Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Here's a new Corvo gameplay trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxAFgelxgs4

The new Outsider voice sucks.

All I could think of during the murder montage at the end was Stephen Russell as Garrett saying "A true professional doesn't kill..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Here's a new Corvo gameplay trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxAFgelxgs4

The new Outsider voice sucks.

he sounds exactly how i though the dude who plays gotham would sound. not perfect but whatever. game looks loving sweet.

Hank Morgan posted:

Stephen Russell isn't even trying to hide the Garrett voice. It's total and utter pandering to Thief fans and it's working!

same here. I am going with corvo first game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
From the actually not all that prevalent gameplay they showed in this gameplay trailer, it pretty much looks like Dishonored 1 But More, and y'know I'm certainly ok with that.

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug

Mordja posted:

A new Corvo + Story video just came out and it looks like the main villain is going to be Delilah. Which I'm honestly surprised about, considering I locked her in a still life painting at the end of that DLC! :argh:

E:FB

Right? It's like Thief 2's main villain being the same as thief one's. It's just kind of odd. Speaking of thief 2, the first videos we saw showed robots kinda like the ones in it. I was looking forward to some Father Karras-a-like.

I guess I should withhold judgement till I play it, and I pre-ordered it, but I'm honestly a bit disappointed that Delilah is still any sort of factor...

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I wish they made the first game compatible with windows ten, still can't get my copy to work. (there is a steam save issue that they won't ever address)

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I went super-stealthy on my first runthrough but I want to try the opposite: try to do everything as fast as possible and get away from enemies by being 10 steps ahead.

CJacobs posted:

From the actually not all that prevalent gameplay they showed in this gameplay trailer, it pretty much looks like Dishonored 1 But More, and y'know I'm certainly ok with that.

Emily's different powers should shake things up.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Here's a new gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=179wSigx4pM

I am extremely happy that the kick makes a triumphant return from Dark Messiah. It appears to be an upgrade for blink now so you can't spam it but the new kick seems way more powerful.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

There's a default kick that you can do at any time but it doesn't send enemies flying like blink one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am going to Duke's Mighty Boot my way through this game so hard holy poo poo

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
I've never played any thief games so Stephen Russell=Mercer/Belethor for me which is kinda eh

Otoh: blink-kicking dudes off buildings looks fantastic

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

game is going to be a part of some big game event in the UK the next few days, so people will get to actually get hands-on impressions for the first time. Please god let's get at least 30fps locked for console. I don't want it to run like Deus Ex.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
I'm back again, as a level designer on Dishonored 2. I hope you guys like it! :)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This game looks like a creative murder simulator. I can't wait.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Resource posted:

I'm back again, as a level designer on Dishonored 2. I hope you guys like it! :)

Looks great, thanks for all your hard, work, now give us some scoops.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

MinibarMatchman posted:

game is going to be a part of some big game event in the UK the next few days, so people will get to actually get hands-on impressions for the first time. Please god let's get at least 30fps locked for console. I don't want it to run like Deus Ex.

What's wrong with Mankind Divided on consoles? I was thinking about picking it up sometime after I've completed Dishonored 2 but if it can't even hold a steady 30fps then I'll pass.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Resource posted:

The big question for me - compared to Dishonored 1, are the levels designed more around superpowered murderfests or exploration and interaction? The first game had sections of both and I'm wondering which way this one leans.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Resource posted:

Well, I can't not ask you some questions, but if it isn't cool to answer them, I understand.

What had a greater impact on the level design - new culture/architecture of Karnaca, or the new array of powers?(edit: lol - the black husserl beat me to this one)

When you design a re-visited level (I'm thinking of Clavering Boulevard), what do you think is the best way to maintain player interest? At least for me, there's always a "I already saw this" feeling when I go somewhere I've already been - Prague in Mankind Divided is the latest example - and it has to be hard to keep an old level fresh. Any approach you favor in particular?

I noticed that the levels in the first Dishonored each come with a different color palette to set the tone (eg oranges and reds in the Hounds Pits Pub and Greaves Whaling; washed out browns and dark greens in the Flooded District; the garish and creepy white in Brigmore Manor). Is there a particular palette for Karnaca?

Incidentally, that cover of Gold Dust Woman I linked in the OP is loving incredible.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 22, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cnidaria posted:

Here's a new gameplay video:

I am extremely happy that the kick makes a triumphant return from Dark Messiah. It appears to be an upgrade for blink now so you can't spam it but the new kick seems way more powerful.

Let's hope they didn't disincentivize you from actually doing any of this the way dishonored 1 did. Very good game, but providing two playstyles so different that they were almost different game genres and then considering those playstyles to be your story choices, was a mistake. As was giving one of those playstyles about five times the options and making it way faster/easier than the other. If it was really important to make lethal/nonlethal have such big consequences in the game's setting, then there should have been as many options for nonlethal as for lethal, and a loud-nonlethal counterpart to silent-lethal.

Wanting to have more fun with the gameplay means I had to choose not to care about the setting, which is lame because dishonored's setting is really unique, and obviously I would rather be invested in the story than not.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Nonlethal and ghosting has never been the focus. Its not Thief.
They kept pushing their "Revenge solves everything." Tagline and showing sick kill combo vids.
You might as well argue that Bioshock, Doom and Half-life 2's pacifist gameplay is lacking.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Digirat posted:

Let's hope they didn't disincentivize you from actually doing any of this the way dishonored 1 did. Very good game, but providing two playstyles so different that they were almost different game genres and then considering those playstyles to be your story choices, was a mistake. As was giving one of those playstyles about five times the options and making it way faster/easier than the other. If it was really important to make lethal/nonlethal have such big consequences in the game's setting, then there should have been as many options for nonlethal as for lethal, and a loud-nonlethal counterpart to silent-lethal.

Wanting to have more fun with the gameplay means I had to choose not to care about the setting, which is lame because dishonored's setting is really unique, and obviously I would rather be invested in the story than not.

Just play the game twice, no big deal. :shrug:

It's nice they had :airquote:differing:airquote: content based on playstyle.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the story reacting to how i played was actually cool as hell and made me more invested in the world, not less

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Wellwinds posted:

I've never played any thief games so Stephen Russell=Mercer/Belethor for me which is kinda eh

Otoh: blink-kicking dudes off buildings looks fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEQMUZufSyw is a compilation of the thief cutscenes. They've aged fairly well. Russell's Garrett is just the right kind of rear end in a top hat.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SUNKOS posted:

What's wrong with Mankind Divided on consoles? I was thinking about picking it up sometime after I've completed Dishonored 2 but if it can't even hold a steady 30fps then I'll pass.

it played fine on ps4 it dipped a few times but i didn't notice anything consistent

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Nonlethal and ghosting has never been the focus. Its not Thief.
They kept pushing their "Revenge solves everything." Tagline and showing sick kill combo vids.
You might as well argue that Bioshock, Doom and Half-life 2's pacifist gameplay is lacking.

None of those comparisons make any goddamn sense.

It is flat out not (intentionally) possible to beat any of those games without killing a massive number of enemies, they have 0 nonlethal options to deal with anything, and your playstyle changes nothing about their endings in any way. Dishonored lets you play without killing a single person (and supports this to the point of having an achievement for it), gives you a couple options explicitly meant to be nonlethal such as sleep bolts, has unique nonlethal resolutions to every single mission that the game acknowledges as you progress, and has a completely different ending based on chaos. The devs put a lot of work into making the setting acknowledge what you did and that's great. Then they gave one of those routes a tiny number of options compared to the other, which means there is much less of a game there if you either want to play nonlethally or want to get low chaos.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Goddamn Blink Assault looks like fantastic fun. As does Emily's Yo-Yo grab. Getting serious Mass Effect biotic fuckery vibes.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
GOTY is less than two months away, all. :allears:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
FUUUCK I just realized Emily is able to Domino link these poor motherfuckers to her own Doppleganger.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

If you don't care about spoilers here's the achievements.
http://cdnstatic.bethsoft.com/dishonored.com/Dishonored2_AchievementChecklist-02.jpg

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Bethesda is being hilariously greedy about this release. Usually the games are straight 40-50 % off of normal price in my region. All major releases I bought recently adhere to this policy - DX:Mankind Divided, Stellaris, TW:Warhammer, even No man's sky. But not Bethesda, no. 60 bucks, take it or leave it. Some dude from India (who normally get the biggest Steam discount) said they generously sell in for 50 dollars in India.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Can't wait to pay 120USD for this in Australia

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wait so Delilah's the antagonist? The one from the Daud dlc? I haven't been following the sequel too closely.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait so Delilah's the antagonist? The one from the Daud dlc? I haven't been following the sequel too closely.

Yes.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

game is apparently PC build at the EGX game expo in the UK this week so no word on console specific performance. impressions I've read just on twitter are positive though.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
This isn't official as it's never explicitly stated in the DLC, but it seems pretty likely that Delilah is the late Empress Jessamine's half-sister.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Hannibal Rex posted:

This isn't official as it's never explicitly stated in the DLC, but it seems pretty likely that Delilah is the late Empress Jessamine's half-sister.

:stare:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hannibal Rex posted:

It doesn't seem like a big surprise considering the pre-order pack has a poster that says something about "imposter to the true throne" and whatnot. I assumed the poster was inferring that Delilah was Emily's twin sister though but I guess I was wrong.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

it's pretty heavily implied in daud's DLCs

anyway i'm really hoping a BigBoot can be used to just KO people under certain circumstances - it looks way too fun to pass up but my first run will probably be clean hands. of course, that said, i hope there's a lot more non-lethal stuff all around. Daud's DLC added a few fun toys for that but i still wanted the opportunity to just slug a dude in his face and not kill him

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Eh, I don't see why they felt the need to recycle a villain whom players have already killed/banished. It's like Darth Vader showing up in Episode 8 alive and still hating the Jedi.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Eh, I don't see why they felt the need to recycle a villain whom players have already killed/banished. It's like Darth Vader showing up in Episode 8 alive and still hating the Jedi.

I waffled a while on this when I first heard about it. in the end I figured it'll all depend on how they use her, but really, villains weren't the first game's strong suit. Burrows and the rest weren't much more than caricatures. The only antagonist in the first game with any kind of real depth was Daud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

3Romeo posted:

I waffled a while on this when I first heard about it. in the end I figured it'll all depend on how they use her, but really, villains weren't the first game's strong suit. Burrows and the rest weren't much more than caricatures. The only antagonist in the first game with any kind of real depth was Daud.

burrows did a great starscream, pretending he was great while simultaneously loving himself over with a hilariously stupid plan

• Locked thread