Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
And the best character in the Resistance franchise is--
Nathan Hale
Joseph Capelli
Seriously, crow, update PoP2008
View Results

• Locked thread
No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm Polish and know no Russian, but we have enough of similarity in the language to be close enough for a first shave.

Pizda = oval office.
Vy Chertovskie Lodkie = <something, maybe "you"?> devil's boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ravenholm! On a boat!

Blyat = "bitch", "whore", "gently caress" as an interjection which can be used absolutely anywhere in a sentence.
Der'mo = poo poo.

"Vy Chertovskie Lodkie" - I'm Russian I have no clue what he's saying. It's not even Alpha Protocol's "In case of fire break glass, gently caress geese" level of language.
Looks like a really bad translation for "You drat boat!"

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SelenicMartian posted:

"Vy Chertovskie Lodkie" - I'm Russian I have no clue what he's saying. It's not even Alpha Protocol's "In case of fire break glass, gently caress geese" level of language.

Yeah, I think it is broken Russian. Sounds like the Polish plural "you" as the first word. The pronunciation is horrible.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Gotta say, while there's plenty of good visual atmosphere in this level, I can think of two easy ways to get me more invested in what's going on:

1) Music. I don't know if this got drowned out by the commentary track, but just adding basic tense music would have really upped the "holy poo poo" factor.

2) Malikov's voice acting. Seriously, the guy just sounds so uninvested in what's going on. Was the actor just doing a straight reading of these lines? Come on, man, put some emotion into it!

Apep727 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 24, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

quote:

various swear words

Ha, bad translation aside, I'm happy to hear Malikov is swearing like a sailor while on a boat.

Apep727 posted:

Gotta say, while there's plenty of good visual atmosphere in this level, I can think of two easy ways to get me more invested in what's going on:

1) Music. I don't know if this got drowned out by the commentary track, but just adding basic tense music would have really upped the "holy poo poo" factor.

2) Malikov's voice acting. Seriously, the guy just sounds so uninvested in what's going on. Was the actor just doing a straight reading of these lines? Come on, man, put some emotion into it!

I don't believe there is any music on the boat level. I think that was part of Insomniac's way of creating the eerie atmosphere--you know, serenade the player with the howls of Longlegs and the gurgles of Grims.

Believe it or not, Malikov's voice actor for Resistance 3 is none other than Metal Gear Solid's Roy Campbell--well, Paul Eiding. (Greg Ellis aka Jonny Rees played Malikov in Resistance 2). I haven't played Metal Gear Solid in ages and I never played the sequels so I can't attest to how good a voice actor he is there.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I propose another skul-gun: Malikov hasn't spoken in Russian with anyone for so long that his grasp of the language is kind of a mess, kind of like how whenever Schwarzenegger speaks German everyone there collectively facepalms.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
At the start of this level a woman asks about her daughter. 6 years old, brown eyes, dark hair.
Is that a Silent Hill reference or am I just paranoid?

Have never played any of the resistance games. But after the primer video. All I can think when Capelli speaks is " and why the hell isn't he angry "

Waiting to see if this LP will have the Third Birthday plot twist....

White Coke
May 29, 2015
So how come the Feral Chimera don't need cooling stacks? Or do they nest in scavenged refrigerators when they aren't hunting prey?

Crocodylus Pontifex
Jul 26, 2007
The Space Pope!

White Coke posted:

So how come the Feral Chimera don't need cooling stacks? Or do they nest in scavenged refrigerators when they aren't hunting prey?

There are a few possible answers for that. One possibility is that since the Chimera have been terraforming the planet it has reached a temperature where the Feral Chimera can survive without their cooling stacks. If you're referring to why they never had them in the first place, they were never intended to be used as soldiers, they were basically made to be a mob that would seek out and kill any survivors that the main Chimera force missed before dying off themselves. More than likely though it's a combination of the two, where it's cold enough that their lifespan has been significantly increased, but they're still slowly being cooked from the inside out.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Maybe they would have died before long in a warmer climate before the Chimera would have had to deal with them.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

NeruVolpi posted:

Waiting to see if this LP will have the Third Birthday plot twist....

What's a Third Birthday plot twist???

White Coke posted:

They DO need a cooling stack! They just never get one and are doomed to die horrible deaths where their bodies are cooked from the inside out. I mean, the planet is cooling, so it appears that Grims are surviving longer than they used to, but they still don't have pleasant ends. As they age, their blood becomes more toxic and ridden with bacteria. Massive disgusting cysts of toxic oozing blood begin to grow and form on their bodies until they basically resemble the Toxic Avenger. At some point, their bodies are so bloated with disgusting diseased puss that something bumps against them and they just explode.

However, before a Grim becomes a Grim, it starts off in a Spinner cocoon. These cocoons seem to be able to survive for extended periods of time (in Resistance 2, two years after Chicago was bombarded with spires, Grim cocoons still sat waiting in the city). Grims tend to only "hatch" when something disturbs their slumber, at which point they burst out and begin the true Grim lifecycle.

w/r/t other feral Chimera, I have no idea how Leapers actually work. Crawlers exist, those that don't infect humans turn into Leapers, presumably the older Leapers are the ones that can spit toxins, then I guess they die? The fact that Feral Chimera exist and that they're definitely different from regular Chimera is a new concept to humanity. In Resistance 2, everyone just assumed all Chimera were on the same side.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

No bloody idea, but Id's LP of it just went up on the Archive so now you can read through it without having to also wade into the standard "The Dark Id LP Thread Filth" that tends to quickly crust up around his efforts. Though knowing Post-XIII Square Enix, it's got to be something that's utterly insulting on every conceivable level even beyond turning Aya Brea into a plastic sex doll that is 3rd Birthday's base premise.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Blind Sally posted:

It's when you think the game can't get any dumber in the intro already and still keep getting surprises until the very end.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016

Blind Sally posted:

I'm actually talking about 3 kind of twists here simultaneously.
You should probably read the t3b lp. But even without the "thread filth" it is still pretty unbearable so here it goes...
(If there is any problem with other lp spoilering pls just tell me and I'll edit)

Game goes dumb and erases the previous 2.
Capelli is actually a 13 year old girl.
Capelli is actually killed by an insomniac.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
There are no thread rules here. Spoil whatever you want. That sounds suitably insane, by the way. Resistance 3 is going to have some remarkably dumb moments later on, though, so I'll leave that up to your judgement. :v:

edit: haha, oh jeez, the thread title.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The thread title's tertiary joke was unintentional??? :eyepop:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

NeruVolpi posted:

Game goes dumb and erases the previous 2.
Capelli is actually a 13 year old girl.
Capelli is actually killed by an insomniac.

Playing a game where you kill horrible mutant alien-human hybrids as a psychotic 13 year old girl would be fun. Though if she were trying to save her son it'd get weird.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

White Coke posted:

Playing a game where you kill horrible mutant alien-human hybrids as a psychotic 13 year old girl would be fun. Though if she were trying to save her son it'd get weird.

I'm pretty sure that's just "the plot of RahXephon" :v:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

Probably google translate. Might be a bit old for it but let's look... yep, вы чертовски лодка = you loving boat

White Coke
May 29, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

Does that include trying to save her son?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

i have a feeling i'm going to regret asking, but what the hell is rahxephon? i'm guessing it's some mecha anime bullshit or some plane anime bullshit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

i have a feeling i'm going to regret asking, but what the hell is rahxephon? i'm guessing it's some mecha anime bullshit or some plane anime bullshit.

RahXephon is basically "Evangelion on its meds." Though thanks to stuff like time dilation, immortality, reverse aging, body swapping, and just straight up implied incest, it has the unfortunate side effect of 2/3rds of the cast being related to one another in really hosed up ways.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yup, i regret asking

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
RahXephon is an anime about a dude named kamina (not the kamina you're thinking of) who pilots a badass mech (not the mech you're thinking of) for big old mythology-inspired mech battles (not the mythology-inspired mech battles you're thinking of)

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
It feels worth mentioning that if Joseph really is suffering from antisocial personality disorder, then him mellowing out as he gets older is actually fairly true to life. The disorder is extremely difficult to treat conventionally, and most positive outcomes usually involve people "growing out of it". I imagine this has little to do with the writer's deep longing for another Sad Dad Adventure, but it might help take the sting out of it to think of it this way.

also rahxephon has a dope as hell opening theme

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dazzling Addar posted:

It feels worth mentioning that if Joseph really is suffering from antisocial personality disorder, then him mellowing out as he gets older is actually fairly true to life. The disorder is extremely difficult to treat conventionally, and most positive outcomes usually involve people "growing out of it". I imagine this has little to do with the writer's deep longing for another Sad Dad Adventure, but it might help take the sting out of it to think of it this way.

while true, if i just accepted this and moved on, then this rant LP wouldn't have as much substance to it. Capelli being turned into a generic, bland fps protagonist (whether or not the reasons are realistic) is a key conceit of this thread, as it makes Resistance 3 just that much less interesting.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
The main reason I hate silent protagonists is the fact that sometimes I just wanna say "gently caress it" or maybe punch the stupid dude that wants my help in the face.

Usually they all converge to bland protagonists.
So even though I have never played any of these games I agree on ranting on Capellis' off screen perfect psycho therapy.

One thing books do very well that games usually don't is making the maim character have bad decisions based on good motives.
A bland silent guy could never do this.

Capelli would gently caress up you bastards!:argh:
Why wont you let him gently caress up!!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

SelenicMartian posted:

It's not even Alpha Protocol's "In case of fire break glass, gently caress geese" level of language.

wait, what? this sounds like a good story.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Psion posted:

wait, what? this sounds like a good story.

"In case of fire: steal, kill, gently caress the geese. Wait for dial tone response."

The devs most likely googled basically 'russian fire alarm' or similar looking for russian script to put on the texture and just assumed that the first one they found would be legit. Unfortunately for them, it was not.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

NeruVolpi posted:

I know, right?!? It's only going to get worse.

Also, I realized I forgot to add in journal entries for a number of enemies and weapons in their respective posts. I have gone back and snuck those in. No one noticed, so I figure I got away with it. :mrgw:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NeruVolpi posted:

The main reason I hate silent protagonists is the fact that sometimes I just wanna say "gently caress it" or maybe punch the stupid dude that wants my help in the face.

Usually they all converge to bland protagonists.
So even though I have never played any of these games I agree on ranting on Capellis' off screen perfect psycho therapy.

One thing books do very well that games usually don't is making the maim character have bad decisions based on good motives.
A bland silent guy could never do this.

First off, I would like to say that this is a great term for videogame protagonists and should be used more frequently.

Second, games often do have silent protagonists gently caress up. The problem is, it's usually not drawn from their character. It comes from having a villain out of a bad pantomime put on a mask and and an accent and then acting like it's a shock when they were evil all along. The games let you fail, but they don't let you fail in interesting ways. It's not "YOU loving IDIOT! ...that makes perfect sense from your prospective. I should have known you'd do that. It's a logical extension of your character. Heh. That's pretty well written." it's "Ugh. Fine. Let's get this over with."

Just off the top of my head for that kind of thing, Fire Emblem: Fates: Conquest has you play as the stupidest man alive, but the game treats him like a hero and hopes you won't put together how he ruins everything.

Meanwhile, for a good protagonist, Nier. Saying why he's tragically flawed would spoil a game that does some actually clever things, and you could read an LP anyway, but yeah. It does flawed hero right.

(For a good silent protagonist, Doomguy. He doesn't need dialog to convey his personality. You know he's had it up to here with these demons, and he is going to murder them in the face. That's all you need.)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I'm confused.

I re-watched the LPs of the first two games, and where does this "Angry Capelli" stuff come from? Yes, he's a discipline case as that one intel document revealed, but his moment at the end? He promised to do that in the early portions of the game, and was ready to do it in the transition cutscene between the last two levels. Hale even said "I accept!" or words to that effect when the promise was made.

Sure, he was loud, but he never messed up the mission, and had Hale's back all the way through to the end. So why all the character hate? Is it because he had the audacity to keep his word, or what?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
From the summary video, it seems most of Capelli's history is found in various tie-in media, and the issue is not that he was an angry fuckup, but that he is no longer an angry fuckup.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah, I wouldn't even go so far as a gently caress up. He's a gruff, no-nonsense rear end in a top hat in the first two games if you go by just how he's portrayed (e.g. not reading case files and intelligence because I never did), kind of like Gears of War lite. And then suddenly he's a washout who also happens to be a caring father and husband. It's not a bad place for the character to go, it just feels like they never really mapped out how he got from point A to point B (again ignoring interstitial media because I haven't read/seen any of it).

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

berryjon posted:

I'm confused.

I'm confused too. D-did you not watch the very first video in this LP?

Edit: not trying to be flippant, but I feel that basically all your questions are addressed in that video.

Sally fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 25, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

I'm confused too. D-did you not watch the very first video in this LP?

Edit: not trying to be flippant, but I feel that basically all your questions are addressed in that video.

I... may have skipped it under the first pass review that it was essentially a summary of Resistance 1 and 2 for the people who didn't want to take a few hours to watch the previous LP.

I ... should go fix that now.

BBL.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Oh, the first video is broken down into a few different section.

Resistance: Fall of Man -> Project Abraham -> Resistance 2 -> Capelli's entire backstory

You can jump around accordingly. I apologize, I don't have the exact time stamps on me as I'm mobile atm, but I can get it when I get home. I believe I go in depth on Capelli in last five or six minutes.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

You can jump around accordingly. I apologize, I don't have the exact time stamps on me as I'm mobile atm, but I can get it when I get home. I believe I go in depth on Capelli in last five or six minutes.

Yes, so I see now. You needn't apologize. It was I who killed the video early rather than go all the way through to the end.

But as my experience with this franchise is through the games, I have to wonder just how much the developers were counting on people like me going into Resistance 3, rather than picking up the more detailed backstory in the expanded materials.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
At the very least, you helped me realize that I should probably put something in that first post that tells people that that video isn't JUST a review of the first two games and that they should watch the last few minutes of it. So I went and did that.

But yeah, basically Resistance 1 = great, Resistance 2 = great, Nathan Hale = kinda boring, and Joseph Capelli = gruff rear end in a top hat (but I can dig that). Insomniac presented Capelli as a gruff, tough-talking no-nonsense oorah kind of space marine guy in Resistance 2 then presented him as a quiet, kinda mopey sad dad in Resistance 3. As Scaramouche said, they didn't really map out how he got there, so in Resistance 3 he just feels like another interchangeable sci-fi FPS protagonist rather than, say, the DOOM reboot's Doom Marine with sarcastic banter. Despite that, Insomniac spent a lot of time fleshing out Capelli in online alternate reality games, novels, and comic books only to seemingly abandon that characterization to rip of Viggo Mortensen's performance from The Road. I was a crazy who followed the Resistance extended universe media, so I got invested in that version of Capelli and was let down by Resistance 3 (well, New Capelli was just part of that disappointment).

So I am definitely Team Capelli, but Resistance 3 Capellis is Not My Capelli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Okay, so the LP isn't really over. Malikov and Capelli keep on keeping on. They may have lost their boat, but fortunately they washed up right near a VTOL. Awfully convenient. A bit contrived, maybe. But hey, they get on that VTOL and they can fly the rest of the way. Along the way we meet some supporting characters. Not too much to say about this section right now as we're still in between major plot points. It's fairly fun to play through, though. Particularly the warehouse and the segment where you fight your way through what's left of an apartment building. Finally getting a truly new feeling gun, the Atomizer, is a huge plus. The Deadeye being underwhelming is disappointing. I mean, it's not like I'm expecting the Morph-O-Ray in a Resistance game, but I am holding Insomniac to a higher standard when it comes to interesting weapons. (To be honest, though, turning Chimera into four-eyed chickens would be hilarious).

Anyways, there's a buttload of intel for these two chapters--

Atomizer

"An electricity-based Chimeran riot weapon. It releases lethal shocks of electricity that are extremely effective at short range.

R1 - Press and hold to release short-range electric bolts that auto=target and disintegrate nearby enemies.
R2 - Press to release a localized gravity well that damages nearby enemies and pulls their bodies into the well.

UPGRADE 1:
Arc Charger: As the bolt electricity hits an enemy, if another enemy is near, the bolt will jump to the other enemy.

UPGRADE 2:
The Big Bang: When the gravity well timer has run out, it will blow up in a big explosion."

A really fun gun. Very short range, but you don't really need to aim it. The electrical bolt will shoot out and latch on to whatever is nearby. It's fantastic for eliminating Grims and makes dealing with Leaper swarms an afterthought. The R2 black hole drop is also quite powerful and will suck up anything that gets nearby--except for large enemies, such as Ravagers or Brawlers. That said, they will deal tonnes of damages to Ravagers and the like, making them effective against enemy, really. Like the Auger, ammo is rare, so save it for situations where you need it. Ravagers will drop more Atomizer ammo.

Deadeye

"A Chimeran-based sniper rifle. A powerful zoom scope and high-velocity rounds make this an effective weapon at extremely long range.

R1 - Fires a single supersonic blast of energy with pinpoint accuracy.
R2 - Press to charge up and fire a Proton Charge that disintegrate most enemies with a single shot.

UPGRADE 1:
Deadener: Places a cursor around enemy heads to indicate aim point for a head shot, and unlocks the ability to zoom the Deadeye in and out.

UPGRADE 2:
Phase Shot: The Deadeye's secondary fire will now pass through walls and other solid surfaces."

It's a sniper rifle. It's okay. It has some features that I like. The second upgrade that highlights an enemy's head is a nice feature. The charge shot is okay. When it's fully ugraded, you can use it in conjunction with the Auger to blast at stationary Chimera through walls. It's okay, but it feels like a step down from the Fareye in Resistance: Fall of Man with its time slowdown feature. I miss the Fareye :(

VTOL Instructions

Safety Violation

This letter is in response to case number 12755-15-6647, violation of safety regulation
code section 1910.21(fM26).

This letter herein gives formal warning to C&S INDUSTRIES and all related parties
involved in business at 128 Dockside Rd., St. Louis, MD, 63101. During an inspection on
March 23, 1950, abnormal levels of oxidation and corrosion were discovered on key
support beams within the structure, which could lead to progressive collapse. These
defects must be addressed by a certified third-party building engineer within the next
120 days.

Failure to comply with this warning will result in further warnings.

Sincerely,

David Brist
Code Enforcement Officer and General Inspector

Letter to Santa

Dear Santa,

I want you to make my grampa better and make my gramma stop crying. And I make a
picture that I want you to give my mommy and daddy in heven. And I want more
green crayons.

Love,
Betty

Gotta Get Out

I got to get out of this city. Charlie and the other Remnants say it's safer with them, but
they're crazy. They keep picking fights with the Chimera. Like it's game or something.
I'll be safer on my own.

Tragic Paradox

"The Chimera are parasitic organisms, driven by a hive mind. We know this because of
Nathan Hale. After he became infected, he struggled to control it, but he succumbed to
the hive mind. It is a tragic paradox. To understand the Chimeran plan, one must
become Chimeran. There must be some other way."

Tunguska

"I have traced the origin of the Chimera virus back to the Tunguska meteor impact of
1908. If the virus was introduced via extraterrestrial means, then it must logically
follow that some type of Chimera exist elsewhere in the universe. The Chimera are a
far more advanced species than I thought. Which makes them far more dangerous."

Keeping Warm

Holden: "I want to build a fire. But I'm afraid the smoke will give us away. Maybe we'll try that tommorrow. Tonight we will just have just stay close. Try to sleep..."

Quarantine

Gary: "They barricaded all the exits. They said it's just a temporary quarantine until they can figure out which workers are infected and which aren't. But I seen those barricades. Nothin' temporary about'em. They wouldn't just leave us in here. Would they?"

It's just me now

Igrid: "My husband died today. It's just me now. I think I can deliver the baby on my own. But I'm not sure If I want to. What kind of a life will it be for him? Or her? What kind of world is it for me?"

Girl's Best Friend

Glenda: "When my family died, I took Poppa's rifle and came to the city looking for food. I met Charlie right after I bagged my first Ravager. He said I was a good shot. And he's right. He called me a 'Remnant.' Just like him. And all the other survivors who fight against the Chimera. I think I like being a Remnant."

Ravager

"A giant Hybrid variant engineered to withstand heavy damage. This elite fighting unit
lumbers towards its target while discharging crippling bolts of electricity from its
primary weapon. These relentless pursuers will track down targets with terrifying
efficiency.

Primary Weapon - Atomizer.

Survival Tip: Keep a safe distance from Ravagers, and always stay behind cover."

Sniper Longlegs

"These modified Longlegs are armed with a Deadeye sniper rifle. Their ability to aim
and shoot with pinpoint accuracy makes them dangerous, but combined with their
ability to traverse complex environments and find an ideal sniper perch, these are
some of the most effectuve killers in the Chimeran army.

Primary Weapon - Deadeye sniper rifle.

Survival Tip: Take the shot if it is available - Long Legs move positions very quickly."

Sally fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 30, 2016

• Locked thread