Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zas posted:

I think he's mostly copying the vic berger style but he's doing it really crisply, so, you know, well done

vic is in turn a part of the greater tim & eric continuum, we all stand on the shoulders of giants, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
he's just a high-school/college football player who's gone to seed. there's prolly muscle in there, but now he's got a thick coat of fat like a walking seal

ideal for surviving the coming globalist-created ice age, buy his protein powder

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azathoth posted:

Christ's mission is not about getting off this planet, it's about doing good while we're here and what comes after, and I say that as a sola fide Christian.

And how'd you reach that conclusion, you read Koine Greek or Aramaic?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azathoth posted:

Nope, I'm happy to outsource that to professionals, though I have read multiple translations of the Bible, examined the translators qualifications, at least as much as any layman can, and noted their denominational and theological biases. For the translations I've read, I have noted which primary documents they used in their to produce their translations to do my best to make sure they aren't cherry-picking documents or using sources that have been acknowledged to be less accurate than another available source.

That's why I prefer the NRSV translation now, though when I want to study a section deeper, I read it in a couple other translations, and if possible read annotations from the translators for those versions.

I also try to be mindful of the fact that the translators are working from documents that are many hundreds of years from the original writing, and that different versions contain irreconcilable differences that cannot be put down to simple scribal error. I also try to keep in mind the limits of objective translation and understand that translators must necessarily make interpretive judgment in some cases.

I don't have a functional knowledge of Koine Greek, Aramaic, or Hebrew, but I do my best to educate myself on potential translations for words with strong theological implications, such as any reference to Hell. I claim zero academic knowledge, but if it's reasonable for me to educate myself on it, I do my best.

why do you bother placing cosmic importance in iron age apocalyptic fiction then, when you already know what you claim as a holy book is the product of a self-interested game of telephone played out over the course of centuries and multiple language systems? a book you've never actually even read, for that matter?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squalid posted:

To those of you here who have watched hours of this right wing sci-fi/fantasy alt history is Alex Jones explicitly Christian? Or has he created a secular narrative that is simply infused with the fire and brimstone reflective of the cultural Christianity of his Texas childhood? I can't quite tell from the clips I've seen:

he's very very christian, though i couldn't tell you where he stands denominationally. he talks a lot about america's judeo-christian foundations, and in the last several years he's gotten more explicit about the satanic foundations of globalism. earlier in his career he considered the 'forces of evil' metaphorically, and denigrated the likes of david icke who go preach more decidedly mystical/spiritual conspiracy theories. but, like reality itself, he's begun to come around to icke's mode of thinking, and now talks about the malevolent powers behind the globalists in more wholehearted terms

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darkman Fanpage posted:

holy loving poo poo. jones is the best.

i can't sit a full show of his the way i used to but he has his moments

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squalid posted:

How many children would you guys guess have died as a direct result of disinformation spread by Alex Jones and Infowars?

I'd guess double digits easily

good

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i want to hear him go back on the Joe Rogen show after he loses his kids to family court

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pomp posted:

i'm permabanned poster Rex Jones, and i first started reading fyad when i was about 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

no poo poo did u see all that beef he was grillin? did u see anybody else at his house in that pic? do you imagine alex jones could share his bounty?

he just starts snarlin and growlin is someone else comes near the grilling tongs

• Locked thread