Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah cops never kill naked black men on the ground

No, see he was meaning for the guy to hide from the cops that way.

And as for the body armor dude, it's a federal crime to have body armor if you've been convicted of a crime. Also, many states have additional laws against body armor too (I don't know about TX though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ginette Reno posted:

How hard would it be to gun down people from a high place with cover? Especially since there'd be confusion and the Cops I'm guessing wouldn't shoot back due to not knowing where the shots were coming from, etc

Not too hard. Also, cops carry pistols. Not exactly good for shooting at anything further away than across the street.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

What the gently caress was all those sparks? Did he shoot that cop with a blunderbus or something?

Nah, bullets are usually just copper covered lead. They smash apart into a bajillion sparky pieces the second they hit anything hard (like pavement).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Obstacle2 posted:

Has anyone pointed out that the video of the sniper going around the pillar and shooting the cop screams ex-military.+

It makes me wonder if ISIS isn't stepping their game up.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Blazing Zero posted:

not everyone who kills is insane. see: the vast majority of premeditated murder

They have to be insane. I'm a sane person who would never kill anyone. Therefore anyone who isn't just like me must be insane.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

McNutty posted:

killing people is an insane action. if anything premeditated murder is more insane. you and i apparently disagree about that i am fine with that.

You must think President Obama is totally nuts then.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

McNutty posted:

I do completely disagree with his killing people with drones. It is a cowardly and disgusting act.

But it's still irrational though, right? You said killing people is insane.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

atomicthumbs posted:

We won't have to worry about getting run over by automatic vehicles. They'll turn to dust and blow away eventually. Maybe a few of them will keep going until they realize there's no driver at the wheel anymore, and nobody to take over.

Here's a CGI short on just that kind of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyMNIFZTQkg

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The X-man cometh posted:

I don't think he could get 11 shots off that quick before everyone scattered, unless he was using a low accuracy burst AR-15.

A lot of people, even cops, will just freeze up for at least a few seconds. Especially when you don't have any idea what's happening or where the shots are coming from.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Blazing Zero posted:

negotiator probably told him it was bringing water or something

Which would be legit funny if it was a water charge.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tai posted:

Looking at that household net worth chart, do blacks etc suffer from the white man keeping them down or is it a case of them having a chip on their shoulder and moan about being poor and doing nothing about it?

I lived in the states in various places for a few years. Granted the 'roughest' place I went to was Harlem but of my non white friends, they didn't mention anything about being 'kept down' and all of them had well paid jobs. I'm just curious if it's a similar thing to people in the UK where a good chunk of people who are poor spend more energy moaning about it then doing something about it. Hopefully this doesn't come off as too inflammatory. It's more curiousity then anything.

I don't know what the deal is.

My great great granddad got off the boat from Ireland with nothing. Like, literally nothing. Got treated like poo poo by everyone and just made illegal whiskey in the mountains. Two generations later my grandfather worked construction and traveled the U.S. doing it. My dad and I both joined the Army to pay for college. My dad went and became a teacher and I'm about to retire from the army and go back to college.

I'm not really sure where my "leg up" for being white that people claim we had/have is. Or perhaps I'm not even white?

The Kingfish posted:

its hard to get ahead when starting at a negative or zero. black schools suck and there are typically no good jobs in the area.

Yeah. Nobody has ever had to deal with that before.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hellsau posted:

So a drug dealer, a migrant worker, two generations of professional murderers? I mean if you want the oppressed inner city poor to escape the confines of poverty by manufacturing and distributing illegal substances that's probably not going to be a very popular opinion.

You mean killers.

Murder, by definition, would have to have been illegal. :smuggo:

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

lol an unironic bootstraps post, fuckin hell.

Do you even know your family history? I'm pretty sure everyone had to come from somewhere unless you're royalty. But I suppose a dumpster baby like you probably wouldn't know. :shrek:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dubplate Fire posted:

Maybe they should just stop being so black. Irish people like you and I have been considered white for like 50 years now.

It was a hard fight. But I'm glad we gained our civil rights.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dubplate Fire posted:

Where the gently caress can you live on minimum wage?

Lot's of places. Min wage is about 1100 bucks a month if you only work 40 hours.

Your biggest cost is going to be a livable apartment in a nice town with good schools (if you've got kids). But at min wage you'll be able to snag financial assistance and won't be paying income taxes. Plus there are orgs that will actually pay your rent/utilities for you in many cases.

A car is necessary too, but that can be had for a few hundred bucks if you aren't picky. I sold my 1987 honda civic with 250,000 miles for 300 dollars and it still runs great. Just no A/C and the paint job is messed up.

And then there's the whole thing about having a plan for your life. Like, where do you want to be in 5/10 years and plan backwards from that. But most people can't think past the end of their noses.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

hemophilia posted:

i live in a low income town in the cheapest part of the state without literally living in the west texas wasteland where there are literally no jobs unless you want to rustle cattle like an old timey villain and risk being hung in the town square by the county marshal. The ghettos of dallas are actually more expensive, but no 40 hour minimum wage does not meet my cost of living, and yeah there's no republican gay rear end stereotype to fall on here, rent a center is poison, i don't have tv, i have the cheapest internet that's available, i have a loving landline and pay as you go burner phones i've collected over the years to compensate for the times when i frequently still can't afford to pay internet/phone that month. Hope this helps you loving delusional retards.

Bless your heart. :911:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Millennial Sexlord posted:

How do you live on minimum wage? Get financial assistance of course!

Well yeah. I mean, that's what it's for. :shrug:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pawn shops are great if you want to buy jewelry or a playstation 4.

I got a nice diamond ring for 500 bucks that was 1200 at the legit jewelry store up the street. Also, PS4 games are all 10 bucks.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

etalian posted:

Also if the engagement doesn't work out you can tell your ex-fiance that you got the ring at a pawn shop.

Oh, I've been married forever. The ring was one of those with the diamonds actually in the band vs stuck on the top. My wife is a dr and poky rings are a nono.

radiatinglines posted:

I've been in several pawn shops and they have all been garbage. Just a bunch of poo poo burner phones, overpriced electronics, and stolen lawn and construction equipment.

I'm sorry your town has such crappy stores.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

Shows how racist and hypocritical the GOP and the NRA are imo - white militias 'protecting' their property? Fine. Black people trying to patrol their neighborhoods? Haha NOPE NOPE NOPE pass gun control!!!

Too bad all their leadership got COINTELPRO'd

The Democrats weren't exactly covering themselves with glory in the 60's either.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

Sure but at least the Dems aren't the party going 'FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS' about gun control no? Then the GOP and Reagan turn around and go 'YES gun control but only for black people.'

I don't think anyone had coined that phrase in the 60's. And the Democrats were the party of slavery and jim crowe until recently.

Also the NRA did support black people being able to defend themselves with guns against kkk (democrats at the time) violence.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 13, 2016

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

lol you're really getting pedantic

I'm so sad. You've made me cry.

Solice Kirsk posted:

When did the Dems and Republicans switch sides? It had to be very gradual, but what was the issue(s) that reversed the parties?

No, you see the republicans are bad and the democrats are good. It has always been thus. A two minute google search has shown me this.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm pedantic you guys. lol

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Cartouche posted:

We could cross those all out and replace them with
- Legalize all drugs and put production and distribution into government hands
- tax the hell out of them
- use the tax money to have better health care and addiction assistance

Yes. The politicians selling drugs are going to try to stop people from using them.

Unless, by addiction assistance, you mean handing them out to school kids.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Cartouche posted:

Wouldn't that make "legal" drugs more expensive than the untaxed, unregulated brand? Wouldn't that lead to most people just continuing to buy the illegal stuff?

Especially since law enforcement isn't even bothering with shutting down the illegal drug trade?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

We tax the hell out of cigs and alcohol as well, never seen a politician trying to get you to smoke more.

That's a different situation.

The poster I referred to said the government should handle production and sales of drugs. Not just tax them.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Cartouche posted:

Based on what exactly? Is there a set price on the street?

Nope. But I can't imagine the government being able to produce, sell, and regulate drugs leading to a drop in price.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dubplate Fire posted:

They would just need to regulate them, like any other potentially dangerous product.

I could care less about that. Bring it on.

We're just going to have to deal with the reduction in police forces across the nation.

Cartouche posted:

- Legalize all drugs and put production and distribution into government hands

But this is the statement I was responding to.

I can't even trust the government not to screw up my driver's license. Why would I want them running drug factories and stores?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

City of Tampa posted:

"you have some level of responsibility to put forth the barest minimum of effort to prevent your own poo poo from being stolen" is a pretty adult position to have actually

I lol'd. Like, if you don't lock your home it's a completely legal for someone to come in and take what they want?

Lord help you if you wear a short skirt too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

I could afford it, I'm just amazed that the costs are so high.

Dental insurance is garbage have you seen the terms? Fat deductibles, low 'max out' level, ugh. After you consider the cash discount most dentists will give you (usually at least 10% but I've gotten 20-25% off) it's just not even worth it.

I mean if you're expecting to have a lot of work done sure maybe.

I will agree with you completely here.

I have a family of 5 and we pay around 800 dollars a year for minimum coverage.

So far the only thing any of us have done at the dentist for the last 10 years is get cleanings every year. That's 70 dollars per cleaning 350 bucks a year. I've been talking to my wife and we're probably going to drop dental because we actually have the funds to cover braces for my one child who's going to need them in 7 years or so.

• Locked thread