Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd love to see a proper Quake reboot. That is, Quake 1 - none of that Strogg bullshit, just medieval castles interspersed with the occassional space station, lovecraftian horrors, your trusty battleaxe, nailgun and grenade launcher. And Ziggurat Vertigo gravity shenanigans.

Quake 4 was pretty fun but the Wolfenstein and Doom reboots showed there is no need to be afraid of wacky settings and action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Eopia posted:

My reading of it was that the betrayer -is- the Doomguy, and that being betrayed by hell in their deal in addition to his world being cast down into it, caused him to go on his unending, unstoppable rampage.

Far as I recall, the Betrayer is specifically a different person because the Betrayer made Doomguy's armor? Unless that's a different Betrayer, it IS a bit of a generic title, after all.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
The Betrayer who made Doomguy'a armor is a renegade demon, while the Betrayer who led the demons to Argent D'Nur was a renegade Night Sentinel, who may or may not have been the Doomguy. :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The thing I'd like to know is who the hooded figure overlooking the battle in this picture is.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

What a fun game, thanks Alexey.

...but now for some nitpicky criticisms: was I the only one who found the weapon sounds a bit weak? Granted I'm not listening on decent speakers, but The pistol, plasma gun and BFG seemed to be almost silent. The gauss cannon also sounds like it's a bit muffled, but maybe I'm too used to the harsh crack at the start of the quake 2 railgun sound. Similarly, there seemed to be surprisingly little sound or feeling of impact on a few of the glory kills too, namely the ones where you just punch a demon hard enough to make it explode.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The BFG specifically is interesting in that it always sounded to me like on firing it, the effect was to mute nearly all sounds, as if it was so powerful that it is sucking in any sonic energy or cancelling sound waves or some poo poo.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

GunnerJ posted:

The thing I'd like to know is who the hooded figure overlooking the battle in this picture is.

Probably the seraphim that empowered Doomguy. The demons at least think that heaven is helping him out.

Crazy Achmed posted:

...but now for some nitpicky criticisms: was I the only one who found the weapon sounds a bit weak? Granted I'm not listening on decent speakers, but The pistol, plasma gun and BFG seemed to be almost silent. The gauss cannon also sounds like it's a bit muffled, but maybe I'm too used to the harsh crack at the start of the quake 2 railgun sound. Similarly, there seemed to be surprisingly little sound or feeling of impact on a few of the glory kills too, namely the ones where you just punch a demon hard enough to make it explode.

Maybe there's some sort of noise compensation in the suit that prevents Doomguy's eardrums from bursting every time he fires the guns?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Gauss Cannon's siege mode fire sound has become music to my ears thanks to this LP.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

ManxomeBromide posted:

The thing I find weird here is that the outer circle cultists might well have been right. They'd been talking about refining Hell Energy into clean, efficient Argent Energy, but Hell Energy is itself a corruption of the power source of Argent D'Nur. The Helix Stone led us to the Crucible, so if it has an agenda, it has no love for Hell—it's quite possible UAC really was literally refining the Hell out of it and getting Argent D'Nur's power back for their own use.

And while there is zero evidence of this in the text, as well, I like to think that it was the Betrayer of Argent D'Nur who hooked Doomguy up with the Argent absorbers on his suit. As a Night Sentinel, he'd know how, and does Hell really think that "the wages of treachery is suffering" applies only to others?

In fact, this is also my opinion. The Praetor Suit has been built and given to the DoomSlayer by someone indicated in the Testament as "the wretch who shall not be named", someone cleary expert with Argenty technology/magic and with a serious score to settle with the forces of hell.

By the way, thank you for the LP, Alexey!

Guy Fawkes fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 15, 2017

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Crazy Achmed posted:

get that OUT of my face posted:

The Gauss Cannon's siege mode fire sound has become music to my ears thanks to this LP.

Guy Fawkes posted:

In fact, this is also my opinion. The Praetor Suit has been built and given to the DoomSlayer by someone indicated in the Testament as "the wretch who shall not be named", someone cleary expert with Argenty technology/magic and with a serious score to settle with the forces of hell.

By the way, thank you for the LP, Alexey!

If you're happy, I'm happy, thanks :v:

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Thank you very much for showing us the singleplayer campaign! :)

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Great LP, Alexy. My only issue was the lack of showing off other weapons than the super shotgun and gauss rifle :v:

Can we talk about how good the end credits are? Every screen is related to the credit being shown on screen, in sometimes humorous ways (my personal favorite is the tiny bobblehead facing off against a giant demon for the QA team)

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Polaron posted:

Great LP, Alexy. My only issue was the lack of showing off other weapons than the super shotgun and gauss rifle :v:

Can we talk about how good the end credits are? Every screen is related to the credit being shown on screen, in sometimes humorous ways (my personal favorite is the tiny bobblehead facing off against a giant demon for the QA team)

Those credits were amazing. This whole game was extremely stylish and satisfying to watch, and I just want to thank you Alexey for the good work!

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
You not the villain huh? Sure i'll buy that.

This time...

Polaron posted:

Doomguy Doll vs Pinky Demon

Doomguy Doll wins.

Also I believe that Doomguy Doll is is same one that The Doomslayer Fistbumps.

My favorite part of the credits is the end that references the original Doom Cover, and at this point you'd probably think "yea those demons are hosed"

KDavisJr fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Crazy Achmed posted:

plasma rifle is the only bad one to my ears, it was incredible in the original Doom.

• Locked thread