Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Im really digging this games aesthetic. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

thecluckmeme posted:

This game looks fantastic and its ambience seems to be just enthralling, but man, Bacter, you gotta shut up more.

Upon review, the survey team agrees. I've got the next episode recorded, I'm about to do some commentary, and we'll see how it goes - lord knows I have trouble not yammering on for two seconds.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Well, as luck would have it, I was fightin' off a cold when this was recorded, so that kind of kept my commentary down by itself!

It does occur to me that I need a consistent name for the money. Anybody have a good suggestion? So far I've called them pennies, #2s, numerals... I think that's it. My favorite suggestion WILL BE CANON.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Seeing how they are pieces of a whole, my mind drifted to "pieces of eight" and my first idea was "pieces of four", but then I thought Doubloons after seeing how you referred to them as #2s.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

I was going to refer to them as "gold", and I know a bunch of people just call them "upgrades," but

Mraagvpeine posted:

Seeing how they are pieces of a whole, my mind drifted to "pieces of eight" and my first idea was "pieces of four", but then I thought Doubloons after seeing how you referred to them as #2s.

History note: The 2 escudo coin, or doubloon, was also worth 32 real. The "pieces of eight" refers to the half-escudo / 8 real coin, the old Spanish dollar. So oddly enough, the exchange rate is 4 dollars to a doubloon. The same is true of our gold upgrade pieces.

That II might be deliberate, I'm not sure. But I'd say call the little ones dollars and the big ones doubloons.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
The "correct" name for the sparkly gubbins is "gearbits"

My first playthrough I called em "Gemini modules" because I'm a giant pylon.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bacter posted:

My favorite suggestion WILL BE CANON.

I suggest the currency to be named "CANON".

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Skippy Granola posted:

The "correct" name for the sparkly gubbins is "gearbits"

My first playthrough I called em "Gemini modules" because I'm a giant pylon.

That's incredible. Though dubloons will probably roll off the tongue a bit easier.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I went programming nerdy and thought four Bits to a Nibble(Which itself is 1/2 of a Byte)

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
My thought was Chips and Circuit Boards. Likewise, the diamonds pretty clearly felt to me like 'power cores' since they make doors open and things in the center city light up.

I have a comment to the bad about those disease-goop smackdown hallucinations, but i feel like it would be a little spoilers to say it now before you see another. This comment is mostly just to remind myself :v:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Call them Deuces. "Just gonna pick up a deuce here"

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

Call them Deuces. "Just gonna pick up a deuce here"

Yeah, gently caress "Gemini Modules" - I'm gonna call em deuces from now on regardless.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Look, we need four of them to make one spendable unit, so they are obviously quarters.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Alright, I reserve the right to change this, but I think dubloons for the pieces and deuces for for the spendable units is the winner thus far!

LPs push us as gamers, sometimes just to get good enough to be entertaining, sometimes to slow down, or learn more about a game, or to try thing we haven't done before.

I'm proud to say I've joined the ranks of the top 5.4% of Hyper Light Drifters in this incredibly boring stunning video. I hope this sets the tone for a real world-class rest of this LP.

Music is "Innocent Deception", available from OCRemix.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 23, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

You said you wanted people to flag any secrets you'd missed; you've gone past two that I know of.

The first is in the area with the titan's corpse, just before the :pcgaming: NINJA FROG HELL PARTY :pcgaming: there's a switch on this platform here, you should see it if you lean over

The second is, well, you're going to kick yourself.

You can dash to and walk on this little ledge right here.

Couple of other things: you said some of the outfits have no gameplay effect. I think the community has now positively identified a bonus for each outfit (there's a list here, though obviously it's spoilers). The orange kit you just picked up reduces the recharge time for grenades,

Also, this is just my preference, but I probably would have gone for the grenades before the charge attack. I never had much luck using the charge in the middle of the mob- the charge time is fast, but if you're mobbed it's not fast enough, which means it's only really good against big tough enemies you can bait out (like those bastarding cat samurai things in the west, or the crystal golems)- the grenades are so much more useful at clearing out groups, and those sorts of fights are far more common.

Also also, projectile-immunity-while-dashing is a mug's game. Batting ninja stars back at their owners- that's the real hyper light drifting. :colbert:

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Ahhh I feel so dumb about missing that one - there's even the little square indicating what it does!

There was one specific reason I went for big sword before grenades - I've found it to be more effective against bosses, and we're about to tangle with big frog, but as far as everyday utility, yeah I agree grenades are SO GOOD.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

I actually made my way through pretty much the entire game without using grenades at all or even buying one. I also never bought any of the 'special attacks' and didn't use guns much at all until i found the shotgun (as late as i could have possibly found it, no less) It was pretty much the charge attack, shielded dash, and projectile reflection for me the whole time. I feel like this game does have quite a bit of flexibility to it in terms of viable playstyles though.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

There's few things as satisfying as batting a bullet back in some mug's dumb face, then dashing in and swording him a new hello-hole while he's still reeling.

drat this is a good game.

Anyway, grenades are one of those things where they're really handy if you're new and need some breathing room, but a skilled player can probably get by on wits alone. That said it's handy for taking off a couple early ticks of health from a boss.

Speaking of which, Bacter, I challenge thee - next time you record, make it a point to never have full ammo for one session. Adding guns to your combos looks super cool, and is really effective.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I found this game much more enjoyable with a controller. The drifting an the shooting gets a bit tougher, (You sure can't cheat at the drift challenge like that.) but the combat feels way more dynamic. I found it a bit more fair to have to actually aim, rather than clicking on enemies with a mouse button.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Skippy Granola posted:

Speaking of which, Bacter, I challenge thee - next time you record, make it a point to never have full ammo for one session. Adding guns to your combos looks super cool, and is really effective.

the shotgun is excellent for this, which is why it is my favorite gun

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Conversely, I don't think I really ever used it at all - I was all about that railgun and 'nades. So this is a good challenge!

And not at all delayed by the fact that The KR0 finally meant what they said and released their latest update!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Heck man a point-blank shardgun blast can take out some of the larger enemies in one go. It's amazing

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Bacter posted:

I'm proud to say I've joined the ranks of the top 5.4% of Hyper Light Drifters in this incredibly boring stunning video. I hope this sets the tone for a real world-class rest of this LP.

Now do it with a controller :v:

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Skippy Granola posted:

Heck man a point-blank shardgun blast can take out some of the larger enemies in one go. It's amazing

If I'm remembering right it actually does even more damage than the charge attack, which is already one of the most damaging single attacks in the whole game

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

omeg posted:

Now do it with a controller :v:

"Fun" fact about that video - I didn't actually intend to crash immediately after leaving the dashcircle: I was like ok, let's just dash regular, using the mouse to guide me.

And instantly crashed. Recording tonight!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Einwand posted:

I beat and 100% this game, excepting NG+, before any of the patches came out, and wish to confirm that soccer goblin was by far the worst part of the game. There wasn't even an achievement for it at the time, either.

Beating the soccer goblin and realizing there was no achievement was the low point of my life so far.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 23, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Bacter posted:

Beating the soccer goblin and realizing there was no achievement was the low point of my life so far.

I didn't find the soccer that hard. If you aim just right, you can consistently score goals from the point where the ball spawns. If you explode the goal post first and hit it at just the right angle with a charged attack the goalie never manages to reach it. You can see it quite well here. Full disclosure, I played the game just a few days after it was released. That cheese tactic might have been disabled by now.

It's way less cheaty than using the mouse for the drift challenge.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 21, 2016

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
i've heard of this game but I've never seen much of it before now. Kind of thinking of getting it to play through for myself but I know I'm so poo poo at games that I'd get frustrated and give up really soon into it.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Air is lava, you're going to have to let go of your destructive and obsessive notion that I somehow CHEATED at that challenge eventually. I'm worried for you.

AS FOR THE REST OF US:

TIME

TO

TOAD

:pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming:

(ttt)

PLEASE NOTE

The use of music to introduce this Toadboss is just... it's just about my favorite musical score. I'll discuss it in depth in a day or so, but just note I'd HIGHLY recommend having on headphones when I enter the boss chamber to fully get the effect.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 23, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Bacter posted:

Air is lava, you're going to have to let go of your destructive and obsessive notion that I somehow CHEATED at that challenge eventually. I'm worried for you.

Hehe. No big deal. It barely keeps me awake at night. :v:

I really like the design of this big old frog. He looks great.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

SWMadness posted:

i've heard of this game but I've never seen much of it before now. Kind of thinking of getting it to play through for myself but I know I'm so poo poo at games that I'd get frustrated and give up really soon into it.

I'd encourage you to, actually. Part of my thing is that I'm Bad At Videogames (and I make no bones about it, I did NOT beat Mr. Toad on my first try the first time I played through, but retrying isn't too frustrating. Unless it's the Western Boss or Soccer Goblin.

Air is lava! posted:

I really like the design of this big old frog. He looks great.

Agreed! He's both of the enemy types combined into one. Which leaves you with the question - who's REALLY in charge? Is this a parasitic plant driving a big 'ol toad? A big 'ol toad who got even bigger and stronger through getting plant infected?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Something to note about that boss is that it's possible to get them stuck in a loop. If you bait out that ground pound you mentioned that they use if you get too close, you can dodge it, get some attacks in, dodge another, and just repeat this until you win without it ever using any of its other attacks or moving.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The eastern zone's gigatoad is by far the easiest boss of the game, so of course I went west->north>east when I played through. It also gives the best overall weapon in the game, 2nd best if you count a weapon you can only get pretty much at the end of the game.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Ok, I guess all the zones got opened at some point? Because I SWEAR the western and southern zones were protected by those directional blocks when I first beat the game. Which, you know, given the Western boss isn't a bad idea.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Bacter posted:

Ok, I guess all the zones got opened at some point? Because I SWEAR the western and southern zones were protected by those directional blocks when I first beat the game. Which, you know, given the Western boss isn't a bad idea.

No. The only zone which was closed at the start was the southern one. Guess who did west first. I was kinda stuck there for a while.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The eastern zone looks to me like some sort of pumping station in the old world. Lots of pipes and pumps and vents for this purple flame. The stoat guys seem to have built themselves a temple on top of it before the frogs invaded. I presume the plants are plants that adapted to the volatile chemicals the station continues to be pumping.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

So I see we've now constructed a Skippy Granola and, in time, we'll be constructing more.

Fighting this boss in the demo is what cemented for me that this was going to turn out great. It's a beautiful set-piece, and it doesn't take too long to piece together "wait, those explode, what if I do this?" Plus, that music. Really all the music and sound design in this game is great, but the boss intros are top notch.

Also, yes, the Shotgun is here! Do you know the weapon swap "bug" by any chance? It makes shotgun combos amazing.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Man this game looks great! Thanks for doing this, Bacter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I think you can jump down at 1:20, the path is just obscured by perspective. I may be wrong though.

• Locked thread