Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I would highly recommend not getting creek water into your mouth while swimming. Other than nuclear green runs your farts will smell like rotting corpses and rotten eggs. May god have mercy on the soul of the next person who walks into my office unannounced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

I hike up in the mountains all the drat time and my docs like YO DOG yOU GOT THAT GLACIER GUT?

Nah. I bring my water in.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Liters at a time.

Brought 5 out with my on a "short" 9 mile stint up mountains or some poo poo. Dragged my fam up with me, most of the water went to the silly Midwesterners.

Don't drink from streams ya dummy.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
One time I was taking so much Nyquil my poop to come out an ashen grey & smelled like epoxy. I think my liver briefly failed.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BaconCopter posted:

Liters at a time.

Brought 5 out with my on a "short" 9 mile stint up mountains or some poo poo. Dragged my fam up with me, most of the water went to the silly Midwesterners.

Don't drink from streams ya dummy.

Bro don't you ever see that beautiful clear creek in the forest and just hop right in to cool off and maybe dive for some river rocks or to look at the fish and then maybe take in a few mouthfuls of water?

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Android Bicyclist posted:

One time I was taking so much Nyquil my poop to come out an ashen grey & smelled like epoxy. I think my liver briefly failed.

was it steaming?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It was fairly warm. At least body temperature.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Bro don't you ever see that beautiful clear creek in the forest and just hop right in to cool off and maybe dive for some river rocks or to look at the fish and then maybe take in a few mouthfuls of water?

K. Good point. That blows.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

BaconCopter posted:

I hike up in the mountains all the drat time and my docs like YO DOG yOU GOT THAT GLACIER GUT?

Nah. I bring my water in.

This fairy little bitch goes to regular doctor appointments. Lol.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

I would highly recommend not getting creek water into your mouth while swimming. Other than nuclear green runs your farts will smell like rotting corpses and rotten eggs. May god have mercy on the soul of the next person who walks into my office unannounced.

sounds awesome

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

sounds awesome

I just now let out another fart that would kill any man of weak constitution.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't giardia that hot TV chef?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ChrisHansen posted:

Isn't giardia that hot TV chef?

No that's Nigella.

You are thinking of the Yankees player

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I think he meant Giada, i.e. "The one that's all teeth & tits."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABxe66ti2KI

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Android Bicyclist posted:

I think he meant Giada, i.e. "The one that's all teeth & tits."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABxe66ti2KI

See above

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm old & slow and don't know how to preview posts.

Also my liver may have failed again as I had to take Nyquil again & my poops are a foul miasma.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Holy poo poo I got that once when fly fishing a stream near a beaver dam. Not thinking I put the leader in my mouth to tie on a new fly. 24,hrs later I was making GBS threads blood and at the ER wondering what the hell happened. 0/10 would not recommend.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tfw you realize you haven't peed in a few days because all the water is coming out your butt

ITT we have giardia and/or food poisoning?

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

King of Bees posted:

Holy poo poo I got that once when fly fishing a stream near a beaver dam. Not thinking I put the leader in my mouth to tie on a new fly. 24,hrs later I was making GBS threads blood and at the ER wondering what the hell happened. 0/10 would not recommend.

They don't call it beaver fever for nothing. Take heed around dams!

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Once I broke my digestive system by eating 3 plates of meat followed by 3 plates of desserts at an all you can eat buffet and for 3 days I was emitting the most foul-smelling , room-clearing sulphuric burps. The smell and taste of them coming up made me want to puke. It was disgusting.

p.s. not fat

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
why you swimmin' in beaver water, op

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
How does it feel to sit in a prison of your own design

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

chippy posted:

Once I broke my digestive system by eating 3 plates of meat followed by 3 plates of desserts at an all you can eat buffet and for 3 days I was emitting the most foul-smelling , room-clearing sulphuric burps. The smell and taste of them coming up made me want to puke. It was disgusting.

p.s. not fat

I once had apparently weird fish on a flight and for days afterward got sulphur burps that made me want to die

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Go to your doctor, get yourself some metronidazole OP

or you know, create the world's worst Dutch oven

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Un chien andalou posted:

They don't call it beaver fever for nothing. Take heed around dams!

I usually have a different kind of "beaver fever" if you get my drift.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I farted on the couch the other day and it smelled terrible. I kept working on my engineer work for another 30 mintues or so before I got up to go take a piss and my rear end felt like it was covered in astro glide.

So it turns out I poo poo my pants and didn't even know it for half an hour.

Getting old sucks dick.

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

King of Bees posted:

Shiiiit, I do this all the time. :( Some day I am going to die? Also i dropped my snus in the river two days ago and just put it back in my mouth soaking wet without thinking and ive had mild diarrhea but i thought it was from eating at carrabba's

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
how is it that we survived for thousands of years just drinking up dank as poo poo river water from wherever but now we can't barely look at it without making GBS threads out our guts

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

ElectricSheep posted:

Go to your doctor, get yourself some metronidazole OP

or you know, create the world's worst Dutch oven

Also, don't drink alcohol on metronidazole. It says that on the bottle.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

jeff smisek posted:

Shiiiit, I do this all the time. :( Some day I am going to die? Also i dropped my snus in the river two days ago and just put it back in my mouth soaking wet without thinking and ive had mild diarrhea but i thought it was from eating at carrabba's

If there's no beavers around you should be fine. Only happened to me once out of a zillion times and that was directly down stream from an active dam.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

how is it that we survived for thousands of years just drinking up dank as poo poo river water from wherever but now we can't barely look at it without making GBS threads out our guts

We might have survived as a race but lots of people probably died from it.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

i had giardia in africa. it is pretty cool. your diarrhea comes out so fast and gassy it gets a head on it. toilet bowl looked like a big glass of guiness

the pre gas bloating is the painful part.

i remember having it ( i had it pretty much for two years straight) at a taxi station. i tried staying off in one corner. but after a few minutes it was so bad i was asked to move farther away

c'est pas bon monseiur.

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
i drink creek water all the time and im fine. sounds like you have a sandy vagina, OP

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

now we're cooking with gas!!!

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

It's more an issue of shifting perceptions. People always got sick but back in the old days, when 10% of your village died from rancid water, that was considered OK and normal. You just invented some new religious stuff to explain it and ate some sort of plant concoction to ward off the evil spirits and called it good. Nowadays we're all pussies, though, and anything over 0% is unacceptable.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
i would be willing to bet that it was common knowledge back then to not drink still or slow moving water

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

sounds awesome

yeah, not seeing a downside to weaponized farts

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

i would be willing to bet that it was common knowledge back then to not drink still or slow moving water

It was. Though they may not have known a lot of the underlying causes, premodern and early modern peoples, be they somewhere in Europe or anywhere else, knew that stuff like basic hygiene, some level of sanitation, and clean water were pretty useful.

Also, I've gone swimming in lakes and freshwater a lot and have never gotten sick from it. sorry about your bad luck op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Lots of creeks and rivers were actually perfectly drinkable before the white man killed all the savages and started making GBS threads it all up

• Locked thread