Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Weird how they throw so much money at you in mission 4 despite there not being much to spend it on at that point.

Also Semblance is hilariously broken on a lethal playthrough because of how fast stealth kills are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Something I admire about the level design is that because you have to be stealthy and will typically avoid guarded areas, it gives the impression the level is bigger than it actually is. My initial way forward in Karnaca felt like my own choice; it felt like I'd stumbled on an out-of-the-way apartment complex even though I'd more or less been directed to it.

I'm up to Clockwork Mansion and enjoying it, but I hope there's some setting variety soon. I realize I'm not that far in.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

snoremac posted:

I hope there's some setting variety soon. I realize I'm not that far in.

for sure do not play death of the outsider if a lack of mission location variation is a problem for you

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

doink

this is the best dishonored item ever made

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's really strong too, if you throw it at a guard it'll pull 2 guards together and knock out/kill both.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 5, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Argh, I painstakingly nonlethaled the first mission in Death of the Outsider before learning there is no chaos system any more. I wish the game told you that up front.

That and the full regen mana system are great changes though. I was one of those people who carefully avoided wasting even a pixel of mana and couldn't even pick up 90% of the blue elixirs because my brain is that kind of broken.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sindai posted:

That and the full regen mana system are great changes though. I was one of those people who carefully avoided wasting even a pixel of mana and couldn't even pick up 90% of the blue elixirs because my brain is that kind of broken.

I'm in the same boat, and would dearly love to replay the first two games with the regen mechanic.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Tbh I think the lack of a chaos system is one of the most disappointing parts of DOTO.
Fully regenerating mana is great though.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Awright, I know this is from The Brigmore Witches, but holy crap I had no idea you could actually do this! These games really are the gifts that keep on giving.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7uG_8mccto

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Marshal Radisic posted:

Awright, I know this is from The Brigmore Witches, but holy crap I had no idea you could actually do this! These games really are the gifts that keep on giving.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7uG_8mccto

Hi, dude who made the vid. A friend told me so I recorded it.

... Wait, how long have I missed that typo where I mis-spell Daud as Dau in the description Jesus Christ.

And how that video got over 150K views surprises me.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
lol hey you old fucks, guess what? Thief is 20 years old, end of this month.

wikipedia posted:

Thief was the first 3D stealth game for a personal computer, and its stealth gameplay innovations influenced later games in the genre.[80] The game has been cited as the first to use light and shadow as a stealth mechanic,[12] and the first to use audio cues, such as the ability to eavesdrop on conversations and alert guards with loud footsteps.[80] The game's use of sound wave propagation, which allowed sounds to travel around corners and through rooms, became widely considered by game developers. Thief's influence has been recognized in other stealth games, such as Assassin's Creed, Hitman, Splinter Cell, and Tenchu.[81] Marc Laidlaw, writer and designer on Half-Life, said that "Thief is the single most terrifying, immersive, and rewarding game I have played and the one single-player game I continue to replay. [...] There are countless books I wish I had written; Thief is one of the few games I wish I had worked on."[12] Laidlaw called Thief his favorite game,[82] an opinion shared by Fallout 3 lead designer Emil Pagliarulo,[83] and Michel Sabbagh of Bethesda Softworks.[84]

Thief: The Dark Project has been declared one of the greatest games of all time by several publications. Inducting it into its hall of fame, GameSpy writer Rich Carlson wrote: "With a tactical philosophy contrary to nearly every [first-person shooter] action game at that time, Thief rewarded stealth and sneaking over brazen frontal assault," continuing: "While inadvertently undermining the notion that all action games need be shooters, it carved a completely new niche in the same already glutted genre."[12] GameSpot editor Greg Kasavin argued that, while Metal Gear Solid, Tenchu: Stealth Assassins and Thief all defined the stealth action genre, it was Thief that displayed "the purest depiction of what it might be like to slip from shadow to shadow" and "largely remains an unsurpassed achievement in gaming."[85] In 2009, Thief was added to IGN's hall of fame.[86] Sid Shuman, writing for GamePro, asserted that Thief "pioneered its own genre ... the stealth-action title."[81] John Walker of Eurogamer wrote in a retrospective review: "Thief is an embarrassment to modern stealth games, each of which produces only a faded parody of this masterful original."[87] In 2012, Mike Fahey of Kotaku called Thief "the best stealth game I've ever played", superior to modern games in the genre.[88] That same year, Time named it one of the 100 greatest video games of all time.[89]

:unsmith:

Asbury fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 25, 2017

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

3Romeo posted:

lol hey you old fucks, guess what? Thief is 20 years old, end of this month.

:unsmith:

holy poo poo I'm old

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I played this game and got the upgraded "drag" power where you can drag everyone to you and oneshot them immediately. Unfortunately this made the game, which was already not very challenging, without challenge at all. I'd just wade into a new area and slaughter everyone in like 10 seconds. This game is not very good unless you force yourself to try and stealth it

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Copped the limited edition for black Friday but the definitive edition code is expired- has anyone had any luck reaching out to Bethesda and seeing if they will accept it?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ladron posted:

holy poo poo I'm old

Do you still have a launch copy of Doom 2 on CD as well? The box itself is long gone but I've still got my disc.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Zzulu posted:

I played this game and got the upgraded "drag" power where you can drag everyone to you and oneshot them immediately. Unfortunately this made the game, which was already not very challenging, without challenge at all. I'd just wade into a new area and slaughter everyone in like 10 seconds. This game is not very good unless you force yourself to try and stealth it
I'm having a hard time thinking of a stealth game where this isn't true.

Slaughtering everyone in elaborate ways with your huge arsenal of toys is certainly an intended playstyle in Dishonored. My advice is to play the whole game two or three times.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 25, 2017

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I dunno, I feel like killing as few people as possible is the intended way to play dishonored. I recently replayed dishonored 1 and went fully psycho murderer, and the game just loses all challenge if you don't care about casualties.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's such a shame the Death of the Outsider was so meh

Like, had it just been bad, that would have been enough, but it really just feels unfinished and abrupt

The writing also isn't as great, but ehh

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Zzulu posted:

Mymla posted:

I dunno, I feel like killing as few people as possible is the intended way to play dishonored. I recently replayed dishonored 1 and went fully psycho murderer, and the game just loses all challenge if you don't care about casualties.

Sindai posted:

I'm having a hard time thinking of a stealth game where this isn't true.
Slaughtering everyone in elaborate ways with your huge arsenal of toys is certainly an intended playstyle in Dishonored. My advice is to play the whole game two or three times.

I'll be that "both sides are right" shithead.

I have more fun playing no-kills stealth because it's the closest thing we'll get to another Thief game, but I have a blast doing cool poo poo like freezing time and possessing somebody to walk in front of their own bullet.

The thing I admire about the series is how the levels work as well as they do (and are as alive as they are) while still catering to both playstyles. A no-powers run where you're crawling in through the basement is just as viable as NG+ full chaos rooftop murder simulator. I think non-lethal stealth is more rewarding, but there's times I feel like lethal chaos is the better story (especially the Lighthouse at the end of D1 - the high chaos ending, where the conspirators have fallen into infighting, is leagues ahead of the wet-tissue low-chaos ending).

The game systems fight themselves sometimes, is what I mean, and they aren't perfect. And frankly, the supporting characters are weak, the revenge story doesn't have an emotional hook to it,* and the stories aren't so hot either. It's a testament to the world design that despite all those things, Dunwall and Karnaca feel like a real world I want to get lost in. That's the thing I care about the most.

hey resource if you're still reading this, ask for a raise

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It's such a shame the Death of the Outsider was so meh

Like, had it just been bad, that would have been enough, but it really just feels unfinished and abrupt

The writing also isn't as great, but ehh
I didn't like that last level at all, and the Outsider is by far the thing I care about the least in the series. That bank heist, though, was worth the price. I've been hoping for something like that since Thief 2.

* I'm not a huge fan of the new Wolfenstein series, but the characterization in those games, absurd as they are, is loving top notch

Asbury fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 25, 2017

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

DancingShade posted:

Do you still have a launch copy of Doom 2 on CD as well? The box itself is long gone but I've still got my disc.

floppy, son :smug:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Getting texture pop-in/filtering issues, what are the chances I can actually fix them and the answer isn't "lovely port, deal with it"

feelix fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 26, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hey goons, I just picked this up during the thanksgiving steam sale.

Any of you fine chaps happen to know how to fix the timepiece being washed out to the point of being useless?

GTX1060, 330.13 drivers. Screenshot taken with settings on ultra, so I'm not sure what I need to turn off to make it work.

All I know is that it looks nothing like the trailer.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 26, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I wish Dishonored was just an Action FPS with light stealth mechanics the way they envisioned. Early builds came out and people were confused why there weren't equal stealth and non-violent options.

Stealth dilutes what this game excels at, fluid combat dynamics. by the end of Dishonored I felt completely unkillable on the hardest difficulty, and I want that experience with D2 but my autism rears up and i just slam my dick into a car door trying to ghost every level just to see if i can. My 1st Slaughter-everything play through was the most fun i had, and I'm glad chaos is only tied to death toll and decisions, not stealth mechanics.

I read so many comments to the tune of "Stealth in this game is so clunky" well yeah, they ended making stealth a much bigger part of the game then they ever intended.

EDIT: i'd like an immersive sim like Prey or Dishonered that didn't have build options, just gave you skills as you progressed in the game. This way every tool, move and weapon can be custom tailored to work together, instead of a big toy box with 5 options to do one thing. A very weird but extremely cool game that does this well is called Dark Sector.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
A game with the Dishonoured toolkit that's more about tearing guys up would be cool, but being a spooky unseen saboteur fits in really well with the chosen setting.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Someone's never seen stealthgamerBR.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I wish Dishonored was just an Action FPS with light stealth mechanics the way they envisioned. Early builds came out and people were confused why there weren't equal stealth and non-violent options.

Stealth dilutes what this game excels at, fluid combat dynamics. by the end of Dishonored I felt completely unkillable on the hardest difficulty, and I want that experience with D2 but my autism rears up and i just slam my dick into a car door trying to ghost every level just to see if i can. My 1st Slaughter-everything play through was the most fun i had, and I'm glad chaos is only tied to death toll and decisions, not stealth mechanics.

I read so many comments to the tune of "Stealth in this game is so clunky" well yeah, they ended making stealth a much bigger part of the game then they ever intended.

EDIT: i'd like an immersive sim like Prey or Dishonered that didn't have build options, just gave you skills as you progressed in the game. This way every tool, move and weapon can be custom tailored to work together, instead of a big toy box with 5 options to do one thing. A very weird but extremely cool game that does this well is called Dark Sector.

In comparison Dishonored without the stealth and ghosting options would basically hold no interesting to me because the combat is clunky and boring.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

SwissArmyDruid posted:

GTX1060, 330.13 drivers. Screenshot taken with settings on ultra, so I'm not sure what I need to turn off to make it work.

All I know is that it looks nothing like the trailer.

Seems like a lighting problem. Try setting everything to medium or high and then boosting it up bit by bit. Maybe a Shadows thing?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bogart posted:

Seems like a lighting problem. Try setting everything to medium or high and then boosting it up bit by bit. Maybe a Shadows thing?

Turns out it was a *brightness* thing.

Yes, goons, that thing with the "adjust the brightness until you can only barely see the last rune" is actually important. Usually I just yank that to max brightness, because who wants to deal with that poo poo?

Which is a pain in the rear end, because I have to go and tweak brightnesses along the entire pipeline so that I can get it so that I can see everything in the current without having everything washed out in the timepiece, while also not having the timepiece blacked out when in the past.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Turns out it was a *brightness* thing.

Yes, goons, that thing with the "adjust the brightness until you can only barely see the last rune" is actually important. Usually I just yank that to max brightness, because who wants to deal with that poo poo?

Which is a pain in the rear end, because I have to go and tweak brightnesses along the entire pipeline so that I can get it so that I can see everything in the current without having everything washed out in the timepiece, while also not having the timepiece blacked out when in the past.

Sounds to me like you have problematic monitor (or driver) settings. Usually you do not have to gently caress around with brightness settings at all. And if you do "yank that to max", it taints the overall image quality of the game, making lit areas washed out and bright areas overdrawn.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

SwissArmyDruid posted:

People who like games to not look like rear end, generally.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

you have no one to blame but yourself if you don't use a sensible brightness setting

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I usually make it bright in games because not being able to see poo poo isn't scary or atmospheric for me, it's annoying. :shobon:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bogart posted:

I usually make it bright in games because not being able to see poo poo isn't scary or atmospheric for me, it's annoying. :shobon:

This.

Oh well. Hopefully I have just saved another goon who picks up the game during this or the Christmas sale some grief.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Seconding adjusting your monitor settings. You shouldnt have to max out brightness just to see. Max brightness should look really washed out and overly bright. Also take heed of contrast settings. I think there's a webpage designed specifically for assisting in calibrating monitors by having image tests. I'm phone posting or I would look it up for you

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I mean, if I have to do this to play the level properly, I might as well. Update with the link when you can get to a computer, please and thank you.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Seconding adjusting your monitor settings. You shouldnt have to max out brightness just to see. Max brightness should look really washed out and overly bright. Also take heed of contrast settings. I think there's a webpage designed specifically for assisting in calibrating monitors by having image tests. I'm phone posting or I would look it up for you

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-calibrate-your-monitor/

just happened to do this a month or so ago

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I mean, if I have to do this to play the level properly, I might as well. Update with the link when you can get to a computer, please and thank you.

you could look it up too, dude

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Wow, I was very glad I decided to pick up the charged shot upgrade before the last level of DotO.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It gets better: with a few levels* of the bone charm that increases shot damage, you don't even have to headshot the rock enthusiasts to stun them.

* I had 4, might work with fewer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Bashed settings into something that worked well enough. Got through Stilton's manor.

And then on the ending screen, I notice that I killed someone.

Bullshit, I didn't kill no-one, I am deliberately going for a ghost/merciful hands run. Then I start going back through my saves to figure out exactly when it happened. Of course, it wouldn't be a Dishonored game if loading a save file caused a person to randomly die.

• Locked thread