they start to loop and repeat after a while?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

ElTipejoLoco posted:

The voices in the room are interesting. Is there a transcribed list of what they say? Do they start to loop and repeat after a while?
Sadly I'm not sure; it does seem like as the game progresses the voices start to get clearer and more 'accusatory'? And I guess that all goes back to the fact that we're not sure who our character really is and why they were chosen as a sacrifice/point of interest in the hotel. Is it the soul under the ownership of the body or the body itself that people are interested in? And who might the voices be connected to, the soul or the original body?

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
According to the show Room 205, the room in which our character is staying in, is the room that the new guest stayed in. This guest being who we saw the events through the eyes of. For season two there were voices in the room and they were relevant to what we as the guest were there for or at least represented something about said guest.

Gregory House itself seems to be a kind of limbo with the events therein usually revolving around whoever is staying in room 205. Usually it ends in the choice of either escaping or staying. Staying meant you became a permanent guest and you would change accordingly. As seen by some of the other guests that are already there. The form you would take would normally represent what brought you there in the first place with at least two known exceptions.

Hopefully this sheds some light on what Gregory House is about without getting spoilerly since I pulled all my info from the show itself which had the links already posted.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I don't think the room we're staying in has a numerical designation and if it was a two hundred numbered room it'd be on the upper floor.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I think our guy is one of those people that are way too quiet all the time and have been punished for it.

or maybe a peeping tom? so he's forced to peek in on people and steal their poo poo as punishment for having done it before, so he learns an important lesson

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Niggurath posted:

I don't think the room we're staying in has a numerical designation and if it was a two hundred numbered room it'd be on the upper floor.

actually you can see a number on the door when you're walking around. Room 107.

the confusion probably comes from the pre-rendered cutscene at the beginning of the game, which is ripped straight from the first episode of season one, in which Gregory is leading the guest to his room, 205. All of the pre-rendered scenes are lifted straight from the show. The guest introduction scenes (mostly) come from season one, and the scene with catherine stabbing the bed is from season 2, for example. However, only the visuals from the show are used. The audio is not the same. I believe only Gregory and maybe Catherine have the same voice actors as the show's english dub (I mean among who we've seen so far)

Indigo Cephalopods fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 16, 2016

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

actually you can see a number on the door when you're walking around. Room 107.

the confusion probably comes from the pre-rendered cutscene at the beginning of the game, which is ripped straight from the first episode of season one, in which Gregory is leading the guest to his room, 205. All of the pre-rendered scenes are lifted straight from the show. The guest introduction scenes (mostly) come from season one, and the scene with catherine stabbing the bed is from season 2, for example. However, only the visuals from the show are used. The audio is not the same. I believe only Gregory and maybe Catherine have the same voice actors as the show's english dub (I mean among who we've seen so far)
You are very right, I looked at the video again and indeed the room number is right above 'guest room'. And it's good to realize that the cutscenes are just directly lifted from the anime, though I guess it's a bit of laziness and corner cutting, but that's alright I suppose.

I think what really makes me sad is that I can't do a video completely in first person because I can't interact with the doors from first person.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Good news Hooly; your wish has come true.

Yeah, in case anyone was wondering how difficult the game can become the Mummies are a good indication of this. They can either be insanely easy....or you can be stuck running around like an idiot for quite a long time.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Niggurath posted:

Good news Hooly; your wish has come true.

Yeah, in case anyone was wondering how difficult the game can become the Mummies are a good indication of this. They can either be insanely easy....or you can be stuck running around like an idiot for quite a long time.

Yay! Thanks for checking that out for me!

The other not so obvious thing i was really thinking of was that you actually take reduced damage from Horror Shows if you have any Souls on you. Don't think it applies to stopping status effects like in Mummy Dog's case though.It's actually quite a bit of a reduction if you're holding the maximum and you don't run into the owner of one you're holding

Also according to GFAQs the figurines are from filling out enough info about a characters schedule in the journal. Although we weren't extensively stalking Gregory or Catherine so who knows how we have them?

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 22, 2016

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Yeah, it definitely can be a reasonable risk to take to carry around a soul but it can turn out super bad if you get hit with melancholy and also have to get the soul again. Like in the case of Lost Doll, you'd have to probably farm up items to re-buy her doll again.

And yeah, for the figurines I thought it was that you had to fill in their entire schedule but it might be just a portion cause I know for certain I don't have very much filled in for Gregory.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Don't figurines come in a fixed order depending on how much of the schedule chart you've filled as a whole?

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
At least it wasn't a suppository.

The frantic drums of the chase music really reminds me of early fmv horror games for some reason.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

And just like that we've reached the halfway point of the game....but I feel like we're still being left in the dark about what's going on. For now though, we have to deal with a pistol packin' cactus and his friendly sister. Don't let her lasso your heart, Shub.

Also since I know everyone wants to see it: Bonus 4: Cactus Gunman's Horror Show

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
So, does Cactus Girl ever leave her room or is she always friendly?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

WombatCyborg posted:

So, does Cactus Girl ever leave her room or is she always friendly?
From what I've played of night 3 so far, it doesn't seem like she does leave her room but I also can't be sure if she's always friendly. I thought maybe Lost Doll would be reasonable and in the end, she definitely was not. But it's a bit hard to track what all the guests do now. Like Neko Zombie does some really random poo poo now and apparently at some point you can catch him in the kitchen freaking out or something. I just haven't figured out the time for that.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Given his reaction during the horror show, and Gregory's comments during his introductory episode - I do think of Catcus Gunman's cowardice is that for all his bluster, he cannot bring himself to actually kill someone - something a Revolutionary cannot avoid.

Edit: Catcus Gunman is one of the few places where the gender of the player matters

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 30, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
At first he might a negative depiction of Sancho Panza, and this game was counter-revolutionary but I don't believe he had a sister.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I wish I had a boxy cube body to flop down on a bed like that. He just looks so comfortable.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

This isn't the first time I've ruined a stew with my own personal ingredients. It's like when I was a kid and I'd microwave bologna with Worcester sauce cause I'm a loving gourmet.

Also as per usual: Bonus Five: Hell's Chef's Horror Show

coleman francis posted:

I wish I had a boxy cube body to flop down on a bed like that. He just looks so comfortable.
You'll always be a perfect square to me, Coleman.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The best Chef appearance on the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmGrKuvsQE8

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

You'd think after getting a talking to by his Mama for losing the souls Gregory would have taken notice that Chef had one in the storeroom? Even if he has no way of knowing you were about to steal it he should have at least taken the soul from Chef before re-lighting the fire.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Haha, even though I could see the punchline coming that was still wonderful. It's kinda sad that game can't be closer to that level of dark humor, and seems to reside in some weird limbo of 'slightly macabre but maybe for children' range.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

You'd think after getting a talking to by his Mama for losing the souls Gregory would have taken notice that Chef had one in the storeroom? Even if he has no way of knowing you were about to steal it he should have at least taken the soul from Chef before re-lighting the fire.
Well I think no matter what the guest always comes first to Gregory...also I think that Gregory is a bit of a tit (mouse) and probably just doesn't pay attention as well as he should. Or maybe he has some ulterior motives for letting us do what we do. I mean we are some pre-chosen sacrifice and we still don't know what that means.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, it's always safe to assume Gregory has an ulterior motive and he's nowhere near as crafty or observant as he claims to be.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Really glad to see this. For some reason not seeing the end of Jamesman's initial LP always bothered me, since it was such a quirky and idiosyncratic game. Imagine if he'd left Chulip undone!

EDIT-What's up with the artifacts around the characters during conversations? (Vertical/horizontal lines of brown on white background text sections like dialogue) Emulator problem?

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 6, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah I've been looking forward to this LP for a long time, too. It would be amazing if you could get him to guest in a episode or something. Shame his PS2 hated the international unlocker he was using.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah I've been looking forward to this LP for a long time, too. It would be amazing if you could get him to guest in a episode or something. Shame his PS2 hated the international unlocker he was using.
I'm always up for having people guest; I mean when I was doing Disaster I wanted Coulis and Psycho Serum to come and join in the fun, but I think most of those people are burnt out on LP's and I never want to be a bother.

Scaramouche posted:

Really glad to see this. For some reason not seeing the end of Jamesman's initial LP always bothered me, since it was such a quirky and idiosyncratic game. Imagine if he'd left Chulip undone!

EDIT-What's up with the artifacts around the characters during conversations? (Vertical/horizontal lines of brown on white background text sections like dialogue) Emulator problem?
Yeah, it's just a slight emulation issue with the font and stuff. I'm hoping that it's only a bit minimal and that it's not too distracting to the overall experience.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Heh, I remember I guested on I think DOW 2 with you once way back, had totally forgotten.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

WombatCyborg posted:

Heh, I remember I guested on I think DOW 2 with you once way back, had totally forgotten.
Oh, I'm not saying I haven't had guests. You, Kaboom Dragoon, Deceitful Penguin, Voidburger; plenty of lovely people who've been nice enough to join me. But I meant more like if people had previously done or abandoned LP's of said games; I understand if they never want to interact with those games again.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Just discovered this LP this weekend. Kinda disappointed it hasn't been updated in so long. The Hell Chef soul was actually a pretty fun puzzle all things considered.

Is there any significance to the other stuff sitting in the shop, like the gatcha machine or the poster with Gregory's phone number on it?

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Gregory Horror Show is the Cursed Game. It has now claimed 2 LPers.

When will the madness end.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

What better way to come back to an LP then an extremely meandering romp through corridors! I know I'm excited, how about yourselves?

Choco1980 posted:

Just discovered this LP this weekend. Kinda disappointed it hasn't been updated in so long. The Hell Chef soul was actually a pretty fun puzzle all things considered.

Is there any significance to the other stuff sitting in the shop, like the gatcha machine or the poster with Gregory's phone number on it?
As far as I can tell, it's just normal tourist trap items and inside jokes for the game and anime. Just levels of interesting background flair that the game throws in.

coleman francis posted:

Gregory Horror Show is the Cursed Game. It has now claimed 2 LPers.

When will the madness end.
I'm just an old man that was working lots of overtime on a lil game called Titanfall 2; so it was hard to get motivated to work on this when I was dead. Maybe I am still dead and this is the terrible work of a ghost.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Nice to see the ghost LP return from beyond the grave at any rate :toot:

Poor TV-Fish did nothing to deserve getting zapped like that though, it was probably Gregory's fault it was carrying a soul around. He's a big enough jerk to do that kind of thing.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Hooray thread's back to life!

I'm surprised the game didn't do anything with the whole "TV Fish displays your memories" stuff. Even Judgement Boy got a little event to do his schtick.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

dijon du jour posted:

Hooray thread's back to life!

I'm surprised the game didn't do anything with the whole "TV Fish displays your memories" stuff. Even Judgement Boy got a little event to do his schtick.

I guess as the PC is suppose to be the player's avatar and their reason for coming to the hotel is suppose to be vague for that reason, and almost all the cutscenes are from the series with either Male Guest or Female Guest - thus TV Fish's scenes wouldn't make sense.

Poor TV Fish though, it's one of the few genuinely helpful characters

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

TV Fish seemed a weird choice all around for a possible target in the game and I assume they merely went with it for some strange visuals and a different kind of gimmick in the fact that TV Fish isn't limited to a real logical pattern or set room location. Though in the end, I can't even say it'd be one of the stranger characters from the show....not when you have the fantasy revealing Bonsai Kabuki:

Also the next episode might be out today since it's a bit unique and fairly short; we shall see.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

And just cause I love double posting, here's the next update and the final soul for the third night. And believe it or not, we are actually super close to finishing the game....but that just mean the greatest dangers lie ahead.

Also, here's your horror show for good ol' Roulette Boy: Bonus 6: Roulette Boy's Horror Show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
It's a gosh darn, genuine, out of time, lemon lime christmas miracle.

It's great to see you back niggurath, hope things have slowed down for ya.

• Locked thread