Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Since this thread is now just about languages or whatever, what is the attitude of French and German speakers towards foreigners trying to speak their languages?

I've never been to France but I've heard that many French people don't like foreigners trying to speak French to them, because they butcher the language or something. I had this confirmed by one of my French friends ("Just speak English, most of us do anyway"), but to be fair he's kind of a twat so I don't know if that's the general consensus. Is it the same in Germany?

I only ask because I've lived in Asia for a while now and in every country I've been to people have been overly-enthusiastic about me speaking even a tiny bit of the local language. It's nice that people are encouraging, but people telling me "You're so good at X language!" because I can ask what time it is also gets kind of old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

idk always learn a bit of the language anyway since if they like it it's polite and if they get snobby about it then gently caress em.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
From what I've seen, the "issue" with French people being rude, regarding the language or otherwise, is largely an issue with Paris, which evidently has a reputation for being full of assholes even among French people who aren't from Paris.

Personally, I like to try speaking the local language, but if it gets too frustrating for anyone involved, then I switch to English. The most important thing, I think, is that you don't come off like you're doing them a favour by speaking their language because the poor dears probably can't speak English or whatever. This applies double when you're speaking to people who've immigrated to an English-speaking country -- ask first if they mind you practicing the language with them, so you don't accidentally imply they're too stupid to speak English.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I know my French pronunciation is truly, truly appalling and I garble even simple words so when in Paris I mostly kept with "Bonjour!" and a slightly sheepish "Parlez-vous anglais?" When we were sitting on the lawn in front of the Eiffel tower a drunk guy came up and started talking in rapid French and I interrupted him with a "Sorry..Anglais!" and his response was "Anglais?....Hahahaha! Peesss! Sheeeet! Hahahaha!" and then he tumbled into a bush and I didn't see him again. This was the only instance where any Parisian had any noticeable reaction to my bad accent and poor French.

I was much happier in Germany where I got to use my high school German and it was actually useful. Although of course everyone spoke English so when my German ran out they were happy to switch.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tamarillo posted:

When we were sitting on the lawn in front of the Eiffel tower a drunk guy came up and started talking in rapid French and I interrupted him with a "Sorry..Anglais!" and his response was "Anglais?....Hahahaha! Peesss! Sheeeet! Hahahaha!" and then he tumbled into a bush and I didn't see him again.

:master:

Goons just go 4 it follow ur dreamz

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

flavor posted:

It's kinda cute and sweet and I'm probably just acting like an rear end, because I had people come up to me, say something incomprehensible in German and then acting like they expected a medal too many times.

Strange. I've been to Berlin, Wien, München and Köln myself, and with with one expection I never saw a tourist whose native language was something other than German attempt to speak the local language. Like, there were groups of tourists where you could hear them speak French amongst themselves who would mutter "zank yu" when you stepped aside to let them pass, or Italians who answered with "prego" when you say "Danke".

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
I guess I owe you an explanation: It didn't happen to me in Germany. It's a thing that people do who force the whole "I detect an accent, where are you from?" :haw: conversation on me. It gets followed up with smallltalk about things I don't care for (Soccer (bores me to death), Autobahn (too narrow with only two lanes per direction, therefore too stressful), German beer (I only like Belgian beer)). Often enough, it's being topped up with something like "Do you know Krappenhausen?" or something incomprehensible in German.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 16, 2016

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Since this thread is now just about languages or whatever, what is the attitude of French and German speakers towards foreigners trying to speak their languages?

I've never been to France but I've heard that many French people don't like foreigners trying to speak French to them, because they butcher the language or something. I had this confirmed by one of my French friends ("Just speak English, most of us do anyway"), but to be fair he's kind of a twat so I don't know if that's the general consensus. Is it the same in Germany?

I only ask because I've lived in Asia for a while now and in every country I've been to people have been overly-enthusiastic about me speaking even a tiny bit of the local language. It's nice that people are encouraging, but people telling me "You're so good at X language!" because I can ask what time it is also gets kind of old.

As someone who's lived in Paris most of his life, and deals with tourists daily at his job, I don't think Parisians have an issue with people trying to speak French to them. They mostly have an issue with people speaking to them at all, especially if they're slow about it (whether it's because they're bad at French or they're not sure what they want). If you interrupt an adult Parisian in the street, he's probably going to or coming from work and he's not in the mood and doesn't have the time to help you along. Since it's the most visited place in the world, people asking for directions happens all the time and it can get tiring.
If you address him in a foreign language (English or Spanish or Italian or whatever) instead of French he'll probably like it even less because he won't understand you and definitely doesn't want to explain stuff through sign language. If it's the summer it will also be worse because that's when the city is half empty and the only people left are the unlucky ones who aren't on vacation and have to deal with the increased number of tourists.

At work, my colleagues, who only speak French and a bit of English will definitely appreciate it if you try to speak French.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

pylb posted:

As someone who's lived in Paris most of his life, and deals with tourists daily at his job, I don't think Parisians have an issue with people trying to speak French to them. They mostly have an issue with people speaking to them at all, especially if they're slow about it (whether it's because they're bad at French or they're not sure what they want). If you interrupt an adult Parisian in the street, he's probably going to or coming from work and he's not in the mood and doesn't have the time to help you along. Since it's the most visited place in the world, people asking for directions happens all the time and it can get tiring.
If you address him in a foreign language (English or Spanish or Italian or whatever) instead of French he'll probably like it even less because he won't understand you and definitely doesn't want to explain stuff through sign language. If it's the summer it will also be worse because that's when the city is half empty and the only people left are the unlucky ones who aren't on vacation and have to deal with the increased number of tourists.

At work, my colleagues, who only speak French and a bit of English will definitely appreciate it if you try to speak French.

That kind oflines up with what I've heard about visiting France. If you go to Paris expecting that the French understand English, then gently caress you.

OToH If you're willing to pick up a guide book, and take a stab at learning how to to speak French. Yeah, you're going to screw it up, but in most of France they will accept that you're a foreigner, and you at get least points for trying.

The rude foreigner stereotype is based on English and German tourists who expect Parisians to speak English and German. Some of them do speak English, but it's still presumptuous to expect them to speak any language that's not French.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 16, 2016

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

pylb posted:

Funny thing is, this happens to tourists as well. When I was in your city in april of last year, I took the train to Versailles and out of the blue some African-type fellow asked me "C'est le train vers Versailles?" Why he jumped aboard the train before making sure it was the right one I will never know, but I had to tell him that I was a foreign tourist and didn't know. In any case, if you have to ask directions it seems foolish to pester random passersby (chances are they are tourists as well if you are in a touristy area) instead of seeking out someone who is likely to know, like the staff of local businesses.

quote:

Really now? Let me tell you about some of my experiences in your city:
- Gare du Nord, shortly after arriving from CDG: went to booth where they sell museum passes. Did my best to speak the local language, something like "Bonjour monsieur, je veux un museum pass pour six jours". Guy in the booth seemed to understand, but refused to speak anything but the rosbif language. It wasn't a very involved conversation, but I kept speaking French and he kept replying in English. I am reasonably certain I would have understood him if he said the same things in French.
- There was a woman selling sandwiches from a stand on the street. I ordered one in a manner that should be perfectly polite ("Bonjour. Un sandwich avec poulet, s'il vous plait") yet she seemed annoyed and dismissive and wouldn't answer in the local language, instead going something like "yes, yes, here you are, bye". I never encountered anyone else who acted like that, so I'm pretty sure I wasn't acting in an especially offensive manner.
- Went to the Pantheon, the one who checked tickets was a middle-aged African-type man. Upon seeing my foreign name on the pass, he went "Bienvenue, monsieur (mangled pronounciation of my last name)" Later I went to the Orangerie, similar situation with a younger woman (also African-type). Her seeing my foreign name made her hesitate and go "Thank you sir" instead of "Merci, monsieur". For some reason, people like that think that us foreigners are all anglomaniacs who can't even understand the simplest phrases in the local language.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tamarillo posted:

I know my French pronunciation is truly, truly appalling and I garble even simple words so when in Paris I mostly kept with "Bonjour!" and a slightly sheepish "Parlez-vous anglais?" When we were sitting on the lawn in front of the Eiffel tower a drunk guy came up and started talking in rapid French and I interrupted him with a "Sorry..Anglais!" and his response was "Anglais?....Hahahaha! Peesss! Sheeeet! Hahahaha!" and then he tumbled into a bush and I didn't see him again. This was the only instance where any Parisian had any noticeable reaction to my bad accent and poor French.

lol

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Kopijeger posted:

Really now? Let me tell you about some of my experiences in your city:

Well, maybe I should have said 'will dislike you less if you can speak French instead of English'.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

People who work in the heavily touristy areas of cities like NYC or Paris or London tend to be perpetually annoyed no matter what language is being spoken to them by whom. It's nothing to do with the culture of the surrounding country or even the rest of the city, it's just that working in those kinds of areas tends to have that effect on people over time.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Earwicker posted:

People who work in the heavily touristy areas of cities like NYC or Paris or London tend to be perpetually annoyed no matter what language is being spoken to them by whom. It's nothing to do with the culture of the surrounding country or even the rest of the city, it's just that working in those kinds of areas tends to have that effect on people over time.

Yeah no. Paris and France routinely win "rudest place for tourists" in surveys. Yes, now we're going to hear again that "some disagree".

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Earwicker posted:

It's like living in a retail job.

insufficient guns
May 4, 2009

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

:h: :roboluv: :h:

Kopijeger posted:

Funny thing is, this happens to tourists as well. When I was in your city in april of last year, I took the train to Versailles and out of the blue some African-type fellow asked me "C'est le train vers Versailles?" Why he jumped aboard the train before making sure it was the right one I will never know, but I had to tell him that I was a foreign tourist and didn't know. In any case, if you have to ask directions it seems foolish to pester random passersby (chances are they are tourists as well if you are in a touristy area) instead of seeking out someone who is likely to know, like the staff of local businesses.

Why on earth do people do this? A few years ago I was in centre of Nijmegen, I was stopped leaning against a building with my face in a map and a huge backpack. Some woman came up to me and asked me how to find the Primark!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Tourists can know things, too. Especially regarding touristy things -- a subject on which tourists are generally better informed than local residents.

People ask me for info all the time when I'm travelling, for some reason. Sometimes I know and can help them, other times not. It's not really much of an imposition.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I live in a touristy area of a big city (not Paris/NYC big, but big), and when people ask me where a certain thing is, I don't always have an answer :v:

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
When I lived in San Francisco, my standard response was to send everyone to BART, and give them a random station (depending on my mood and the manners of the tourist).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

insufficient guns posted:

Why on earth do people do this? A few years ago I was in centre of Nijmegen, I was stopped leaning against a building with my face in a map and a huge backpack. Some woman came up to me and asked me how to find the Primark!

You had a map.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
OP, come back, it's been a week since some ostentatiously outraged hipster has threatened to leave whatever nation they were currently in.

We need to maintain the status quo, you know?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Agean90 posted:

America had fucktons of German immigrants so some Americans learn German as a way to get in touch with that

I've got great grandma's bible. It's in German. Grandma uses short German phrases from time to time.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

pylb posted:

I used to tell people all the time that people in NYC are actually overly friendly and will talk to you almost unprompted, just not in the subway.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
Are there cities where strangers do talk to you on the subway? That sounds awful

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Are there cities where strangers do talk to you on the subway? That sounds awful

Chicago, although when I offered a fifth of whiskey to strangers on the train they refused

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

strangers do talk to you in the subway in NYC, just not during rush hour and not as frequently as other places in the city

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I didn't read any of the posts in between but French people love people attempting to speak French. They, more than most, like to watch tourists at least attempt to speak their language rather than just launching into English and assuming they will respond. I have seen French people feign being unable to speak English to some person, then speak it 5 minutes later fluently to somebody who at least attempted to ask them a question in French.

They are kinda prideful about their language, although I get the sense that newer generations are a bit rebellious against that whole thing. They are usually pretty happy to speak English.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Jeza posted:

I didn't read any of the posts in between but French people love people attempting to speak French. They, more than most, like to watch tourists at least attempt to speak their language rather than just launching into English and assuming they will respond.

If only they did the same thing when they go abroad. Speaking from personal experience, in the German city of Köln (Cologne) I was suddenly approached by a teenage boy with a stereotypically French appearance and an obvious French accent who saw fit to ask me, out of all the other tourists around, something like "hey...where izz double-u c?". He did this in lieu of preparing in advance and learning three basic words: "Entschuldigung", "Toilette" and "Bitte". The next day, I was walking along a street in the same city and there were a trio of young women going the other way. One of them went "Excuse me, do you speak English" with an obvious French accent instead of learning the German for "I don't speak your language. Do you know French or English?".

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

mastershakeman posted:

Chicago, although when I offered a fifth of whiskey to strangers on the train they refused

I will never go to Chicago.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Making a major life decision based on US news media? Great idea!

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Jeza posted:

I didn't read any of the posts in between but French people love people attempting to speak French. They, more than most, like to watch tourists at least attempt to speak their language rather than just launching into English and assuming they will respond. I have seen French people feign being unable to speak English to some person, then speak it 5 minutes later fluently to somebody who at least attempted to ask them a question in French.

They are kinda prideful about their language, although I get the sense that newer generations are a bit rebellious against that whole thing. They are usually pretty happy to speak English.

This here is a forum with many somewhat intellectual Americans. Those typically underestimate two things:

1) The difficulty of learning a foreign language and the amount of time it takes.
2) The importance and acceptability of English.

It's simply not feasible or an efficient use of time to learn a whole language for a one-time touristy trip to a country that lasts a few days. It's also not unheard of that people travel through several European countries with different languages in a few days/weeks. I remember with amusement a thread here many years ago where someone asked about visiting Prague over the weekend and people making GBS threads themselves with rage about why he was too insensitive to learn conversational Czech. I doubt any Czech people had a problem with that.

From statistics and what I read, the French just seem to be douchey outliers with their expectations, it's probably because they've lost some cultural influence over the last century to the English-speaking world.

Kopijeger posted:

If only they did the same thing when they go abroad. Speaking from personal experience, in the German city of Köln (Cologne) I was suddenly approached by a teenage boy with a stereotypically French appearance and an obvious French accent who saw fit to ask me, out of all the other tourists around, something like "hey...where izz double-u c?". He did this in lieu of preparing in advance and learning three basic words: "Entschuldigung", "Toilette" and "Bitte". The next day, I was walking along a street in the same city and there were a trio of young women going the other way. One of them went "Excuse me, do you speak English" with an obvious French accent instead of learning the German for "I don't speak your language. Do you know French or English?".

Boohoo. I didn't know there were Germans (if you're German) with that attitude, I thought it was limited to the French. I've helped people in several languages, and I never even thought "Couldn't they at least have learned these n-1 words in one of my holy languages? I am so offended and shall not respond or, better, I will direct them away from the crapper, haha!". Language is completely irrelevant to me in such situations. They're not harming anyone by this and intend no harm. To be an rear end to them is not warranted.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

flavor posted:

It's simply not feasible or an efficient use of time to learn a whole language for a one-time touristy trip to a country that lasts a few days. It's also not unheard of that people travel through several European countries with different languages in a few days/weeks. I remember with amusement a thread here many years ago where someone asked about visiting Prague over the weekend and people making GBS threads themselves with rage about why he was too insensitive to learn conversational Czech. I doubt any Czech people had a problem with that.

Even for a short trip, it would be worthwhile learning some of the most basic stuff in order to interpret common signs and the like.

quote:

Boohoo. I didn't know there were Germans (if you're German) with that attitude, I thought it was limited to the French. I've helped people in several languages, and I never even thought "Couldn't they at least have learned these n-1 words in one of my holy languages? I am so offended and shall not respond or, better, I will direct them away from the crapper, haha!". Language is completely irrelevant to me in such situations. They're not harming anyone by this and intend no harm. To be an rear end to them is not warranted.

I'm from a Scandinavian country, for the record. The reason why it annoyed me is not so much that they didn't bother to learn even the basics of the local language, but that they expected a foreign tourist like me to play along with their worldview. If they aren't going to even attempt to act according to local custom, it would probably be better if their limited their attention to professional tourist handlers, like those people who man information booths.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Kopijeger posted:

Even for a short trip, it would be worthwhile learning some of the most basic stuff in order to interpret common signs and the like.

That's usually covered in travel guides.

Kopijeger posted:

I'm from a Scandinavian country, for the record. The reason why it annoyed me is not so much that they didn't bother to learn even the basics of the local language, but that they expected a foreign tourist like me to play along with their worldview. If they aren't going to even attempt to act according to local custom, it would probably be better if their limited their attention to professional tourist handlers, like those people who man information booths.

I don't know, did you have "foreign tourist" stamped somewhere on your head or other signs that made that instantly obvious? I've been asked directions in places that I didn't know so well, in which case I said "sorry, I'm not from here", but didn't spend any time being upset about the nerve of people to ask me directions.

You have some kind of weird attitude problem with people taking casual quick low-involvement trips to different European countries. I'm absolutely not seeing the slightest issue with someone taking a quick side trip to Poland when they're in Germany for example or vice-versa, and I don't think anyone should have an issue with that.

The concept of "it would be polite to learn some of the language" is something I see when people are other people's guests, want to actually live in that country or those kinds of situations.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

flavor posted:

I don't know, did you have "foreign tourist" stamped somewhere on your head or other signs that made that instantly obvious? I've been asked directions in places that I didn't know so well, in which case I said "sorry, I'm not from here", but didn't spend any time being upset about the nerve of people to ask me directions.

This usually happens in locations where there are plenty other tourists around. And I don't mind being asked about directions if they use the local language to do so. Hell, it has even happened in Italy when I thought I was too pale and northern European to pass as a local. I point them in the right direction if I know, or tell them "I don't know" if not. The key point is this: do they demonstrate a willingness to adapt to the location they are visiting?

quote:

You have some kind of weird attitude problem with people taking casual quick low-involvement trips to different European countries. I'm absolutely not seeing the slightest issue with someone taking a quick side trip to Poland when they're in Germany for example or vice-versa, and I don't think anyone should have an issue with that.

When did I ever say that people shouldn't go on trips? The point is that they shouldn't expect every other person, whether locals or other tourists, to adapt to their whims when they go abroad.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

pylb posted:

I just wanted to support this: Almost everyone I've met from Paris is extremely nice, moreso than most people in most cities.

People in very touristy places are the exception. I'm not sure I've met a less courteous person than the lady running one of the coffee shops across from the Notre Dame. Not that I blame anyone in that sort of job. Even getting a block or two away from that and you're back to normal person territory.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Kopijeger posted:

This usually happens in locations where there are plenty other tourists around. And I don't mind being asked about directions if they use the local language to do so. Hell, it has even happened in Italy when I thought I was too pale and northern European to pass as a local. I point them in the right direction if I know, or tell them "I don't know" if not. The key point is this: do they demonstrate a willingness to adapt to the location they are visiting?

When did I ever say that people shouldn't go on trips? The point is that they shouldn't expect every other person, whether locals or other tourists, to adapt to their whims when they go abroad.

They should expect to use the lingua franca of today, english, and get by with it. That is the rational expectation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The weirdest experience I ever had was at a laundromat in Madrid. I asked a guy who was there, in Spanish, if he needed to use the dryer, since his washing was done first. Instead of saying, "sorry, I don't speak Spanish," or something like that, he just said, "I haven't got any clue what you're saying," in a rather thick English accent.

Like, maybe be a little less surprised that someone in Spain tries Spanish before English if they don't already know what language you speak.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

flavor posted:

The concept of "it would be polite to learn some of the language" is something I see when people are other people's guests, want to actually live in that country or those kinds of situations.

There's nothing wrong with quick trips but IMO it is rude to go to a country and not learn at least rudimentary stuff like hello, thank you, good night, where is the X, etc. Even if I'm just changing planes in the Frankfurt airport for a few hours I'll still greet the people who work there in German first before resorting to English. You don't need to be fully "conversational" and it's really not hard to learn the basics.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiVRlNKEgew&t=9s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Earwicker posted:

There's nothing wrong with quick trips but IMO it is rude to go to a country and not learn at least rudimentary stuff like hello, thank you, good night, where is the X, etc. Even if I'm just changing planes in the Frankfurt airport for a few hours I'll still greet the people who work there in German first before resorting to English. You don't need to be fully "conversational" and it's really not hard to learn the basics.

Yeah, in pretty much any language, you can learn 10-15 basic words in 10 minutes. Except Basque, which is insane and makes no sense to me -- but I still learned hello, please and thank you.

• Locked thread