Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

You said you wanted people to flag any secrets you'd missed; you've gone past two that I know of.

The first is in the area with the titan's corpse, just before the :pcgaming: NINJA FROG HELL PARTY :pcgaming: there's a switch on this platform here, you should see it if you lean over

The second is, well, you're going to kick yourself.

You can dash to and walk on this little ledge right here.

Couple of other things: you said some of the outfits have no gameplay effect. I think the community has now positively identified a bonus for each outfit (there's a list here, though obviously it's spoilers). The orange kit you just picked up reduces the recharge time for grenades,

Also, this is just my preference, but I probably would have gone for the grenades before the charge attack. I never had much luck using the charge in the middle of the mob- the charge time is fast, but if you're mobbed it's not fast enough, which means it's only really good against big tough enemies you can bait out (like those bastarding cat samurai things in the west, or the crystal golems)- the grenades are so much more useful at clearing out groups, and those sorts of fights are far more common.

Also also, projectile-immunity-while-dashing is a mug's game. Batting ninja stars back at their owners- that's the real hyper light drifting. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Fedule posted:

It doesn't seem to have combat applications

The combat application of the chain dash, such as it is, isn't so much in the actual chaining as it is in the removal of the cooldown between dashes. You're never going to need to chain three or more dashes in a fight- the arenas just aren't that big. Sometimes, though, you'll find yourself in a position where just the one dash isn't quite enough to get you clear.

Goggle Fox posted:

The thing I still find weird about that is, I could swear in demos I played before release, the dash had i-frames. Not through the whole dash, but there was a portion where you wouldn't get hit if an attack crossed your dash, just at the start of it. I'm not sure if my memory was bad or if they took it out later, only to re-add it; if it's the latter I'm at a loss as to why, even that tiny bit of leeway makes combat much smoother.

They re-added it because people complained, I'm almost certain. To be honest, though, I think it was a mistake. The game's combat mechanics all work together to punish you for acting hastily or without thought, and the lack of iframes played into that. Without iframes, you need the understand the situation well enough to say with certainty when you need to get out of dodge, what areas are safe to dash to and whether or not you have a clear path to get there. With iframes, you can be more cavalier with all of that. It's not a huge change, it's not like the dash is end-to-end iframes now, I just don't think it was a necessary edition. Call me a purist, I guess. Or a masochist :v:

I think I'm going to withhold comment on the plot/lore until we've been through all of the areas. Especially south.

• Locked thread