Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Man, Alexey, you sound... like Hell. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

PurpleXVI posted:

Get better soon, Alexey.

Also the Hellguards felt like the only monsters in the game that had... I won't say unfitting, but surprising designs. Strip away the fireballs and they'd feel like an HL1 enemy, what with the bulbous bioluminesence and biotech power armor they've got going on.

Thank god I wasn't the only one who thought the same thing when seeing those monsters. That and the way they slid after landing really makes it feel that way.

It's good to see this LP back!

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I've been working my way through the game and thus haven't let myself completely catch up yet - I'm some fraction of the way through the Advanced Research Labs, but the LP has been motivating me to actually play more regularly and see it through. So thanks for that!

That also means I'm incredibly late to the party on a few things, but skimming the rest of the thread it doesn't look like anyone brought them up, so:
  • The thing waaaay back at the beginning about "Accidental Death & Dismemberment Forms"? This is actually the standard name for the part of your health insurance that covers, well, getting killed or losing fingers or limbs. Usually the hilarity is that it shows up on the benefits list/premium payments as "AD&D", which for dorks of a certain age will always and forever mean "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons"—but it's nice to see a shoutout to it given the amount of really quite intentional death and dismemberment going on throughout.
  • The stuff appearing on screen after you talk to Dr. Hayden about VEGA probably isn't an Easter Egg, unless you count "yep, that is LISP code" as being an easter egg. One of the variables is used before it was set, but maybe that's just exploiting a previously-existing default value. :v:
I'm still in the process of playing along retroactively and catching up, but I'm really enjoying the thread, so thanks for doing this!

Monstrously belated edit: And now I'm caught up. Good times. Hope by now you feel better!

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 22, 2017

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
After a lengthy trip report I can also confirm that Prey is real good y'all

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I promised

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 22, 2017

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Holy poo poo! Vega sounds so concerned about basically his death but has to go with it.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Russian is such a fun language to listen to. Especially when paired with RIP AND TEAR :black101:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The Russian dub of this LP is excellent. 10 out of 10.

Also the Vega sections of the game were some of my favourites, those battles made REALLY good use of vertical design, I felt, and you had to constantly keep on the move for the most part.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
That was so perfect :allears: That being said, half a year? Man, how time passes.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Slaan posted:

Russian is such a fun language to listen to. Especially when paired with RIP AND TEAR :black101:
Watch on double speed, it's even better!

Zain posted:

Holy poo poo! Vega sounds so concerned about basically his death but has to go with it.
DOOM 2016 is a game about the transformative power of robot friendship.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Zain posted:

It's the tiny little hesitation at "It has been... decided" that really sold it for me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

If you don't mind me asking, what type of accent do you have? Admittedly, I am no Russian-language expert, but from what Russian media I've watched, many people have an accent that sounds... almost French? Whereas your accent is very clipped and precise, at least to my ear.

Also - again, apologies for the questions about Russian - you mention a few times that there are no direct translations of certain terms, e.g. Doomslayer and weapon upgrade points. Yet I notice that Russian for railgun is just 'railgun'. At the risk of sounding dense, how is this the case? I can understand slayer having no equivalent - there are many synonyms of it - but the others (to me) seem pretty... well... could only be described in one way.

Also, great LP as always, Alexy!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
A lot of times, especially for games terminology or more recent technological stuff, the common parlance has accepted to just use the English term for it. Sometimes it's because a literal translation would sound stupid, overly long or clunky, or it's already used up by something else.

Like in the new game Prey, where in the German version the main enemy type is still called the decidedly English-sounding mimic, because the closest German word to that, Mimik, means "facial expression" and not "tries to hide its presence by adapting an unassuming form"

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

quote:

the difficulty levels in the game don't go up in proper steps - the next level, Nightmare, is simply unplayable, as everything kills you in 1 to 3 hits, and the game doesn't let you evade all the damage (which is not intentional and is a result of the way the battle arenas are designed, there aren't any hitscan enemies in the game). While I think I could be able to grind through Nightmare, given enough time, I think that this would not be enjoyable for anyone, so to Hell with that

Shoulda just admitted you aren't skilled enough to be comfortable with Nightmare, OP. Trying to rationalize away your personal limitations in the face of I'm guessing dozens of viewers here -- myself among them -- that completed the game on Nightmare without much issue is just cringy.

I'd have agreed with you if you had said Ultra Nightmare. That mode is masochism.

Cossack
Mar 2, 2012

You see Sigmund here.
Sigmund hits you.
You die.

ninotoreS posted:

Shoulda just admitted you aren't skilled enough to be comfortable with Nightmare, OP. Trying to rationalize away your personal limitations in the face of I'm guessing dozens of viewers here -- myself among them -- that completed the game on Nightmare without much issue is just cringy.

I'd have agreed with you if you had said Ultra Nightmare. That mode is masochism.

:goonsay:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

HenryEx posted:

A lot of times, especially for games terminology or more recent technological stuff, the common parlance has accepted to just use the English term for it. Sometimes it's because a literal translation would sound stupid, overly long or clunky, or it's already used up by something else.

Like in the new game Prey, where in the German version the main enemy type is still called the decidedly English-sounding mimic, because the closest German word to that, Mimik, means "facial expression" and not "tries to hide its presence by adapting an unassuming form"

Is there no German verb available that means 'to impersonate'? Or can you not 'make' nouns from verbs in German?

Edit: Also, what the heck is the difference in pronunciation of mimic vs mimik?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Samovar posted:

Is there no German verb available that means 'to impersonate'? Or can you not 'make' nouns from verbs in German?

You CAN make up new words in German, just prepare for them to be 30-letter compound monstrosities. Definitely scarier than the actual monster they're describing.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

ninotoreS posted:

I'm not skilled enough to be comfortable with Nightmare. That's the point. I edited the OP to reflect what I meant, i.e. that I can't comfortably play it

Samovar posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what type of accent do you have? Admittedly, I am no Russian-language expert, but from what Russian media I've watched, many people have an accent that sounds... almost French? Whereas your accent is very clipped and precise, at least to my ear.

Also - again, apologies for the questions about Russian - you mention a few times that there are no direct translations of certain terms, e.g. Doomslayer and weapon upgrade points. Yet I notice that Russian for railgun is just 'railgun'. At the risk of sounding dense, how is this the case? I can understand slayer having no equivalent - there are many synonyms of it - but the others (to me) seem pretty... well... could only be described in one way.

Also, great LP as always, Alexy!

1) I'm from St. Petersburg, we don't have an accent of our own
2) Real-life railguns have a Russian word for them, but video game railguns are always just called railguns
3) Thanks!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

HenryEx posted:

I don't speak german very well, but wouldn't der imitator or der Nachmacher be acceptable substitutes?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Some of the more surprising words that Russian seems to borrow are "parasite," "pilot," and "exoskeleton," unless this is the video game term exception.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Some of the more surprising words that Russian seems to borrow are "parasite," "pilot," and "exoskeleton," unless this is the video game term exception.

Well, I would imagine parasite and pilot are of Greek derivation, though I thought skeleton was Romance. Interestingly, the Russian word for idiot is idiot (though I suppose it is more accurately pronounced 'idi-yot' with emphasis on the second syllable.)

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

By the way, going all :goonsay: - about 13 minutes you mention the Sun's surface temperature being 5800 K = 5,8 mega Kelvin, but unless my maths education was severely deficient, 5,8 mega Kelvin would be 5.800.000 K

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

inscrutable horse posted:

By the way, going all :goonsay: - about 13 minutes you mention the Sun's surface temperature being 5800 K = 5,8 mega Kelvin, but unless my maths education was severely deficient, 5,8 mega Kelvin would be 5.800.000 K

You are correct. I can verify this because I was educated and trained in physics-based physics.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Corroborated pedantry is the best pedantry!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Corroborated pedantry is the best pedantry!

So what's the correct term for 1 x 10^ 3 Kelvin? A superkelvin?

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Samovar posted:

So what's the correct term for 1 x 10^ 3 Kelvin? A superkelvin?

Kilo is a thousand, so 5,800 Kelvin are 5.8 kiloKelvin. kK.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Samovar posted:

Well, I would imagine parasite and pilot are of Greek derivation, though I thought skeleton was Romance. Interestingly, the Russian word for idiot is idiot (though I suppose it is more accurately pronounced 'idi-yot' with emphasis on the second syllable.)

Idiot and skeleton are both Greek as well! Idiot straight-up (though it originally meant "someone with no political allies" - notice how in English all the other "idio-" words mean "unique" and not "stupid") and "skeleton" made it into English by way of Latin.

Lynneth posted:

Kilo is a thousand, so 5,800 Kelvin are 5.8 kiloKelvin. kK.

That said, while I've only encountered it in science classes, I've never heard 5800 K ever called anything other than "fifty-eight hundred Kelvin" or "five thousand eight hundred Kelvin"

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The corona of the sun is obscenely hot, around a million kelvin sounds about right for that.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

That's one of the things that's always fascinated me about the sun; how the "surface" is so much cooler than the corona.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

1) I'm from St. Petersburg, we don't have an accent of our own

So St. Petersburg is the Michigan of Russia.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

Edit: Also, what the heck is the difference in pronunciation of mimic vs mimik?

The first i in Mimik is long. Also yeah, you'd have to go with something like "Imitator" or "Mime" (both German words, and yeah most Germans would probably think of street performers first for the latter word), which are both heavily connected to persons, whereas mimics are not persons.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That's one of the things that's always fascinated me about the sun; how the "surface" is so much cooler than the corona.

Ionized gases in obscenely powerful magnetic fields are pretty fascinating. Also dangerous.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Alexeythegreat posted:

2) Real-life railguns have a Russian word for them, but video game railguns are always just called railguns
Why the distinction?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

HenryEx posted:

The first i in Mimik is long. Also yeah, you'd have to go with something like "Imitator" or "Mime" (both German words, and yeah most Germans would probably think of street performers first for the latter word), which are both heavily connected to persons, whereas mimics are not persons.

There's always 'Doppelgäng(er)'...

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Fish Noise posted:

Why the distinction?

Probably because it's unwieldy, in French there isn't really a fast way of saying railgun that isn't, well, "railgun". You can say it's an electrical gun or an electrical gun using the Lorentz force or an electrical gun using the Laplace force because you you've simplified out all the little annoying Lorentz forces out but it's not as fast so railgun it is.

You can say "cannon ā rail" but that just sounds really stupid. Also possible confusion with a railway gun.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Thanks for the Russian episode, I've studied a bit of the language and I'm pretty proud that I got around 90% of what you said! :woop: Also, your dry humour comes out really well in original, it's even funnier. Good work, dude! (chuvak? priyatel'?)

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

SIGSEGV posted:

Probably because it's unwieldy, in French there isn't really a fast way of saying railgun that isn't, well, "railgun". You can say it's an electrical gun or an electrical gun using the Lorentz force or an electrical gun using the Laplace force because you you've simplified out all the little annoying Lorentz forces out but it's not as fast so railgun it is.

You can say "cannon ā rail" but that just sounds really stupid. Also possible confusion with a railway gun.

It sounds stupid but it's the best kind of stupid. I haven't stopped laughing at this for a good 5 minutes.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
шинопуц

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

mortons stork posted:

Good work, dude! (chuvak? priyatel'?)

Tovarich, surely!

Also, why aren't railguns called Lorentz cannons? That sounds so much cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Zain posted:

It sounds stupid but it's the best kind of stupid. I haven't stopped laughing at this for a good 5 minutes.

I imagine that if the Doomguy could haul around a railway mounted cannon, he definitely would.

• Locked thread