Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

3rd party voters are one of a dozen reasons Hillary lost a really close election. They aren't the reason this election was close and not an electoral landslide against noted wretched human being Donald J. Trump.

This is loving dumb.

3rd party voters never cost someone an election. Being a lovely candidate that people wouldn't vote for is what cost them an election.

Also, 3rd parties are not a black hole where your vote disappears. Or did I miss the part where the Whigs and Tories are still running the show in the US?

The majority of the US voting population is a mass of drooling retards who are too loving lazy to actually think beyond option A or B. Thats not a two party system. Thats lovely voters. I said it before and still stand by it. 90% of Americans don't deserve the right to vote because they aren't willing to actually do the proper research into the people they vote for. They look at the initial in parentheses and choose the one their preferred news agency says didn't screw them.

This country is a loving embarrassment and its because of the dumb bullshit about being a 2 party system and pure laziness that voters exhibit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I was shocked btw at how many people chimed in that they didn't vote after election day.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
The good old fashioned competitive spirit is what ruins politics, that and 25 years of Rush Limbaugh and CO spouting off about the drat LIEBERALS. People view it as a sporting event where nothing matter except for your team winning.

I vote third party down ticket when there is a compelling candidate, but around here they are usually fat open carry Libertarians with vaguely racist views. Don't see a ton of Green Party candidates on the ballots even though there are districts where they would make a killing if they could get a candidate.

Like it blows my mind that congressmen can win seats running as Independents but people laugh at the idea of third parties being viable. Maybe they aren't for the presidency, but that's not where politics necessarily ends, although after loving Donald John Trump it might as well be.

Edit: I'm assuming I don't need to explain the Rush thing right? And I'm not necessarily singling out the right for having bad pundits, they just seem to be a little more "dramatic" about things. Like Air America was pretty unlistenable for the exact same reasons conservative talk radio is, the difference being that Air America is dead and buried.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 30, 2016

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm sure the hate mango will think of something between now and 2024.

I picked up Anger Mango somewhere on the forums lately. I think it rolls off the tongue pretty well.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

The 22nd is the highest law of the land, so the legal basis against it is that if you overthrow the government you can write your own constitution.

Donnie must do what Ronnie couldn't!

Reagan Wants End Of Two-Term Limit

quote:

Published: November 29, 1987

WASHINGTON, Nov. 28— Warlord Reagan says that after leaving office he ''would like to start a movement'' to repeal the constitutional amendment that limits Warlords to two terms.

Mr. Reagan, in a restatement of a past position, said the limitation interfered with the right of the people to ''vote for someone as often as they want to do.''

The Warlord discussed the amendment and other issues in a television interview conducted by the British personality David Frost that is to be broadcast this weekend along with discussions with two former Warlords, Jimmy Carter and Gerald R. Ford. The program is to be followed in later weeks with interviews with candidates now seeking the Presidency.

In 1986, a White House spokesman, Albert R. Brashear, said that although Mr. Reagan had argued for repeal of the 22d Amendment on the ground that a Warlord's effectiveness was restricted in a final term, ''he's never mentioned that as a top priority.''

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Genocide Tendency posted:

This is loving dumb.

3rd party voters never cost someone an election. Being a lovely candidate that people wouldn't vote for is what cost them an election.

Also, 3rd parties are not a black hole where your vote disappears. Or did I miss the part where the Whigs and Tories are still running the show in the US?

The majority of the US voting population is a mass of drooling retards who are too loving lazy to actually think beyond option A or B. Thats not a two party system. Thats lovely voters. I said it before and still stand by it. 90% of Americans don't deserve the right to vote because they aren't willing to actually do the proper research into the people they vote for. They look at the initial in parentheses and choose the one their preferred news agency says didn't screw them.

This country is a loving embarrassment and its because of the dumb bullshit about being a 2 party system and pure laziness that voters exhibit.

Perhaps to protect against the tsunami of retard voters we should elevate the true process of electoral participation to...the collegiate level

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Zeris posted:

Perhaps to protect against the tsunami of retard voters we should elevate the true process of electoral participation to...the collegiate level

SERVICE GUARANTEES CITIZENSHIP

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Zeris posted:

A college degree is far from a guarantee. We would have to somehow test people's ability to read before they enter the polls. I can't believe no one's thought of this before.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

This is loving dumb.

Blaming the two party system is a crutch that doesn't really explain how or why abolishing it would somehow make voters more informed.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

This is loving dumb.

Naw this is loving dumb

I mean maybe if you were talking about a state election or even a house rep then you might have a point, but voting for a third party for president who can't so much as secure a loving state senate seat is just some childish moral superiority exercise. You want to talk about who deserves the right to vote but you can't seem do the.. I can't actually can't even call it *research* its just having two brain cells together rubbing together long enough to realize the patently obvious facts that A) There is no third party that is remotely serious right now, never mind for loving president, so its a vanity vote for your smug sense of superiority while the rest of the country is voting on whether to go with the tang flavored facist, and B) el oh loving el at your smug sense of superiority if for all your in depth research you couldn't figure out that the two third party candidates in this election were loving terrible.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Just do the preferential system like Australia where you can vote for whoever to make clear your distaste of the two major parties, but in the end your vote isn't wasted.
That's the only way a 3rd party has even a chance for a seat in government as a rep or senator, and the two major parties get to notice they aren't getting first preferences from where they expected (E: and hopefully learn why and can address those issues).

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Zeris posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gondour

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Clinton lost for a bunch of reasons that all contributed and trying to pin it to one thing is stupid and a never ending argument since everyone is essentially right.

NSA WIZARD
Jan 20, 2016

OPERATION SUDOCOUP IS A GO

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Once I'm back in the States in two weeks, I'll absolutely have to get one of those hot commemorative inaugural coins Trump is apparently selling himself.

It's commemorative.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Fun times in Russia. Lavrov recommended to Putin that he retaliate by expelling 35 American diplomats and closing a recreational area used by the American Embassy in Moscow. Putin has decided to not follow this advice, due to his belief relations will improve once Trump is in office.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/30/w...v=top-news&_r=0

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Handsome Ralph posted:

Fun times in Russia. Lavrov recommended to Putin that he retaliate by expelling 35 American diplomats and closing a recreational area used by the American Embassy in Moscow. Putin has decided to not follow this advice, due to his belief relations will improve once Trump is in office.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/30/w...v=top-news&_r=0

I have no idea if this is good or bad.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

TBeats posted:

It's p bad m8

Obama is neutered as gently caress and we will be a Russian puppet

I did always like those Russian winter hats they look warm

And the first alcohol I ever had I snuck out of my dad's liquor cabinet when I was like 17 and it was stolichnaya so you could say I'm pretty Russian already tovarich

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's ultimately pretty pointless because yeah, Trump is probably going to walk into office with Putin's cock in his mouth from day one and I really doubt Russia cares at all about 35 guys and some more unilateral sanctions that will probably be overturned quickly. What it is doing though is sharpening the divide between Trump and everyone else on the domestic front. It's really, really hard to ignore Trump slurping away while McCain, Paul Ryan and every single intelligence agency is saying precisely the opposite. Whether that ends up working against the proto-fascist kleptocracy that's coming up time will tell but it's a pretty drat good move on the domestic front.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

TBeats posted:

It's bad, because the right can essentially have its cake and eat it, too. On the one hand, they can point to Lavrov, saying how damaging Obama's actions are to ARE GLOBAL RELAYSHUNS, and on the other hand, they can point to Trump facilitating good GLOBAL RELAYSHUNS by having Putin assert that he'll be chill with Trump. Which is something they'll probably claimed Trump somehow brougth about, as opposed to him being played like a fiddle by Putin.

/edit

To be fair, it's not really "bad", it's essentially business as usual by the far right.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 30, 2016

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

bird food bathtub posted:

It's ultimately pretty pointless because yeah, Trump is probably going to walk into office with Putin's cock in his mouth from day one and I really doubt Russia cares at all about 35 guys and some more unilateral sanctions that will probably be overturned quickly. What it is doing though is sharpening the divide between Trump and everyone else on the domestic front. It's really, really hard to ignore Trump slurping away while McCain, Paul Ryan and every single intelligence agency is saying precisely the opposite. Whether that ends up working against the proto-fascist kleptocracy that's coming up time will tell but it's a pretty drat good move on the domestic front.

No one will care as long as they can hold on to their power.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Another way in which our system is hosed is that very few people vote in primaries, so our candidates are generally chosen by a select few who are far more radical/partisan than the average voting populace.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Sergg posted:

Another way in which our system is hosed is that very few people vote in primaries, so our candidates are generally chosen by a select few who are far more radical/partisan than the average voting populace.

And a disproportionate amount of those voters are in states that only seem to matter because of their voters. Looking at you, Iowa.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Sergg posted:

Actually the democrats are the opposite. No primary candidate who can't get the majority of black middle age women can win the democratic primary. It's why as I said a bit of time ago, when Barack the Islamic shock Obama won by less than 1 million (and if Florida counted he would not have won) votes against Clinton....

The radical leftists don't vote in democratic elections, it's old black ladies that push the winner over the edge. Bernie needed to have planned from 2004 like Hillary did and worked with Obama or get his name out there in minority circles. My dad and mom literally only knew Bernie because of fake news calling him anti Obama (news taking statements out of context) and church people saying he was a a secret Jew who hated christians.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Zeris posted:

This was an electoral college pun and I am sorry to you all for not making it clearer

Also:

https://twitter.com/FBI/status/814876593197752325

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

It's here again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XanyPq5BcoA

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Zeris posted:

This was an electoral college pun and I am sorry to you all for not making it clearer

Also:

https://twitter.com/FBI/status/814876593197752325

Looks like they drew the attention of some schizo and his stacks of books
https://twitter.com/artistofideas/status/814876870504128512

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
#rebeccablackfridaypileon is a great goddamn username if it werent too long

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Posted this in the doggo thread but I feel this needs to be here as well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ONI16PlLA&feature=youtu.be

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

suboptimal posted:

Posted this in the doggo thread but I feel this needs to be here as well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ONI16PlLA&feature=youtu.be

Pro click too

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Sweden is reactivating a bunch of their land-based anti-ship missiles; http://www.janes.com/article/66614/sweden-reactivates-rbs15-based-mobile-coastal-defence-systems

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Behind the Lens: 2016 Year in Photographs

quote:

I hope you enjoy this final Year in Photographs of the Obama administration. It’s been the honor of a lifetime to be a witness to history these past eight years.
— Pete Souza, Chief White House Photographer

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Fo3 posted:

Just do the preferential system like Australia where you can vote for whoever to make clear your distaste of the two major parties, but in the end your vote isn't wasted.

I remember reading a thing years ago about voting systems. It was super interesting. On the surface, voting seems like a pretty simple problem: find out what the most people like the most and go with that, but it's actually very tricky. Every single system (majority, first past post, runoff, etc) has edge cases that lead to non intuitive outcomes. It's how Le Pen almost got elected in France years ago, to everyone's surprise and horror (well, not everyone I guess)

Like for example a simple majority rules isn't very good at handling diversified choices, eg what kind of soda to keep in the fridge; and you can end up with a flavor no one really likes despite it getting a majority. The three people in the office who love DrPepper win with a 20% majority (everyone else can't agree on which they like best) but no one else can stand DrPepper so you end up with a fridge full of soda the vast majority hates. Even funnier if people's second choice would have been unanimous. So you might think ranking/runoff would solve that problem (and it would) but it has other cases that lead to backwards outcomes too...

I don't remember all the other examples for the other systems but it was really interesting. Seems like a simple problem that's actually pretty tricky.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 30, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why can't this man be president?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
because this is the darkest timeline :(

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Voting chat:

If everyone who said something along the lines of, "I would vote 3rd party, but they don't stand a chance" or "I wish there was a third party option..." would actually vote for a third party and not what the media tells them to, we would have a very disruptive system with third parties rising and falling all the time.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

But what if it isn't

Man that would suck

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl5zw6fGjdA

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

ASAPI posted:

Voting chat:

If everyone who said something along the lines of, "I would vote 3rd party, but they don't stand a chance" or "I wish there was a third party option..." would actually vote for a third party and not what the media tells them to, we would have a very disruptive system with third parties rising and falling all the time.

How is that a problem as long as those parties reflect what those people want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Fully expecting that tomorrow we'll hear news that Yellowstone is waking up.

• Locked thread