Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Tweak posted:

it also goes completely against wins/loses not mattering

Yeah, and this is the basis behind WWE booking mentality.

Rankings or points systems, as noted, are tough to pull off in a worked environment. Chikara's points system is simple-- win a fall (via pin/submission/countout/DQ), get a point; get three points, get a title shot; lose a fall, lose all points-- and not too hard to fudge to allow wrestlers or teams to accumulate points quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Spermgod posted:

Aren't UFC rankings considered to be mostly bullshit and also have almost no bearing on what fights get made anyway?

Yes, they still just book the matches that make money. Last PPV had I believe the #11 fighting the #2 and the #11 was favored and won.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Spermgod posted:

Aren't UFC rankings considered to be mostly bullshit and also have almost no bearing on what fights get made anyway?
They're not really bullshit, as the fighters are ranked by journalists and not the UFC. MMA journalists are incompetent though, so the rankings get a little wonky sometimes.

The rankings due go into how title fights are booked though. Championship contenders are usually in the top five of their division, and decided by their draw and availability. So if the number 2 guy is booked in January, but the champ wants to fight in February, the number 4 guy in the division whose schedule will allow him to take that fight could get the shot.

Also you can be Conor McGregor and make the UFC all the dollars and then you make your own rules.

So actually, yes, you are right.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

WCW did the rankings system for years before Bischoff took over control. I always thought they were goofy but fun but they never seemed to have any meaning or any relation to what had been going in in matches.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUg7oQCdVjM

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!

Skinty McEdger posted:

WCW did the rankings system for years before Bischoff took over control.
So did TNA.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gaz-L posted:

And one thing that wasn't super-obvious with the belt on the show but it has the same sideplate gimmick as the women's and top men's ones. Which means they now need to come up with a logo for TJP. Hopefully worse than Becky's.

A crossed-out fedora with a trillby next to it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
People hating TJP is pretty understandable(not to do with the outside stuff), since he took out four guys the crowd was really into in his last four matches. So they have a good setup there and should probably turn him heel.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Finally caught up to the finals. I was really glad Flat Affect Jr. got knocked out in the semis. I think TJ Perkins is going to be a great character addition to WWE. He wasn't the most talented guy in the tourney, but I think he'll be the most instant fit (out of the dudes in the semis) and he definitely made a fan out of me.

I'd say my breakout favorite was Jack Gallagher (I already loved Ibushi and Tozawa). I hope to see more of him!

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 15, 2016

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

TJP is cool and good, the purple belt is cool and good.

If you hate TJP you're just a Beta "Nice Guy"

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/TheBarrylad/status/776519856183181312

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jenkem Delivery posted:

TJP is cool and good, the purple belt is cool and good.

If you hate TJP you're just a Beta "Nice Guy"

I really hope they announce him as "Hailing from the Friend Zone..."

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I don't get it

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

AMReese posted:

I don't get it

TNA made him play a character from their video game. Not like motion capture for the game. His character was literally the generic main character of a video game come to life. In my mind, Suicide/Manik might be one of the worst costumes in wrestling history. It looked unwieldy and cheap as hell.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

AMReese posted:

I don't get it

Perkins was in TNA as a character called Suicide, who was meant to be a character made specifically for a TNA video game.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Oh, that was him? I've played the game some. I had no idea. I'm surprised TJ Perkins' move-set wasn't 100% Ki Krushers then.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

It should be noted that TJP hated the gimmick and went to twitter to say that he just wanted to be himself but they wouldn't let him. Which led to Josh Matthews trashing him on twitter and telling him to just quit. Which is why Josh is now being spammed with gifs and images of him with the belt.

Technically TJP was either the 3rd or 4th version of suicide the two other notable ones being Chris Daniels and Kazarian. Everyone who ever worked the gimmick hated it and the costume. It was never even remotely over with the crowd.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

AMReese posted:

Oh, that was him? I've played the game some. I had no idea. I'm surprised TJ Perkins' move-set wasn't 100% Ki Krushers then.

Originally it was Kazarian. Then when he got injured, it became Daniels. Then they retired the character. Then they brought it back (years after the game had been released) but Daniels and Kaz were too busy being awesome as Bad Influence, so they gave it to TJP,. Then they realised that Suicide wasn't a good name, so they renamed him Manik. Then at one point Aries was the character but only for one match so he could get the X-Division title and use Option C.

That was a mess.

Edit: Damnit, Skinty!

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I was talking about the game, not the Suicide gimmick itself. If you've never played the TNA game, your dude's finisher was the Ki Krusher for a long time, so you ended up having to use it a lot.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hoss Corncave posted:

Originally it was Kazarian. Then when he got injured, it became Daniels. Then they retired the character. Then they brought it back (years after the game had been released) but Daniels and Kaz were too busy being awesome as Bad Influence, so they gave it to TJP,. Then they realised that Suicide wasn't a good name, so they renamed him Manik. Then at one point Aries was the character but only for one match so he could get the X-Division title and use Option C.

That was a mess.

Edit: Damnit, Skinty!

It was also Akira Raijin/Kiyoshi/SUSHI

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Skinty McEdger posted:

It should be noted that TJP hated the gimmick and went to twitter to say that he just wanted to be himself but they wouldn't let him. Which led to Josh Matthews trashing him on twitter and telling him to just quit. Which is why Josh is now being spammed with gifs and images of him with the belt.

Technically TJP was either the 3rd or 4th version of suicide the two other notable ones being Chris Daniels and Kazarian. Everyone who ever worked the gimmick hated it and the costume. It was never even remotely over with the crowd.

TJP did at the same time get in trouble for DMing people on twitter with his story of fingering Angelina Love.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

I had no idea what this was and, uh, it's actually not the worst idea in the world and I'd like to see other feds rip it off?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
What were options A and B

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Basically when Aries was X-division champ going into destination x having cleared out the division he was given two choices: either continue to be x-division champ or vacate the belt and get a world title shot. Aries decided instead to go for "option c" which meant that every x-division champion from that point forward could get a world title shot by cashing in the belt at destination x.

Despite "option C" only really making sense to describe the choice Aries made that first year, in the years to come tna referred to the cash in at destination x as option c.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Deathlove posted:

I had no idea what this was and, uh, it's actually not the worst idea in the world and I'd like to see other feds rip it off?

It's basically just MITB but with a belt for small flipmens.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

does it not sort of devalue the flipmen's belt?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Tweak posted:

does it not sort of devalue the flipmen's belt?

I was kind of thinking that, as well, but I think if you put a limiter on it (have to hold the belt for X defenses/Y amount of time to show dominance), it could work. I'm thinking specifically of an Ibushi-Okada vibe where it's just Ibushi is CLEARLY the best junior sooooooooooooooooo what would happen if we did this match?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Deathlove posted:

I was kind of thinking that, as well, but I think if you put a limiter on it (have to hold the belt for X defenses/Y amount of time to show dominance), it could work. I'm thinking specifically of an Ibushi-Okada vibe where it's just Ibushi is CLEARLY the best junior sooooooooooooooooo what would happen if we did this match?

I was thinking similarly, but with Devitt and Okada. I just really like that angle where Devitt challenged Okada and Okada went "OK, but you gotta give my manager a shot at your belt first"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lid posted:

TJP did at the same time get in trouble for DMing people on twitter with his story of fingering Angelina Love.

Hey while it might be cool to say you shouldn't snitch, if she committed a crime then I applaud TJ for pointing her out to the authorities :colbert:

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Mark Andrews semi-recently got heat for turning down the Suicide costume.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
In the end, TJP won and despite how good his match with Ibushi was, it was still worse than both Cedric and Kendrick's matches with the same opponent. It stings that TJP was also worse than four of the people he eliminated from the tournament. The tournament was brilliant but someone who was nowhere near the best there winning takes the wind out of my sails a bunch.

It's like how Noam Dar got to the quarters when Gentleman Jack got taken out in the round of 16.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Skinty McEdger posted:

Basically when Aries was X-division champ going into destination x having cleared out the division he was given two choices: either continue to be x-division champ or vacate the belt and get a world title shot. Aries decided instead to go for "option c" which meant that every x-division champion from that point forward could get a world title shot by cashing in the belt at destination x.

Wait, what's the difference between B and C?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ice To Meet You posted:

Wait, what's the difference between B and C?

B is Aries saying he's too good for the X-belt and giving it up because he can't hold it and the world title. C is establishing something akin to the MITB or the old "IC champ is default #1 contender" rule.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Still sounds the same to me except for being slightly more event-specific, which is fitting with TNA's idea of creativity. It's like when WWE had those fan polls of whether a match should be No DQ, a Street Fight, or No Holds Barred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

rovert posted:

Mark Andrews semi-recently got heat for turning down the Suicide costume.

lmao

• Locked thread