Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Hope I'm not missing something, but where is video 12? It just says it is a duplicate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

thechosenone posted:

Hope I'm not missing something, but where is video 12? It just says it is a duplicate?

drat
I have an unlisted version of video 12, which had some editing issues, which is why it is unlisted
It was like that for a few months
Now it would seem that YT decided to delete the correct, public version as a duplicate

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
God, that is stupid. And why would they delete the PUBLIC version instead of the unlisted one?

How the hell do LPs get away with uploading two different versions of the same video for cut and uncut commentary, now that I think about it?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
maybe some combination of different video audio, and slightly different naming.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

thechosenone posted:

maybe some combination of different video audio, and slightly different naming.

It has to be the audio, since naming doesn't affect anything

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I'll reupload ep. 12 as soon as I can

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Also, I reuploaded part 12

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I love that you see the moment of hesitation with Doomguy as he is about to destroy VEGA. I love the rare and tiny moments of personality they give Doomguy because he is supposed to be the mindless murder machine that is dictated by the game design. VEGA being a machine that understood the sacrifice needed to help murder more demons was enough for Doomguy to respect him and back him up to a floppy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Farewell, sweet prince, may angels carry thee to thy rest.

It's not often in sci-fi that the artificial intelligences are not evil. Shame, that.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It's deeply ironic that the original Johnny Bazookahands kill-em-all character in PC gaming has been turned into one of the most sympathetic, simply with artful story beats and subtle animation touches.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yeah. All those little hand movements are bizarrely good at creating a real personality for our guy. Smashing up monitors that Dr. rear end in a top hat is talking through, fist bumping that one models, hesitating so that he can backup VEGA. All that really makes him seem like a really good guy, deep down.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Seriously, up until the VEGA bit, it was possible to see the Doom Slayer as just an extremely angry guy who was, coincidentally, doing the work of Good, by smiting demons with his anger. This is where you get confirmation that he's a good dude, because he does what he can to save an innocent life.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
I'm still a little leery about how VEGA's entire personality and capacity for reasoning is backed up into a futuristic USB stick, considering he needed this entire absolute-zero coolant facility for everything else.

Still. That little touch was sorely missed from the animations so far. We've gone a long way without angry emoting and a grunt barely restraining his sheer hatred for anything enabling this hellscape.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dinictus posted:

I'm still a little leery about how VEGA's entire personality and capacity for reasoning is backed up into a futuristic USB stick, considering he needed this entire absolute-zero coolant facility for everything else.

Still. That little touch was sorely missed from the animations so far. We've gone a long way without angry emoting and a grunt barely restraining his sheer hatred for anything enabling this hellscape.

Could be that the VEGA program is self-learning and the USB stick simply contains the instructions/blueprints for procedural reconstruction of another VEGA.

Or, you know. Technobabble.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I find it funny that the AI powered by pure unfiltered hell energy is, against all expectations, entirely well meaning and helpful from beginning to end.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Eopia posted:

I find it funny that the AI powered by pure unfiltered hell energy is, against all expectations, entirely well meaning and helpful from beginning to end.

Well, you remember what they say about good intentions...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

"I have many regrets"
Oh, VEGA :smith:

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Samovar posted:

Well, you remember what they say about good intentions...

VEGA posted:

"I have many regrets"

White Coke
May 29, 2015

double nine posted:

Could be that the VEGA program is self-learning and the USB stick simply contains the instructions/blueprints for procedural reconstruction of another VEGA.

Or, you know. Technobabble.

Yeah, VEGA probably needs so much energy because all of his memory takes up so much space, and then you have to have a system that can access that information efficiently.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Slaan posted:

Yeah. All those little hand movements are bizarrely good at creating a real personality for our guy. Smashing up monitors that Dr. rear end in a top hat is talking through, fist bumping that one models, hesitating so that he can backup VEGA. All that really makes him seem like a really good guy, deep down.
My favorite bit is when Hayden is telling you something about carefully disarming an electronical device and Doomguy just gives a little nod and tears the thing out. Wonder why more games don't try to do a bit less obliging relationship of the main character with the guiding voice on radio.

Anyhow, I started replaying this and it's incredibly how much fun it gets on Nightmare. The fights become a lot more adrenaline-fueled when an imp can one-shot you with a charged fireball and the whole fighting really resembles the OG Doom bullet hell dance more than I would've thought possible in 2016.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

double nine posted:

I like this explanation, because it allows for VEGA to make an appearance in a Doom sequel, while also preventing the player from having ultrabytes of information at their fingertips next time around. Mind you, we don't know what kind of helltech powers the Doom Marine's suit, so who knows what would happen once VEGA's plugged into said suit.

anilEhilated posted:

My favorite bit is when Hayden is telling you something about carefully disarming an electronical device and Doomguy just gives a little nod and tears the thing out. Wonder why more games don't try to do a bit less obliging relationship of the main character with the guiding voice on radio.

I like that bit right at the beginning, when Hayden says that everything that happened was for the good of humanity. The Doom Marine takes one look at the corpse at his feet, clenches a shaking hand, then punches the intercom. You can tell he's had it up to here already with Hayden's good intentions :black101:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

CommissarMega posted:

I like this explanation, because it allows for VEGA to make an appearance in a Doom sequel, while also preventing the player from having ultrabytes of information at their fingertips next time around. Mind you, we don't know what kind of helltech powers the Doom Marine's suit, so who knows what would happen once VEGA's plugged into said suit.

Plug VEGA into a Praetor suit, co-op action ho!

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I like how you accidentally set off the third cooling coil early by nailing it with Siege Mode's shockwave blast.

As for taking that room slow, and it occasionally glitching out and locking you in forever... the AGDQ 2017 speedrun of DOOM suggested that there was some kind of spawn cap. They spend most of the run out of bounds but would occasionally take random enemies out "to make sure we get the spawns we need later". I wonder if blowing up all four right at the start overloads it somehow.

PurpleXVI posted:

Seriously, up until the VEGA bit, it was possible to see the Doom Slayer as just an extremely angry guy who was, coincidentally, doing the work of Good, by smiting demons with his anger. This is where you get confirmation that he's a good dude, because he does what he can to save an innocent life.

Heh. I'd commented to my friends at about Kadingir Sanctum "I'd be concerned about my obvious callous disregard for innocent life but I haven't found any and don't expect to."

Welp :v:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
As some of you may remember, this is how I normally finish LPs: in bursts. Only one more video for the main story to go after this.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

ManxomeBromide posted:

I like how you accidentally set off the third cooling coil early by nailing it with Siege Mode's shockwave blast.

As for taking that room slow, and it occasionally glitching out and locking you in forever... the AGDQ 2017 speedrun of DOOM suggested that there was some kind of spawn cap. They spend most of the run out of bounds but would occasionally take random enemies out "to make sure we get the spawns we need later". I wonder if blowing up all four right at the start overloads it somehow.

I... doubt it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss8SyOhqk1I

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

That video isn't necessarily evidence of the thing it sounds like it would be evidence for.

(Ninja Edit: But it is hilarious and should be watched all the way through.)

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

As some of you may remember, this is how I normally finish LPs: like an inferior shotgun mod

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, the VEGA battles were tougher and tenser, which was a bit of a shame. But these are still pretty good.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Heading into the little tunnel and finding a pinky at both ends was a great moment.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Moon in the sky with structures on it...the Doom Slayer's mark on the rocks...is that Deimos up there, still hanging around on the shores of Hell?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, the VEGA battles were tougher and tenser, which was a bit of a shame. But these are still pretty good.

Pacing-wise its kind of the palate cleanser/victory lap before the finale so it kinda makes sense even if, obviously, cool and tense things are preferable to things that merely serve to keep the player at a simmer for a minute.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Thus ends the ULTRA-VIOLENT story of the DOOM SLAYER

There will still be more videos on account of there being quite a bit of content left (or missed), but let's be real, the campaign is the meat of the game.
In the time between the recording and posting I made up my mind on the multiplayer.
There will be no multiplayer.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

So, you think that the game is over, that you've slain all the demons?

No, Alexy.

You are the demons.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
This was good fun - I've been travelling for the last two years and haven't been able to play any of these awesome games. I've had to get my fix via LPs.

The guardian Knights thing feels to me that it kinda connects the DOOM and Quake universe - maybe too obvious? but I do like the speculation and stories not really explaining everything - Hugo kinda goes over that on the NoClip documentary a bit about it all being a bit secondary but leaving enough breadcrumbs to let people make up their own minds.

Looking forward to the extra content :)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Curse Hayden's sudden but inevitable betrayal :argh:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Playing modded minecraft over the year's I will claim Hayden did nothing wrong he just kicked a griefer off the server so he can mine hell for energy in peace so humanity can benefit.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"Hey, thanks for dealing with that problem. By the way, we still need Hell Energy so be a good sport and work as my slave."

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
The thing I find weird here is that the outer circle cultists might well have been right. They'd been talking about refining Hell Energy into clean, efficient Argent Energy, but Hell Energy is itself a corruption of the power source of Argent D'Nur. The Helix Stone led us to the Crucible, so if it has an agenda, it has no love for Hell—it's quite possible UAC really was literally refining the Hell out of it and getting Argent D'Nur's power back for their own use.

And while there is zero evidence of this in the text, as well, I like to think that it was the Betrayer of Argent D'Nur who hooked Doomguy up with the Argent absorbers on his suit. As a Night Sentinel, he'd know how, and does Hell really think that "the wages of treachery is suffering" applies only to others?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Alternately, the Night Sentinels, used to dealing with Wraiths and their energy, already all have Argent Absorbers or similar built into their SWEET loving ARMOR, JESUS IT LOOKS COOL.

Also, the Spider Mastermind was one of the bosses that killed me, because I didn't see the floor-and-platform electrifying happening, and as Alexey showed, GODDAMN, that will roast you up good.

Great LP, Alexey, good commentary, thanks for the show!

EDIT: I'm struck by the fact that the game essentially does its credits in the same way the DOOM movie did. I wonder if that's a coincidence. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

ManxomeBromide posted:

The thing I find weird here is that the outer circle cultists might well have been right. They'd been talking about refining Hell Energy into clean, efficient Argent Energy, but Hell Energy is itself a corruption of the power source of Argent D'Nur. The Helix Stone led us to the Crucible, so if it has an agenda, it has no love for Hell—it's quite possible UAC really was literally refining the Hell out of it and getting Argent D'Nur's power back for their own use.

And while there is zero evidence of this in the text, as well, I like to think that it was the Betrayer of Argent D'Nur who hooked Doomguy up with the Argent absorbers on his suit. As a Night Sentinel, he'd know how, and does Hell really think that "the wages of treachery is suffering" applies only to others?

My reading of it was that the betrayer -is- the Doomguy, and that being betrayed by hell in their deal in addition to his world being cast down into it, caused him to go on his unending, unstoppable rampage.

auzdark posted:

This was good fun - I've been travelling for the last two years and haven't been able to play any of these awesome games. I've had to get my fix via LPs.

The guardian Knights thing feels to me that it kinda connects the DOOM and Quake universe - maybe too obvious? but I do like the speculation and stories not really explaining everything - Hugo kinda goes over that on the NoClip documentary a bit about it all being a bit secondary but leaving enough breadcrumbs to let people make up their own minds.

Looking forward to the extra content :)

Also could you explain more? I don't really know anything at all about Quake but I'm rather interested in hearing about it.

• Locked thread