Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Hard to contribute because there actually seems to be some good discussion here, without either side getting dog-piled to much, especially now that we got past the page 1-2 hurdle.

Personally, I've always been a fan of Dawkins and Harris, but I can agree lately they haven't been producing anything that is of the quality that originally attracted me. I went to college for Genetic Engineering over a decade ago, and while I never pursued it for a career it is always been an interest, which has stemmed from learning about evolution as a child. All this along with my Atheism can likely be traced to a childhood fascination with dinosaurs, and some pretty negative experiences at Sunday School to simplify things a little.

Harris's The Moral Landscape is still one of my favorite books, and the best argument I've heard for defending a moral system without need to fall back on religion or divine authority. I can agree his focus on Islam is annoying at this point, and while I feel the level of vehemence directed his way by many people on this forum is overdone, and I can't say it is entirely unwarranted. This being said I don't think he has really done anything that means he should just be disregarded entirely and thrown on a poo poo list. I would say the same for Dawkins as well, his "Dawkin's reads hatemail" video on youtube still cracks me up. Both these men have very intelligent things to say on numerous subjects.

Did we ever get around to defining "New Atheism"? Because earlier we had WhoWhatNow making some pretty blanket statements about them, and up until this point I had considered myself in that category, and here we got people claiming they mostly MRA/Anti-Muslim shitheads, and I'm at a loss when this transition happened...

I am unsure how much potential is left in a New Atheism movement of sorts. I'd say it did quite a bit to highlight just how large the number of people who be can considered "non-religious" has become, but as a movement of its own I feel it is yet another unneeded division in the overall Progressive Movement that benefits greatly from large numbers of leftist people of religion. If one feels that religion has an overall negative impact on the world, then they should be happy because my understanding is that there has been an overall drop in almost all religious categories for over a decade, excluding those that would be considered more fundamentalist. Isn't this a sign of gradual "victory"? The overall religiosity drops while the remnants continue to grow more fanatical and therefor alienate themselves from their liberal/moderate counterparts, resulting in large numbers of people moving away from such things in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I think part of the reason people assume many of those "critical of Islam" are racists is that, when they criticize Islam, there's an implication of "and we should do something about it" (because otherwise there's no point to so persistently attempting to force a discussion about it). But there isn't really anything that you can "do about it" that isn't horrifically hosed up and racist in practice.

Would trying to include Muslims, especially recent immigrants into the larger society, instead of making them feel like mistrusted outsiders who then stick exclusively to their own count as something not hosed up that we could do? Is there something that can be done like this on a level above the personal? It seems immigrant exclusion in general and communities not having dedicated outreach methods with intent to help integrate could be to blame for a lot of issues in the U.S.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

computer parts posted:

New Atheism started as a "no gently caress you dad" movement by white libertarians but has devolved into generic anti-Islam screeds.

You can do better than this. I can't really think of any Libertarians that aren't just Conservatives who don't focus heavily on religion, but do little to speak out against any of the problems it causes. Most people I've met that identify as Atheist are very Progressive.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

New must be a relative concept to you...might as well just call them all Communists too.

https://www.samharris.org/blog/item/how-to-lose-readers-without-even-trying/

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

Probably the easiest way is to advocate for nuking people for not believing what you do under the pretense of a pre emptive strike. Sam Harris has always been a blood thirsty psychopath to me.

Not even related to the conversation, and hardly the point behind his argument. Taking the mere hypothetical of what you do when MAD isn't a deterrent to nuclear war and pushing it into the idea that he wants to commit to genocide against the entire Middle East is pretty disingenuous and not the first time I've seen it parroted here.

That being said, this article is about Ojectivists, which is merely a counterpoint to Computer Parts weak attempt to imply that New Atheists are all Libertarians. Still, we haven't gotten down to what counts as New Atheist, and I am willing to bet a good number of the people on here regardless of "side" categorize themselves as non-religious to some degree, so it really just seem to be a catch all title for "people I don't like/agree with" but since we have already so many people toss out varying l titles, but I'd say what clearly people mean by New Atheist is "Conservative Atheist" and then cherry pick people who are clearly ostensible liberal so they fit that viewpoint.

Then again maybe it is I who lacks perspective here. I haven't been going to all the Atheist rallies or trawling through Reddit Threads so maybe I've just missed New Atheism's beating black heart? But getting back to the OPs original topic. I'd say there is viability in the ideas pedaled by the New Atheists, but again I don't really like the idea of a sub-movement within the larger Progressive sphere that needlessly alienates. I'd say most of the arguments against religion stand on their own, and fundamentalists do a great job of scaring people off themselves that we don't need an equally loud and fervent team at the other end of the spectrum cheerleading.

Is anyone familiar with AronRa? As far as youtube Atheists go he is the only one who I have taken the time to follow in all these years. The Foundational Falsehoods series is still amongst my favorite.

computer parts posted:

So you admit atheism historically has significant influence from Libertarians.

Now what you need to prove is that New Atheism is divorced from those influences. And no, saying "all my atheist friends say they're progressive" doesn't count.

Sorry the burden of proof is on you, and merely posting a picture of Ayn Rand does not an argument make.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

One it shows his rather simplistic understanding of Muslims, and the fact he thinks he would need to do that to deter Muslims is quite frightening. Maybe it is indeed you profile all people of a religion, who think its fine who lacks perspective and maybe you need to learn some basic human compassion and not rush to prophets of "reason who think its reasonable to align with fascists, and advocates preventing a people from being able to build centers of worship. Also taking someone at their word is not creating a man of straw.

Once again I don't know where you guys get some of this. I see you making ties or taking extra steps to where none exist. You're talking about a man that commonly uses extreme situations to establish frameworks for moral discussions. What you see as advocacy of torture is truly just a challenge to the notion that torture is inherently immoral on its own terms. As a person open to reason and knowledgeable on the subject he is surely aware that as an effective means of gaining information it isn't reliable and often provide false info, but one can easily posit a situation where it could be a moral act. Hell, the entire premise of the Moral Landscape begins to the absurd extremes of infinite human happiness and a universe of ultimate suffering. Going back to torture you can easily construct a scenario where a terrorist has hidden a nuke in a major city, and the only way to get him to reveal the information is something extreme like torture or even the threat of harm against his family. When weighed against the lives of millions this seems like an easy moral choice to make. You could take it one step further and say we have a special machine that will literally extract the information from your unwilling captives brain but the process will cause pain on such a level that he will simply die from it. I've read the articles you people describe and no where do I see a man simply calling for the torture and deaths of millions through simple blind hate and ignorance.

Anyway, I'm done on my Sam Harris defense or any other New Atheist thinker. I don't think that is what the OP intended, so I will leave it there, rebut as you desire, but lets end it here.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

My understanding is whatever passed for a New Atheism movement kind of petered out. I've only really got this from an atheist youtuber I used to like that went off the deep end claiming Feminism had killed the movement gloating over the very poor turnout of the reason rally. It is hard to envision a resurgence with the current crop of thinkers and individuals who might of been considered known names. If there should be a focus for any kind of new effort I think it should aim primarily at combating anti-science movements in the U.S.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

You know one dose not need atheism to be against anti gazers and yec types.

No doubt which is why I feel an exclusive movement is not needed but if people want to get one going then I think focusing on the traditional instigators behind the last one would be the goal.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I asked the same thing and I'm really curious whether he backpedals or doubles down.

Rakosi posted:

Nope, but on that same token would you not warn a female friend or family member that it's unsafe to go by certain places when its dark? Your comparison is dumb and is normal DnD chaff. One person says something, very clearly, with a particular narrow area of applicability and then posters start trying to generalize it over other stuff in order to try shut it down.

Yeah, frankly WhoWhatNow you know better and I think you're being obtuse on purpose, do you even want to contribute? It has been shown pretty clearly that a lot of you are using quotes not within the context of their arguments and are arguing in bad faith.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Who What Now posted:

In what context is it ok to victim blame?

In what context is it wrong to point out cause and effect? It isn't the same as saying someone deserved what they got and you loving know it.

Seriously, contribute or go poo poo up a different thread. You continue peddling this line that has been addressed pretty thoroughly and had the brassballs to accuse someone else of being pedantic earlier, it's like you are reading what is being typed but are programmed to interpret as something else like you know what you want to answer to be but can't accept it is something else.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

my dad posted:

Do you guys even know what the fancy words you keep using mean? :(

I kinda feel bad for atheists in academia, like my brother, for ending up having to make an effort to distance themselves from cargo cultists of science like you, just because you happen to use the same word to describe an aspect of yourselves despite having almost no similarities otherwise.

What the actual gently caress. Maybe highlight sum der fancy wurds purdner? Da resta us would sure liken to know da meanin!

Anyway, the main sticking point of disagreement I've consistently seen come up in these threads and with opponents of Hitchens and his cohorts has been over the claim that religious belief has a hand in molding behavior. If anything I think we can agree this is a central tenet of what we would term New Atheism that would help set it apart from other non believers.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

WampaLord posted:

It was a monstrous thing to say. To claim that the Jews were in any way responsible for their own slaughter (even if he's couching it in terms of "they isolated themselves" which is also bullshit) makes him not worth listening to in any way in my opinion. Of course, I am biased, being Jewish.

An interesting side discussion would be how Christianity, essentially a cult off shoot of Judaism, was able to not only assimilate but become the dominant religion, while Judaism remained a tiny minority throughout Europe and the Middle East. My understanding had always been that the Jews had always been particularly rebellious compared to other Roman territories, but I'm hardly a scholar this point.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Rakosi posted:

That is a terrible synopsis. He actually does have a better wording, elsewhere, of the crux of his argument, though:

Morality is not reserved, as a domain of discourse, to religion. Imagine the worst possible world, where every person suffers the most that they can, for the longest that they can. And then imagine the opposite, where everyone enjoys the most amount of peace and joy for the longest that they can. Between these two idealized poles of human flourishing, there are scientifically verifiable decisions that humans can make, as a society, to move the peg in one direction or the other. Thus morality is scientific (IE, measured), not religious.

Woozy posted:

You're doing the same thing he is, which is utterly failing to understand the actual enormity of the is-ought gap. The question isn't merely difficult, its non-sensical. Your best and worst possible worlds are populated by value judgments about this one. It's not enough even for a genuinely universal moral claim (vague bullshit about S U F F E R I N G which reminder some people don't actually think morality is reducible to whatever best enables orgiastic hedonism), the claim has to be empirically verifiable, as in literal evil particles vanishing at the righteousness of scientific truth. Harris doesn't even bother attempting this, of course, because surprise! The audience of a TED talk doesn't actually ever disagree about anything so all you have to do is say the words "female circumcision" and bloop they're all moral realists.

I honestly don't get how the first quote is so contentious and how it leads to such an utter pile of drivel that is the second quote. Might as well just quit my job at the Division of Public health, who am I to say clean drinking water leads to greater human happiness, I'm just pulling it out my rear end!

Edit: awesome I got a red title! You guys shouldn't have!

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Woozy posted:

You should absolutely quit your job as a philosopher because "greater human happiness" is no more an objective or empirical moral goal than "everything should suffer and bleed all the time".

This statement is utter nonsense and clearly demonstrates you have no clue what is being said. Are you saying there are no clearly right or wrong ideas when comes to the well being of humans? Because if that is the case this conversation is done, because you're insane. I'd simply ask how you make value judgements day to day when comes to determining right and wrong, but I assume the answer is you flip a coin like loving two face.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Woozy posted:

Oh please lol. He goes to some lengths to mention it while never once showing any indication that he understands why its a problem. Is the argument here really "it's unfair to hold us to a high standard of proof for outrageous claims?" Look its one thing to think you'll just get away with reducing the entire normative world to questions about ~suffering~, but your very next move can only be to fart and shrug at questions of how to populate the world of the suffering without the benefit of subjectivity. I mean presumably it just doesn't strike you as controversial when Harris breaks out the highlight reel of Muslim crimes against humanity to constitute the meaning of suffering because you agree with him. What options are available to those who don't already think like he does? This is the sort of dispute anything called science would ordinarily have some power to arbitrate.

It is like you think the Social Sciences are worthless. Well guys there is no way to tell if the current policing system is any better than others, let's just keep what we got, all those dead bodies are meaningless.

Who What Now posted:

So? Scientifically prove those matter.

The science is the methods of preventing their failure. Harris even allows from the very beginning that the one assumption you must start with is that the well-being on conscious creatures is considered a moral good, which makes sense since that is what we are. Questions of right and wrong make little sense if there are not conscious beings to suffer or not. The fact that you missed this part tells you haven't even done the basics of listening to the very arguments you criticize and misrepresent.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 9, 2016

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Woozy posted:

There is a way to evaluate the effectiveness of a given policing system and its called subjectivity you thick gently caress. You're acting like capital-T Truth is the only arbiter of right and wrong which is completely backwards. Scientific truth has absolutely nothing to say about the question, because the universe doesn't given one tiny gently caress about your "dead bodies" or whatever. The first thing to do when we're talking about right and wrong is to decide what we want for ourselves and to admit that this is a value judgment.

Since when did I mention Truth? At what point did I imply we will always find the best answer? Or that there is a single best one? Why are making references to what the universe thinks, this entire discussion has purely been within the context of conscious beings and their experience within this world. I feel you simply lack the perspective to realize that science is more than just data collected in a lab. Everything is science on some level physics > chemistry > biology > human anatomy > neurology > human behavior/psychology > cultural anthropology . Of course I've left out a ton of steps and branching paths, but basically everything is a product of the properties and laws of the physical universe and the study of anything within it would fall under the perview of science. Just because arriving at answers becomes more difficult and less precise doesn't change this, no one here has ever implied that we would expect perfection or absolute Truth as you seem to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

the best way to talk about general trends: start with an incredibly specific example from an incredibly small sample group

god there's osmething funny about you having a martyr complex

I don't think he has a martyr complex, but I'll give him credit for having the patient of a Saint putting up with the nonsense you guys have been peddling.

Anyway, going back to the original post:

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

1) Are any of our religions true? While this can most certainly be a fruitful area of discourse, for our purposes I think we will just assume the answer is "no" and move on. Feel free to address this if you think there is something of vital importance to be said, however.

2) Are our religions doing harm, or more precisely, doing more harm than good? This, I feel, will comprise the lion's share of our discussion in this thread, though perhaps not enough to eclipse the other questions entirely. I think it is beyond debate that our religions do both harm and good in various situations, and determining which side has the higher score can be incredibly difficult, especially given that there are other factors, like poverty or political instability, which may or may not play a role in the obvious examples of seemingly religiously inspired violence. It is also hard to determine how heavily the religious precepts themselves weigh in on these sorts of occurrences, and claims run the gamut from "they are the only factor" to "they aren't a factor at all". Further compounding the problem is how varied our religions are in their prescriptions. "Religion" is a word like "drug": are we talking about Tylenol or crack cocaine here? If the side arguing that religion is vitiating our society is thinking "radical Islam" and the side arguing for religion's benignity is thinking "Episcopalian", we will inevitably talk past each other. Let's strive to be specific here.

3) If the answer to question 2 is yes, religion is, on balance, doing more harm than good, then what is our best strategy in opposing it? Here, I feel, is where the dispute over tone comes into play: even those who agree with a Dawkins or a Hitchens than religion is poisonous will object to how rude or crass they can be when espousing their views. They will say: we need to be nicer to win them over. But do we? Was Martin Luther King or Malcom X more effective in their approaches to end racism? And tone aside, how active do atheists need to be? Do we take an uncompromising approach, or do we make common cause with religious moderates to oppose extremism before dealing with "religion" more broadly? If extremism is eradicated, will there even be any need to oppose the softer flavors of religion? Or is none of that necessary; can we just sit back and wait for a sea change to happen without our input? What does the victory condition look like?

There was a further part about Sam Harris bemoaning his views about being misrepresented, which has already been acted out by Gaining Weight as Harris and a few others as his detractors with essentially the same results.

It seems no one really feels strongly enough to support the truth claims of any particular religion here, which isn't to surprising since this is SA. As to the second it seems there really isn't going to be anything beyond this. Despite things getting drug out of 18 pages. While I personally feel the answer is "yes" I've long ago felt the discussion is pointless beyond that. Religion or spirituality is pretty obviously part of the human condition, and positing the question that history would be filled with less suffering had religion not been there is silly because that was an unavoidable step to arrive at the current. Furthermore humans are far from rational actors who will likely believe in many different absurdities in the absence of a religious framework.

With that in mind combating religion as a whole is pointless, and any effort should be saved for discrediting harmful and clearly counter factual beliefs like Women's Rights or YEC. I'd say New Atheism has contributed good arguments to use in support of these issues, but as pointed out earlier fighting the good fight on these issues doesn't require a specifically Atheist movement nor should it, and considering the amount of contention and misrepresentation on display here between what I assume are largely Atheists with a smattering of left leaning believers, it is really a fools errand.

• Locked thread