Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/WBm8Ck_V4EU?t=903

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

reallivedinosaur posted:

lol

"community policing is like an occupying army"

"the only answer is more community policing"

you don't want to solve anything you just want to see more people get killed on TV, i doubt you even care what color they are

Sometimes a discussion is so reasonable and productive, one forgets that some people genuinely believe that the solution is to make all crime legal and kill all cops.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

City of Tampa posted:

http://www.tampabay.com/projects/2016/public-safety/walmart-police/

some locations call the cops 40+ times a day, because that's cheaper than hiring two or three minimum wage security guards

Haha, yeah, loving Wal-Mart, goddamn won't just let people steal poo poo from them, loving Corporate Pigs.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
You still have to call the cops to press charges on a shoplifter. And stealing is illegal, also.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Its a stupid premise. Cops called too often to Huge place where millions of people visit that has lots of crime.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

Okay but what's special about WalMart that there is so much stealing going on there?

If the article was any good, maybe it would explore that pretext.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

politicians handwringing about a few hundred mil in food stamps meanwhile that poo poo is a-okay

Politicians don't work at police departments.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
First off:

lol

Second, "You make enough money so you don't get equal protections under the law." is the dumbest, most childish belief a grown-up can have.

Third, like I already pointed out, you can't prosecute misdemeanor theft (shoplifting) without calling the police. So, you have to call the cops.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

City of Tampa posted:

"you have some level of responsibility to put forth the barest minimum of effort to prevent your own poo poo from being stolen" is a pretty adult position to have actually

Please list all the crimes that applies to, so I can pick the appropriate shaming technique for your bad opinion.

Or not, and say instead something like, "well its Wal-mart and I don't like Wal-mart, so I get to feel which law apply to them."

Zombiepop posted:

Is this even legal? Over here you have to pay the police If you don't have a valid reason to call them/ If the cops dont think you have a valid reason.

The many cities have this; I suspect Tampa does too.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

Please list all the crimes that applies to, so I can pick the appropriate shaming technique for your bad opinion.

Nevermind, they got it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
If you want to take a deeper look into it, you'd have to examine the interplay between criminal charges, and the threat of civil lawsuits. Wal-Mart has policies about engaging disruptive, harmful, or dangerous individuals, because guess what: they get it wrong, they get sued.

Police have immunity from civil suits, generally, so why would Wal-Mart risk getting sued for millions by tossing a drunk out on his rear end, when they can have the Cops do it?

Edit: they have a whole handbook and training for dealing with shoplifters; 'false imprisonment' is a type of claim in a civil suit.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Its sometimes called "qualified immunity" and it protects cops from civil suits for things like punching, arresting, shooting, restraining people etc., all of which would be actionable civil claims amongst private individuals, if they do these things while acting in the line of duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Its complicated, but if its wrongful conduct, then yes, either the city, or the cop individually.

• Locked thread