Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

Flight computer crashes

"Excuse me is there a Computer Engineer on this plane??"

Yosposter walks to cockpit and inspects computer

"Your operating system. . . is a piece of poo poo"

Excuse me stewardess, but I speak meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

this thread is also applicable to the vast majority of automotive engineers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cat Face Joe posted:

this thread is also applicable to the vast majority of automotive engineers

i lust for industrial exemption death

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's me i'm the firm unchanging project scope, hallmark of the engineering discipline

traditional engineering projects change scope all the time, it's usually terrible (see: pentagon wars)

just because we have software firms that can iterate reasonably successfully in the face of requirements changes doesn't make them not engineering, it means they're playing to the unique strength of the medium

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i am an engineer

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana

Bloody posted:

i am an engineer

wrong forum

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

computeronomy and computerology

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cocoa Crispies posted:

traditional engineering projects change scope all the time, it's usually terrible (see: pentagon wars)

just because we have software firms that can iterate reasonably successfully in the face of requirements changes doesn't make them not engineering, it means they're playing to the unique strength of the medium

let me go ahead and link this for you since it always comes up

1. The product is only as good as the plan for the product. At the on-board shuttle group, about one-third of the process of writing software happens before anyone writes a line of code. NASA and the Lockheed Martin group agree in the most minute detail about everything the new code is supposed to do — and they commit that understanding to paper, with the kind of specificity and precision usually found in blueprints. Nothing in the specs is changed without agreement and understanding from both sides. And no coder changes a single line of code without specs carefully outlining the change. Take the upgrade of the software to permit the shuttle to navigate with Global Positioning Satellites, a change that involves just 1.5% of the program, or 6,366 lines of code. The specs for that one change run 2,500 pages, a volume thicker than a phone book. The specs for the current program fill 30 volumes and run 40,000 pages.

"Our requirements are almost pseudo-code," says William R. Pruett, who manages the software project for NASA. "They say, you must do exactly this, do it exactly this way, given this condition and this circumstance."

This careful design process alone is enough to put the shuttle organization in a class by itself, says John Munson of the University of Idaho. Most organizations launch into even big projects without planning what the software must do in blueprint-like detail. So after coders have already started writing a program, the customer is busily changing its design. The result is chaotic, costly programming where code is constantly being changed and infected with errors, even as it is being designed.

"Most people choose to spend their money at the wrong end of the process," says Munson. "In the modern software environment, 80% of the cost of the software is spent after the software is written the first time — they don't get it right the first time, so they spend time flogging it. In shuttle, they do it right the first time. And they don't change the software without changing the blueprint. That's why their software is so perfect."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

and of course buildings never have dumbass customers change designs on them

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

let me go ahead and link this for you since it always comes up

1. The product is only as good as the plan for the product. At the on-board shuttle group, about one-third of the process of writing software happens before anyone writes a line of code. NASA and the Lockheed Martin group agree in the most minute detail about everything the new code is supposed to do — and they commit that understanding to paper, with the kind of specificity and precision usually found in blueprints. Nothing in the specs is changed without agreement and understanding from both sides. And no coder changes a single line of code without specs carefully outlining the change. Take the upgrade of the software to permit the shuttle to navigate with Global Positioning Satellites, a change that involves just 1.5% of the program, or 6,366 lines of code. The specs for that one change run 2,500 pages, a volume thicker than a phone book. The specs for the current program fill 30 volumes and run 40,000 pages.

"Our requirements are almost pseudo-code," says William R. Pruett, who manages the software project for NASA. "They say, you must do exactly this, do it exactly this way, given this condition and this circumstance."

This careful design process alone is enough to put the shuttle organization in a class by itself, says John Munson of the University of Idaho. Most organizations launch into even big projects without planning what the software must do in blueprint-like detail. So after coders have already started writing a program, the customer is busily changing its design. The result is chaotic, costly programming where code is constantly being changed and infected with errors, even as it is being designed.

"Most people choose to spend their money at the wrong end of the process," says Munson. "In the modern software environment, 80% of the cost of the software is spent after the software is written the first time — they don't get it right the first time, so they spend time flogging it. In shuttle, they do it right the first time. And they don't change the software without changing the blueprint. That's why their software is so perfect."

I don't think I'd call full losses on 2 of 5 vehicles as 'perfect'

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

and of course buildings never have dumbass customers change designs on them

they don't

it's why we have contracts in the first place

unless you're tolkien about architectural details which isn't really the same thing at all

ofc there's always provisions for adding additional scope or w/e but that requires an addendum contract which means a lot more money and time

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

otoh, the software probably functioned just fine right until it was scattered across western texas

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

there's a lady where i work whose title is Technical Marketing Engineer

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
yeah that's an available option when you don't have to impress investors/execs before cash runs out

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they don't

it's why we have contracts in the first place

unless you're tolkien about architectural details which isn't really the same thing at all

ofc there's always provisions for adding additional scope or w/e but that requires an addendum contract which means a lot more money and time

governments love their change orders

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

maniacdevnull posted:

I don't think I'd call full losses on 2 of 5 vehicles as 'perfect'
remind me how software was implicated in those failures ??

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this presumes both requirements that can be completely documented and don't change, and an end to the process, which isn't necessarily true for most software

look at facebook: yeah the original goal was so zuck could prove to rooney mara's character that he wasn't a bad person, but the goal and definition of success for the project has grown and changed in the last thirteen years in completely unforseeable ways

so much of the process for it doesn't depend on prototypes or similar design artifacts because modern web software engineering focuses on making "idk ship it to some percent of users and see what breaks" strictly better and cheaper than it's ever been

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
facebook is an advertising company

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

facebook is an advertising company

as such they depend on showing ads to users, which means they have to meet ever-changing requirements to be interesting while being fast and reliable or they don't get paid

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
you're missing the point

iterative work on a computer or designing advertising for the internet isn't engineering

i understand that it's preferable to make that kinda work sound more meaningful but phrases like

Cocoa Crispies posted:

modern web software engineering

are p lol to the people who design things that matter

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

Flight computer crashes

"Excuse me is there a Computer Engineer on this plane??"

Yosposter walks to cockpit and inspects computer

"Your operating system. . . is a piece of poo poo"

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you're missing the point

iterative work on a computer or designing advertising for the internet isn't engineering

i understand that it's preferable to make that kinda work sound more meaningful but phrases like

are p lol to the people who design things that matter

as a software engineer, people's second lives depend on the quality of my dick bridges and cock condos

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i may not agree w/ the w-hat fetus cannon but i will die defending the goons' right to have one

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

remind me how software was implicated in those failures ??

the Cluster failure was because assertions were turned off + integer overflow

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Just FYI, that space shuttle software article was written in 1996. For context, Windows 95 had just been dragged kicking and screaming into the world. Lots of people were still running Windows 3.1. PC software was almost universally terrible.

The shuttle software group was also insanely expensive IIRC. Like, $25 million/year kind of expensive. Literally no one can afford to spend that much and take that long to make small, incremental changes to software that isn't safety critical.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 11, 2016

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

OldAlias posted:

the Cluster failure was because assertions were turned off + integer overflow

The flight software for the Arianne 5 rocket that failed was written by a different team, at a different company, in a different country, for a different space program. And they probably didn't follow the shuttle software group's extreme practices. They just reused the flight software from the Arianne 4 and didn't bother testing it on the Arianne 5 (even in simulation) before doing an actual launch.

Neither of the space shuttle's failures were caused by its software.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Doc Block posted:

That group was also insanely expensive IIRC. Like, $25 million/year kind of expensive. Literally no one can afford to spend that much and take that long to make small, incremental changes to software that isn't safety critical.

lmao

like maybe as a species we could afford maybe a hundred different pieces of software

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

i am a nerd, i will not go quietly into the night, i will rage, rage against pedantically trivial things like usage of the word engineer until my dying breath

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
again, commercial software devs do it differently from public contractors not because they're all dumb/evil but because they work for business ideologues who insist on things like shipping demos and cutting out QA and forcing code reuse. this isn't even a secret

like half the problem in the therac-25 case was the ideology-soaked customer rep who kept reassuring hospitals that the equipment couldn't fail

another example: when i worked at realnetworks in the 2000s i was on a project to develop the next release of their game download application. think steam but for cheaper games (in fact i suspect that i was there because valve hired away the previous dev team). every few months a new product manager would come in with a completely different vision but of course we had to reuse all of the code written on the previous manager's watch, no excuses, and that is exactly the antipattern that led to both the therac-25 and ariane V failures

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 11, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Gazpacho posted:

another example: when i worked at realnetworks in the 2000s

loll

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i'll put my resume up against anyone's

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
here's my resume:

buffering...

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gazpacho posted:

i'll put my resume up against anyone's

okay but be warned, mine doesn't say "RealNetworks" on it

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Suspicious posted:

here's my resume:

buffering...

easy but funny

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Lol same

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
oh sure i bet you just pick a listing you want and show up for work no questions asked

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Cocoa Crispies posted:

this presumes both requirements that can be completely documented and don't change, and an end to the process, which isn't necessarily true for most software

look at facebook: yeah the original goal was so zuck could prove to rooney mara's character that he wasn't a bad person, but the goal and definition of success for the project has grown and changed in the last thirteen years in completely unforseeable ways

so much of the process for it doesn't depend on prototypes or similar design artifacts because modern web software engineering focuses on making "idk ship it to some percent of users and see what breaks" strictly better and cheaper than it's ever been

The space shuttle was a safety critical system

This is why verification and validation are so important in the prototyping stage

You can't afford to fix it later because if one crashes it's a complete disaster

Which is why Tesla's """autopilot"""" is an insult to control engineers

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My posting qualifies under the shitpost cottage industry exemption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!
lol at pen and paper pushing fuckers trying to steal the the working man's credibility. railroad, marine, and operating engineers kick your asses.

• Locked thread