Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Reznor posted:

So what? America is the greatest nation? Or things haven't steadily been getting more crazy over time? In all seriousness what is your objection here?

If you have a decent job america literally is the nicest place to live on earth to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

SurfaceDetail posted:

If you have a decent job america literally is the nicest place to live on earth to be honest.

What are you basing that on? Have you lived everywhere in the world?

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Jeza posted:

Yes. COL and SOL if you are feeling graphy.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Jeza posted:

Yes.

Also, what the OP and some others wrote is sophomoric bullshit. You don't change countries on a whim. It's a hugely stressful and risky process that may end up being a complete waste of time. I just want to bring up some considerations that hardly ever get mentioned or given the attention they deserve:

The first consideration is which countries a person can emigrate to, and under what conditions. Many whiny first worlders just talk about how they're just going to "move to X" under some circumstances when X isn't going to have them. This consideration alone usually eliminates 90%-100% of all choices.

The second consideration is that particularly Americans who have never left the US (sorry, visiting Canada doesn't count) seem to think that all other countries are "America plus", i.e. that they have all the good elements of the US and are just the promised land where the fully formed, enlightened beings live and every last conversation is a revelation of the most exquisite in wisdom. In reality, it's a tradeoff. In many places you'll have to learn a difficult language, the country will be poorer, more boring, you will be seen as "that foreigner" and so on. Most importantly for the OP, the locals will have some obnoxious habits and opinions of their own. Also newsflash: You'll still be very much affected by what happens in the US.

Lastly, before people rage-quit their country, they should familiarize themselves with the other place for a while, but make it at least a few months in a non-glamorous situation. Spending five days sightseeing doesn't count.

Anyway, I kinda hope the OP will just ignore all this and run off somewhere while keeping us updated, it's more entertaining!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

flavor posted:

Anyway, I kinda hope the OP will just ignore all this and run off somewhere while keeping us updated, it's more entertaining!

the OP abandoned this thread like a month ago, and 90% of the posts in here is just people stopping by to show off how they aren't as much of a dumbass as the OP.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
imo youre purifyuing swden (spelling)

ok, theres always a little a differences wrt opinons

but if your already graduyated, then imo theres not a much of difference

especially if youre tied the knot with a wiking

if youre moviong to sweden i promise that i'll come and spoil at least oner of your parties,

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
and that offer stands for all of you scands and finns

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
i'll spoil anywons aprty
'

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

go home Hogge Wild, you're drunk

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

i'll spoil anywons aprty
'

:3:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Earwicker posted:

the OP abandoned this thread like a month ago, and 90% of the posts in here is just people stopping by to show off how they aren't as much of a dumbass as the OP.

Very true, but there's the occasional "Waaaaaaah I don't like this country anymore wanna live in utopia" OP-inspired post too, and I find those and the whole subject extremely entertaining.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.

NihilismNow posted:

And go where? Can you point me to a country where things are not either terrible or in decline for "normal" people (if you are rich lots of places are great to live)?

I dunno, lots of places routinely score better in quality of life studies than us. One of those.

SurfaceDetail posted:

Define decent? Upper middle class+? I would be curious to hear your argument for your case though, that is quite the bold claim.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Reznor posted:

I dunno, lots of places routinely score better in quality of life studies than us. One of those.

Define decent? Upper middle class+? I would be curious to hear your argument for your case though, that is quite the bold claim.

Goon regurgitates reactionary hyperbole, never before seen event caught on post!

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.

Waci posted:

Goon regurgitates reactionary hyperbole, never before seen event caught on post!

There is an interesting conversation to be had here. Don't make this weird.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SurfaceDetail posted:

Agreed,

But for some (meaning me) I found that even though I've had "decent" jobs in the past in the US, I lacked time.

Like most folks: commute, work, commute, and then I have a couple (or 3 hours to do what I like).

Getting 10 days of for vacation per year (the "2 weeks vacation") did not allow me enough time to travel and explore.

I've been living overseas for 16 years and am very happy.

I will likely return to the US. It may be psychologically challenging at first.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

go home Hogge Wild, you're drunk

welcome to nordic countries

Mr_Angry
May 15, 2003
A severe disappointment
College Slice

Hogge Wild posted:

welcome to nordic countries

Not if you're Norway. I lived in Denmark for five years and when my mother in law was visiting we did an article circle cruise and we had a few stops in various places in Norway. At one point because my mother in law refused to let me pay ship board prices for wine I went to a few stores to try to get alcohol and God drat was it difficult. I understand there are the concept of "state" stores where you can buy alcohol but those closed early and as it was 4 PM local time I was out of luck. The grocery stores only had low-alcohol content beer and alcohol-free wine so I was resigned to my fate. Still, upon exiting I mentioned this as a joke (dry humor and sarcasm is appreciated there so I knew I would be understood even while using English given the fluency of Nordic countries in general) where I said "I can't easily buy alcohol here so I'll be leaving the country now as there's nothing else to do" at which point a woman in her 60s who was waiting in line turned and said to me "we all want to leave, good luck to you." Funny moment to be sure.

Of course if you were talking about Denmark or were one of the people who would routinely take the ferry to Helsingør to get cheap alcohol well then drat you as in the times I had to stay overnight in Helsingør it was near impossible given all the parting with young Swedes coming over to drink. To echo earlier posts racism and xenophobia exist in every country, not just the US, and it was no more apparent in Denmark when one of my colleagues asked me to "help keep Denmark clean, walk a Swede to the ferry."

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Mr_Angry posted:

Of course if you were talking about Denmark or were one of the people who would routinely take the ferry to Helsingør to get cheap alcohol well then drat you as in the times I had to stay overnight in Helsingør it was near impossible given all the parting with young Swedes coming over to drink. To echo earlier posts racism and xenophobia exist in every country, not just the US, and it was no more apparent in Denmark when one of my colleagues asked me to "help keep Denmark clean, walk a Swede to the ferry."

Danish/Swedish sniping doesn't count as xenophobia/racism. They've known and fought each other for a long time and it's much more a brotherly rivalry.

If you want Danish racism though you don't have to look for long.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Racism and xenophobia exist everywhere, but there are major differences in the degree to which it is institutionalized or officially sanctioned.

That said in all honesty I very much disagree with the idea that there is a "best" country in the world in any kind of universal or objective sense. Almost every country contains within it a number of different cultures, and the degree to which those cultures are "best" is going to be a matter of your individual personality and values. Some people fit in best where they grew up, but there are some people who find they fit in better in a culture they didn't originally come from - regardless of whether they moved there by necessity or choice. and to an extent that's true of climate as well as culture.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 8, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

Racism and xenophobia exist everywhere, but there are major differences in the degree to which it is institutionalized or officially sanctioned.

That said in all honesty I very much disagree with the idea that there is a "best" country in the world in any kind of universal or objective sense. Almost every country contains within it a number of different cultures, and the degree to which those cultures are "best" is going to be a matter of your individual personality and values. Some people fit in best where they grew up, but there are some people who find they fit in better in a culture they didn't originally come from - regardless of whether they moved there by necessity or choice. and to an extent that's true of climate as well as culture.

post your katanas

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

hey op if you had any stones you'd just go work as a teach in a 3rd world country to try to make a difference or something instead of fantasizing about moving to a European country so you could be unemployed like the rest of the population there

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Earwicker posted:

I very much disagree with the idea that there is a "best" country in the world in any kind of universal or objective sense.

And I very much disagree with using quality of life studies as some kind of only benchmark. There are personal criteria that may differ from those used in the studies. Then there's the factor that some things work differently for foreigners.

The countries that usually win these (Norway, Switzerland, Canada etc.) are backwoods places that would bore me to death, no matter how they score on some objective benchmark. It's like some music benchmark that tells me that Pink Floyd is the best band ever when I loving hate them. Thanks, but I'll listen to what I like.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Reznor posted:

So what? America is the greatest nation? Or things haven't steadily been getting more crazy over time? In all seriousness what is your objection here?

Didn't say America is the Greatest Nation on Earth, I'm saying that your post just hits a lot of the check marks for a 20-year old kid who has just started learning a little bit about the world. You have now realized America isn't the greatest place on Earth and have gone to the complete opposite end of the spectrum and talked about the fall of the corrupt American Empire as an imminent certainty. Climate change is certainly going to negatively affect the world, but the USA is in one of the best positions to withstand it. It's all the poor developing countries and small island nations that will be the most hosed by it. Sure globalization has hurt many sectors, but America still leads in tons of areas, especially digital technology and electronics, as well as being one of the major breadbaskets of the world. China's manufacturing age is rapidly buckling under its own corruption and lack of foresight and most of those manufacturing jobs are moving to Southeast Asia now anyway.

Sure we don't have NHS but insurance is still pretty affordable for most people and you're not going to die from a simple infection because of lack of medical care of technology, which is a thing that happens in many parts of the world. America certainly isn't leading in vacation days, but if you looks at places like S. Korea or Japan people take even less vacation there despite them being developed, wealthy countries too, so it's not like it's some American phenomenon.

As for the "going robocop" thing, I fail to see how "things have been getting steadily more crazy over time". What do you mean? Like political correctness? Does it upset you that you can't use the word "fag" anymore or something? As far as I can tell society is only getting better. Sure cops still kill way too many black people and I guess sometimes Tumblr leaks out into the real world, but these are things that are being addressed now and are ostensibly changing for the better.

America is a great place, not perfect, but no place is. That will be easier to see once you start a career or go to a different country for a while.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flavor posted:

The countries that usually win these (Norway, Switzerland, Canada etc.) are backwoods places that would bore me to death

I don't disagree with your thesis that the desirability of a place is subjective, but I'm honestly curious: what level of stimulation do you require that no place in Norway, Switzerland or Canada could possibly provide you with sufficient entertainment? Where would be the place that you would, ideally, want to live? God knows there are a lot of things I don't like about Canada, but a general "it's boring" seems like a very shallow appraisal.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

PT6A posted:

I don't disagree with your thesis that the desirability of a place is subjective, but I'm honestly curious: what level of stimulation do you require that no place in Norway, Switzerland or Canada could possibly provide you with sufficient entertainment? Where would be the place that you would, ideally, want to live? God knows there are a lot of things I don't like about Canada, but a general "it's boring" seems like a very shallow appraisal.

No.

"It's boring" would be a shallow appraisal, yes, because there are people who are hugely interested in these places. I just said that they'd bore *me* to death. I don't want to make this about my preferences and dislikes, it was just about how some criteria by which these places are selected, while objective, aren't the ones I would use or I would weigh them differently. The same would apply to other people but their weights would differ from mine in most cases, of course.

I actually live in a place that's pretty close to where I'd ideally want to live, but again, I don't want to make this so much about me. I'm really sorry about Canada, I know that it's probably the best place in the world and I'm totally not saying that because 90% of the most vocal posters here are from there, but I'm seriously not very interested in it. (But it's a little bit like with Pink Floyd, Radiohead or the movie 2001: If you don't think they're the greatest thing ever, you'll have some serious 'splainin' to do.)

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

check marks for a 20-year old kid who has just started learning an Earth anClimate change is certainly going to Southeast Asia now anyway.

Sure we don't have NHS but insurance America certainly isn't leading in vacation days,

As for the "going robocop" thing, sometimes Tumblr leaks out into the real world, but these are things that are being addressed now and are ostensibly changing for the better.

America is a great place, not perfect, go to a different country for a while.

You can't just brush of criticisms because theyare stupid all that stuff is something to consider. There are real trends showing America is changeing from the place we were told it was going to be. maybe it won't be tomorrow but thinking of America as an empire in a historical context in an unprecedented period of global change could be in no way imprudent.

NHS and robust labor protection are specifically the kind of quality of life improvements one should consider. Sure places got it worse, but other places got it better and that is something to think about. Maybe those are the kinds of things some one would be willing to take trade offs for.

Are you mad we can't say fag anymore? Tumbler is one of the things I see as being a sign of things getting better. I was more talking about the fact that we live in a smart phone powered world of 3d printers and self driving cars. Where it is entirely possible that society will re-invent itself again in a decade like it did when the Internet happned.

So is your conclusion is that it's dumb to talk about other places but going to other places is important? That is the point of the thread. Not that America is a sinking ship and it's time to get to the lifeboats. But that on a big ship we have the luxury of looking around and see where other boats are going.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Reznor posted:

That is the point of the thread. Not that America is a sinking ship and it's time to get to the lifeboats.

Did you read a single sentence of the OP's post that started the thread?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mr_Angry posted:

Not if you're Norway.

The entire point of vinmonopolet etc is to keep Nordic people from getting drunk, because before the wine monopoly everyone did it all the time.

(Oslo is kinda boring though compared to somewhere like London or NYC)

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Reznor posted:

You can't just brush of criticisms because theyare stupid all that stuff is something to consider. There are real trends showing America is changeing from the place we were told it was going to be. maybe it won't be tomorrow but thinking of America as an empire in a historical context in an unprecedented period of global change could be in no way imprudent.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. First off, you can absolutely brush off a criticism if it is stupid. If a criticism is stupid, it's not valid, and why should it even be discussed?

I'm not sure what trends you're talking about, or who these people are who told you America was going to be...something it isn't now? Nor do I know what you're talking about in regards to America being an empire, I'm only talking about America currently, and likely for the foreseeable future, being a good place to live in terms of quality of life around the globe.

Reznor posted:

NHS and robust labor protection are specifically the kind of quality of life improvements one should consider. Sure places got it worse, but other places got it better and that is something to think about. Maybe those are the kinds of things some one would be willing to take trade offs for.

Agree with the first point, but I'm not sure what you mean after that. Some places have it better, and some have it worse, yes. It is important to think about. But in regards to America in both of those things America has it better than many places. Especially if you're going in as a foreigner. Most countries will heartily prioritize worker protection to their own citizens rather than foreign workers. I agree America's health care sucks though.

Reznor posted:

Are you mad we can't say fag anymore? Tumbler is one of the things I see as being a sign of things getting better. I was more talking about the fact that we live in a smart phone powered world of 3d printers and self driving cars. Where it is entirely possible that society will re-invent itself again in a decade like it did when the Internet happned.

I guess I misunderstand what "robocop" means as slang on SA. Are you actually talking about like...robot uprisings or something? I think society is constantly re-inventing itself. The internet was a huge step obviously, but I"m not sure what this means in the context of "I'm going to leave America as soon as I'm more educated".

Reznor posted:

So is your conclusion is that it's dumb to talk about other places but going to other places is important? That is the point of the thread. Not that America is a sinking ship and it's time to get to the lifeboats. But that on a big ship we have the luxury of looking around and see where other boats are going.

No, I think it's important to both talk about and go to other places. My main gripe with your original post was that it's the exact kind of thing that college aged people who grew up in America and have never lived outside of it think. They think America is this horrible corrupt place because they've never seen what a horrible corrupt place actually looks like. There's a reason why huge parts of the world want to immigrate to America, and it's not the hamburgers. Well it's a little bit the hamburgers.

And that ship analogy makes no sense. If the ships are countries, why would they be going somewhere? Like, we all live on the ships in this ocean and there's no land...because the ships are what would be the land, IE the countries we live in? So it doesn't matter where the other ships are going. I mean if anything we should maybe be looking at the design of the other ships to make our ship better, or maybe combining our ships into a super ship or something.

edit; the best ship is FRIENDship

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 8, 2016

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Go teach English in Japan til you find yourself a Waifu.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I guess I misunderstand what "robocop" means as slang on SA. Are you actually talking about like...robot uprisings or something? I think society is constantly re-inventing itself. The internet was a huge step obviously, but I"m not sure what this means in the context of "I'm going to leave America as soon as I'm more educated".

Robocop means Ess Jay Double-You, if I remember correctly.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

maybe its good to get out of america because its where google is developing robot cars which will inevitably become sentient and start mowing down humans in a bloodthirsty death race

let i hug
Dec 25, 2011

Earwicker posted:

maybe its good to get out of america because its where google is developing robot cars which will inevitably become sentient and start mowing down humans in a bloodthirsty death race

It's better to be surprised by them rather than have the inevitability of your demise haunting you I think.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

teen witch posted:

Robocop means Ess Jay Double-You, if I remember correctly.

In this case I'm pretty sure the guy he was replying to was literally referring to the movie about the cop who is a robot, on account of how the movie is set in a hypercapitalist dystopia and his argument was that that's what America is turning into. The existence of the wordfilter just confused things.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Ive been lurking this thread since day one and keeping my opinions to myself, but seeing this :

Reznor posted:

Tumbler is one of the things I see as being a sign of things getting better.

I honestly cannot take anything you say anymore in this thread seriously at all. Calling that ugly echo chamber of horrible ideas and entitled children a sign of things getting better kind of tanks your debate credibility in my eyes. Not that my opinion matters, but just sayin.

Anyway, carry on America haters. The sophomoric tears are funny.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.

Skoll posted:

Ive been lurking this thread since day one and keeping my opinions to myself, but seeing this :

Not that my opinion matters.

What happened that sjw got set to robocop?
I am totally supprised by the tone of this thread. Even if no one liked the op the decent into poo poo posting was amazeing.

What is wrong with tumbler? So wrong that you just couldn't contain it. You just had to step up and be the guy to point out how it's why we can't have nice things. The challenge of someone saying something nice about it was just too big an affront to your honor.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I'm not going to dogpile you but I will say that your opinions are pretty naive. I've lived abroad for three years of my life and expatriating is excruciatingly difficult unless you aim to go to one of the places where it's not so bad, like Thailand or Costa Rica or whatever. The problem then is that to retire there you need to have either a western sized passive income or a very large amount of liquid money saved up to "invest" in some local investment scheme to qualify for a visa. A secondary problem is what if you meet a girl there and have a kid and want to get that kid the huge advantages that growing up in America garner (which would be obvious to you by then) -- what kind of a career can you have overseas that transfers back to the US? What kind of a career can you have overseas that will make you enough money to actually retire? People over there don't retire, by the way, they work until one or several of their kids has the money to support them because that's the only realistic retirement option open to 99% of the population.

Additionally if you're actually interested in expatriating the time to "look into it" isn't "when you have enough school to leave." The second item in quotes there is a moving and unclear target anyway and always will be. If you're actually interested in it you need to look into it now. You should also read a book called The Global Expatriate's Guide To Investing so you can get an idea of what it takes to build a retirement fund on your own because just living overseas doesn't generally grant you access to the regional national safety nets / pension schemes even if

Reznor posted:

What is wrong with tumbler?

I don't care if someone wants to dweeb out about being a dickgirl or a spirit fox or feels some heinous oppression that actually is not heinous and probably doesn't exist. Mainly what's wrong with tumbler is the thin skinned pissbabyism that the community there promotes as a norm. You have to live under very thick shelter to be that much of a crybaby and live an actual life. Expatriating and being a tumblerina are almost mutually exclusive for that reason alone.

raton fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 11, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SurfaceDetail posted:

I can't say this isn't true for you (although I would say that if you lined up ten guys saying this nine of them don't have enough experience to actually say it with authority) but LOL forever at it being true for me.

raton fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 11, 2016

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.

Sheep-Goats posted:

I'm not going to dogpile you but I will say that your opinions are pretty naive. I've lived abroad for three years of my life and expatriating is excruciatingly difficult unless you aim to go to one of the places where it's not so bad, like Thailand or Costa Rica or whatever. The problem then is that to retire there you need to have either a western sized passive income or a very large amount of liquid money saved up to "invest" in some local investment scheme to qualify for a visa. A secondary problem is what if you meet a girl there and have a kid and want to get that kid the huge advantages that growing up in America garner (which would be obvious to you by then) -- what kind of a career can you have overseas that transfers back to the US? What kind of a career can you have overseas that will make you enough money to actually retire? People over there don't retire, by the way, they work until one or several of their kids has the money to support them because that's the only realistic retirement option open to 99% of the population.

Additionally if you're actually interested in expatriating the time to "look into it" isn't "when you have enough school to leave." The second item in quotes there is a moving and unclear target anyway and always will be. If you're actually interested in it you need to look into it now. You should also read a book called The Global Expatriate's Guide To Investing so you can get an idea of what it takes to build a retirement fund on your own because just living overseas doesn't generally grant you access to the regional national safety nets / pension schemes even if

I don't care if someone wants to dweeb out about being a dickgirl or a spirit fox or feels some heinous oppression that actually is not heinous and probably doesn't exist. Mainly what's wrong with tumbler is the thin skinned pissbabyism that the community there promotes as a norm. You have to live under very thick shelter to be that much of a crybaby and live an actual life. Expatriating and being a tumblerina are almost mutually exclusive for that reason alone.

I'd not argue the point that I am well informed on the topic. That's why I clicked on the thread to learn about the topic. Instead it's been mostly shitposting about, "over there" and a lot of oddly strident defence of the US without anything to back it up. Since you mentioned "over there" do they speak English in "over there"

That book reccomnedation is exactly the kind of content I wanted to see from this thread.

Tumbler is like 4chan for girls. There are plenty of valid reasons to object. People trying to figure out self identity on the Internet isn't one of the great ones. If you don't like thin skinned pissbabyism you have to hate every part of the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Reznor posted:

I'd not argue the point that I am well informed on the topic. That's why I clicked on the thread to learn about the topic. Instead it's been mostly shitposting about, "over there" and a lot of oddly strident defence of the US without anything to back it up. Since you mentioned "over there" do they speak English in "over there"

That book reccomnedation is exactly the kind of content I wanted to see from this thread.

Tumbler is like 4chan for girls. There are plenty of valid reasons to object. People trying to figure out self identity on the Internet isn't one of the great ones. If you don't like thin skinned pissbabyism you have to hate every part of the internet.

You're really loving stupid.

• Locked thread