Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
And the best character in the Resistance franchise is--
Nathan Hale
Joseph Capelli
Seriously, crow, update PoP2008
View Results

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The conclusion for Resistance 3 is more or less identical to that of Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 2 in that we find ourselves entering a wandering around Chimeran architecture looking for a glowing something-something to shoot at until the whole thing explodes triggering a larger chain-reaction of explosion. In Fall of Man, it was the Chimeran Tower of London which in turn detonated every other tower in the UK. In R2, it was Daedalus's flagship which in turn triggered every other Chimeran battleship above the Gulf of Mexico to explode spectacularly.

While it's not an original ending, it's actually a lot of fun and a welcome change from ripping of Half-Life 2 and the whole Warden thing. Resistance is returning to its roots, using the DOOM principle of having a single guy running around with a lot of guns shooting at horrible monsters. It's more or less straight combat throughout the next several chapters and the set-pieces and arenas are all solid making this part of the game rather enjoyable. I wouldn't say it's good enough to save the game from the massive slump it's been in (I'll leave that up to you), but this is a marked improvement.

Six Bullets

Mathison: Sergeant Mathison, Victor Company. Day Six. I'm all alone now. Found a sniper perch in Washington Square. But I ain't gonna be here long. I'm staring at thirty Hybrids sniffing around for me, with a dozen drones about to fly up my rear end. Got six bullets left. One grenade. Here we go.

Bad Idea

Mathison: Sergeant Mathison, Victor Company. Day three. Subways were a bad idea. Four men down already. Tubes are full of Grims, and worse. The three of us are holding our own, but running low on ammo. If we can make it to the next platform, we'll head above ground.

They are coming--

"In Doctor Malikov's last entry, he said something fought back against the Chimera millions of years ago, caused them to leave Earth, retract their towers and close the wormhole. I believe this was another alien race--but that's not the important part. It's Hale. When he asked Joseph, "Can you hear them?" he was referring to Pure Chimera. They were talking to him through the wormhole, telepathically. Now Earth is getting colder by the day. Why? Why? Because the Pure Chimera are coming. Once the planet is cold enough, millions--maybe billions--of Pure Chimera are going to come through that wormhole. I can only hope Joseph is successful in New York. Who knows what horrors might travel through that hole in the sky..."

Wildfire Hybrid

A Hybrid engineered with a stronger physique in order to wield a Wildfire rocket launcher. This burly Chimera will typically place itself at a distance from its target, on higher ground, to take advantage of the destructive power of its rocket projectiles.

Primary Weapon - Wildfire rocket launcher.

Survival Tip: Snipe them from cover. Don't get caught in the open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I know it's not entirely over yet but that felt short. Which is not directly a bad thing considering what came before. And to follow one backhanded compliment with another, it at least seems to be ending on a high note.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
These chapters, if anything, take a bit longer to get through than some of the earlier ones. This update here and the next two are all about half an hour long and they are comprised of only a single chapter, whereas a number of the earlier updates had two chapters or even a part of a third one. If it feels shorter, I hope that's because it's becoming more enjoyable, ha. Also, though, this chapter doesn't have a real definite ending and flows seamlessly into the next one.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
It's nice to see that you're enjoying the game more Sally, now that it's moving away from SaDad to back to it's roots. Are all the Feral Chimera heading to New York because it's so cold, or is there some other reason? Will it get explained at all? Perhaps they all want to be Broadway stars.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

White Coke posted:

It's nice to see that you're enjoying the game more Sally, now that it's moving away from SaDad to back to it's roots. Are all the Feral Chimera heading to New York because it's so cold, or is there some other reason? Will it get explained at all? Perhaps they all want to be Broadway stars.

Coke, what they want is, I think, what everyone wants, and what Sally and the viewers have: civilization.

The niceties, Coke. The fine points: diplomacy, compassion, standards, manners, tradition... that's what they're reaching toward. Oh, they may stumble along the way, but civilization, yes. The Geneva Convention, chamber music, Susan Sontag. Everything our society has worked so hard to accomplish over the centuries, that's what they aspire to; they want to be civilized.

Now, bear in mind, none of them have been in New York before. There are the Broadway shows - they have to find out how to get tickets. There's also a lot of street crime, but I believe they can watch that for free. They want the essentials. Dinettes. Complete bedroom groups. Convenient credit, even though they've been turned down in the past.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

chiasaur11 posted:

Coke, what they want is, I think, what everyone wants, and what Sally and the viewers have: civilization.

The niceties, Coke. The fine points: diplomacy, compassion, standards, manners, tradition... that's what they're reaching toward. Oh, they may stumble along the way, but civilization, yes. The Geneva Convention, chamber music, Susan Sontag. Everything our society has worked so hard to accomplish over the centuries, that's what they aspire to; they want to be civilized.

Now, bear in mind, none of them have been in New York before. There are the Broadway shows - they have to find out how to get tickets. There's also a lot of street crime, but I believe they can watch that for free. They want the essentials. Dinettes. Complete bedroom groups. Convenient credit, even though they've been turned down in the past.

:allears: Oh, you glorious bastard. You paraphrased one of my idols.

...He approves.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

White Coke posted:

Perhaps they all want to be Broadway stars.

Grims just want to dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLL_-jF1JCA

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Real answer: no explanation. The fact that it's colder is the implication. Feral Chimera don't have heat stacks, so they probably just trend towards colder locales. It's the only reason I could think of for the Widowmaker stampede.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Capelli begins the final approach to the Chimeran tower. Hang in there, big guy.

:smith:

Particle Smashing

S.R.P.A. Research Team Delta.

Regarding the mechanical physics of the New York City tower. It appears the particle beam released into the sky is making contact with a second beam at some point in space outside our atmosphere. We believe this event, smashing particles into one another at incredibly high speeds, is causing a Lambda particle manifold, connecting two separate regions of space time. Somehow the Chimera have discovered a way to keep the beams perfectly in phase, factoring in the rotation and orbit of Earth. These findings are speculative, and subject to error. But it is the belief of this research team that the primary purpose of this phenomenon in the sky is a method of travel.

Bloodbath

Mathison: Sergeant Mathison, Victor Company. Day two-battle is all but over. loving bloodbath. We found four other guys from Oscar Company--goddamned Chimera are starting to spread out and look for survivors. Once it gets dark we'll move out--try to get to the subways.

Fall Back

Mathison: Sergeant Mathison, Victor Company. Our VTOL went down. Three survivors. We're two clicks from the tower--but we're not getting any closer. There's about a hundred Goliaths and Stalkers lined up at the entrance. Can't believe what these bastards have done to our city. We're gonna fall back, and regroup.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Do you have any particular idea of how the Chimeran architecture should look, or are you just disappointed that Insomniac didn't try come up with anything beyond Sci-Fi Bad Guy 101?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Goodness, no. Never had much thought about how it should look, just disappointed with what we got. For something so alien and mysterious as the Chimera, there architecture is pretty uninspired and doesn't really change much throughout the series. These are shots from each of the final chapters in all three major games:

Fall of Man:

R2:

R3:

I suppose maybe it's hard to make one sci-fi alien base look different from another but I feel like large parts of these Chimeran areas could be pulled from a Combine tower or from a Forerunner installation.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How did they go from the awesome smashy wrench in R&C to this R3's limp swatting for melee? On that note, why did they design a dull game on purpose?

Crocodylus Pontifex
Jul 26, 2007
The Space Pope!
I felt the generic Sci Fi look worked really well in Resistance: FOM. That coupled with the sepia tone it gave off a sort of classic 50s Science Fiction vibe. I think it became a bigger problem with the sequels, where they went with a more vibrant art style and color palette that clashed hard with the more simple chimera architecture.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SelenicMartian posted:

How did they go from the awesome smashy wrench in R&C to this R3's limp swatting for melee? On that note, why did they design a dull game on purpose?

It really does feel like no one on staff could muster a single stiff poo poo. Like, they felt obligated to make it, but had lost all their passion for it, and so they looked to other games and media to try and come up with a story because all their ideas had fallen out of the hole in Hale's head.

NejD
Oct 3, 2013

The Door Frame posted:

Oh, he's not the end all, be all of video games, it's just like the only thing I could remember about Resistance 3 until I saw this LP, so I was so excited to see it... and what the gently caress did Herbert make it with?
A weaponized virus, made from a mutated Chimera virus, and fired out of a gun without harming the person holding the gun. You can't just make that. That kind of science takes years of research, thousands of test subjects, a host to safely breed the virus in, and advanced gene editing that didn't exist in the 40's or 50's. He's in a prison, not MIT or the Pentagon, no matter how smart the guy is, he can't do that. WE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE STRUCTURE OF DNA WAS UNTIL 1953.

well not to be a jerk but there was technological advancement based upon finding chimeran technology and and they certainly seem to be able to edit genes at least i would guess thats how they make the different kinds of chimeran so its not implausible for the setting. A easier/somewhat better explination could of been that its just feral chimeran goop that he saw someone fall into and get disfigured and decided to stockpile it, ignoring like how he would fire it and have it stick together rather than spray apart.
If you wanted a better way to explain the gun then i would just have it as a slingshot that fired guts that exploded on impact like water ballons filled with disgusting deadly fluids but that may be because it kinda reminds me of my favorite game.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

After realizing what the Chimeran dropship reminded me of and seeing Chimeran architecture, I have developed a new skul-gun: The Helghast eventually evolve into a truly distinct species, and in the far future, they develop time travel and decide to gently caress with Earth again.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The beauty Hale spoke of at the end of Resistance 2... was the grace and love of Visari.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The portal in the sky is a link to Old Helghan where the Pure Helghast wait to come through and rebuild their society anew--and to allow them to finally crush Earth and Vekta. Joseph Capelli is the Rico Velasquez of this world, a dickhead who's really, really good at killing things and will ruin the Helghast's plans.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Sally fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 3, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

NejD posted:

well not to be a jerk but there was technological advancement based upon finding chimeran technology and and they certainly seem to be able to edit genes at least i would guess thats how they make the different kinds of chimeran so its not implausible for the setting. A easier/somewhat better explination could of been that its just feral chimeran goop that he saw someone fall into and get disfigured and decided to stockpile it, ignoring like how he would fire it and have it stick together rather than spray apart.
If you wanted a better way to explain the gun then i would just have it as a slingshot that fired guts that exploded on impact like water ballons filled with disgusting deadly fluids but that may be because it kinda reminds me of my favorite game.

I was more talking about how schizophrenic this game is when it comes to technology and chronology. But the journal specifically calls it a weaponized virus, Grims aren't supposed to blow up, so they had to get that Chimera virus to do stuff it was never meant to. Watson and Crick was 1953, so even if they had gotten advanced genetic material from the Chimera, they would still be trying to figure out whether the genetic information was passed on by proteins or nucleic acids because the definitive research on DNA couldn't have been published in this timeline.

Capelli walks through a downed C130, a plane that didn't exist until 1954 and wasn't in active service until early 1957, the official military carbine is still based off of the M2 carbine from 1945, the first prototype VTOL wasn't airborne until 1954, cross-continental broadcasting wasn't until 1942, world-wide broadcasting wasn't around until 1957.

I could buy Malikov doing advanced gene research because he's always the highest quality equipment, the latest research, the backing of massive government programs, and most importantly, it's a work of fiction. Secret government programs that know hyper-advanced science decades earlier than anyone else is kinda how fiction rolls. The Wardens even attempting to engineer a retrovirus, considering that they aren't even vaccinated against it and live in a dingy hovel that has a water reclamation system full of Grims, is a level of stupid that I can't ignore
These levels are looking legit fun now that you are alone against the Chimera in a wartorn area, but now every detail pulls me out of each video because all immersion has been severed with a rusty hacksaw. Mick is somehow ruining parts of the game for me that he has nothing to do with, that's impressive

As an aside, I just figured out how to make sure that the Auger doesn't trivialize the Widowmakers, make it so the weak points don't glow red through the scope. That's it. Now you can't pinpoint weak points without exposing yourself to the same danger every other gun would put you in. Problem is more or less solved by changing one hexcode value. :effort:

Crocodylus Pontifex
Jul 26, 2007
The Space Pope!

The Door Frame posted:

I was more talking about how schizophrenic this game is when it comes to technology and chronology. But the journal specifically calls it a weaponized virus, Grims aren't supposed to blow up, so they had to get that Chimera virus to do stuff it was never meant to. Watson and Crick was 1953, so even if they had gotten advanced genetic material from the Chimera, they would still be trying to figure out whether the genetic information was passed on by proteins or nucleic acids because the definitive research on DNA couldn't have been published in this timeline.

Capelli walks through a downed C130, a plane that didn't exist until 1954 and wasn't in active service until early 1957, the official military carbine is still based off of the M2 carbine from 1945, the first prototype VTOL wasn't airborne until 1954, cross-continental broadcasting wasn't until 1942, world-wide broadcasting wasn't around until 1957.

I could buy Malikov doing advanced gene research because he's always the highest quality equipment, the latest research, the backing of massive government programs, and most importantly, it's a work of fiction. Secret government programs that know hyper-advanced science decades earlier than anyone else is kinda how fiction rolls. The Wardens even attempting to engineer a retrovirus, considering that they aren't even vaccinated against it and live in a dingy hovel that has a water reclamation system full of Grims, is a level of stupid that I can't ignore

Grims don't explode, but leeches, which are a subspecies of grim do. Not that that makes the science behind it make sense, just pointing that out.
As for the human technology showing up earlier, years ago there was, (maybe still is) a website of Insomniac Games where they had a timeline of the alternate history of Resistance's universe, starting from the Tunguska Event. One thing I recall reading from it was about how America fast tracked development of aircraft, and the VTOL in particular was mentioned.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, I kind of gloss over it in the first video since Insomniac treats it with such a handwave, but since the end of WWI led to a prosperous golden age in the Resistance universe, science and technology is supposed to have prospered. VTOLs are developed, tested, and pressed into regular military service even before the beginning of Fall of Man. There's no guideline for how technology developed in the game's universe though, so its application is really up to the whim of the developers. Or, 'schizophrenic' works as a descriptor too.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

We're nearly there. Charlie Tent joins us in the final stretch. Thankfully, Insomniac rip of Valve once more time and make Charlie as competent and unobtrusive as Alyx Vance so you don't have to worry about babysitting him.

"Even if Joseph does succeed in closing that wormhole, which I'm afraid to admit is highly unlikely, we must still deal with the billions of Chimera left here on Earth. This war is far from over. I must continue Doctor Malikov's research. Perhaps there is something to be learned about this mysterious substance he calls, "Gray Tech." Hmm..."

Nope, there is nothing to be learned from "Gray Tech". Sorry, Insomniac are never making another Resistance game.

:/

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Maybe someday they'll go back to resistance with little Jack going on an all American 60s road trip on a chimeran motorcycle with a co op buddy.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

I'm not going a give the game poo poo for being expeditious but it's still funny how Charlie found and hosed with navigation controls in, what? Under two minutes?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Ah, only now do we understand the game's title, and why they didn't use the full, proposed title of Resistance 3: Fall of (A) Man (Who Is Bringing A Terraforming Platform Along For The Ride In Protest Of His Demotion To Sad Dad Status, And Because We Like Blowing poo poo Up.)

...I mean, the one we got is a bit punchier, don't you think?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Huh. This part seems... good?

Like, the atmosphere is actually desperate, the gunplay looks fun, and the plot is actually addressing my questions. I was going to complain about the whole "A thousand guys failed, but YOU'RE DIFFERENT for no apparent reason." But instead, they're going for "Yeah, that wouldn't work at all ever and would just get you killed. But THIS crazy idea might work.", which is much better, AND they tied it into the radio bit, which was the one Sad Dad scene I've liked so far.

Funny. Most games fall apart at the end. Here, seems more the opposite.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
That radio broadcast did seem suspiciously fortunate. I think i would have worked better if it came before Capelli attacks the Terraformer since any relief he'd have felt about hearing his family is okay would undercut the suicidal risk he's undertaking, all without any guarantee that his plan would work. Sad dads are overused but they can be written well.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

That's it. Game is over and I'm nearly done my Resistance 3 rant. Happy ending all around.

It's--well, fine, I guess. It doesn't feel in the spirit of the earlier games. It's a little too happy. The earlier games ended on bittersweet notes: the battle was hard fought but far from over. That said, if the game cut out entirely after Capelli got home, I'd have less to complain about. As Herbert says in the last Malikov journal entry, there are still billions of Chimera out there. Even though Joe has succeeded in stranding the Hybrids on Earth and cutting off the Pure Chimera, there's still the very real possibility of the remaining forces occupying the planet indefinitely and continuing the terraforming process. That's not even mentioning the Feral Chimera which are reproduces in large numbers by unknown means.

But then the end credits play and, well, it really does play out as if the Chimeran menace has been defeated. We hear the radio reports from around the world of humanity overthrowing the Chimera and then are treated to all these pictures of humanity rebuilding. Let me tell you, humanity wouldn't be rebuilding if billions of Chimera were still about bombing them all to hell and terraforming the planet. They'd be building more weapons and defenses, if anything, not the Statue of Liberty--but that's not what's presented.

I guess Capelli's actions inspired the whole planet to "win the war".

Go Capelli.

What a lame ending.

Oh, and I suppose I should comment on the character assassination. Capelli in R3 is not what we had in R2. At all. You've seen the whole LP now. R3 Capelli is undeniably NOT-Capelli. He's just some generic Sad Dad Guy. He has Capelli's name, he has Capelli's scars, but that's it. Malikov making an off-hand comment in the first hour of the game about how Capelli "still has anger issues" does not satisfy all the world-building that was done beforehand (reminder: this included the previous game, comics, a novel, and an online ARPG). Having Capelli justifiable get intensely angry when a bunch of psychopaths blow up his train and murder Malikov in front of him also doesn't satisfy. Both those instances were completely justifiable and reasonable junctures in the game for a normal person to get angry, as opposed to being the actions of a troubled man.

I don't really have any thoughts on how the narrative could have been changed to fix this (though certain posters in this thread have certainly made excellent cases on how Capelli's past could have actually been incorporated into the game's narrative). I suppose having Capelli speak outside of cutscenes would have helped. It wouldn't have required Insomniac to change anything about the existing game aside from new dialogue. But oh well.

This is what we got.

A decent ending to an okay game. One that shamelessly ripped off numerous other intellectual properties in lazy and uninteresting ways, but an okay game nonetheless. I hoped you enjoyed watching the LP.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Sally fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 6, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So the humans learned how to function as a society, and eventually they were rescued by, oh, let's say... Joe.

Because of course the aliens that were slaughtering the armies of the world are easy pickings now that they're in roughly the same position as they were in before the end of 2. Seems legit.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
You can tell this ending was completely phoned in. It was just a "Let's just deus ex machina this bullshit and be done with it." which is a shame because you can really see the part where the writers/creators stopped caring. Also I came in on R3, so I don't know much about what you're talking in the end with the Cloven or that the Chimera came here originally but left? Assuming this is millions of years ago?

Zain fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 6, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
what?

I mean, seriously?

It's like this entire game was a story told by Capelli to his kid for bed time. Toning down the less polite aspects of his personality, then ramping up the action sequence at the end there with the infinity gun. But still... what the...?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

This entire game, LP, I can hear it in your voice, can tell you're deeply disappointed in Resistance three. I can hardly blame you.

It's just :mediocre:

NejD
Oct 3, 2013
wow the game does just end, it would of been cool if this was about 2/3 of the way through the game and was Capelli loving up one final time because he didnt know what Malikovs actual plan was and triggering the true chimeras invasion, at least then they could of had an interesting final boss fight rather than the first boss but with a few enemies placed around. Honestly this game might of worked a bit better as a side game with a new character to show a different side of the conflict rather than as the conclusion to a trilogy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well congrats on finishing this one man, for what it's worth.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Great job on the LP dude, but man, this game was a snore. :(

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Ultimately, I get the feeling that Insomniac is not as comfortable in the FPS space the way... Guerilla, for instance, is.

Zain posted:

Also I came in on R3, so I don't know much about what you're talking in the end with the Cloven or that the Chimera came here originally but left? Assuming this is millions of years ago?
Video 00 covers the background pretty well, and gives us a look at how Resistance was being built into one of those cross media franchises but then just concluded in this sort of "eh gently caress it" moment.

Lotish posted:

The beauty Hale spoke of at the end of Resistance 2... was the grace and love of Visari.
LP Convergence never stops starting

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLDQNaGYCE4

I enjoyed this LP. it's a shame the series went down the tubes like it did, but on the bright side, they won't make it any worse with a Resistance 4! :suicide:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I'd have liked to see what Pure Chimera look like. Or hybrids made from non-human species. Can Chimera only reproduce with humans or are other animals usable? What about plants? Not fighting potato-Chimeran hybrids was a sorely missed opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

:allears:

• Locked thread