Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm trying to piece together what we can learn from that intro and what we've seen so far.

We open with this thing, this diamond-shaped ritual carving or whatever it is, which seems to directly lead to the cataclysm. It's a really pale pink or light purple light.

Then we see our protagonist (who I suspect is some sort of robot, given the static effects and weird sort of autotuned coughing sound effect it makes when it coughs) facing the embodiment of its disease as this purple diamond-faced horned monstrosity thing.

Then we move to our hero trying to obtain this diamond thing, which looks a fair bit like the objectives we're collecting which Bacter is calling "major modules".

As we reach for it this symbol flashes on the screen.

And it's replaced by this "corrupted" diamond. There's more purple, and we see it split into the four triangle sections, just like the major modules we're collecting are. Seconds later our hero is overwhelmed by the dark tendrils.

After the tutorial section we meet this thing. It clearly seems to be the same diamond-faced horned entity from the intro. Fortunately we're saved by that knight guy. All is well. But what's this in our knight friend's house?

Huh.

They're in a few other places around town too. Notably in the sword trainer's house, where they are set up as training dummies to practice fighting against. Huh.

Later we meet our knight friend again, who talks about how he found a white diamond that looks a lot like the one we saw our hero trying to get in the intro cutscene.

But he also talks about fighting a purple-diamond-branded monstrosity, I assume he means he fought this shortly after fighting the diamond, but maybe the monstrosity IS the diamond.

This diamond symbol is clearly bad news, and it's tied in with the major modules we're collecting, and the symbol that is slowly lighting up in the center of town when we collect them. All in all, I'm wondering how good an idea it is to be doing what we're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm really not sure, all I have is this one update to go off of so far, but I'm interested to see more. SOMETHING's going to happen when we collect all these modules and light up the center diamond.

Also if the player character IS a robot that raises the question of who built it and for what purpose, but I've no idea whether the game ever answers these questions.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'd just like to remind everyone that Bacter says he's good at this game.

fullammo.gif

"For someone who's done 800 dashes, no big deal!"

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You mentioned that it would be possible to beat the whole game without upgrades, but do you ever need the multi-dash for that?

There's at least some major modules I know that require it, (see: 19:30 in the NG+ video) and some of those boss attacks would be awful to dodge without it.

• Locked thread