Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Eonwe posted:

Picked up multiple squirtles, a bulbasaur, 4 eevees, enough pidgeys to get a Pigeot, a Magmar, a few ekans, a few Pincir, and I took 3 gyms

give me your magmar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I took a walk for an hour and got a spearow, pidgey, two pidgeotto, two staryus, and a ton of drowzees and zubats. I'm happy with this.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

OK, now I'm just getting a "Server is experiencing issues, try back later" message. But tons of people are playing. Maybe it's just Arizona? :raise:

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

mistaya posted:

OK, now I'm just getting a "Server is experiencing issues, try back later" message. But tons of people are playing. Maybe it's just Arizona? :raise:

I'm getting that too. NYC. There are tons of poke spots around me.

Does the game really match Pokemon type to location? Or is it random?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hoo boy is this thing buggy, on top of server issues. The app freezing when you do random things like catching a Pokemon or trying to upgrade one of your Pokemon or something. My game froze and I restated it and while I was able to simply go back in after reopening it before, this time it booted me back to the sign in screen. Also despite doing the battery saver, this thing still drains the battery like crazy.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

HelloWinter posted:

If it's anything like regular pokemon games, the poked only shows up to the pokemon you saw/caught's highest number. In my case the poked only shows up to Jinx #124.

You know, I never actually knew the game worked that way. Cool! Thanks.

Saw a Pinsir nearby but couldn't find it anywhere.

mistaya posted:

It's down in NC too. Probably just the info of it being live propagating and it experiencing massive traffic.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lame Devil posted:

It does match type with location, at least to some extent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4PDm_TIqvs

Relevant part:

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
I got the app from the US Play store, while still in Japan.

There's nothing around. It looks like making different regions live also includes those points of interest.

It's not a big deal, but still a bit annoying that I could literally walk over to a real-world Pokémon Center and get nothing for it.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

Is it just me or is Chicago drowning in water pokemon? Got a horsea, seel, krabby, shellder, and a psyduck after starting with a squirtle. Also the requisite rattatas and a plump drowzee on my bed when I returned home. Still, did not find nearly as many pokemon as I would have thought on my walk (but tons of pokestops and eggs!). Not even level 5 yet, but there are 4 gyms close enough by to tempt me repeatedly on my walk. Tomorrow, I guess.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/6/12107138/pokemon-go-warning-australia-pokestop-location

Pokémon Go is out now in a handful of places worldwide, including Australia. Northern Territory locals in particular have already taken to the game — so much so that the area's police force is already discouraging Pokémon trainers from bringing the adventure inside their building.

A Facebook post from the Northern Territory Emergency Services warns Pokémon Go players that, while the Darwin Police Station functions as a special PokéStop location in the game, that doesn't mean they should start swarming the building.

"Please be advised that you don't actually have to step inside in order to gain the pokeballs [sic]," the post reads. "It's also a good idea to look up, away from your phone and both ways before crossing the street. That Sandshrew isn't going anywhere fast."

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

mistaya posted:

I am not usually a mobile anything player, and this ap refuses to connect to the server. It just gets to the man walking off a dock screen and times out infinitely. :(

I just wanted to set this up and go for a walk, damnit. :(

Oh good it's not just me! :unsmith:

Also for all the people saying there's nothing near them, I remember in Ingress you could suggest portal locations and they would add them in (eventually).

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lame Devil posted:

What team are you going? I'm going to come to your hood and poo poo all over your gyms.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Pakled posted:

It does match type with location, at least to some extent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4PDm_TIqvs

Relevant part:

So uh, no ghost types anywhere huh?

I took over a gym, I have no clue what the gently caress I'm doing in a battle. Seems to have no rhyme or reason to it. I get the whole light attack and special attack stuff but like, how much does CP count towards anything? My 330 golbat fought a 200 one nearly lost. Just mashing on the screen probably didn't help much.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
How do you make a team?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I took over a gym, I have no clue what the gently caress I'm doing in a battle. Seems to have no rhyme or reason to it. I get the whole light attack and special attack stuff but like, how much does CP count towards anything? My 330 golbat fought a 200 one nearly lost. Just mashing on the screen probably didn't help much.

That's from a limited sample. A friend of mine said he caught a bunch of Gastly, so ghost types are definitely in the game.

Macaluso posted:

How do you make a team?

You don't, there are three teams in the game that you choose which one you want to be a member of at level 5.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How is anyone even finding pokemon? I was so excited because it showed Eevee is near me first thing. And also 7 others, but that's not as important. I went 10 miles and can't find a single one. There's a ton of landmarks that aren't even registered to give anything. And that sucks because there's one spot where there's 5 landmarks within a few minutes walking distance of each other. One store near me has 2 landmarks attached to it. I'm so jealous of anyone that can actually use this thing.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Thanks for the map thing, looks like I need to drive 10-15 minutes to find anything. Better than nothing I suppose.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Think I'm at 38 gyms so far....I might have a problem...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rafza posted:

give me your magmar

366 CP when I caught him, only higher pokemon is my Pigeot at 406, which I put a few upgrades on

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

widespread posted:

What the hell do I sign in with. Is there a diff between Google and that trainer thingy.

Basically you either tie your account with your Google account or your Pokémon.com account. I don't know if tying it with the latter will net you any bonuses down the line but I have a feeling it's just whatever preference you have.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Finally registered- there are 5 pokestops and a Gym on my block alone. The dog is getting a good walk in the morning.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i went on a light hike along a foot trail shown in the game, nothing appeared except on the road when i came back. it was a ponyta which vanished before i got there and then a diglett that caused my game to crash

rip my pokemon hiking adventure

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

So I kept erroring out when trying to buy an item..just checked and I magically bought 8 of that item -_-

On a side note.. I'm sitting at my desk and using one incense i'm being littered with pokemon so it's definitely a good purchase

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

on the bright side, i met a cool guy walking his two labs that were excited to let me pet them :buddy:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
This game seems really poo poo if you dont live in the city

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

This game looks great on my Nexus 6 running Android N!!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I have to go outside to get stuff done. :smith:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

im sure we'll get a guide on how to maximize pokemans and items without leaving home soon

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

SynthOrange posted:

Same. Thought I could use the AR camera thing to see if I can find some mons in my room.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Maybe if enough people spam their social media accounts, they'll patch in Intel support :sigh:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Is it possible to have sex with Professor Willow in this virtual reality game?

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Does weight and size affect CP cap? Should I wait to spend orbs on a big Pokemon?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Strictly anecdotal, but I've mostly seen ghost types at night. Same with the bats.

CuwiKhons posted:

drat. Do you know roughly how far away the distance is? Like, if it's 3 footsteps is that within a block versus 2 footsteps being within half a block or something?

I'm going to pull some numbers out of my rear end here. Don't take them as gospel.

In the beta, pokemon started appearing on your tracker at around 200m. So I'd say anything with 3 footsteps could be as far as 200m away. Pokemon don't seem to appear on your map until you're within catching range, which, in the beta, was about 20-ish meters. So let's call 0 tracks as 20m. Then let's arbitrarily assign some intermediate values.

0 tracks - ~20m
1 track - ~50m
2 tracks - ~100m
3 tracks - ~200m

Lame Devil posted:

Does weight and size affect CP cap? Should I wait to spend orbs on a big Pokemon?

Afaik, weight and size are strictly cosmetic. Spend your orbs on your highest CP pokemon, because they'll be closer to the cap and thus will take less effort to get to the cap.

I mean, move set is also a consideration. Type and power and such.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 7, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Anyone else have problems with getting AR to work? It says it can not read my orientation but every other app does it just fine and the general gps stuff does work.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Okay, so, more CP = more better, right?

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

PBS Newshour posted:

Anyone else have problems with getting AR to work? It says it can not read my orientation but every other app does it just fine and the general gps stuff does work.

same here :(

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

One of the Ingress/Pokestops near me is a mural of a tree inside a pastry shop. I wonder how much business they get from it.
I'm not sure I want to go out at 10:30, but from the map the nearest gym seems to be inside a mall, or in it's parking lot.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, no Ingress portals on the farm, but there are quite a few in the nearby town, so I guess I can bike there sometime or something maybe. Also surprisingly there are some Ingress players out here, despite this being the middle of nowhere; there was even someone claiming a thing in another, slightly-less-nearby town while I checked things, so that's neat. Will probably be a few Pokemon Go players out here too, then.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Chibs posted:

same here :(

Like the appeal of this to me is seeing stupid silly looking pokemon in real life so its pretty disappointing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Okay, so, more CP = more better, right?

Yeah, basically. I have no idea how the actual behind the scenes math works, but apparently there are hidden speed and strength stats. Basically CP works like a multiplier. Simple example: cp50 rat vs cp 100 rat vs cp 100 clefairy

CP 50 rat:
50 * .5 = 25 HP
50 * 1.0 = 50 speed
50 * .2 = 10 strength

CP 100 rat:
100 * .5 = 50 HP
100 * 1.0 = 100 speed
100 * .2 = 20 strength

CP 100 clefairy:
100 * 1.0 = 100 HP
100 * .1 = 10 speed
100 * .3 = 30 strength