Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I played DOTA2, i'll get by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A lot of times, especially for games terminology or more recent technological stuff, the common parlance has accepted to just use the English term for it. Sometimes it's because a literal translation would sound stupid, overly long or clunky, or it's already used up by something else.

Like in the new game Prey, where in the German version the main enemy type is still called the decidedly English-sounding mimic, because the closest German word to that, Mimik, means "facial expression" and not "tries to hide its presence by adapting an unassuming form"

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

Is there no German verb available that means 'to impersonate'? Or can you not 'make' nouns from verbs in German?

Edit: Also, what the heck is the difference in pronunciation of mimic vs mimik?

The first i in Mimik is long. Also yeah, you'd have to go with something like "Imitator" or "Mime" (both German words, and yeah most Germans would probably think of street performers first for the latter word), which are both heavily connected to persons, whereas mimics are not persons.

• Locked thread