Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Menacer posted:

lol at pen and paper pushing fuckers trying to steal the the working man's credibility. railroad, marine, and operating engineers kick your asses.

operating engineers make bank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

thats a wide range of what is considered 'bank'

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm not sure you know what the phrase "make bank" means

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
whoosh

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

Flight computer crashes

"Excuse me is there a Computer Engineer on this plane??"

Yosposter walks to cockpit and inspects computer

"Your operating system. . . is a piece of poo poo"

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh its not about the credibility that comes with the title now that real jobs are part of the discussion lol

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i'm a "small e" type of engineer

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

i create technical solutions for people which requires a bit of "engineering" skill but i don't have the degree or the heady scent of my own butt constantly flowing through my nostrils

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Engineer is my favorite class in tf2 when I wanna just chill and drink a beer while playing.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

lol

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

was i owned? someone tell me if im getting owned plz

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
realpost i am an industrial exemption engineer.

what i do, computer performance and functional modeling in simulation, is clearly engineering, but no safety is involved.

you make computers, you are, by definition, engineering a physical device to meet certain physical performance, die area, power, etc. but you don't actually make anything that is safety critical, does that mean you are not engineering? maybe, idk, i think that is why the industrial exemption exists.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

maniacdevnull posted:

was i owned? someone tell me if im getting owned plz

faarts

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
hey op I think I'm actually an analyst

a systems analyst

am I a real analyst or is that bullshit?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i have an engineering degree. software engineering, even. my job involves a lot of writing software, but nothing that i'd call engineering. no engineering rigor or anything.

i think there are probably some people somewhere in the world doing real software engineering. i've never met them though.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
serious talk, it's kinda funny how programmers tend to overrate engineers

"oh my job isn't engineering really. engineers are serious professionals who do things consistently right, not me for sure"

it's such an out of place humility

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm not dissing engineering, I'm just saying that we're all failtards in the same way.

engineers are more important for society in general though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Symbolic Butt posted:

a systems analyst

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Menacer posted:

lol at pen and paper pushing fuckers trying to steal the the working man's credibility. railroad, marine, and operating engineers kick your asses.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Symbolic Butt posted:

a systems analyst

anal cyst more like

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

my boss suggested i say 'engineered a solution' instead of 'bodge in a hack' when talking in front of clients for some reason

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I believe the phrase is "computer science-ist"

It is a science, not an engineering

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
but math is a Liberal Art

so by the transitive property computer science is Liberal Arts

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
whats wrong with a craft? newspaper writing is a craft, aint no shame in it.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

but math is a Liberal Art

so by the transitive property computer science is Liberal Arts

computer science is a mathematical science. so "Liberal Arts Science" ?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
how is it a science there's no predictive experiments

or is it like library science where they just add it on there to make the students not sound so much like dorks

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Debugging is the scientific method over and over again, forever.

Every time you run a program it is an experiment.

Don't believe me?

If you know what a program is going to do before you run it, then you have violated the Church-Turing thesis.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

computer science is empirical and has predictive experiments you bozos, read some fuckin newell

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
yea it predicts that you're a fuckin nerd

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
so it's accurate too!

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

dev mf ops!

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

sometimes engineering is more art than engineering, morty

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
my abet software engineering degree was cool because it taught me all the things actual companies never do because deadlines/budget. so instead of just knowing our software is garbage I know that the systems producing said garbage are garbage as well.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

let me go ahead and link this for you since it always comes up

1. The product is only as good as the plan for the product. At the on-board shuttle group, about one-third of the process of writing software happens before anyone writes a line of code. NASA and the Lockheed Martin group agree in the most minute detail about everything the new code is supposed to do — and they commit that understanding to paper, with the kind of specificity and precision usually found in blueprints. Nothing in the specs is changed without agreement and understanding from both sides. And no coder changes a single line of code without specs carefully outlining the change. Take the upgrade of the software to permit the shuttle to navigate with Global Positioning Satellites, a change that involves just 1.5% of the program, or 6,366 lines of code. The specs for that one change run 2,500 pages, a volume thicker than a phone book. The specs for the current program fill 30 volumes and run 40,000 pages.

"Our requirements are almost pseudo-code," says William R. Pruett, who manages the software project for NASA. "They say, you must do exactly this, do it exactly this way, given this condition and this circumstance."

This careful design process alone is enough to put the shuttle organization in a class by itself, says John Munson of the University of Idaho. Most organizations launch into even big projects without planning what the software must do in blueprint-like detail. So after coders have already started writing a program, the customer is busily changing its design. The result is chaotic, costly programming where code is constantly being changed and infected with errors, even as it is being designed.

"Most people choose to spend their money at the wrong end of the process," says Munson. "In the modern software environment, 80% of the cost of the software is spent after the software is written the first time — they don't get it right the first time, so they spend time flogging it. In shuttle, they do it right the first time. And they don't change the software without changing the blueprint. That's why their software is so perfect."

yeah this

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how is it a science there's no predictive experiments

or is it like library science where they just add it on there to make the students not sound so much like dorks

synopsis: will the build compile & deploy before the demo in two hours?
hypothesis: yes. I hope so at least
experiment: ./build.sh -full_install > install.log
findings: lol nope

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

b0red posted:

dev mf ops!

what's the visual equivalent of tone-deafness?

i see this kind of poo poo all the time with scientists and nerds (check out the graphic design of an average scientific conference poster sometime) and it repeatedly confirms that you should have to pass a test to be allowed to produce publicly viewable presentation materials

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I wear a yellow jumpsuit and push buttons that reroute power to the warp engines am I an engineer?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Necc0 posted:

my abet software engineering degree was cool

wait how do you have a degree in engineering the software from the autistic guy on community?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

ShadowHawk posted:

I wear a yellow jumpsuit and push buttons that reroute power to the warp engines am I an engineer?

No you'd be a Beastie Boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Necc0 posted:

synopsis: will the build compile & deploy before the demo in two hours?
hypothesis: yes. I hope so at least
experiment: ./build.sh -full_install > install.log
findings: lol nope

lol don't use Linux scripts to do builds.

• Locked thread