Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Solvent posted:

Yup. Bag of dicks. This is why it's pointless to babel about religion. In fact, it's probably why Jones sounds the way he does.

It's all word salad if there's no frame of reference.

The demiurge is a concept, it means public worker/builder. Check into some of the works of Jung if any of you are more than failtrolling about it. I think it best represents the fallible human representation of the material world. Frankly, if you want to see X as Y, go ahead. Sure the demiurge is an alien in a spaceship, whatever. It's harmless till you insist that others see things exactly the way you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc8L-74Ilck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry guys I should only promote reasonable beliefs. One day the free market will produce an economy with no ecological impact, and we can upload our brains into computers and rocket off to colonize space.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Solvent posted:

Yup. Bag of dicks. This is why it's pointless to babel about religion. In fact, it's probably why Jones sounds the way he does.

It's all word salad if there's no frame of reference.

From what little we think we know about the actually existing Gnostics, they were a deeply communal people who ritualized the commons in all things. So unless there's an active community of Gnostics that you're engaging with, you're not anymore "devout" than a Catholic who never attends mass. All you're doing is toying with metaphysical concepts, because there's no meaningful way to even practice your professed religion. It is pure self indulgence.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ti and Do's classroom was an active community/monastery, but their mission on Earth was brief as the ways of the Kingdom of Heaven are not compatible with our vulgar material existence. I am one of the Two's Witnesses. Overcoming the self-indulgent righteousness that Lucifer would disguise as 'Godly' is part of the test for individual minds that are still developing in this garden/prison.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

McDowell posted:

Sorry guys I should only promote reasonable beliefs. One day the free market will produce an economy with no ecological impact, and we can upload our brains into computers and rocket off to colonize space.
lol, I like you mcdowell, don't ever change

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
though I should say i'm down for both uploading-brains-into-computers-into-colonizing-space and mocking people's religions, including the meaningless word salads that you seem to be familiar with, but i'll make an exception just for you if you can stay interesting

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ti and Do's message isn't a religion, it is facts. But anytime this planet receives an emissary from the Kingdom of Heaven the facts that are provided wind up being co-opted into material society. That is why I am emphasizing that I am only a relay - Do was quite clear about not building an earthly institution around this - the classroom was a limited time offer.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

McDowell posted:

'Conspiracy against the Human Race' by Thomas Ligotti is a good read if you find the Nag Hammadi to be intimidatiing.

Read Emil Cioran and get it over with already.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Gladney posted:

Read Emil Cioran and get it over with already.

Being pessimistic and suicidal could be earmarks of Next Level mind, but one cannot just run off and act on impulse. Developing control over the vehicle is part of the task, and the 'Clinic' is closed. If I was 'okay to go' I wouldn't be incarnate in a human that was only 9 when Hale Bopp illuminated our sky. I might be wrong but I could have a function to 'observe and report' on how this age gets recycled.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
take your loving meds, McDowell

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

From what little we think we know about the actually existing Gnostics, they were a deeply communal people who ritualized the commons in all things. So unless there's an active community of Gnostics that you're engaging with, you're not anymore "devout" than a Catholic who never attends mass. All you're doing is toying with metaphysical concepts, because there's no meaningful way to even practice your professed religion. It is pure self indulgence.

Seems kind of wrong headed to try to judge the practitioners if a modern religion based on a sketchy incomplete understanding of what its antecedents did 2000 years ago. There are a number of modern Gnostic and Gnostic inspired sects.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Seems kind of wrong headed to try to judge the practitioners if a modern religion based on a sketchy incomplete understanding of what its antecedents did 2000 years ago. There are a number of modern Gnostic and Gnostic inspired sects.

Thank you.

And the more that McDowell talks, the more he makes sense, but Marshal Appleswhite's cult should be no example to anybody.

Purple hitops? I'd wear the plastic bag before I wore purple anything.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I don't think it's accurate to say that we don't know anything about Gnostics, but the term "Gnostic" is about as defining as "Christian" or "Pagan". There's common through-lines, obviously, but individual sects/groups/denominations could have wildly varying ideologies.

You are right to say that there's little information on what can collectively be termed Christian Gnostics, but it's hard to say if those groups even were gnostic at all, as a lot of early Christian writers had very liberal interpretations of what Gnosticism actually entailed. We do, however, have a lot of information on many later Gnostic groups, such as the Manichaeans.

The challenge, as with any religion reconstructed from only archaelogy and what texts we have that remain extant, is that we can never be sure if our understanding of the way that religion interacted with their daily lives is accurate.

I know many Christians who don't believe that one can truly be Christian unless said person is actively engaged in a community of faith. However, that same person may fully accept as Christian, a monk who has retreated to a remote location to study scripture away from the influence of the modern world.

If Christianity had been suppressed fully in the 5th century, before the Council of Chalcedon gave official approval from the Church, what would archaeologists and anthropologists have made of someone like St. Anthony, if they were even aware of him and the movement he started at all?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
One of the part of overcoming is separating the medium from the message. This is especially difficult when the medium is your material body. It seems to me one can look to the last visitation and get an idea of what the requirements are for entry into The Evolutionary Level Above Human but actually getting 'beamed up' once you discarnate is at their discretion. But the most likely path for remedial students like myself is a number of lives before even being worthy of the 'drop everything and give yourself to a Representative' test.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

McDowell posted:

One of the part of overcoming is separating the medium from the message. This is especially difficult when the medium is your material body. It seems to me one can look to the last visitation and get an idea of what the requirements are for entry into The Evolutionary Level Above Human but actually getting 'beamed up' once you discarnate is at their discretion. But the most likely path for remedial students like myself is a number of lives before even being worthy of the 'drop everything and give yourself to a Representative test.
I went ahead and bolded the words and phrases that nobody understands and which make you seem insane.

The Kingfish has issued a correction as of 20:23 on Sep 7, 2016

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

The Kingfish posted:

McDowell posted:

One of the part of overcoming is separating the medium from the message. This is especially difficult when the medium is your material body. It seems to me one can look to the last visitation and get an idea of what the requirements are for entry into The Evolutionary Level Above Human but actually getting 'beamed up' once you discarnate is at their discretion. But the most likely path for remedial students like myself is a number of lives before even being worthy of the 'drop everything and give yourself to a Representative' test.

I went ahead and bolded the words and phrases that nobody understands and which make you seem insane.

hey I found some you missed

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
it's like Eripsa but with half-baked religious mumbo-jumbo instead of Network Theory

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
he's been like this for years. check out his posting in the middle east thread

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Middle East thread can give you an idea of the individual metamorphosis involved with overcoming. It was tricky but I drove some of the nastier discarnate beings away from this vehicle. When I'm not phone posting I can explain the phrases King Fisher bolded and provide statements of Jesus to substantiate the concepts.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Gnosticism is cool cause it displays the whole universe as a conspiracy theory. Also Demiurges make way more sense than a good loving creator. Also depending on the flavor you subscribe to you might even get into some sex magick

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So let's start with the visitation most people are familiar - the mission of Jesus Christ. His physical body was specially made for him using what we can think of as IVF. Over time the mind that we associate with the Trinity incarnated into him. His mission was to bring fully-developed minds back home to the Kingdom of Heaven, while also laying down ground work for the next 'harvest'. If you are trying to be a good Christian, or Jew, or Muslim, or Buddhist, or any number of other things - you are likely familiar already with the work of one or more visitors. The test is recognizing new Representatives and accepting updated information - such as seeing how The Evolutionary level Above Human is synonymous with the basic human belief in a Kingdom of (the) God(s) or a Kingdom of (The) Heaven(s). You even hear this in some popsci circles - that our perceived universe is a projection or hologram from a higher reality.

"For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken."

- John 12:49 - Jesus talking about being an instrument for the Next Level 'chain of command'

"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."

- Luke 22:42 - This is an example of conflict between the mind and the vehicle - the prospect of being crucified (or drinking phenobarbital because of a spectacular comet) - can be very hard to accept. The vehicle doesn't want to be destroyed, but getting used to discarnation is part of a mind's development.

After this, Jesus went out and saw a tax collector named Levi sitting at the tax booth. “Follow Me,” He told him, and Levi got up, left everything, and followed Him.…

- Luke 5:27 - in this example Levi was a vehicle for a mind that had been developing on Earth for while, passing the 'drop everything and give yourself to a Representative' test. I can't tell you how many incarnations he had before that point.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
take your meds McDowell

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Gnosticism is cool cause it displays the whole universe as a conspiracy theory. Also Demiurges make way more sense than a good loving creator. Also depending on the flavor you subscribe to you might even get into some sex magick

Gnosticism is a reasonable reaction to the inescapable conclusion that God is evil, but we're also talking about a people who developed these ideas before knowledge of germ theory and Newtonian physics. The Gnostics were incapable of being able to resist the cosmic manifestation of forces which made their lives miserable, so it was only natural for them to wish an escape from physicality altogether. Rejecting physical reality in favor of an idealized metaphysical state isn't a sensible way to deal with the immediate concern of "real world" suffering. It's ridiculous that modern people would reach the same conclusions after centuries of advancement in science and social studies.

It's cool and neat to learn about for sure, but I draw the line at taking any of it seriously. It's self indulgent fatalism. I don't see why I should respect a 21st Century Gnostic any more than someone who goes stupid from reading too much Schuon. It's esotericism employed to cover up boring ideas.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Kingdom of God isn't evil - this particular planet is. And it isn't really 'good' and 'evil' - one way to look at it is 'truth' and 'error' - and this existence is a 'debug environment'. It is better that we work out our sins here than doing some real damage to the fabric of creation. When Representatives are here it is kind of like Agent Smith - the smell can get really bad.

Another illustration is the idea of how humans 'culture' bacteria to resist antibiotics we expose them to. If sin is death, we are being 'selected' for the expression of certain memes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAOTxAGJUug

'The Springfield Files' Airdate January 1997

D'oh!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Not to mention this planet constantly obscures the view of Venus!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

McDowell posted:

The Kingdom of God isn't evil - this particular planet is. And it isn't really 'good' and 'evil' - one way to look at it is 'truth' and 'error' - and this existence is a 'debug environment'. It is better that we work out our sins here than doing some real damage to the fabric of creation. When Representatives are here it is kind of like Agent Smith - the smell can get really bad.

Another illustration is the idea of how humans 'culture' bacteria to resist antibiotics we expose them to. If sin is death, we are being 'selected' for the expression of certain memes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAOTxAGJUug

'The Springfield Files' Airdate January 1997

D'oh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmmQxXPOMMY

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

McDowell posted:

- Luke 22:42 - This is an example of conflict between the mind and the vehicle - the prospect of being crucified (or drinking phenobarbital because of a spectacular comet) - can be very hard to accept. The vehicle doesn't want to be destroyed, but getting used to discarnation is part of a mind's development.

Just an FYI: we can't tell if you're joking or not.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Kingfish posted:

Just an FYI: we can't tell if you're joking or not.

The website is still around and there is a youtube channel with all the videos - 'Beyond Human' lets you see how sincere Do and his students were. They weren't selling iodine drops - although they did lots of different diets and experiments in a sort of survivalist mindset. I see it more with astronomy, but it is certainly compatible with astrology.

If I ever met Alex Jones I would love to know what he thinks of 'The UFO Two'

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Gnosticism is a reasonable reaction to the inescapable conclusion that God is evil, but we're also talking about a people who developed these ideas before knowledge of germ theory and Newtonian physics. The Gnostics were incapable of being able to resist the cosmic manifestation of forces which made their lives miserable, so it was only natural for them to wish an escape from physicality altogether. Rejecting physical reality in favor of an idealized metaphysical state isn't a sensible way to deal with the immediate concern of "real world" suffering. It's ridiculous that modern people would reach the same conclusions after centuries of advancement in science and social studies.

It's cool and neat to learn about for sure, but I draw the line at taking any of it seriously. It's self indulgent fatalism. I don't see why I should respect a 21st Century Gnostic any more than someone who goes stupid from reading too much Schuon. It's esotericism employed to cover up boring ideas.

You got beef with Buddhists too?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Just the ones that take it seriously.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Just the ones that take it seriously.

you're a weird dude

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
There's a real Info War in this thread!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Robotnik Nudes posted:

if you meet the buddha walking down the road, kill him :colbert:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is there an alex jones emoticon?

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A sort of Posadism is quite common in pop culture. Star Trek and Adventure Time have a post apocalyptic setting. But if you get the idea that it is good to run out and start trouble, that thought isn't from the Next Level.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpkzptvDpDY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyN5tNYhfSg

Of course too much credit is given to Richard Dawkins here - Bill Hamilton and George Price are interesting figures.

• Locked thread