Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Weird boobs must be a Dunham family tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Nearly anyone with a famous connection can be a runway model at least once. Beginning designers or designers in need of free publicity do it to get a picture of their show in the press.

She's clearly not sample size, so special measures would need to be taken to prepare for her, measures that most designers wouldn't cater to unless it meant free publicity.

It's like when that guy got flak years ago for claiming Heidi Klum was too fat to be a runway model. He wasn't calling her fat, per se, just too fat for the runway. Designers don't have the time or budget to make a special outfit in anything but sample size just in case one of their models has a big waist, unless it's someone special who will get them attention.

The big names pull Cindy Crawford out of retirement, the little guys get Lena Dunham's doughy sister.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Grand Prize Winner posted:

haute_couture.txt

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

gary oldmans diary posted:

is there a shortage of attractive models?

Attractive models are for print work (ads and billboards and spreads in Vogue). The girls on the runway aren't supposed to distract from the clothing; they're walking clothes hangers.

In the supermodel heyday of the late 80's you saw the gorgeous girls stomping the runway, but that's not done much anymore, and only ever by the really big name designers.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
He's also the one who made headlines for having his menswear show nothing but ugly tunics with cutouts for the dongs to dangle out through.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Nvm.

criscodisco fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 7, 2016

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Man this thread really bummed me out. When is the bubble gonna burst on this bullshit, we're just getting trolled at this point, how are these designers getting their poo poo bought?

This has been explained in every thread where the conversation turns to runway shows, but here goes:

There are 2 types of runway show. haute couture (high fashion) and pret-a-porter (ready to wear).

Ready to wear shows are just what they sound like: poo poo that actually gets sold and will do in stores.

Haute couture shows are intended as walking art pieces, inspirations from what is influencing the ready to wear line that season. It's never intended to be sold, although occasionally a celeb will want to wear some crazy number to an event and it will be resized and loaned out. But you'll never see it in stores. That's the show that usually make the news.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Oh no, I get what Haute Couture is, I just don't know how that inspires anyone. It's the same poo poo that gets brought up about abstract art, but at least with that, you don't have the uncanny valley feeling due there being a person under all that poo poo.

I don't know. Some of us just really like it? :milkie:

Also, it costs them money to put on the shows and nothing is for sale so who's it hurting?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Jastiger posted:

Kinda upset not more photos of Lena Dunham though.

Sorry my tablet is only 7 inches.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Dang, ugly sweaters must cause moles.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Nice cataract, rapist.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Maoist Pussy posted:

How did they get all the rocks out?

They had her pinch off a sneeze and it came out like buckshot.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Honestly her sister should be grateful Lena found those rocks. Lord knows how long they would have been in there is she hasn't. Some dude would have found a cluster of pearls one night after prom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I don't think she particularly attractive, but I say more power to Jastiger. I like guys with paunchy bellies, who am I to judge?

• Locked thread