Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda
I'll make the case for the Britoons.

Worst Caricature:

(although the dick-nose Theresa May is worse, someone already nom'ed it)

'Nonsense, This Is An Election Year':

(I love you, Bell, but this is insane)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Silver2195 posted:

It's a reference to a famous painting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabrielle_d%27Estr%C3%A9es_et_une_de_ses_s%C5%93urs (NSFW, naturally.)
Though I admit I'm not sure what it's being used to represent here.
I know the reference; the artist (School of Fontainebleau) is credited in the lower right. The second half of your statement is key, not the first.
and he added Gimp George Osborne as a non-reference flourish

nobodyssweetheart fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 15, 2016

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

spoon0042 posted:

Yeah I'd probably have some respect for dumb "Obama did a thing" cartoons if they referenced some 16th century painting.
Go to the Britoon's thread... a third of them are fine art painting parodies. It's the last refuge of the cartoonist with nothing to say-- dazzle 'em with art.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Cat Mattress posted:

He stands in for the maid sewing a layette.
I don't remember the context for this brittoon, but I'm going to say it's about Cameron being pregnant with a Brexit.
But she isn't hanging from the ceiling, is she? That's the Bell magic. The coup d'grace.
Sure, show the PM and his (then) presumed heir having a bath and nipple tweaks, but then take it up a notch.

The 'pregnant with Brexit' is possible but this was way before the actual vote. It was on the distant horizon, but Boris hadn't picked a side yet. And he's expecting a lot from readers to not only recognize the painting but also know the context of when/why it was painted, apply it to contemporary events, as well as know his own backlog of cartoon symbols for people involved. From a neutral standpoint, this is an insane cartoon.

nobodyssweetheart fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 15, 2016

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda
doubled. whoops. sorry about that.

• Locked thread