Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/814919370711461890

Three weeks :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

This is some sort of karma for thinking it couldn't get more embarrassing than Bush.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Never thought I'd see the day when an American president would A. openly praise Putin and B. doing it on twitter.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

holocaust bloopers posted:

Never thought I'd see the day when an American president would A. openly praise Putin and B. doing it on twitter.

It gets better (please excuse the trump image, I'm breaking my own rule):

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/814925958599835648

Edit: Trump also pinned that Putin-praising tweet so for now, it will always be his first-seen tweet. At this point, I don't know what will be more dangerous: Trump still believing that Putin is his friend, or Trump realizing that Putin really isn't his friend.

Also, in better news:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/814924200146325504

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 30, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

It was such a long shot as it was when they passed it. I hope the NC Supreme Court is willing to call them out.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CommieGIR posted:

It was such a long shot as it was when they passed it. I hope the NC Supreme Court is willing to call them out.

Wasn't it NC that threatened to just completely defund the state supreme court if stuff like this started happening or am I getting my Republican-controlled, smoking, poo poo-filled craters that used to be a state confused?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

bird food bathtub posted:

Wasn't it NC that threatened to just completely defund the state supreme court if stuff like this started happening or am I getting my Republican-controlled, smoking, poo poo-filled craters that used to be a state confused?

it's hard to tell because they all get their marching orders from conservative think tanks like ALEC

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Zeris posted:

This was an electoral college pun and I am sorry to you all for not making it clearer
Don't feel bad, I got it and I'm not american.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Fo3 posted:

Don't feel bad, I got it and I'm not american.

I got it too. It wasn't exactly subtle, some people just aren't smort.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bird food bathtub posted:

That is Kansas:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-political-war-against-the-kansas-supreme-court

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

LostCosmonaut posted:

Fully expecting that tomorrow we'll hear news that Yellowstone is waking up.

Good.

Burn it all down, let the roaches take a crack at this "civilization" thing.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ASAPI posted:

Voting chat:

If everyone who said something along the lines of, "I would vote 3rd party, but they don't stand a chance" or "I wish there was a third party option..." would actually vote for a third party and not what the media tells them to, we would have a very disruptive system with third parties rising and falling all the time.

Not with first past the post!

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Belgian Waffle posted:

How is that a problem as long as those parties reflect what those people want?

Re-reading what I typed... I meant that as a good thing, didn't come off as such.

I believe that a slightly disruptive gov't system is needed. If a random 3rd party can "take over" it would actually help the citizens.

Now this is entirely dependent on the average voter making an informed decision. Which we all know, is WAY to much to hope for.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's kind of what just happened.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I can't remember if disrespecting president elect is punishable by ucmj. Or if that only applies after being sworn in.

Also is it disrespectful to ask someone what Putin's dick tastes like if you think they really like it?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

I can't remember if disrespecting president elect is punishable by ucmj. Or if that only applies after being sworn in.

Also is it disrespectful to ask someone what Putin's dick tastes like if you think they really like it?

Once he's POTUS I'm going to do my best to never speak online about him again. Whole lot of sighing though.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
You can still discuss policy you just can't get real nasty. Then again I've seen many a military member get away with Obongo and worse on Facebook.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mlmp08 posted:

I think only nobles are specifically prohibited from making derogatory statements. Peons would get hit with the general article anyway tho.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I look forward to trolls asking during sharp training if [trump quite here] is punishable under EO/UCMJ. It already happened in one session during the primary lmao.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Sometimes I wish I were a lower peon so I could do that sort of thing.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So Caro is going to be the next season of Serial, right?

I wonder if an e-mail campaign could get it done, or at least garner a reply.

TBeats posted:

Clinton lost for a bunch of reasons that all contributed and trying to pin it to one thing is stupid and a never ending argument since everyone is essentially right.

If you back up a little and ask, "Why was she close enough to losing that these were enough?," then you arrive at one answer: She neglected the rustbelt due to hubristic confidence in her (lovely) data operation.

The more post-mortems I read, the more I focus in on that. These dozen+ factors you can point to to explain the 100K rust belt votes that flipped the election, none of them would've mattered if she campaigned as hard in the rust belt as Obama had to both times.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Stultus Maximus posted:

Sometimes I wish I were a lower peon so I could do that sort of thing.

Or you could you know, get out and say what the gently caress you want

SMDFTB

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Flikken posted:

Or you could you know, get out and say what the gently caress you want

SMDFTB

Tricare Reserve is cheap as hell and retirement is a nice thing to be able to count on.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I'm hoping for a posting to the Gropenfuhrer's elite internet comment monitoring brigade, it would be a great duty station while I major in pussy grabbing at Trump U

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So the Russians penetrated the US electrical grid.

Russian hackers penetrated U.S. electricity grid through a utility in Vermont - The Washington Post
https://apple.news/AY8k6A_imRnmriBNWy6vz5w

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just Putin checking our system for inefficiency.
He's really smart.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Good luck phishing a password by email from Trump, he doesn't use computers, nerds :smug:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Four years of this poo poo.

We're going to have four loving years of this poo poo happening over and over and being swept under the rug and/or silenced.

Christ I never really understood the yearning for canned sunshine but after this loving year I too cannot wait to embrace either 25 megaton death or the subsequent Mad Max hellscape.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Everything is going to be OK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqPC08cPGJw

Civ2 really was the best Civ game.
High Council Elvii supremacy.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Jarmak posted:

Naw this is loving dumb

I mean maybe if you were talking about a state election or even a house rep then you might have a point, but voting for a third party for president who can't so much as secure a loving state senate seat is just some childish moral superiority exercise. You want to talk about who deserves the right to vote but you can't seem do the.. I can't actually can't even call it *research* its just having two brain cells together rubbing together long enough to realize the patently obvious facts that A) There is no third party that is remotely serious right now, never mind for loving president, so its a vanity vote for your smug sense of superiority while the rest of the country is voting on whether to go with the tang flavored facist, and B) el oh loving el at your smug sense of superiority if for all your in depth research you couldn't figure out that the two third party candidates in this election were loving terrible.

You are a dumb gently caress.

lovely candidates are a result of uninformed voters. Our entire pool of candidates is loving terrible because no one reasonable runs 3rd party since our voter base is too lazy to look beyond two choices. Thats a problem with the voters.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Just stop dude :cripes:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Genocide Tendency posted:

You are a dumb gently caress.

lovely candidates are a result of uninformed voters. Our entire pool of candidates is loving terrible because no one reasonable runs 3rd party since our voter base is too lazy to look beyond two choices. Thats a problem with the voters.

Hello have you read the US constitution? It pretty much says if you seriously think a third party can win the presidency, you're an idiot.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Kazinsal posted:

We're going to have four loving years of this poo poo happening over and over and being swept under the rug and/or silenced.

For what it's worth, all of those Republicans' ambitions (see Rubio, M.) never really went away. So, if Trump fucks up, which he will, in about two and a half or three years, he'll be getting a ton of Republican challengers. Those challengers will have every incentive to dig out and discover all of the fuckups and amplify them as an example of Why You Should Vote For Me Instead in the primary. It's not like there will be a strong Republican establishment to tell all of those candidates to tone down the Trump criticism.

Or, said ambitious Republicans decide to be a pain in Trump's rear end early and makes a faction of "I'm not a communist" Republicans.

Or, in two years' time, one chamber of Congress flips to Democrat (if it happens, would likely be the House, as the Senate looks really lovely), because the party of the incumbent President tends to get creamed in midyear elections.

Not to mention that there are a lot of reporters out there that want to find the juicy Trump scandal that takes him down, the same frenzy that would've happened for Clinton.

Oh, and Trump is really unpopular too.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Yeah it should be pointed out that Trump is the least popular president-elect in the last 50-ish years and this is typically when the president has their highest approval ratings. His were at 45% last I saw.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Bu bu but it's the press man, that's why he's down.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

For what it's worth, all of those Republicans' ambitions (see Rubio, M.) never really went away. So, if Trump fucks up, which he will, in about two and a half or three years, he'll be getting a ton of Republican challengers. Those challengers will have every incentive to dig out and discover all of the fuckups and amplify them as an example of Why You Should Vote For Me Instead in the primary. It's not like there will be a strong Republican establishment to tell all of those candidates to tone down the Trump criticism.

Or, said ambitious Republicans decide to be a pain in Trump's rear end early and makes a faction of "I'm not a communist" Republicans.

Or, in two years' time, one chamber of Congress flips to Democrat (if it happens, would likely be the House, as the Senate looks really lovely), because the party of the incumbent President tends to get creamed in midyear elections.

Not to mention that there are a lot of reporters out there that want to find the juicy Trump scandal that takes him down, the same frenzy that would've happened for Clinton.

Oh, and Trump is really unpopular too.

For the majority of the country Trump is unpopular, no doubt about that. Hell for a lot of Republicans he's unpopular. My concern is that for the batshit wingnut core of the GOP that has been rotting away the party from the inside he's their messiah. He's throwing away the dog whistle racism and giving them bullhorns. International stability and diplomacy? gently caress that, these people love hearing about how the whole world should get more nukes and ya know maybe this Putin guy has the right ideas for how we treat those Muslims. Women back in the kitchen, gays back in the closet, transgenders out of the bathrooms and minorities knowing their places is exactly what they have been primed by over half a century of winking and nodding to want so desperately to hear out loud and Trump's giving it to them good.

There is absolutely going to be a lot of challengers to Trump next election, but I'm really afraid they're not going to be challenging him from a position of rational discourse, traditional GOP values or even an attachment to sanity. The lid is off Pandora's box and I don't see the insanity getting quieter next time around.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
A self-sustaining authoritarian movement is a real risk.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 31, 2016

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So the Russians penetrated the US electrical grid.

Russian hackers penetrated U.S. electricity grid through a utility in Vermont - The Washington Post
https://apple.news/AY8k6A_imRnmriBNWy6vz5w

This story is a lot more benign than it was made out to be. Turns out they never got access to "the grid" they just hacked into a laptop that was owned by the utility company, but it didn't have access to any critical components.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yeah it should be pointed out that Trump is the least popular president-elect in the last 50-ish years and this is typically when the president has their highest approval ratings. His were at 45% last I saw.

Would Hillary been significantly higher? This race was kind of unique for detestable (at least to the public at large) candidates.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Would Hillary been significantly higher? This race was kind of unique for detestable (at least the public at large) candidates.

Significantly? Probably not.

But she was still a better candidate (significantly).

• Locked thread