Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Too dang excited about that ol' HLD, I guess.

I just picked this up on account of I got tricked by thinking God Eater Resurrection is a good game, so I'll be playing along to banish the foul taste of lovely anime Monster Hunter ripoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

The art, especially in the opening cutscene, are really reminiscent of the ol' French SNES adventure platformers a la Another World and Flashback. Really nice to see pixel art in an indie game that is actually nice-looking.

Also, this game is BONKERS HARD, yo! I'm having a terrible time!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

You think it's like Shadow of the Colossus where the further we progress the more we invite corruption?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

The "correct" name for the sparkly gubbins is "gearbits"

My first playthrough I called em "Gemini modules" because I'm a giant pylon.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

Call them Deuces. "Just gonna pick up a deuce here"

Yeah, gently caress "Gemini Modules" - I'm gonna call em deuces from now on regardless.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

There's few things as satisfying as batting a bullet back in some mug's dumb face, then dashing in and swording him a new hello-hole while he's still reeling.

drat this is a good game.

Anyway, grenades are one of those things where they're really handy if you're new and need some breathing room, but a skilled player can probably get by on wits alone. That said it's handy for taking off a couple early ticks of health from a boss.

Speaking of which, Bacter, I challenge thee - next time you record, make it a point to never have full ammo for one session. Adding guns to your combos looks super cool, and is really effective.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Heck man a point-blank shardgun blast can take out some of the larger enemies in one go. It's amazing

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Bacter posted:

Keep eyes peeled for upgrades, especially at first. The last few upgrades won't matter as much as the first few will - get chain dash, and PROBABLY a grenade first two.

I dunno, chain dash is less useful to survivability than the bullet deflection sword skill. Ranged folks can really irk you until you learn the dash timing and distance. Ymmv of course

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

You guys are forgetting there's a market for capital H Hard Games - apparently this is the hill they want to die on, fun and accessibility be damned.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and was able to get through it with some stubbornness but every changelog smacks of kowtowing to prideful nerds.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Tbf they brought it back in the second and also in bloodborne but that's beside the point. I take your meaning.

What I meant to say is there's a subset of gamer who takes any quality of life improvement as mollycoddling. Not that hard games can't also mitigate tedium.

Unlike Furi. Bacter if you like hard games, try the boring loving slog that is Furi

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Everything is a mattress of HP, there are no lulls, and it over stays its welcome. It gets tiresome really quick

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Show some respect. Ol' Snapper has a medical degree from Uruguay

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

There are about 182 quarter doubloons in the game. That is enough to buy every available upgrade with 6.5 doubloons left over.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

The basic blaster has like 9 shots when upgraded, more than enough to stagger and/or kill anything but bosses. Still pretty viable in the endgame if you're OK at aiming and have fast hands

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Every firearm is beautiful in its own way :allears:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Let's go with coolbot this time, on account of having the best hair.

I agree. Vape-o-tron 3000 because the dashslash is hoelarious

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

No no, otter sensei has the slash and dash. Coolbot has the dash and slash.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Gee, I really liked the west. My first playthrough accidentally went really well - I happened to choose at random the optimal path for collecting major modules, and had an ok time with the boss of this one.

I also just like the whole crystal aesthetic - the fact that the enemies are immediately aggressive indicates to me that they weren't frozen against their will, instead they're just biding time until some hapless schmuck blunders into their woods.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Dang, hardest part of that arena was the drat dogs. I swear 80% of the hits I took were due to their weird attack timing and zero windup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Dang man sounds like you got yourself a little bit of Black Death going on.

Have you been seeing any be-haloed jackals around?

Anyway, I didn't mind the south that much. It's a decent masterclass with some solid encounter design, even if it feels a bit like a mishmash.

• Locked thread