Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Orlanth is the light.

Also there are as many religions as there are religious people. Lots of people saying they follow religion X or religion Y, when they actually mean "my wildly loose conception of what religion X means, brought about and maintained by the society that surrounds me".

So really, religion is just some sort of societal peer pressure mechanism that we've managed to superficially organize to some degree, and some people have managed to exploit with extreme success and at the expense of participants.

I personally think religion as a personal decision is just an intellectual crutch and people should embrace rationality, but I also think it's very disingenuous of people like Dawkins to make religion the source of all evils. That's just stupid. The true problem is with society, religion is just a symptom of other, deeper things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Boogaleeboo posted:

You paid money and dedicated some of the limited time in your life to posting here, what makes you think you have a worldview shaped by rationality?

Whoa there friend you seem to be making a mistake, never in my post did I mention myself as an example or anything of the sort.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Who What Now posted:

And how do you prove this is the worst possible world scientifically?

You're posting in it.

Just kidding, but seriously now, everyone's acting like dicks, over-simplifying society. We're a very complex species with extremely complex interactions. You really can't boil it all down into a post.
For all our complaining however, look at how we lived in the past and how we live now - life as a human is pretty drat sweet. Sure, there's a lot of bad bad awful stuff, but we'll get there, baby steps. And "baby steps" doesn't mean "destroy all religion" by the way, deep down what you want to solve is the communication problem that we humans have, which is as old as our species. It is a problem of selfishness and otherizing. It's a problem of barriers between individuals.

Rakosi posted:

Try describe to me a world which is worse than this.

Oh come on now, you're being silly.

• Locked thread