Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

Not to mention everyone's favourite current wrestler AJ "The Gay Community!?!?!" Styles.

I dislike AJ Styles tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Everything about the tourney - from the promos to the selection of competitors and all the matches and the action we got out of it - all of this was pretty fantastic. Love a good wrestling tournament, especially if it can help build/re-set feuds (which they really touched on only with Ciampa and Gargano, but those were also the only two who had the opportunity to build on existing things so fair play to WWE here). This did a great job of showcasing most everybody, and I loved the "post-credit" sequences we got a couple times like with Cedric Alexander.

I guess the meta-meta thing to say is whoever was booking and agent'ing the matches did a great job, and they did a lot of cool new stuff with the production as well. One of the reasons I get tired of Raw, Smackdown and PPVs is the stale booking and agent'ing - and this shows that they're getting some new voices in that area as well.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Ice To Meet You posted:

The belt: it's bad.

Its way better than the other new belts though at least it has a unique plate.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Rovert probably knows the guys name, because it absolutely escapes me now, but the production was done by the guy who is to HHH what Kevin Dunn is to Vince. It was pretty much a show done by the people who would theoretically be HHH's inner circle when there's a changing of the guard, and it makes a lot of sense for them to get opportunities to work together before they find themselves on the big stage.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I wonder what they'll do with guys who are clearly cruiserweights but already booked as heavyweight competitors like Sami Zayn and Neville?

I know at least Neville was treated at the Draft as explicitly being drafted by Steph as the anchor of the Cruiserweight division. I would imagine Zayn would stay in the main division, though I could be wrong.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I wonder what they'll do with guys who are clearly cruiserweights but already booked as heavyweight competitors like Sami Zayn and Neville?

Extending to NXT Austin Aries could and should own this division.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/SoDuTw/status/776236834762461184

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
Can't wait for Daniel Bryan and Shane McMahon to unveil the Smackdown Cruiserweight title this Tuesday, and the only people in the division are Simon Gotch, Aiden English and one of the Usos.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

punchdaily posted:

Can't wait for Daniel Bryan and Shane McMahon to unveil the Smackdown Cruiserweight title this Tuesday, and the only people in the division are Simon Gotch, Aiden English and one of the Usos.

Kalisto's on Smackdown!

And one thing that wasn't super-obvious with the belt on the show but it has the same sideplate gimmick as the women's and top men's ones. Which means they now need to come up with a logo for TJP. Hopefully worse than Becky's.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Vaguido posted:

According to Big Dave, Metalik was very unlikely to win, not only because of the language barrier, he still has dates in Mexico, so he won't be available on a consistent basis for Raw right away, even though he is signed.

I would've loved to see Ibushi vs. ZSJ but it was still really good and fun. TJP getting beat on by Metalik because he wouldn't sell and also Miz'd him on the dive was hilarious.

Meltzer burying TNA for their mishandling of the X-Division was great. They really could have been doing poo poo like this (or even better!) for years, but didn't.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The_Rob posted:

I love that Zack showed off his vicious side tonight. He just looked mean In the ring.
It definitely put over the tourney that he kept it in his pocket for the finals, but otoh it would have elevated his earlier matches

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It didn't hurt that it looked like he hadn't shaved yesterday. Helped dull the twink vibe.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Gaz-L posted:

Kalisto's on Smackdown!

And one thing that wasn't super-obvious with the belt on the show but it has the same sideplate gimmick as the women's and top men's ones. Which means they now need to come up with a logo for TJP. Hopefully worse than Becky's.

Sun and stars coming for that belt, making it the coveted item for every Pinoy wrestling fan.

That or his lame TJP logo from the shirt he wore last night. It will probably be this because Raw is the lowest effort show.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

as soon as he sees HHH hired a bunch of flippy midget twerps behind his back, Braun defeats the entire division in a handicap match
Booking TJP to win was Vince's Political Hit, Braun's gonna get nuclear face heat when he squashes the champ

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Why come Ellsworth not win?

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Marquis de Pyro posted:

heath slater, accused of sexual assault: the coolest character ever, #1 babyface, I love this guy

steve austin, wife beater: hell yeah, give me a steveweiser, stone cold!

tj perkins, made a dumb tweet: gently caress this piece of poo poo.

by demonstrating that nobody gives a poo poo about a wrestler's private life if they're entertaining on television and in the ring, you have proven that TJP's detractors have issues with his performance as an entertainer and nothing else. good point. i agree.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMtx9s9RTmc

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
the belt looks like it wasn't finished yet and was waiting to have some color in the plates. that's my problem with it

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

My problem with it is that it looks like an EVOLVE title

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

despite watching most Evolve shows I legitimately don't have a mental image off the top of my head of what an Evolve belt looks like but that's probably true subconsciously

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Triple H should interrupt matches as they are about to start and present people with purple titles more often, really.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

oatgan posted:

My problem with it is that it looks like an EVOLVE title

I get that they're using multiple strap colours to make them more distinct, but it looks like it's made of purple plastic.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Triple H should interrupt matches as they are about to start and present people with purple titles more often, really.

The original Attitude era Intercontinental Championship was purple, so it's just another case of HHH trying to relive his glory days.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Watched the CWC finale with my girlfriend, who doesn't care for it but lets me have my eccentricity of watching this (she also loves Nakamura, who she only refers to as "leather pants").

At the end of it her two favourites were Cedric Alexander and TJ Perkins, she doesn't get lucha libre in contrast to "just hit them" and she liked TJ (and ZSJ to an extent) for going out of their way to make things look like they hurt and TJ more so for telling a story of attacking limbs. Cedric was because he was so loving fast and spectacular.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
As someone who didn't watch every episode I was actually surprised to see how many people hate TJP. I didn't watch all of his matches, but he never really came off as a heel to me. Plus I liked that the underdog won in the end, which made the whole thing even more shocking.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

JT Smiley posted:

As someone who didn't watch every episode I was actually surprised to see how many people hate TJP. I didn't watch all of his matches, but he never really came off as a heel to me. Plus I liked that the underdog won in the end, which made the whole thing even more shocking.

Yeah as much as I've been beating the "TJP would make a great heel" drum, I was surprised by how he was getting booed at points last night. The crowd still loved his victory, but I wonder if it would've been even more explosive with another winner

As far as the underdog point, I think part of what makes it weird is like, there are two main things contributing to TJP being an underdog: his hardscrabble homelessness story, and the fact that he was a smaller international name than Ibushi or ZSJ. But he doesn't wrestle like an underdog at any point - he's a 15-year veteran with a good physique, a very confident attitude, a lot of very crisp offense, a decent array of power moves, and a strategy that focuses on isolating a specific body part. If someone just watched the matches and didn't have any context on names and reputations, I feel like they'd be hard-pressed to identify TJP as an underdog in any meaningful way

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
I have a feeling TJP will be a cocky heel on the main roster. He already wrestles like one. I think they had a story they wanted to tell with TJP, like having him have a chip on his shoulder for not winning or something and then Ibushi and ZSJ refused to sign, so they had no choice to put him on top.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I find it interesting just how sports-like the presentation of this was, more so than WWE proper or NXT for that matter. They didn't force storylines or lean heavily into face or heel roles, it was an interesting change of pace. Hopefully the WWE will continue to find room for stuff that's unlike its core product- if they're not going to have any significant competition for a while they may as well offer variety on their own.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I mean like if I have one criticism of the CWC its that the stories they were telling around the matches and the stories they told in the matches were two distinct things. TJP wrestled like a heel in his matches but was portrayed as soon as the matches stopped as the baby face underdog despite not working that way. Brian Kendrick was this big inspirational feel good story that people were hugging and shaking his hand after each match, but he cheated like a motherfucker. I don't even think it was a big deal, but it was notable and jarring at points.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens when they get a new creative team on Raw and how they're used and portrayed then. I can understand as well not wanting to establish the characters and alignments in too much depth when the bookers they had then aren't necessarily going to be the ones they get now on the big stage.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I'm sure it'll never happen but it'll be amazing if the cruiserweight division was just a ranking and the matches were solely to go up and down in the rankings.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There was confluence between the in- and out-of-ring stories that Kendrick was telling, though, the weepy face promos played into his underhanded ringwork. TJP just wasn't telling a story

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

spongeh posted:

I'm sure it'll never happen but it'll be amazing if the cruiserweight division was just a ranking and the matches were solely to go up and down in the rankings.

Didn't TNA try to do something like this and it failed miserably because TNA?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

P-Mack posted:

Honestly, I think it would be really hard to do effectively in a worked environment. Not impossible, but difficult. I don't think WWE would do it well.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

it also goes completely against wins/loses not mattering

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

P-Mack posted:

I imagine anything that detailed will be hard for pro wrestling because wrestling works best when it's simple. Plus there's always the temptation to gently caress around with things and break your own logic because you need this particular wrestler at the #1 slot even if you previously booked them to lose too much and they can't get there in the time that you need, etc.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

spongeh posted:

I don't watch much UFC anymore, but I do like the fact they have ranks within the divisions and that's how the system works. Could definitely work for the cruisers and make their division a bit different to the others.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Aren't UFC rankings considered to be mostly bullshit and also have almost no bearing on what fights get made anyway?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

more wrestling promotions need the Paragon Pro point system

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

If someone just watched the matches [...] I feel like they'd be hard-pressed to identify TJP [...] in any meaningful way

I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Maxwell Lord posted:

I imagine anything that detailed will be hard for pro wrestling because wrestling works best when it's simple. Plus there's always the temptation to gently caress around with things and break your own logic because you need this particular wrestler at the #1 slot even if you previously booked them to lose too much and they can't get there in the time that you need, etc.

I feel like the other danger of a system like that is if you book someone to lose enough times that they hit the bottom of the rankings. If someone loses a few fights in UFC, they get cut and that's completely on them. If someone's at the bottom of a worked ranking... that's because you as the booker put them there deliberately. WWE already has enough problems with churn and apathy in its undercard without an official ranking saying "this guy is bad, in fact he is worse than everyone else he competes against"

There are definitely ways to mitigate that, but I'm not sure I'd trust RAW booking to keep half its cruiserweights from slipping into bottom-of-the-rankings hell, and you can only run the inspirational clawing-his-way-up-from-the-bottom angle so many times

• Locked thread