Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

AugmentedVision posted:

because the game is actually pretty unfun and nobody would play it without the sunk cost fallacy aspect

Again, I have not played since high school, but i feel like the game is very fun and a good mix of strategy and luck. What I don't get or like is the high price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

eric posted:

When my friends and I played we'd print out copies of the good cards and glue them to basic lands and allow four per deck. Those games were fun and the cards were hilariously broken even 15 years ago.

there is no way you can shuffle the cards like that. they best way to pirate magic cards is with card sleeves, they hold the paper in just stick a normal magic card in with it loose.

i hope Shkreli crashes the MtG secondary market with his tom foolery. thats a bubble that has been waiting to burst for a long time!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the best thing for these people would be for someone to buy up the lynch pin of their collection so they can finally see that it is time to unload their entire set and move on from that game

i played it in 4th edition and it was a good game but i looked at the game again some time later and it looked retarded

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

gary oldmans diary posted:

the best thing for these people would be for someone to buy up the lynch pin of their collection so they can finally see that it is time to unload their entire set and move on from that game

i played it in 4th edition and it was a good game but i looked at the game again some time later and it looked retarded

Yeah the game got "retarded" when the designers finally figured out what they were doing, it was so much better when it was a giant loving mess, you stupid old gently caress

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
I am confused and therefore enraged.

poopnanners fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 17, 2016

synftw
Jun 14, 2007
Chaos-Gnostic Satanist

tenspott posted:

It's actually not foolproof because there's a really limited market for this poo poo and people will just say gently caress it and not buy from him.

He's making a market play on the assumption that the market will pay for these if squeezed, I think he could be right..

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

synftw posted:

He's making a market play on the assumption that the market will pay for these if squeezed, I think he could be right..

Yeah, I don't think the "price drops to $50" scenario is likely because most people who would be buying those cards in the first place will be invested enough in the game to take it that seriously.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
This is why I play Hearthstone.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
hearthstone is cool as a concept i guess but the game feels like app store free to play bullshit more than it does an actual game

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i knew a bunch of people that played yi-gi-oh in high school. they were weird.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
He is literally turning into Seto Kaiba.

I hope he builds a gigantic isolated island to have poor people dance to his tune, before finally being defeated in a karmic way, possibly by Bill Murray and the Wu-Tang Clan.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

AugmentedVision posted:

Yeah the game got "retarded" when the designers finally figured out what they were doing, it was so much better when it was a giant loving mess, you stupid old gently caress
Wha—huh???

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

AugmentedVision posted:

I would say it got a bit too streamlined in certain ways that are offputting to people who enjoyed earlier editions.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AugmentedVision posted:

your right, 4th edition sucked. they really hit their stride in urza block :twisted:

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
this is some weak wrist poo poo. Call me when Martin is cornering the Rembrandt market like a real baller.

No seriously, Martin is like the paulie shore of failed, washed out fund managers: A joke to even the rank amateurs.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

ArbitraryC posted:

I would say it got a bit too streamlined in certain ways that are offputting to people who enjoyed earlier editions.

aka grognard complaint

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Rutibex posted:

your right, 4th edition sucked. they really hit their stride in urza block :twisted:

Pretty much, I started at that time (4th) I didn't play for a long time and came back right as the new style borders happened for a stint during the reign of original Affinity in standard, quit playing right after Betrayers and came back around Scars of Mirridon oddly enough.

I got my fair share of pricey old stuff though, circa 2005 my sis got a bunch of Revised cards off a dude for around $50, pretty much 1 of every dual and playsets of a couple and two off's of several others. (was 4 Underground Seas but one got stolen a looong time ago.) I mostly play Modern now though. So I'm not particularly worried about this.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Was 4th edition before or after the big rule revision that made it so you didn't have to telepathically divine what the designers meant when they wrote the text on the card

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

AugmentedVision posted:

aka grognard complaint
Agreed

That's not even really true, sure the wording got better but lots of things are stupid with how much it sets off at a competitive level.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

AugmentedVision posted:

aka grognard complaint

Nah there's certain stuff like combat damage no longer using the stack and the modern emphasis on incredibly efficient and cheap beaters that are hard to deal with that I think are p legit complaints.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004

AugmentedVision posted:

Was 4th edition before or after the big rule revision that made it so you didn't have to telepathically divine what the designers meant when they wrote the text on the card

You're thinking of what became known as errata/oracle text. Don't know for sure when it started but now days you can look it up on their website and it'll tell you what the official wording is vs. what the card says. Some cases it matters as well.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

Nah there's certain stuff like combat damage no longer using the stack and the modern emphasis on incredibly efficient and cheap beaters that are hard to deal with that I think are p legit complaints.

So you want more cards that do nothing?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Nah I googled and I'm talking about the 6th edition overhaul. 4th edition apparently the stack didn't even exist? Lol ok I'm sure the game was great back then

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
For reference I was a competitive limited player up to about ravnica and even tho I stopped playing the game for other reasons when i later kinda checked back into it (some college friends were getting into it) the combat changes along with the design direction in balance was a pretty huge turnoff. I'm not saying it's an objectively worse game or anything it's just that a lot of the nuanced stuff I really enjoyed and was good at was taken out and replaced with bombs like goyf, people always complained about mtg being a pay to win game but I had all common/uncommon stuff I made from draft trash that could beat constructed netdecks just with solid play and combat gimmicks, the combat changes really made raw cost efficiency much more oppressive than it used to be.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004

AugmentedVision posted:

Nah I googled and I'm talking about the 6th edition overhaul. 4th edition apparently the stack didn't even exist? Lol ok I'm sure the game was great back then

Pretty much, I think they were kinda called "batches" then? Like a grouping of spells, but you could have multiple ones going on. It was kinda neat to see it evolve though. I was guessing you meant the 6th edition overhaul too.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

AbbadonOfHell posted:

So you want more cards that do nothing?

nah I just want combat damage to use the stack as that was a huge part of the game. I understand why they changed it (it made critters with sac effects a no brainer to play out, now there's a real choice) but it also removed a lot of other subtle decisions/tricks.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

AugmentedVision posted:

i could waste the time to google different editions of magic the gathering right now but you already outed yourself as the biggest dork
wipe your tears and carry on

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

nah I just want combat damage to use the stack as that was a huge part of the game. I understand why they changed it (it made critters with sac effects a no brainer to play out, now there's a real choice) but it also removed a lot of other subtle decisions/tricks.

I do feel you on that part of the complaint (also giving you hard time cause this is GBS after all) I got the vibe from the way you worded it that you thought they had "Portalfied" everything or something.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004

gary oldmans diary posted:

i could waste the time to google different editions of magic the gathering right now but you already outed yourself as the biggest dork

Lol, you guessed wrong chief.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
all of you are the biggest dork fyi

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
im pretty and smart

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

Tom Gorman posted:

this guy rules

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

all of you are the biggest dork fyi

I've accepted that I am hopeless

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
He coming for my nearmint uktabi orangutan collection

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

AugmentedVision posted:

You seem to give many fucks about the various editions of a collectable card game for children.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Back in the day phyrexian negator was overpowered even with its drawback. Phryrexian oblitorator is loving insane and the game is broken by overpowered cunts

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

i played mtg once with a friends deck and it was fun :)

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

AbbadonOfHell posted:

I do feel you on that part of the complaint (also giving you hard time cause this is GBS after all) I got the vibe from the way you worded it that you thought they had "Portalfied" everything or something.

Nah I don't think they made the game less deep or anything, there are different choices now but it's not objectively more or less complex, I just feel the changes they did make along with the balance decisions focusing more on "our players like critters" have created an environment where there are more objectively good 1/2/3 drops to play and they're harder to play around with jankier cards. Back when I played (and admittedly I mostly played limited, not standard) the most expensive rares were like 20 bucks and uncommons were like 5 because while those cards were good they were mostly only at their best utility in pro decks designed around using them, now poo poo has blown up because if you're willing to pay $$$ for goyfs or w/e it's gonna give you a huge advantage regardless of circumstance. When two top tier decks are facing off against each other it's as good as (or even better) of a game as it's ever been but the stuff they changed really mess with pauper and limited setups for the worse imo.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/bmkibler/status/605458025726361600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Tardcore posted:

lol it's ink on cardboard

• Locked thread