Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I wonder why that's why the DLC was way worse than the other games. They had two good ideas; semblance and being able to teleport through grates and one mixed with the regenning mana bar.

The only really impressive level was the bank and arguably the mine. Even compared to the Daud DLCs it felt, weak. Tepid. And if the game was so involved with fanfic writers, it kinda casts the Eyeless in a different light...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Wanderer posted:

That kind of makes sense. One of the writers on Death of the Outsider, Hazel Monforton, is a promoted fangirl. Reportedly, Harvey Smith brought her on board because he liked an essay she wrote. I knew about the slash excerpt, but it doesn't surprise me that much that there are some even deeper dives into the fandom.

I read about that somewhere; I think it was an essay about belief systems that designate a sacrificial victim as a repository of all the evil in the world, and by killing them the world is rejuvenated, or some such thing. Harvey saw it, liked it, and offered her a job. Judging by this pre-release article, it sounds less like a case of monkeys running the asylum and more like a lot of the old writing teams was moving around Arkane's studios or even leaving the company entirely, so the work went to the newbies.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I wonder why that's why the DLC was way worse than the other games. They had two good ideas; semblance and being able to teleport through grates and one mixed with the regenning mana bar.

The only really impressive level was the bank and arguably the mine. Even compared to the Daud DLCs it felt, weak. Tepid. And if the game was so involved with fanfic writers, it kinda casts the Eyeless in a different light...
I quite liked semblance, if only for Arkane finally figuring out a way to include disguises in game where you never see your body. It was also pretty fun figuring out how to plan your movements so you could do what you needed to and find a hiding place before your void energy ran out.

As for general issues with the game, I wonder if Arkane was under a serious time crunch for DOTO. I think there's only a handful of new maps for the game (the beached Dreadful Wale, the bathhouse, Upper Cyria Gardens, the Quarry and Void Quarry, which I suspect was built the same way as Stilton's manor, and the Outsider's resting place). Most of these are smaller and less explorable than D2's maps, and there were a few reuses; Upper Cyria Gardens is used twice, and The Royal Conservatory is just a truncated version of the map from D2. I suspect that might be why the chaos system was dropped; it saved them from having to build more alternate versions of the same map.

Also, and this is just a minor peeve, but were regular bonecharms rather thin on the ground in DOTO? I found myself swimming in black and corrupted bonecharms, but only a handful of the regular ones. Gotta admit I found it a bit irritating, because I fell in love with the crafting in D2, and was disappointed I basically couldn't use it in DOTO.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Crafting was pretty dumb though. Find a good charm and make a x5 version of it. There was no reason to mix and match

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

Crafting was pretty dumb though. Find a good charm and make a x5 version of it. There was no reason to mix and match

But it might corrupt! <finger hovering above F9 button> Oh I'll never abuse this at all.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Crafting was really poorly thought out in D2. Apart from the save-scumming issue and mix and matching being useless,, making it possible to stack the effect four times mean either the basic bone charms have so minimal an effect to be practically worthless, or the effect becomes broken when it's four times as powerful.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

So I was looking at some reviews of DOTO on Tumblr, and I found some suggestions that there might be more fandom connections than I thought. This reviewer, who had some serious problems with the game, noted that there's one particular fic that seems to have a lot of details about the Outsider, particularly his mark being his name and the color of his eyes, that later appeared in DOTO. I'm not sure if the DOTO writing team was lifting details from this fic, but some of what it described is close enough to warrant some further investigation.

I also found these other two, both also rather negative on the narrative front. Some of what they write about (the characterizations of Billie, Daud, and the Outsider when compared to the rest of the series, as well as the ickiness surrounding Billie's transformation) chimes with the problems I noticed about the game, but couldn't articulate. At this point, with the problems with the story and no true New Game+, I'm not really sure I ever want to play DOTO again.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The Shindaery Mine is very linear. It's really just a corridor with a slope and then you have that one crowded room where taking one person out seems to alert the whole facility.

Also, the Outsider slash is clearly satire.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Hot take: DOTO is very good and I enjoyed it a lot.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I liked it too. The narrative wasnt amazing but I also wasn't offended by it. Nothing has beaten the first game for me anyway. The levels are good though I agree the last level is linear. I didn't mind rehashing a D2 misson, if anything I like going back and seeing levels change, it makes the world more coherent for me. It is short and if I view it as a standalone product it sucks by that criteria.

The only disappointment is it could be the last Dishonored we see for a while given the poor sales of D2.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I don't think I could handle Looking Glass Studios (aka Arkane) shutting down a SECOND time. There is no justice in this world.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

dishwasherlove posted:

The only disappointment is it could be the last Dishonored we see for a while given the poor sales of D2.
Well, I know Harvey Smith has gone on record saying that all the current games to date are part of "the Kaldwin era," and that the purpose of both D2 and DOTO was to essentially conclude the stories of the major characters, the Outsider included. If another Dishonored comes along, it's probably going to be in a significantly different setting with nobody returning from the earlier games. At any rate, it won't be written and designed by the same teams, especially since most of the former have scattered to the winds.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I wish there was some way to get some of the Thief fan mission authors jobs at Arkane. Especially the person behind Thief 2x, that was a masterpiece

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
A bunch of them did. I never played any Thief fan missions, so I don't know their names off-hand, but I'm pretty sure the Boyle mansion, for example, was designed by one of them.

Edit: Purah, who made Calandra's Legacy, if that means something for you. Also Digital Nightfall, who ran TTLG, did the Clockwork Mansion.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 8, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm in the mine, in the quarry.

So far... these people are clearly evil cultists, but they also seem like they might be holding back some pretty bad poo poo and helping maintain the world? I'm wondering if killing them all without having something ready to take over that part of their duty (not the Abbey, because they suck at it) might be... bad.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

I'm in the mine, in the quarry.

So far... these people are clearly evil cultists, but they also seem like they might be holding back some pretty bad poo poo and helping maintain the world? I'm wondering if killing them all without having something ready to take over that part of their duty (not the Abbey, because they suck at it) might be... bad.

There is a lore book you find written by the person who founded this group. The modern cult was formed of people who stumbled across the Eye of the Dead God and then learned about the ancient cult that created the Outsider. All that remains of the ancient cult are the Envisioned; the modern cult seem to be pretenders rather than a true continuation. Even the cultists who are so far gone that they can turn to stone have only been here as long as the contemporary mine.

I powered through the last level last night. After I had spent way to long trying and failing to murder every Overseer and Oracular Sister in the Conservatory, I tried to go through the Mine stealthy and non-lethal. There are some big groups, and while gliding through with Semblance and picking everybody's pockets is a fun way to get in, it makes it difficult to get out.

Also [spoiler]Envisioned are bastards. I barely managed to kill one, and I had lots of room to dodge backwards until I finally knocked it down. Is there a way to stealth-kill those loving things?[/spoilers]

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

IMJack posted:

Also Envisioned are bastards. I barely managed to kill one, and I had lots of room to dodge backwards until I finally knocked it down. Is there a way to stealth-kill those loving things?

Charged/bonecharmed voltaic shot (to the head? can't remember if body shots work) to stun, and then close in quickly to perform a finish

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

IMJack posted:

I powered through the last level last night. After I had spent way to long trying and failing to murder every Overseer and Oracular Sister in the Conservatory, I tried to go through the Mine stealthy and non-lethal. There are some big groups, and while gliding through with Semblance and picking everybody's pockets is a fun way to get in, it makes it difficult to get out.

I had a classic emergent-gameplay moment where I'd gone undetected right up until close to the end, when my Semblance failed at a bad moment and I ended up in a fight with half a dozen cultists. I almost quick-loaded, but then asked myself, in a game with no chaos system, do I really think these guys are worth sparing?

Then I used up all my grenades and incendiaries on them. Felt weird.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IMJack posted:

Envisioned are bastards. I barely managed to kill one, and I had lots of room to dodge backwards until I finally knocked it down. Is there a way to stealth-kill those loving things?

I don't know about Stealth kills, but if you're willing to take the health hit you can displace into one of them and then get an instantkill off on it while it's stunned from the displace.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I didn't really hate it, as such. The ending was really weak and I the DLC itself felt, truncated. The fanfic stuff I'm reading here isn't great either; it wasn't good watching comics get ruined by lunatics running the asylum and its a shame if that happened here.

It also was extra bad because I went straight from finishing the game to watching the new Blade Runner and that uhh, would make most any ending inadequate but one like that especially.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Welp, that's done.

Spared him, as I was always going to do. I'm a low-chaos sop.

I feel like Emily should maybe claim the mine and found the Institute For Protection Against Void Bullshit (no human sacrifices allowed).

Actually, that having happened and the player being a (dishonored) member would be a pretty good hook for Dishonored 3, a century or two later.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Isn't that basically what the Abbey of the Everyman is? At least when they're not being the morality police. They would definitely be going "hey, that's our job".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Entropic posted:

Isn't that basically what the Abbey of the Everyman is? At least when they're not being the morality police. They would definitely be going "hey, that's our job".

Their approach is more 'AAA, VOID! HISS!' *execute everyone, burn everything*

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MikeJF posted:

Their approach is more 'AAA, VOID! HISS!' *execute everyone, burn everything*

I didn't say they were particularly good at it...

They definitely view it as their turf though.

Maybe half of them being murdered by Delilah might open them up to some reform, but I doubt it. In DOTO they seem just as brutal as ever with no sign of Emily having reigned them in.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh yeah, if Emily were to do it, it wouldn't be public. You'd want to keep that poo poo on the down-low, especially from the Abbey.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The Abby, like all powerful religious organizations, would definitely feel that it was steppin on they turf.

But that just makes for a better story really. What if the player is an infiltrator of the institute from the Abbey? You have a lotta good conflict options from that and yet another reason why you'd want to have a powers free playthrough.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It's a flip-side of the direction they took with the Outsider in D2 and DOTO; by making him less sinister and more sympathetic, the Abbey's extreme measures are now much less justified. But either way, in Dishonored's world, prolonged exposure to runes or bone charms is enough to turn most(?)/some people into homicidal maniacs, so I have much more of a soft spot for the Abbey's atheist puritans than I for its real-world inspirations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Didn't see anything about this in the OP so figured I'd ask. I played through all of the Dishonored Definitive Edition on PS4 and loved it. Haven't played 2 yet but was wondering if Arkane had announced plans for another story DLC for 2, or if Death of the Outsider is the only planned DLC so far. If there's more planned later, I'd prefer to wait a while and buy all of 2's content in a bundle.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There have been no announced plans, and DOTO is a very definite end to a lot of story threads of the series, so I wouldn't expect more Dishonored in the forseeable future. There's a deluxe bundle of D2 and DOTO announced for P4, which is probably your best bet.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 10, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Hannibal Rex posted:

But either way, in Dishonored's world, prolonged exposure to runes or bone charms is enough to turn most(?)/some people into homicidal maniacs

I'm pretty sure it's Dunwall's dysfunctional society that does that.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Finally getting around to Death of the Outsider and non-lethal Hook mines seem really finicky. Half the time they work and half the time they fling a guard across the room.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

So what you're is saying is: half the time they work, and half the time they work better?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

RatHat posted:

Finally getting around to Death of the Outsider and non-lethal Hook mines seem really finicky. Half the time they work and half the time they fling a guard across the room.

I wish just one of them, just once, would do that Looney Tunes "whah-hoo-hoo-hoo" thing as they Doppler away into the sunset...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Any reason not to do the lethal contracts besides achievements? Normally I go as non-lethal as I can but it's hard to pass up ~500 coins.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
There is no chaos system nor clean hands cheevo. Go hog wild.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Sorry for the basic question but is there enough reason to bother with a second playthrough as the other character?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Depends if their powers sound fun to you as that's the only difference

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
In DotO mission 2 Billie told me to return to Daud before going in the bank. Will going back change the world/void my unfinished contracts? Aka should I fully explore and do everything first?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Yes, going back will start the next mission.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Marshal Radisic posted:

Speaking of fandom, I noticed one surprising deep pull in the bank. Somewhere on the third floor, I believe, and in some of the collectible notes, there's mention of a high-ranking employee named "Vesper Bistrow." As it turns out, I recognized the name from an aborted tumblr writing/comic project about an Oracular Initiate of the same name. Sadly I can't find the page anymore; it's either been deleted or lost in the search algorithm, so I'm afraid you'll have to take my word for it.
I did a little more research, and it turns out that "Vesper Bistrow" was a character Hazel Monforton created a few years back, and she just decided to reuse the name. She took down her original tumblr for Bistrow, but you can still find her talking about the character on her main tumblr. (It's calyxofawildflower, if you're at all interested.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Marshal Radisic posted:

I did a little more research, and it turns out that "Vesper Bistrow" was a character Hazel Monforton created a few years back, and she just decided to reuse the name. She took down her original tumblr for Bistrow, but you can still find her talking about the character on her main tumblr. (It's calyxofawildflower, if you're at all interested.)

I really can't begrudge anyone for throwing a couple of personal in-jokes into a writing project, especially one that's as big as a narrative-focused video game.

• Locked thread