Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Apparently there's a PS4 port incoming "mid 2016" so thanks to this 45 minutes of video I am gonna be all over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So the PS4 version dropped and I snapped it up mostly because of the first few videos in this LP.

Anything I should know going in?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I've got chain dash, a grenade and more ammo for the shotgun holy gently caress I love the shotgun.

Thoughts:

On reflection, the chain dash is bad. Like, the actual mechanics of the thing are bad. It is a fight to get it to work and messing it up infuriates you and teaches you nothing. It is the opposite of video games. It doesn't seem to have combat applications (yet), so right now it's only good for the most infuriating platform runs I've yet seen, or dashing around in a circle for several real life minutes for some reason.

Navigation is a pain. The map looks like it should be straightforward but is often misleading, not least because there is an icon that looks like it's showing your location but actually just shows where you'll respawn if you die (which might be where you entered the room, or it might not be). It doesn't seem to do anything useful like mark doors you haven't opened or stuff you haven't picked up, and it looks like it's filling up with modules I have picked up, which is, like, the opposite of what it should be doing. Please tell me that at some point I will be able to see stuff on the map.

Does the dash have I-frames? I can't quite tell. It seems like it shouldn't but sometimes I seem to dash into bullets and not take damage? I don't have any dash upgrades besides chain.

The actual moment-to-moment playable part of the game is pretty great and that and the atmosphere is why I'm here, so this is going to be one of those games where I complain a lot but only out of ~love~.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The credits rolled and I still have thoughts. Obviously many of them are going to wait until later in this thread, but for the time being;

Oh my god the shotgun. I thought I appreciated it before I had every other weapon in the game. I really tried them all. I gave them all a fair shake. But no. It always came back to the shotgun. Only the last, greatest, most secretest gun in the game comes close to making a more compelling case for combat applications, and even then. A properly done shotgun should always be the best weapon in a videogame with mostly conventional guns (and even in some with unconventional guns) and Hyper Light Drifter certainly delivers on this requirement.

I have now fully solidified my belief that the map is garbage. It is liquid rear end. Related;

Even by the usual standards of games that make you do this kind of thing, gently caress hunting down the one last whatever. Especially keys. The monoliths weren't so bad because at least they are all uniquely tracked in-game so when you finally break down and look at a map to find the one of sixteen of the things you couldn't find because it's in a marked-in-a-heretofore-unknown way secret passage in a pitch-black room you can easily tell which one it is. Gearbits are annoying but unless you're really serious about trophies you only need to find 160 of the 186 of them in the game (it strikes me as odd that you end up with two bits left over) (I Platinum'd Final Fantasy XIII but I will not Platinum Hyper Light Drifter, and Gearbits isn't even why). But double-secret gently caress looking for keys. It has been a solidly held belief of mine that all games that will eventually hold you to finding all of some hidden thing should eventually start offering concessions so that players aren't faced with rechecking the entire map for something they may have missed. HLD doesn't even offer a collectible counter per area.

Having a trophy for finishing the game without dying is baffling. Dying already constitutes checkpoint reloading in HLD, so this proves absolutely nothing about players except their ability to back out to the main menu in order to savescum. I don't understand how devs keep on doing dumb trophy stuff like this after the things have been around for ten years.

The enemy type balancing in this game is goddamn near perfect. Every area has a nifty little ecosystem of small, medium and large enemies, any of which are trivial to fight one-on-one and all of which combo with all others in interesting ways in clusterfuck melees. Only the poo poo-tier swarm enemies feel weak and that's only when you disregard the swarm; anyone else will gently caress you up in seconds if you take your eye off the ball. The best part is none of the enemies from any area are completely incompatible, balance wise, with any other enemy, as one certain part of the game demonstrates.

The only enemy I don't really like is the giant bug things from East. Their charge attacks seem really inconsistent in range, and it's bullshit that when they teleport in they can come out charging before their sprite even appears.

I don't understand why there aren't I-frames when you take damage. There are situations in which taking a single hit basically means death. A few areas put you in a literal Sonic 1 Spikes situation. What a horrifyingly bad design choice.

Having to dash 800 times in a row is one of the single dumbest challenges I've ever seen in a videogame. The chain dash has no real utility beyond the second or so dash. The dash chamber is the only place in the entire game where you even can do more than twenty without resting; what is the point of proving you can do this? That entire room should have been removed from the game and the costume put somewhere else.

I don't see what everyone found so hard about the Soccer Goblin :smug:

Fedule fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 5, 2016

• Locked thread