Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Moridin920 posted:

yeah but let's be real you don't want to go to 99% of the USA 99.99% of the time you are in it

like once in a great while you can take a car trip and then you can just rent a car or whatever bc you wouldn't take your daily driver on a big road trip like a rube anyway, right?

1. wrong
2. Why wouldn't I want to take my daily driver on a road trip? It's a pre-2000 Volvo, so it'll last a very, very long time, and highway miles are easier on the car than city driving.
3. I like highway driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

atomicthumbs posted:

1. wrong
2. Why wouldn't I want to take my daily driver on a road trip? It's a pre-2000 Volvo, so it'll last a very, very long time, and highway miles are easier on the car than city driving.
3. I like highway driving.

1. k well i bought my car and have put 22k miles on it since and they've all been inside LA/orange/SD and Vegas, all of which is easily Tesla territory.

2. well if you have some shitbird Volvo then sure lol but I'm talking about adults with decent cars they don't want to load a ton of miles onto here

3. not relevant to anything. so do I.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

1. k well i bought my car and have put 22k miles on it since and they've all been inside LA/orange/SD and Vegas, all of which is easily Tesla territory.

2. well if you have some shitbird Volvo then sure lol but I'm talking about adults with nice cars here

3. not relevant to anything. so do I.

wh'ats your car bitch

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

and have you ever lived outside a major metropolitan area

and why did you buy a new car, instead of leasing? the depreciation is gonna be killin' you man

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The term Daily Driver makes me very angry.

Its a loving car. A CAR.

Sometimes I think America is more at odds with the Western World than Russia is.

Also "stick shift?" IT'S A MANUAL GEARBOX!!!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

atomicthumbs posted:

and have you ever lived outside a major metropolitan area

and why did you buy a new car, instead of leasing? the depreciation is gonna be killin' you man

it's just a 2015 mazda 3 and the monthly payment was super low (ended up paying it off because of a small windfall anyway)

look im just saying 'the coasts' is actually where most of the population is and most people don't really take super long road trips in their daily drivers very often so I don't think that's really a big burn on Tesla

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

it's just a 2015 mazda 3

mine's faster and I bet it makes better noises too and I can sleep in it on camping trips :smug:

Moridin920 posted:

look im just saying 'the coasts' is actually where most of the population is and most people don't really take super long road trips in their daily drivers very often so I don't think that's really a big burn on Tesla

all I know is that I'm living in the east bay area right now and if I drove a tesla model s instead of a volvo I would have to rent another, slower, less expensive car to go visit my dad, who lives in mendocino county.

spud posted:

Its a loving car. A CAR.

Sometimes I think America is more at odds with the Western World than Russia is.

the "daily driver" is the car you drive to work every day, in contrast to a possible "project car," a truck used for working tasks, or an old convertible. many americans are affluent enough to own more than one car. I, in fact, own two; the other one is a 1988 Volvo 240 which was my first car and has broken down the same amount of times as my current 1998 V70R (none).

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 10, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spud posted:

Its a loving car. A CAR.

that's retarded

my dad has 2 cars. one is his 'daily driver' because that's the car he drives in his day to day. the other is the one he drives when he goes out to Vegas or whatever (better gas mileage).

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

atomicthumbs posted:

still nobody can answer the question of what an autopilot tesla does in reaction to a megawatt of pulsed rf at 2.4ghz aimed at the front radar

in all fairness thats an example similar to a situation of someone throwing rocks at cars from an overpass. when someone wants to go out of their way to mess with traffic, they generally succeed, even if its keying someones door.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Tautologicus posted:

in all fairness thats an example similar to a situation of someone throwing rocks at cars from an overpass. when someone wants to go out of their way to mess with traffic, they generally succeed, even if its keying someones door.

you can't key someone's door in traffic though, and i'm not working on a way to throw rocks from an overpass

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i used to go to overpasses with my friends in hs and pee onto cars

what do you think of that mr musk

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

atomicthumbs posted:

you can't key someone's door in traffic though, and i'm not working on a way to throw rocks from an overpass

destroy all self driving cars before they destroy themselves

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Tautologicus posted:

destroy all self driving cars before they destroy themselves

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

looks like you might have an answer real soon then

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Tautologicus posted:

looks like you might have an answer real soon then

i'll fire whatever i'm powering with this thing at a tesla if someone volunteers their tesla, but the second most likely thing is that i just use it to blow up old electronic junk and stuff for youtube

most likely thing is i never finish it

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

atomicthumbs posted:

mine's faster and I bet it makes better noises too and I can sleep in it on camping trips :smug:

all I know is that I'm living in the east bay area right now and if I drove a tesla model s instead of a volvo I would have to rent another, slower, less expensive car to go visit my dad, who lives in mendocino county.

the "daily driver" is the car you drive to work every day, in contrast to a possible "project car," a truck used for working tasks, or an old convertible. many americans are affluent enough to own more than one car. I, in fact, own two; the other one is a 1988 Volvo 240 which was my first car and has broken down the same amount of times as my current 1998 V70R (none).

I know what a daily driver is.

Not sure it's about affluence...more about space and cheapness of fuel....oh and also no road tax at all.

I pay $712 dollars just have my car on the road...doesn't matter if I actually drive it or not.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
humans will never be able to make a thing that is as complex as this thing that already exists

~ a massive idiot

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

runupon cracker posted:

humans will never be able to make a thing that is as complex as this thing that already exists

~ a massive idiot

It exists, and it's real, and it murders people

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Nice meltdown OP.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Call me when they make self driving bicycles

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

atomicthumbs posted:

a robot killed a guy in dallas but that robot was being controlled by a human, so don't bother posting about it in here. post cars that murder people by themselves, especially if they have an ipad in the dashboard, or instead of one

all those pictures are from human drivers?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

pretend i put the effort in to make a map of the united states with tiny little shaded blobs on the coasts and maybe in austin and chicago to indicate where you can drive with a tesla.

abloo bloo how will i get to shitsville, flyover, america and get reamed by a cow or yell about stairs at the somethingawful.com storefront

p clearly a feature and not a bug

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I'm not sure what that thing is but I'm sure it does a real number on your nips so good job.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

robots bad

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Self-driving cars are going to be super awesome.

The only thing better would be if cars were banned entirely all over the world.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

How much did that guy spend on a car that doesn't have AC?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my dad once crashed through the glass front of an office at the bottom of a hill. it was a an aa office and he was very drunk.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The roll that ended his career

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

lmao

German authority would not have approved beta-phase Tesla autopilot

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/752190828798353408

shadowvine118 posted:

How much did that guy spend on a car that doesn't have AC?

This solar furnace starts at $35,000.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Moridin920 posted:

2. well if you have some shitbird Volvo then sure lol but I'm talking about adults with decent cars they don't want to load a ton of miles onto here

Fuckin lol

What sort of moon man buys a car and thinks "well it cant go long distances, which i want to do sometimes, but thats cool ill just rent another car for that when the time comes" *thinks about how much maitenence and resale hes saving while driving his 75 dollar a day hire car down the highway*

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

atomicthumbs posted:

It exists, and it's real, and it murders people

yeah I don't think you can prove intent but ok

also regular cars cause lots of deaths but I don't see you melting down over those, why the double standard?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

Driver of vehicle that costs $120,000, can't ever venture further than 125 miles from its charging station or risk getting stuck, has a worse interior than a ford fusion, and which has a computer whose function is to randomly murder the occupants of the car: I love my luxury car. It's very fast. Good acceleration

I bought a tesla and it's dumb as heck and i'm not buying another one after this one is stolen or broken into or drives itself into the harbor.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

abigserve posted:

Fuckin lol

What sort of moon man buys a car and thinks "well it cant go long distances, which i want to do sometimes, but thats cool ill just rent another car for that when the time comes" *thinks about how much maitenence and resale hes saving while driving his 75 dollar a day hire car down the highway*

Are you retarded? Why would I drive an E55 AMG to Vegas when I could just rent a nice car instead and not have the beast suck down all my gas? $75/day pff you must be retarded. Costs like half that for a decent car with way better mileage.

obv my car CAN get to Vegas, but I can also just spend $100 and have a decent rental for the weekend.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

all those pictures are from human drivers?

At least two of those are for sure human error, I can remember the specific news story. One is in dispute I guess because the wife claims she definitely didn't push the wrong pedal and the autopilot definitely just came on and crashed her car even though none of the sensor/computer data corroborates that (ie she hit the wrong pedal and is trying to sue Tesla about it).

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 11, 2016

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Serious Frolicking posted:

my dad once crashed through the glass front of an office at the bottom of a hill. it was a an aa office and he was very drunk.

at least he went to the right place :unsmith:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Are you retarded? Why would I drive an E55 AMG to Vegas when I could just rent a nice car instead and not have the beast suck down all my gas? $75/day pff you must be retarded. Costs like half that for a decent car with way better mileage.

obv my car CAN get to Vegas, but I can also just spend $100 and have a decent rental for the weekend.

At least two of those are for sure human error, I can remember the specific news story. One is in dispute I guess because the wife claims she definitely didn't push the wrong pedal and the autopilot definitely just came on and crashed her car even though none of the sensor/computer data corroborates that (ie she hit the wrong pedal and is trying to sue Tesla about it).

Gas mileage is pretty important to me which is why I both own a european sports sedan and make sure to only drive it in the city traffic to work and not out on the highway - a stupid person

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
also teslas don't have loving ACs lmfao are you joking

I'd make a joke about being brain damaged but the heat stroke probably does that by itself

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Who told you they don't have AC? Ofc they have AC. If they didn't have AC the battery would overheat.

abigserve posted:

Gas mileage is pretty important to me which is why I both own a european sports sedan and make sure to only drive it in the city traffic to work and not out on the highway - a stupid person

you're right there's 0 reason anyone would ever own more than 1 car, bc that 1 car should be able to fill every single vehicular need you may ever have.

idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Who told you they don't have AC? Ofc they have AC. If they didn't have AC the battery would overheat.

you're right there's 0 reason anyone would ever own more than 1 car, bc that 1 car should be able to fill every single vehicular need you may ever have.

idiot

Im rich enough to afford "occaisonal" cars but I rent lovely econo boxes for my weekends away to save miniscule amounts on gas money

Hell yeah dude you ballin, when the girls ask you for a ride in the merc do you ask them not to use the heated seats because it fucks up your mileage calculations

• Locked thread